Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pep Hamilton a candidate for Vanderbilt job

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pep Hamilton a candidate for Vanderbilt job

Mixed feelings here.

Default Re: Pep Hamilton a candidate for Vanderbilt job

Ugh please no. We cant keep getting a new OC every year

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah I want him to stay. We can't keep installing new offenses every year. Gotta have some stability.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

I'm fine with him moving on. Get someone established in here that has a better feel for how to use our players within the framework of the overall system. Not try and keep falling back to his security blanket that clearly we didn't have the horses for.

I don't think I'd fire him... depending on who might be available if I did anyway... But I think I'd be happy to have him move on of his own accord and take that decision out of my hands.

I don't want a revolving door at the OC position but I'm skeptical he was ever the answer and I'd rather try and find the answer 'now' versus wasting another year or two to make that decision and still rebooting the position sooner rather than later anyway.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even if he leaves the Colts for a HC job, Grigson will hire someone who shares the same philosophy as Pagano.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Hopefully a decision is made before Norv Turner lands somewhere.

I'm not wild about the idea of Luck having his third offensive coordinator in as many seasons, but I wouldn't shed a tear if Pep left. I came around on him at the end of the season because his play calling improved a lot, but those three plays on the NE goal line when it was 21-12 are pretty haunting. Two hideous runs and an ugly fade to Fleener. I don't think I could ever completely trust Pep to not go back to the crappy stuff.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For a consistency standpoint I would hope he does not go because a third offensive coordinator in three years is not a good way to start out with a young QB.

Like Sollozzo said those play calls on the Pats goalline when we were within striking just made me just not trust Pep. He did a good job adjusting finally to the fact that we were just not a power run team, but then in the biggest game and biggest point in the game for us reverted back. Two hand offs right up the gut was just insane.

I would love for Norv to be brought in if Pep does leave, but the power run game is coming from Pagano too so my guess they would find someone else who wants to run that. Norv would want to open it up and go pass first to setup the run.

If Pep goes I will not shed a tear, but I would not be unhappy if he stayed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if it's "coming from Pagano." I'd say the power-run thing is an organizational route. I don't know if "power run" is the exact right philosophy, but an emphasis on the run cannot hurt. Pep ran the ball a ton at Stanford, with Luck behind center. Was like a 60/40 split on runs to passes, even with one of the greatest college passers in history. So Pep definitely was part of the whole power run movement. In fact, I'd say that's why they brought him in.

I don't mind power run, necessarily, if they put in place the right pieces. This was the problem this year. We didn't have an offensive line capable of executing that plan. It sort of worked to start, but an injury or two and then wheels fell off.

I think Pep could be alright. His one cardinal sin this year was just taking wayyy too long to adjust his plan. Once he did, the offense definitely improved. He still made a few head-scratcher calls here and there... I'd chalk that up to just inexperience. I'd bet he's a fine coach/coordinator down the road.

I'd be willing to give him one more year to see how he improves... but if he leaves, oh well. Just hope we bring in a good one.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Before we think pagano would get another pep let's remember his first pick was arians

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Now it's my turn to be the darksider. Pep needs to go. I don't want to waste another year hoping a leopard can change it's spots, when all the evidence out there supports the idea that Pep is what he is. The offense looked so much better when Luck had the ball in his hands, going in the opposite direction is a bad idea.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now it's my turn to be the darksider. Pep needs to go. I don't want to waste another year hoping a leopard can change it's spots, when all the evidence out there supports the idea that Pep is what he is. The offense looked so much better when Luck had the ball in his hands, going in the opposite direction is a bad idea.
    I think sometimes people forget he has spent more time as an NFL coach than a college coach. I agree he has a track record on his pro coaching style.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I'm sure Skip Bayless's thoughts on this will be entertaining to say the least...

But even though I'm not big on Pep I hear Brian Schottenheimer being a possible OC candidate and honestly I find that worse....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I don't know if it's "coming from Pagano." I'd say the power-run thing is an organizational route. I don't know if "power run" is the exact right philosophy, but an emphasis on the run cannot hurt. Pep ran the ball a ton at Stanford, with Luck behind center. Was like a 60/40 split on runs to passes, even with one of the greatest college passers in history. So Pep definitely was part of the whole power run movement. In fact, I'd say that's why they brought him in.

I don't mind power run, necessarily, if they put in place the right pieces. This was the problem this year. We didn't have an offensive line capable of executing that plan. It sort of worked to start, but an injury or two and then wheels fell off.

I think Pep could be alright. His one cardinal sin this year was just taking wayyy too long to adjust his plan. Once he did, the offense definitely improved. He still made a few head-scratcher calls here and there... I'd chalk that up to just inexperience. I'd bet he's a fine coach/coordinator down the road.

I'd be willing to give him one more year to see how he improves... but if he leaves, oh well. Just hope we bring in a good one.
    Sure that's what Irsay wanted and Pagano is an advocate of that thus the hire.

I would like to give Pep one more year as well. Saw some improvements from him last weeks but he indeed kinda blew them with that playcalling in the redzone. Plus, let's see what he will do with those who are coming back from injury.

I am not against having a dependable running game. Far from it. Going to the extreme is when I have problem with if you have a franchise QB behind Center. If I had Alex Smith, I would not have a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    From the organization's standpoint, it would be pretty hard to justify firing him. 11-5 record, Luck was much more protective with the ball, we had the fewest turnovers of any team in the NFL, and we were slammed with a bunch of nasty injuries to key players. The fewest turnovers thing is a bit of a misnomer because it's a sign of a very conservative offense, but it's still a decent stat. Plus Pep did show a willingness to improve things down the stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the guy and wouldn't shed a tear if he left. But I just think it would be pretty hard for the Colts to justify not giving him another season.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Sure that's what Irsay wanted and Pagano is an advocate of that thus the hire.

I would like to give Pep one more year as well. Saw some improvements from him last weeks but he indeed kinda blew them with that playcalling in the redzone. Plus, let's see what he will do with those who are coming back from injury.

I am not against having a dependable running game. Far from it. Going to the extreme is when I have problem with if you have a franchise QB behind Center. If I had Alex Smith, I would not have a problem at all.

I think this is what most of us worry about. I do not want to go to the extreme where we do not rely on our best player to win us games. I go back to the two play calls on the goalline. Most important point in the game for us and if we score we are right back in it and it changes everything. Defense was playing a little better and then we just throw away with two wasted runs up the middle. Then Luck was handed a crappier play call to pull something out.

I am all for running the ball because when it was Peyton and Edge tearing it up the offense was a site to see. I just do not want us defining what we are. The Pats never define who they are. Every year they change it up to meet who they have on offense and what each game dictates.

In our game, BB knew we could be ran on so he devised a game plan to run all over us. If we had a top 5 run defense his game plan would have changed and they would have thrown it. Saying oh we are a power run game or we are pass first, second team just limits your offense.

We need to find balance between the two so our offense can evolve based on who we play. That is what we did with Edge in town. Some games it was the Edge show and others it was the Peyton show.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sadly apparently Zimmer is looking to get Norv Turner as his OC. He was available last year and I wanted him then, too
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I'm a little torn. I think Pep did OK, but just OK. But I absolutely don't want to switch OCs again.

And from Pep's side, why would you want to be a college head coach compared to an OC in the pros? Particularly an OC in a great organization with Andrew Luck as your QB? You could ride that to a NFL head coaching gig.

If Pep takes the job, it's because the organization wants to make a switch and they encouraged him to do it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo

Pep's spent the vast majority of his career in the pros. I'm sure he'll listen, and I know Vanderbilt's a head job in the SEC, but despite what Franklin did there it's a TOUGH place to win. If you're in his shoes do you make a questionable move down for a pay raise but put yourself in a tough position to further your career, or stay where you are and start getting NFL head coaching chances pretty soon? If Pep leaves it's because we didn't have to fire him, not because he wanted to make the move, in my opinion.

All that said, I'm fine with him moving on. He did improve as the year went on though.

The Job was offered to Derek Mason(Stanford DC) instead

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...view/#comments

Pep Hamilton sticking with Colts after Vanderbilt interview

Getty Images
    The Colts might need to make some changes on offense this offseason, but they donít need to worry about changing coordinators.

According to Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com, Colts play-caller Pep Hamilton has pulled his name from consideration for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt.

That means he wasnít going to get it, but itís still good news for the Colts, who have other issues to worry about.

Hamiltonís interest in a college job isnít unusual, given his background as the offensive coordinator at Stanford. But this keeps him working with quarterback Andrew Luck, and a chance to build on a playoff team.

UPDATE: 10:59 a.m. ET: Feldman followed up with a report that the job was offered to Hamilton, and a plane was ready to pick him up before he declined.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

One college reporter (sorry can't remember his name or his Twitter handle) on Twitter yesterday said the job was Pep's but he declined and chose to stick with the Colts. They even sent or were about to send a private jet for him and his family to take them to Tennessee. Don't know how true that is, I'm just posting it.

Am happy for a couple of reasons. Luck staying with the same coordinator and we will probably be more effective in the 2nd year and with the players coming back from injury. If he continues the playcalling of the last weeks, I will be happy.

Pep will be a better OC this year but we watched as he grew into the job. Either way it's not a big deal. I am less concerned with our OC than our DC.

Pep will be a better OC if he has his top two runners, top two receiving targets, and best interior guard healthy for most of the season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Before we think pagano would get another pep let's remember his first pick was arians
    Yes, but let's also remember that Arians was very conservative as well until he took over for Pagano. I'm starting to think that Chuck may be the bigger problem.

You can't say that defense and running the football isn't a good formula for success. Even with the heavy emphasis on throwing the ball, the two teams that made it last year were of that defensive mold, and the 2 NFC teams are the same way.

I'm willing to give him another year when he actually has weapons that aren't IR. Either way, I'm not sure who is out there that is going to do any better.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Really, I just want the OC to call plays that will work more times than not. If the line can't open and sustain holes long enough to break TRich then let's not call a couple of TRich runs and a questionable fade on 3rd down when those runs haven't worked all season and call them when the stakes are even bigger.

I'm afraid Pep Hamilton is always going to go to his security blanket (which is about as far from secure as you can get this season but that didn't stop him from calling those plays). Hopefully he and the rest of the staff can learn to play to our strengths while the FO works toward getting them the team they want versus the team they have (so when Pep does fall back on his security blanket it's actually a team strength).

------

-John Wooden