Thread: Interesting story about Larry Bird and Chuck Person during the 1st round of the 1991 playoffs

Default Interesting story about Larry Bird and Chuck Person during the 1st round of the 1991 playoffs

http://deadspin.com/you-know-who-als...-bi-1500463120

You Know Who Also Untied His Opponent's Shoes? Larry Bird

So it turns out that J.R. Smith isn't the only basketball player to have untied an opponent's shoes during free throws. A couple decades ago, another trash-talking, non-urban volume shooter pulled the same stunt, and somehow managed not to get written up by a professional sportswriter as a cross between Curly Neal and the lamb-horned beast from the earth. Shame on you, Larry Bird.
    Bird and Person continued their personal battle. At one point when Bird was out of the game and lying on his towel in front of the bench, he reached over and untied Person's shoelaces as the Pacer waited for a free throw at the other end.
    That's from Jack McCallum's Unfinished Business, excerpted earlier today on The Stacks. McCallum is writing about Bird's jousting with Indiana's Chuck Person during the first round of the playoffs in 1991. Bird got off without a fine, so far as we can tell. Once upon a time, the NBA wasn't so afraid of itself.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Interesting story about Larry Bird and Chuck Person during the 1st round of the 1991 playoffs

In Reggie Miller's I Love Being The Enemy book, he has some absolutely hilarious recollections of Bird serving up Person with some legendary trash talk. One time around Christmas, Chuck was on the bench and yelled at Bird that he wouldn't be playing so well if he was in the game. Reggie said that Bird looked at then Pacer coach Bo Hill and said, "Bo, put this clown in" and tried to get Bo to put Chuck in the game before the ball was in bounded. When that failed, Bird got the ball right in front of the Pacer bench and said, "Chuck, this is for you, Merry Christmas" and drained a three in Person's face and then proceeded to taunt him some more. Reggie said that it was some of the best trash talk he had ever seen.

Reggie also said that when he himself was a dumb rookie, he once tried to throw off Bird's rhythm when he was shooting free throws. He yelled something like "hey!, hey!" when Bird was shooting a free throw one time. Bird looked at him and said, "You gotta be kidding me rook, you gotta be kidding me", then drained the first one. He then proceeded to lecture him by saying, "I'm the best damn shooter in this league right now, understand? And you're up here trying to say something?" Swishes the second. Reggie said that Kevin McHale was laughing his a** off during the whole thing, and that was the last time he ever tried to talk smack to Bird. He did say that later on in his rookie season, Bird came up to him and told him that he loved his game and that he would be a great player some day, which meant a lot to him.

We all know that Reggie would talk trash to virtually every player in the league, but he learned very early on to never talk trash to Larry Bird or Michael Jordan because they would completely embarrass you. He said that one time early in his career, the Pacers will killing the Bulls early in an exhibition game because the Bulls were just going through the motions and didn't really care. Chuck Person then baited Reggie to talk some ***** to Jordan, and Reggie being a young cocky player took him up on it and started yapping at Jordan. Big mistake. Jordan took over the game and won it. At the end of the game, Reggie said that Jordan came up to him and said, "Don't ever talk ***** to me again." Reggie said that he learned two lessons after that: 1) He never listened to Chuck Person again, and 2) He never talked ***** to Jordan again. He also goes into some details about that fight that him and MJ had that one time.

Reggie's book is almost 20 years old, but it's required reading for any Pacers fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Being-Ene.../dp/0684870398
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-14-2014 at 11:53 AM.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Interesting story about Larry Bird and Chuck Person during the 1st round of the 1991 playoffs

Do people not realize that times change, and what was acceptable nearly 30 years ago maybe isn't acceptable today? I'm not defending Bird, I think the move is immature regardless of who does it, but they might as well pen a story about how their grandma didn't have to wear a seatbelt, and they shouldn't either.

Now I'll go take a shower, as I feel dirty for defending the NBA.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

The lesson is this: If you are kicking *** and taking names, your antics are hilarious. If you and your team are stinking up the joint, your antics are loathsome.

Comedy history is written by the winners.

JR got fined after the second time....not the first.

Also, I feel like since Bird and Person went back and forth it changes the tenor of things. When you're just one jackass untying anyone's shoes it comes off differently.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Its a little bit of both. Larry Bird was more beloved by the media than JR Smith so there's that factor and NBA has become "wimpier" over time so something that was laughed at a 30 years ago wouldn't be now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Eh I feel like if it was done between two people who were rivals it wouldn't be a big deal even now. Especially if done even once.

JR was just doing it because he was a child.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I thought it was funny. Why didn't Wade( I think it was him) and Artest get fined for picking up a lost shoe and tossing it into the front row? This is the same idea and intent, no? It is a game. The league needs to not themselves so seriously.

I'm sure the issue is related to player safety, regardless of how likely or unlikely it is, moreso than the NBA just not having a fun bone in their body.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.