Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers & Rockets supposedly interested in Bynum

Exclamation Pacers & Rockets supposedly interested in Bynum

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...n-Andrew-Bynum

Not much of an article but Houston? Donatas Montiejunas and Asik want trades. Gonna bring in another big man? I can see why Indy wants him though. Mahinmi is just terrible. You can't even throw the ball into him and "bluff post".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers & Rockets supposedly interested in Bynum

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Not much of an article but Houston? Donatas Montiejunas and Asik want trades. Gonna bring in another big man? I can see why Indy wants him though. Mahinmi is just terrible. You can't even throw the ball into him and "bluff post".
    Mahimni is not a bad player, and he is not a team wrecker like Bynum. No thank you.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would **** bricks if we got Bynum we have a stable locker room with leaders.

can u imagine a fit and ready to play Bynum with Roy goodnight miami.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

I will be pissed if we sign him.....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I will be pissed if we sign him.....
    Were you also pissed when we drafted Lance?
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

PASS.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post

I feel the same way. Larry, Herb, Walsh at the top of our FO. West, Roy, Vogel at the team level. We have the structure to keep Bynum focused away from goofing off. And maybe the way this organization is run will rub off on him. We did after all turn Lance around. And you could make a case for Artest too. If that cup doesn't hit him in MoTown. But I think IF this is even 40% true? They're thinking it's low risk. If he acts up to a point? Cut him. But financially it doesn't hurt us in the long run. And Bynum clogging up the lane vs. Miami when Roy is in foul trouble or resting makes things difficult for LBJ and Wade. Can't just go around him like they can Ian. And Bynum can still take people in the post. He had some good games for Cleveland while he was there off the bench. The man is still very capable of producing 12 and 10 off the bench. And if they make losing poundage and mental re-focusing part of the agreement for him to come on board, by the time the ECF roll around he could be very valuable.

Sports Logo

I really don't like blanket statements like this. Mahinmi was brought in for his defense...not his offense. Overall....he's a good defensive Player and below average Offensive Player....what do you expect from a Backup Center? His role is not to score...his role is to defend the paint....anything else that you get from him....even if it's scoring on touchbacks and bunnies....is icing on the cake. If you expect him to be anything more than that....you have too high expectations for a frickin Backup Center playing 18 mpg.

As for why the Pacers would have any interest....at most...it would be to be the 3rd Center in our lineup ( which I do think we need )...or ( more than likely ) just to keep him away from the Heat.

Maybe there is some interest from the Pacers....but I don't see how the Pacers could guarantee him any consistent Backup Center minutes....which I just don't see the Team giving him and is the ONE THING that I think he wants from any Team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

It would definitely be interesting...
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

I agree with your second statement. Having both Bynum and Roy going at a high level would be unfair. If I was Bird, I probably wouldn't take the chance, though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I really don't like blanket statements like this. Mahinmi was brought in for his defense...not his offense. Overall....he's a good defensive Player and below average Offensive Player....what do you expect from a Backup Center? His role is not to score...his role is to defend the paint....anything else that you get from him....even if it's scoring on touchbacks and bunnies....is icing on the cake. If you expect him to be anything more than that....you have too high expectations for a frickin Backup Center.

As for why the Pacers would have any interest....at most...it would be to be the 3rd Center in our lineup ( which I do think we need )...or ( more than likely ) just to keep him away from the Heat.

Maybe there is some interest from the Pacers....but I don't see how the Pacers could guarantee him any consistent Backup Center minutes....which I just don't see the Team giving him and is the ONE THING that I think he wants from a Team.

Ok here's Bynum's best game during his stint with Cleveland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYP7e5zx3rI

I'd love to have that coming off our bench. He is HUGE! And he makes it so difficult to get to the rim when he's in the lane. His presence and shot blocking ability is exactly what you need in a center, and is a bonus in his current scenario. Which would be backup center. And even with a few extra pounds, dude still moves well in the post! As for Ian, he does NOTHING WELL is my point. I don't want Ian to be a scoring machine. But he isn't an anything machine. Why do you think the FO pursued Robin Lopez in the offseason? We didn't get him because NO wanted a deal where they took back no salary. So they traded him to Portland. But if the FO was as happy with Ian as you seemingly are, they wouldn't have even inquired. But that deal was set to go IF NO had said yes. But they said no. Needed to clear salary for Tyreke. So we lost out. Bynum doesn't need to score. His scoring is a bonus. His size, presence, and shot blocking is what we need versus Miami. Not to mention he has played in big games with the Lakers and won rings. So he's "been there".

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Were you also pissed when we drafted Lance?
    Completely different.... Bynum doesn't even like basketball.... why would we want him? Bynum is a much bigger headcase than Stephenson was, and this guy has been in the league a few years.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 01-11-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Not to mention our rep as best defensive team in the NBA would increase even more (if that's possible). If you start to the basket, and see a guy like Bynum there....you're gonna think twice. And that's all the time PG or Lance need to sneak up and get a steal or force a shot clock violation.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I rarely visit RealGm, is it reliable when it comes to this type of stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Completely different.... Bynum doesn't even like basketball.... why would we want him? Bynum is a much bigger headcase than Stephenson was, and this guy has been in the league a few years.
    The Pacers would be making a relatively risk free move. Sign him for the rest of the year at cheap... if he causes trouble cut him. Stops the Heat from getting him and if he pans out- he's a pretty good back up big.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Would love to get Bynum. I don't care how much he hates basketball, he's still good at it.

From what I read his top priority is money so I don't see how we can offer him more than some of these other teams.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

As for Ian, he does NOTHING WELL is my point. I don't want Ian to be a scoring machine. But he isn't an anything machine.
    Yeah, you are just dead wrong here. There is nothing around this. His defensive rating is 93. That is tied for the best in the league with Roy Hibbert for C's who have played at least 10 games. His BLK% is better than Dwight Howards. You will be hard pressed to find a back-up C who fits our defensive system better than Mahinmi. Your statement is factually wrong.

28. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

RealGM's source for this rumor is from this Q&A with a Cavs beat writer:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....e_another.html

Hey, Mary: I love the trade of Bynum for Deng but would hate for Bynum to end up with the Heat and help them win another championship. Bynum seems like a perfect fit as a backup center to Roy Hibbert since both are big post players and the Pacers are used to feeding the post. What would make this deal even better is for Bynum to help the Pacers knock off the Heat. Do you think that is a marriage that would work? If not, where do you see Bynum going? -- Rich Smith, Columbus

Hey, Rich: I think the Pacers are one possibility. I've also heard Houston could be in the mix.
    Really not much there.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

low risk, decent reward

Roy's been an ironman, but if he even sprained an ankle, we'd have Ian starting and Scola at C. Not ideal.

If he will come for peanuts, and if he acts up, you cut him.

We have a cohesive group of guys who aren't going to be ruined by a backup C walking in the door.

Do I think he has the ego to accept being a backup? No. But if somehow he does accept it, up front, then why not?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

If there is anything to this, I would not be opposed to it. The Cleveland experiment had very little chance of being successful considering how young and inexperienced the Cavs were. We've got the leadership and established culture. It's a classic case of low risk, high reward. You keep him away from the Heat which is always a plus. If he acts up you just cut him.

Of course, this all depends on if there is anything to this rumor and I kinda doubt there is...
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 01-12-2014 at 12:20 AM.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Would love to get Bynum. I don't care how much he hates basketball, he's still good at it.

From what I read his top priority is money so I don't see how we can offer him more than some of these other teams.

We're out done I think by $1.5 million by the Clippers. Miami just picked up Roger Mason Jr. and someone else for the rest of the season. They don't have the $$ to sign Bynum, also they'd have to cut someone from the roster. Clippers have more money to offer than we do. But now that Reddick is back and they just signed someone also. I am not sure there's room there either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Mahimni is not a bad player, and he is not a team wrecker like Bynum. No thank you.
    Can't see any one person wreck this team.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Can't see any one person wreck this team.
    Wreck it? Maybe not. But when you have a team that is the best team in the NBA, bringing in a possible distraction is not a good thing. He was complaining about minutes as a STARTER in Cleveland, he will not like his minute count here.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

I'm on the fence on this idea.

If the Nets want Bynum then I can't see any team being more appealing to him. I know they haven't been brought up as a front runner but I doubt if they'd have requested the medical exception if they didn't want to use it. They need a center, they have the most money to offer, the most playing time and a possible starting spot. It seems like money will be the biggest draw to Bynum.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post: