Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis Colts off-season thread

Default Indianapolis Colts off-season thread

Here is the place to discuss the Colts off-season? What do you think we should do? I personally would love to draft Jarvis Landry from LSU, possible replacement for Reggie

Default Re: Indianapolis Colts off-season thread

I hate that he draft is pushed back to May I mean the Pacers will be in the playoffs at that time and to have that and the draft... that sucks.

Although the NFL may be doing them a favor because I don't know how the NBA is going to promote the playoffs this year with so many stars injured etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate that he draft is pushed back to May I mean the Pacers will be in the playoffs at that time and to have that and the draft... that sucks.

Although the NFL may be doing them a favor because I don't know how the NBA is going to promote the playoffs this year with so many stars injured etc.
    I know its highly unlikely, but looking at the average healing time for a torn meniscus, shouldn't Rose be back for the playoffs? (they're tanking anyway)

but back to the thread, we also need to find defensive playmakers, what about Jarius Byrd? He will have a high price tag, but he is a hell of a player

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I know its highly unlikely, but looking at the average healing time for a torn meniscus, shouldn't Rose be back for the playoffs? (they're tanking anyway)

Rose is out for the season

Yes we definately need defensive playmakers although not having that 1st rounder is going to hurt(that's really what bothered me the most about last night's loss we don't have that to look forward too)

Rose is out for the season
    yea but Rose didn't count out the possibility of coming back for the playoffs

Yes we definately need defensive playmakers although not having that 1st rounder is going to hurt(that's really what bothered me the most about last night's loss we don't have that to look forward too)
    ehh, I think we are superbowl contenders now, and 1st rounders sometimes take time to develop (like Bjoern Werner). So first round picks are overrated, at least in our case I believe.

True but I think a 1st rounder would be a better option than T-Rich has been.

If it were a 3rd round pick for T-Rich it wouldn't bother me as much but 1st rounder? That just stings I'm sorry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate to beat a dead horse in the ground, but it was frustrating to watch Boldin tear it up for the Niners today when they traded a SIXTH ROUNDER for him. I know they got a Harbaugh family discount, but still. Then you stop and think that we traded a first for T-Rich. I'm not even watching the draft this year, not that I ever do anyway (aside from 2012).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm still not giving up on Richardson, I think he'll improve with a full off-season and training camp to work

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

On offense:

O-line. Period point blank.
    I want to see 3-4 rotational-quality OL acquired, whether via draft or FA. Nothing flashy, just good solid, fundamental players. If we can find Jeff Saturday as an undrafted free agent, let's do that again. If we need to address our line coach situation, then let's do that. I honestly don't know anything about the guy, but this year was bad. I'm not sure if we just had bad players, or the coaching sucked. I do get the feeling that Howard Mudd could've made something happen with these guys...I like our running backs, QB, TEs.

I actually don't mind our receivers, Luck just needs more work with them. We probly aren't getting pre-injury Wayne back in any form, whether it's him, or a replacement. I'd like to see either 1 WR in the draft, or possibly bring in a vet in some slick move that gets us a reliable receiver without too much of a price tag. But I like Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, Rogers, and we do actually still have this guy named Reggie Wayne, who I have a sneaking suspicion isn't ready to call it quits.

On defense:
    I'm gonna leave this to the coaches. Our D wasn't *bad*.... just inconsistent. They seemed to adjust as the game goes on, so I have hope for the coaching. Sometimes our run-stuffing was impressive, and other times, gashed. Sometimes our pass defense was stifling and other times a revolving door with the same guys. Our linebackers and safeties, same story. I'll assume we'll see some defensive moves this off-season, and I'll go with it.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-12-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

If I had to rank our needs:

1. Center: Satele is awful. He is pushed back consistently on every single play. I really hope Grigson doesn't have faith in Holmes, who was horrible in college, and goes out and signs one of the good centers on the market. Alex Mack would be the top prize. He might be the best center in the league, and centers usually don't get the franchise tag, making him open for business. If not, guys like Brian De La Puente and Evan Dietrich-Smith are available and would be massive upgrades.

2. Inside linebacker: I love Freeman, but no one else at ILB can do anything against the run. Sheppard is a quality backup and Conner has proven to be acceptable, but we need another starter at ILB. Angerer is awful and will be gone for sure. Karlos Dansby and Brandon Spikes are the biggest prize, and I think Spikes is the more reasonable choice there. He is clearly on the way out in New England, and we can afford his salary. He would improve the run defense in a drastic way.

3. Free safety: Bethea is done. Landry didn't play well either, but his injuries give him another shot and his contract will be tough to get rid of. Jairus Byrd is the big target, but I do not think we can shell out the money for him. Rafael Bush from New Orleans would be a nice fit.

4. Guard: I think this might be filled through what we have right now. McGlynn is leaving, which will be a huge upgrade. Donald Thomas is coming back, and Hugh Thornton will have a lot of experience under his belt. He wasn't great but I think he has potential. Re-sign Reitz and use another draft pick on a guard and I think that could do it.

5. Defensive line: I like the core of Redding-Chapman-RJF, but there needs to be some depth. Montori Hughes should provide some next year, Pendleton looks to be NFL-caliber, but we need some defensive ends. Maybe a late draft pick will work.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know who I believe would be a fantastic fit for us?
    Anquan Boldin. Seriously I would cream my pants if we picked him up. He is a pro's pro.
    MAKE IT HAPPEN GRIGSON
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They will not re-sign Reitz. They didn't count on him when he and everyone else was fit. Which is very unfortunate cause I would class him our best Guard maybe available from the fit ones right now.

I know he has injury problems but would be nice if he was signed for a cheap contract and have him as a backup.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse in the ground, but it was frustrating to watch Boldin tear it up for the Niners today when they traded a SIXTH ROUNDER for him. I know they got a Harbaugh family discount, but still. Then you stop and think that we traded a first for T-Rich. I'm not even watching the draft this year, not that I ever do anyway (aside from 2012).
    True now giving up a 1st rounder for him I at least understand.

I follow the Colts at a distance. I watch parts of games, and end of games if it is close.

I know the old saying you are what your record says you are. But the Colts just don't seem nearly as good as the top teams and they don't seem like an 11-5 team to me.

Seem to have excellent coaching, great attitude - never quit, and they have Andrew Luck. But they need some significant upgrades in a lot of areas.

Signing a wide receiver is basically sending TY Hilton or Coby Fleener to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I follow the Colts at a distance. I watch parts of games, and end of games if it is close.

I know the old saying you are what your record says you are. But the Colts just don't seem nearly as good as the top teams and they don't seem like an 11-5 team to me.
    Colts lost too many important players. Next man up only goes so far when TOP talent goes down for the count. Yes all teams experience bad breaks but losing your #1 receiver, your #1A and #1B starting running backs, and your starting TE just killed the Colts offense. Shoot, even a Peyton Manning offense takes a hit when you lose an important cog.... example Edgerin James or Dallas Clark.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Edge was a bigger loss than Dallas Clark IMO at least when Clark was around you still had Harrison and Wayne

Sounds like Bethea and DBrown have said their farewells to the Indy lockerroom. Pretty much guarantees a Ballard/Richardson backfield.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the passing game I think we are pretty set with TY, Whalen, Brazil, Wayne, Rodgers, Fleener, and Allen. I would not mind another WR in the draft though because I really doubt Wayne will be back as old Wayne next year.

The biggest need on offense is the offensive line. Donald Thomas will be back next year at guard so that will help solidfy the line. His loss really hurt the offensive line and forced a young guy who was not ready into the spot. It did help in the development Thornton, but it did hurt in the short term. Hopefully we can find our starter at center in free agency or the draft.

If Ballard and Richardson are our guys I am still worried because a RB coming off an ACL usually takes a lot longer to come back. Again I would not mind if a RB was picked up in free agency because I just do not trust Richardson.

Defensively we need help at corner, safety, ILB, and even outside linebacker because outside of Mathis we get zero pass rush.

Luck this should have dispelled this little idea of a power run team that just focuses on the run like Pagano and Pep wanted early in the season. We need to open up and let the pass set up the run. Spread them out and then hit with Ballard/Richardson.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Stephen Holder also says the Colts have about $30M in cap space.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think we need to draft a corner because Toler is not the answer what so ever
    Smothered Chicken!

Agree with the above posts which do a good job at articulating the o-line needs and necessary defensive upgrades.

I still want an upgrade at receiver. I'd love to have a crusty vet like Boldin on our team, who has been absolute beast in the last two postseasons. Hilton was absolutely awesome over the last month and showed that he can defintely be a WR1 in the NFL. I'm as big of a Reggie Wayne fan as the next guy, but he is coming off of a big injury and will be 36 years old next year. Even if he bounces back next year, which I think he will, we still have to face the reality that he is definitely in the twilight of his career. I like Rodgers/Brazil/Whalen, but I'd like a little bit more insurance.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: