Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA considering mid-season, 4-team tournament & playoffs featuring top 16 teams?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NBA considering mid-season, 4-team tournament & playoffs featuring top 16 teams?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/...ll-but-no-more

Team executives are encouraged by a growing perception that incoming commissioner Adam Silver will be more open minded than his predecessor, David Stern, who will hand the reins to Silver on Feb. 1. Though there's little consensus on an idea floated to replace the draft lottery with a "wheel" concept that would lock in the draft order regardless of record, executives view the proposal as a sign of Silver's flexibility and willingness to buck conventional wisdom.

Optimism about Silver's willingness to listen to ideas is so widespread that one longtime exec mentioned a bold idea that is starting to make the rounds in front-office circles: a midseason, single-elimination tournament involving the four teams with the best records at the All-Star break. The games wouldn't count in the regular season standings, but would serve as a much-needed entertainment boost as the league tries to ratchet up interest for the second half. The concept hasn't made it beyond casual conversation, nor has another idea that's gaining traction among front-office types: filling the 16-team playoff bracket with the best 16 teams regardless of conference. With every NBA team flying charter instead of commercial, the potential inconvenience of first-round series pitting Eastern vs. Western conference teams would be minimized. A new playoff format also would guard against this season's preponderance of playoff-worthy teams residing in the West. But even with a more open-minded commissioner, such drastic changes are a long way from becoming reality.

Though I like that Silver is willing to be open to new ideas, the tournament is a bad idea, IMO. Since it wouldn't count in the standings the teams wouldn't take it seriously. There's no incentive. Besides, the NBA should be looking into fewer regular season games, not more.

The playoff restructuring proposal is interesting, but then you have to ask, what's the point of having different conferences/divisions? And if the teams are seeded #1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15, etc. it would reduced the likelyhood of early upsets, which is what makes the NFL and NCAA BB postseasons so popular.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NBA considering mid-season, 4-team tournament & playoffs featuring top 16 teams?

This sound like a front office proposal. Good luck getting it through the players association.

Default Re: NBA considering mid-season, 4-team tournament & playoffs featuring top 16 teams?

No thanks.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

If the games wouldn't count in the standings why would we play guys like Geroge and Hibbert at all?

It would be Miami's scrubs vs. Indiana's scrubs.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the games wouldn't count in the standings why would we play guys like Geroge and Hibbert at all?

It would be Miami's scrubs vs. Indiana's scrubs.
    Or, it would be an all-alley-oops and between-the-legs contest with the added element of existing team chemistry. Might be interesting how, say, Steph Curry would do in a loose-atmosphere game where he doesn't have to defer to Kobe and Durant. He might hit 20 3's.

Not sure if I like this idea, but I bet it goes in this direction.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Or, it would be an all-alley-oops and between-the-legs contest with the added element of existing team chemistry. Might be interesting how, say, Steph Curry would do in a loose-atmosphere game where he doesn't have to defer to Kobe and Durant. He might hit 20 3's.

Not sure if I like this idea, but I bet it goes in this direction.
    And when Kevin Durant gets injured during one of these "exhibitions" GM's and coaches refuse to play their best players, basically nullifying the idea in the first place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the open mindedness to new ideas, but what would be the point?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    And when Kevin Durant gets injured during one of these "exhibitions" GM's and coaches refuse to play their best players, basically nullifying the idea in the first place.
    Why haven't star players refused to play in the all-star game after Wade broke Kobe's nose?

noooope

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Why haven't star players refused to play in the all-star game after Wade broke Kobe's nose?
    The concept is an exhibition. Would this "tournament" be viewed the same way? Would players get multiple days off surrounding the event? Not buying it.

I agree, that's a really bad idea. Just the effects of these past 10 games show us that the nba needs fewer games not more.

The mid season exhibition doesn't interest me, but I am interested in the best 16 teams being in the playoffs. Better post-season, more appropriate lottery teams as well.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The All-Star game is enough, there is no need for more exhibition games. It would basically amount to preseason in the middle of the year.

If I were Bird I'd call up the entire Mad Ants roster if we ever qualified for such a tournament. It's a really bad idea.

As for the 16 team tournament, I dunno. I think Hicks makes good points, but having two separate conference tournaments does a much better job facilitating playoff rivalries, IMO.
    Last edited by idioteque; 01-11-2014 at 11:42 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I'm all for anything that will spice up the regular season. It's too long and monotonous. The NCAA has all these nutty little in season tournaments which aren't exhibitions, and I wouldn't mind seeing some mini-tournaments hosted by a couple of teams that count towards the official standings. Mid-season exhibitions don't excite me a great deal but I could get on board with some of this stuff under the right circumstances, sure.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Heck, if they want a good lottery for the first pick, let the bottom four teams play each other in a mini-tourney for the top pick at the end of the year. The kicker is that to get the top pick, they actually want to WIN the mini-tourney. Picks 2-4 would be granted in order of finish.

That way, a team may want to give up players in order to tank during the season, but they have to be careful not to totally suck.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm all for anything that will spice up the regular season. It's too long and monotonous. The NCAA has all these nutty little in season tournaments which aren't exhibitions, and I wouldn't mind seeing some mini-tournaments hosted by a couple of teams that count towards the official standings. Mid-season exhibitions don't excite me a great deal but I could get on board with some of this stuff under the right circumstances, sure.
    I'm so sick of seeing the Pacers play the Pistons, Celtics, Nets, Hawks, Cavs, Raptors each of which seems to pop up on the schedule 3 times in two weeks. By January, it's clear who is good and who isn't. Cut the season to 50 games, throw them all in a HUGE tournament that would replace the current playoff system. Best of 7 each round. To keep the loser teams engaged, have a losers bracket where they compete for an offseason NBA TV "Hard Knocks"-style reality show or maybe the right to represent the NBA in friendly competition overseas while the playoffs are still going...a few weeks at most and make it like a vacation for the players and their families, all expenses paid. The NBA is always wanting to move abroad...For those teams, any publicity is good, right? I mean, how many fans really know about the Kings, Pelicans, or Jazz? Something to keep every team in the league engaged up until season's end. This current 82 game season was founded back when there were like 3 networks on TV and other than that, there wasn't much to do for media-based entertainment. It's so archaic.

This would never happen though because the league is an 8-team league and the rest of the teams serve only to be highlight reel fodder for the stars.
    Last edited by DocHolliday; 01-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

30 teams means that everybody plays eachother twice, home and home, 58 games.

Keep the calendar the same, just play two games per week instead of three.

Top 16 teams get in, but the first round is best of three. This is the only way a #16 has a shot against #1.

2nd and 3rd rounds get reseeded.

Let's do it!!

Why does everyone always want to diminish the importance of divisions and conferences? Here is another lesson the NBA could take from the NBA, make divisions more important, not less. My proposal is you play your division 8 times a season , your conference teams 3 times each, one division from the other conference twice home and home, one division of the other conference once away, and one division from the other conference once at home. That makes 82 games, helps to build divisional rivalries, and makes how you perform within your conference and division a lot more important than how you perform in inter-conference. The scheduling is weighted towards inter-conference games at the beginning of the season, and divisional games at the end. Go back to the 3 divisional winners being seeds 1-3. Playing teams 8 times might seem like a lot, but by the 6th time playing each other they are going to hate each other, which is the point. Get these players to actually care, and the entertainment factor will increase. As well with most of the divisional games at the end of the schedule these games increase in importance, making the end of season games more exciting as they are more likely to have an actual affect on the playoff seeding.

I would like to decrease the amount of games (62 or 54 games), mostly by getting rid of inter-conference games, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Too much money at risk for that to change.

I agree with reseeding after each round based on record (divisional winner doesn't matter).
    Last edited by Eleazar; 01-11-2014 at 07:17 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would really like to see more regular scheduling among teams. We shouldn't play a team twice in a week then not again for months.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The all star game is meaningless so why would this be any different. It is just more meaningless games where players may get hurt.

Rather see them talking about less games in the regular season than this.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why does everyone always want to diminish the importance of divisions and conferences? Here is another lesson the NBA could take from the NBA, make divisions more important, not less. My proposal is you play your division 8 times a season , your conference teams 3 times each, one division from the other conference twice home and home, one division of the other conference once away, and one division from the other conference once at home. That makes 82 games, helps to build divisional rivalries, and makes how you perform within your conference and division a lot more important than how you perform in inter-conference. The scheduling is weighted towards inter-conference games at the beginning of the season, and divisional games at the end. Go back to the 3 divisional winners being seeds 1-3. Playing teams 8 times might seem like a lot, but by the 6th time playing each other they are going to hate each other, which is the point. Get these players to actually care, and the entertainment factor will increase. As well with most of the divisional games at the end of the schedule these games increase in importance, making the end of season games more exciting as they are more likely to have an actual affect on the playoff seeding.

I would like to decrease the amount of games (62 or 54 games), mostly by getting rid of inter-conference games, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Too much money at risk for that to change.

I agree with reseeding after each round based on record (divisional winner doesn't matter).
    I agree with this general idea, in part. Neither side is going to give in on 82 games ($$$$), so I'd have each team play every team in their division 5 times (20 games), other teams in their conference 3 times (30 games), and a home and home with teams in the other conference (30 games). Then have a strength of schedule component to each team's schedule for the final two games, where each team plays the team from the other two divisions who finished in the same place. So, for example, this season the Pacers would play the Knicks and Heat 4 times instead of 3.

And switch Portland and Phoenix in their divisions.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

34. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I find I like the idea of taking away the geographic link to the conferences and create two 16 team conference s that go across the country. Maybe put the ABA teams in one plus other teams, put Boston and LA in the other so that rivalry means even more. Make geographic divisions within the conference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked the Simmons idea he proposed a little while back... make the playoffs 16 teams regardless of conference, where the top 14 records get in and the rest of the teams do a two or three day tournament and the two survivors make the playoffs.

I like just about any out-of-the-box idea as long as it has a purpose. Sounds like this 4-team tournament doesn't, really.

That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. What is this high schoo?

How about get rid of the All-Star game and have the top seeds at that point play an "exhibition" game that decides which Conference gets the home-court for the finals? Personally, I find the All-Star game to be a bunch of BS. They could still have the Challenge events and the rookie-soph game, etc potentially built around it. If the AS game really has any legit value, let them switch to how NFL's doing it this year and play it toward end of playoffs or after they end.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata