Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Vs. Wizards Post-Game Thread - 1/10

Default Re: Pacers Vs. Wizards Post-Game Thread - 1/10

Great effort, great defense. West looked focused and ready to take over tonight. It's nice to play big again and see it work. I wish Paul and Danny were on but I guess they picked a different game to be off. I'm glad they have a few nights off now and I hope Vogel gives them some rest Sat. and Sun., these guys deserve a break. Nice to see Miami fall another game back tonight.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG has just had a horrid shooting month of January. Most of DG's misses seemed to be right on the money, but just rimmed out. Not too worried because overall he has shot the ball pretty well in January.
    Agreed. It was the 5th game in 6 nights for the team and Danny looked tired.

PG looked tired as well and it does make sense since he exerted a lot of energy in the Atlanta game but he is only shooting 37.6% in the month of January. That said, he has picked up his rebounding and assisting so it's not all bad. We have to find a way for PG to get some easy buckets, though. Have Lance set up some plays for him or put him in the post.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Paul seems to play too loose against lesser competition. I think he does that intentionally. He may be overconfident and trying to mimic Kobe Bryant and he just doesn't have the consistency yet. At this point, I would just let him roll. So far so good for the most part. Maybe this is just a rough patch on his way to becoming the next Kobe. Let's hope so because that means Paul will get a lot better.

As for Lance, I think he should be leading the offense every single time down the court. Players like Hill and West are great. West especially. But it takes extreme talent to beat teams like Miami. Guys like Wade and LeBron win championships...and as much as I like DWest...he's just another solid piece needing that superstar. We need a big three and no pretenders. That means that Lance, Paul and Roy need to bring it consistently....and Lance needs to be the guy breaking down the defense and making the game easy for his team mates. That's the recipe' that will be needed to become a truly dominant team as opposed to a team that squeaks by the likes of Miami.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm officially on the keep Lance at ANY cost next year train.....I don't care the price, I don't care who needs cleared to keep him.......he needs to be a Pacer next year or I will be very sad

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

When Jan Vesely checked in I thought it was Travis Diener

I would love for Indy to lock Watson up for a long term deal - he's a great PG!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully, a few days rest will do PG's shot good. His defense is definitely there, but offensively he is slumping.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I must have been at a different game. I thought Hill was getting used and abused all night long. While Watson was playing out of his mind. Vogel left Watson in the game to seal the win because Hill was letting Wall get to his spots too easily.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

DWEST really stepping and being a vocal leader. im sure many of you heard on the FSN when it was picked up DWEST scolding Lance for the careless turnovers.

truth is its not just Lance. Its PG as well. seems like the last two plus seasons the VERY SAME issues are present for this team.

Turnovers, its our downfall. Why can we not with the chemistry at this time not turn the ball over carelessly. I don't know where we are ranked but just seems like we commit way too many careless passes.

Where is GH3.? seems like his game has digressed. not calling out a trade but its frustrating. he did not step up the other nite vs ATL.

team still has too many dry spells offensively. with our talent we should score in the hundreds consistently. im beginning to wonder if the offense needs some tweaks to if anything cut down the turnovers. although that is just more to do with Paul and Lance.

When will Paul and Lance realize were better off just making the simple pass. the behind the head pass to Paul from Lance was ridiculous. unless your Larry Bird make the simple pass. not saying don't take risks but just careless passes .

this team is suppose to be practicing championship habits. these careless passes in the playoffs are going to cost us.

the way we play D if we can limit turnovers we beat anyone. I know we are not a pg oriented offense but is that to our advantage.

other than Rondo its not worth restructuring. just fed up with careless passes that lead to turnovers.

the Wizards did not even show up tonite. like DWEST scolded Lance on tonite.

We need to take care of the ball.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I must have been at a different game. I thought Hill was getting used and abused all night long. While Watson was playing out of his mind. Vogel left Watson in the game to seal the win because Hill was letting Wall get to his spots too easily.
    I was really happy to see this.....that is one of my only criticisms of Vogel is that he will often not fluctuate a bench players minutes even if the guy has got it going. There have been a few games where I thought Scola was a better player than West on that particular night yet Vogel would continue with the same minutes and substitution patterns despite this and bring in West. Watson/Hill is another spot this sometimes happens where Watson will be playing better on that given night and Hill comes in like usual anyways. Tonight though Vogel rewarded Watson's good play and effort with almost all the minutes in the 4th quarter and it was nice to see from Vogel. I hope Vogel continues to expand on knowing when is and isn't the right time to ride hot bench players. Tonight was a good night to ride Watson.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Wall only made 4 shots. Here is a replay for each one of them:

Basket number 1:

http://stats.nba.com/cvp.html?GameID...GameEventID=20

As you can see no one is to blame for that. Wall rebounds the ball and runs fast for a fast break basket, PG with West intercept him and stop the ball, West knocks the ball loose, Booker picks it up and leaves it for Ariza who finds Wall in the corner for a wide open 3. Hill was guarding Beal in the other corner and Lance with Roy were slow to get back because they were fighting for a rebound.

Basket number 2:

http://stats.nba.com/cvp.html?GameID...ameEventID=300

Wall goes around a Booker twice and Hill and Roy switch. Roy contests the jumper from the front while Hill goes through the Booker pick and contests the shot from behind. Wall makes the shot anyway.

Basket number 3:

http://stats.nba.com/cvp.html?GameID...ameEventID=338

You could possibly blame this on Hill. He doesn't fight over Gortat's screen quickly and Wall gets loose for a pull-up jumper right over Roy. Of course, Wall's pull-ups aren't the shots that we are particularly afraid of as a team but still Hill could fight over that particular screen better.

Basket number 4:

http://stats.nba.com/cvp.html?GameID...ameEventID=433

CJ turns the ball over, Nene finds the Wall on the break and Wall dunks it. Hill wasn't even in the game.

So, that's it. You want to put the blame for both of Wall's pull-ups on Hill? You can do it. I would only hold him responsible for the second one (basket number 3) but opinions can differ. Regardless, nothing from this game indicates that Hill was "used and abused". If he was used and abused then Wall would have made more than 4 shots (2 of them when Hill wasn't even guarding him). Wall missed 11 shots and I'm pretty sure that Hill was a big factor why.

That said, CJ was indeed great today. No argument against that. But Hill was pretty damn good as well.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I went to this game. It was nice to see a great crowd against an unexciting opponent.
    Another sellout too.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I know we are not a pg oriented offense but is that to our advantage.
    Yes, it is to our advantage. Look at what Miami does when opponents hit them with a PnR attack. They obliterate them. They make PGs suffer with the way they pressure the ball-handler. They can also put LBJ on the opposing PG and make him give up the ball easily. Our offense is not great but it's exactly what we need against Miami in particular.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Paul seems to play too loose against lesser competition. I think he does that intentionally. He may be overconfident and trying to mimic Kobe Bryant and he just doesn't have the consistency yet. At this point, I would just let him roll.

As for Lance, I think he should be leading the offense every single time down the court.

I agree with you on PG but Im not okay with "letting him roll" with it. Somone else mentioned it but we do miss Shaw in that regard. I don't think Kobe ever plays loose or overconfidently he just plays to win game in and game out. I realize Paul is only 23 but it is time he stop playing so "loose" and non chalent.

Reggie showboated but he never played loose. He scrapped. I would like to see more scrapp and fundamental basketball.

I do not want Lance bringing it up everytime until he stops caring about triple doubles to get paid begins making solid fundamental passes. Love Lance but this is not an and 1 video at rucker park.

I love DWEST for busting Lances *** for the sloppy careless passes. Same with PG... PG you cannot make a bounce pass to Roy Hibbert between two players and it be at Big Dawgs knees.

When these 2 kids hit their prime they are gonna be damn good but I guess until then we gotta take it in stride with the showboating.

Hope Pacers resolve the turnover issues by the Postseason.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yes, it is to our advantage. Look at what Miami does when opponents hit them with a PnR attack. They obliterate them. They make PGs suffer with the way they pressure the ball-handler. They can also put LBJ on the opposing PG and make him give up the ball easily. Our offense is not great but it's exactly what we need against Miami in particular.
    Yet we only get beat by MIA when we turn the ball over. Rondo crushes the Heat. Heat fans fear Rondo in a Pacers uniform.

All im really saying is we need to cut down on the turnovers. We average 15 a game and the league worst is 17.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...t/avgTurnovers

We can cut it down to 10 if Lance and PG would stop trying to imitate Magic and Larry.

Point is this team cant hit the broadside of a barn at times. 15 turnovers equals 15 less shots a game. lets say we cut it down to 8 TO's.

that's 7 more shots. and gives us an extra 6 pts a game. Those 6 pts in the playoffs will matter.

Again, Im thankful DWEST blasted Lance. Lance got the message clearly it sounded lke when he was interviewed at halftime.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Glad to see Beal back playing; he's a nice young player and he did well despite some tight D from Paul. Wow, we sure are running PG a lot of PnR plays. Maybe he needs a little more off the ball action. Lance's antics, man. After that charge he picked up, he was just standing under the basket, I guess, yelling at the refs; it seemed like he was asking what happened, like everyone went off the court but no one had clued him in on the situation. I think Larry was actually asleep when the Wiz broadcast cut to him towards the end of the game. 66 points is impressive, but not good for the attention span.

Ian Report: Eh, considering he went up against Nene, Gortat, and Seraphin at the end (when he generally struggles against bigger bigs), he did fine. His isos at the end of the shotclock could be a lot funnier. He nearly fouled out but also got a couple of calls on Nene; I thought the refs were inconsistent on most of the stuff around the basket, for Roy too. More dynamic in the first half than the second. Gets docked for missing two out of three free throws, though the Pacers were mostly bad from the line. 'B'.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I think Larry was actually asleep when the Wiz broadcast cut to him towards the end of the game.

haha. thank you for the Larry Bird comment. would love a gif/image of that if available. lmao.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Yet we only get beat by MIA when we turn the ball over. Rondo crushes the Heat. Heat fans fear Rondo in a Pacers uniform.

All im really saying is we need to cut down on the turnovers. We average 15 a game and the league worst is 17.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...t/avgTurnovers

We can cut it down to 10 if Lance and PG would stop trying to imitate Magic and Larry.

Point is this team cant hit the broadside of a barn at times. 15 turnovers equals 15 less shots a game. lets say we cut it down to 8 TO's.

that's 7 more shots. and gives us an extra 6 pts a game. Those 6 pts in the playoffs will matter.

Again, Im thankful DWEST blasted Lance. Lance got the message clearly it sounded lke when he was interviewed at halftime.
    Do you know when we turn the ball over, my friend? When Lance and Paul try to be PGs and run a lot of PnRs. That's when we turn it over. We don't turn it over a lot when we play through the post like we should against Miami.

A big part of our recent turnover problems it's our new offensive sets that involve a lot of motion. It gets us a lot of cleaner looks than we had in the past but they are also riskier and we end up having more turnovers than we had 2 seasons ago.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Ian Report: Eh, considering he went up against Nene, Gortat, and Seraphin at the end (when he generally struggles against bigger bigs), he did fine. His isos at the end of the shotclock could be a lot funnier. He nearly fouled out but also got a couple of calls on Nene; I thought the refs were inconsistent on most of the stuff around the basket, for Roy too. More dynamic in the first half than the second. Gets docked for missing two out of three free throws, though the Pacers were mostly bad from the line. 'B'.
    I would actually give him an A. He was very active tonight and battled for every inch against Nene.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Words can not describe how big of an upgrade C.J. Watson is over D.J. Augustin
    I'ma try to use some words to describe it though:

real big upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    I'ma try to use some words to describe it though:

real big upgrade.
    Hella big.

I agree with you on PG but Im not okay with "letting him roll" with it. Somone else mentioned it but we do miss Shaw in that regard. I don't think Kobe ever plays loose or overconfidently he just plays to win game in and game out. I realize Paul is only 23 but it is time he stop playing so "loose" and non chalent.

Reggie showboated but he never played loose. He scrapped. I would like to see more scrapp and fundamental basketball.

I do not want Lance bringing it up everytime until he stops caring about triple doubles to get paid begins making solid fundamental passes. Love Lance but this is not an and 1 video at rucker park.

I love DWEST for busting Lances *** for the sloppy careless passes. Same with PG... PG you cannot make a bounce pass to Roy Hibbert between two players and it be at Big Dawgs knees.

When these 2 kids hit their prime they are gonna be damn good but I guess until then we gotta take it in stride with the showboating.

Hope Pacers resolve the turnover issues by the Postseason.
    Vogel is a bit hands-off rather than micro-managing the players so we are going to have to live with it. It would be worse if the coach imposed their will on the players. I don't think you can have it both ways. Yes, they can be advised to tone it down and I'm sure they are getting some of that. But there is a point where you sit back and realize that nothing is going to be perfect. The players are in the right environment to mature and I doubt you can force these guys to grow up. If they weren't 29-7, I'd be more likely to want intervention. As it is, these show-boaters are helping this team to the best record in the NBA. Even more, the show-boaters tone it down against Miami and the other contenders...so I'm not concerned. Let the boys play and become men.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Vogel is a bit hands-off rather than micro-managing the players so we are going to have to live with it. It would be worse if the coach imposed their will on the players. I don't think you can have it both ways. Yes, they can be advised to tone it down and I'm sure they are getting some of that. But there is a point where you sit back and realize that nothing is going to be perfect. The players are in the right environment to mature and I doubt you can force these guys to grow up. If they weren't 29-7, I'd be more likely to want intervention. As it is, these show-boaters are helping this team to the best record in the NBA. Even more, the show-boaters tone it down against Miami and the other contenders...so I'm not concerned. Let the boys play and become men.
    I'll be a little more concerned when it's not a 20 point blow out.

Meanwhile, the awesome pass from Lance was missed by PG. It should have been a dunk.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

34. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BTW, anyone else genuinely surprised at how good of a back up Butler has been? His FG% is great.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    BTW, anyone else genuinely surprised at how good of a back up Butler has been? His FG% is great.
    I wish we could get him a few more minutes. He's not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'll be a little more concerned when it's not a 20 point blow out.

Meanwhile, the awesome pass from Lance was missed by PG. It should have been a dunk.
    Yes, and people keep saying Lance needs to stop throwing the ball away yet he has the second best assist/turnover ratio of all starters. He blows away Paul, Roy and even DWest on turnovers. Yes, that is the fact of the matter. Sure, George Hill protects the ball better but what does George do to break down a defense and get guys easy baskets...against tougher defenses? Well, not that much. I like all of our starters but to direct the angst of the turnover problem...which is a real one on this team....at Lance Stephenson is misdirected. The problem is more than that and it may have to do with our offense and how it works. Too much hero ball is going on and not enough passing. At the same time, hard to complain about that record...so I'm going to live with it as-is and hope they shore up the turnovers.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: