Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014-01-08 Pacers lost to Hawks. Post game thread

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: 2014-01-08 Pacers lost to Hawks. Post game thread

Too many games in a very short time span is where I am going to blame this one on for now.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

This is another one of those games on the end of a back-to-back where the team
    has "rested". Considering their current standing, there is no big need for them to
    kill themselves with over-exertion. I don't have much of a problem with this loss.

On a side note, Lance didn't look like he was too pleased about sitting this one out.
    "Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers were bored when the game started. Had to get down big in order to get motivated
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance is that important to this Pacers team.

We could eventually find ourselves and win without him over the long haul. But we don't win the way we've been winning. Granger certainly helps strengthen the bench but he doesn't help strengthen the starting lineup.

With Lance we're a legitimate NBA title contender who needs nothing but to play our game to win it all. Without Lance it would be an uphill battle at best.

Yea we could just chalk this up to to a schedule loss, but I think Lance being missed played an even bigger part tonight. We got nothing out of our offensive sets and we weren't just missing shots... we weren't getting them. That has more to do with offensive execution than fatigue Imo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

This loss signifies, at least imo, how important Lance Stephenson is to this ball club. Quinn made the point a few times, but even before he did, it seemed evident that Lance could have injected some much needed energy into our team. $9 mill a year?? Probably worth it..

The Wally Champ is back !!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ant For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our style of play takes a big effort on both ends of the court.
    Especially by the bigs who spend so much time "bodying up". Most teams, noticeably,
    expend most of their energy on one end and "rest" on the other.

We noticeably exhaust ourselves to such a degree that it takes more time than 24 hours to recover our strength.

It is a shame that our thirst for the game is so great that we will satisfy ourselves with such a depleted product.

Luckily for us the more sporting, more entertaining, more equitable (for our entertainment dollar) playoffs will not hobble us in this fashion.

p.s.
    I would not be mad at fans who quit attending the second night of back to backs.
    Lessening the number of games by that dozen or so would be better for everyone.

The product we see.
    The wear and tear.
    The longevity of careers.
    The boring looong azzed season.
    There are likely several other reasons.

But it's not going to get any better as long as the fans show up.
    C'est la vie

Dutch Pacers Fan

Despite all of our struggles, we were really close, but I think over the course of the game, we missed like 12 wide open shots. Didn't like the pace we were playing with, we were walking it up every single time for about 30 minutes I thought. Bad decision, with our bigs not being able to punish the hawks. Danny had some good plays and also some room for improvement. Whenever he drives and the lane isn't open, he should pass it to the other side, get the defense moving. Not throw some silly lob to back it out, to pg at almost the same position he was standing before. Move the ball side to side.

Have to agree about Ian, he played well. Teague cannot be guarded by George Hill, but we knew that already. Good thing Frank switched PG and Watson on him eventually.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Pacers were bored when the game started. Had to get down big in order to get motivated
    With all due respect, but that sounds like total nonsense to me. 4 games in 5 days and 6 games in 9 days seem to me like the biggest factor here. And I agree about Lance not playing being another important factor as he gives so much energy and initiates so much for us, but even without him our team should have enough to dispatch the Hawks (even though they are sort of an angst-gegener for us on their homecourt)

Anyway, I'm not blaming the team here. And IMHO the number of games should, but won't due to commercial motives, go down in future years.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I was there. It was hard for me to get a sense of the Pacers without Lance playing.

But I got a sense of the Hawks. This is not the Josh Smith Hawks. They play very fundamental on both sides of the court. They gave up no easy baskets, rebounded with a ferocity, had great ball movement, penetrated and dished all night, and were very smart about their shot selection.

I was just a few feet away from a basket that Roy and West missed several five footers. Not sure what that was all about.

Otherwise, you guys could see what I saw in person at the end of the game. When we started a legitimate comeback in the last couple of minutes, PG and Hill started jacking up threes on fast breaks where much better percentage shots were available. That's no way to consistently win ball games.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 01-09-2014 at 07:43 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Let's just blow up this team already. We've lost 2 of the last 10 this is just getting out of hand.
    Bring Danny off the bench

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Yea we could just chalk this up to to a schedule loss, but I think Lance being missed played an even bigger part tonight. We got nothing out of our offensive sets and we weren't just missing shots... we weren't getting them. That has more to do with offensive execution than fatigue Imo.
    I actually thought we got a lot of good shots up, but just missed. Our bigs especially missed a lot of chip-shot bunnies (which is becoming all too common these days) and Paul and Danny both missed a handful of open 3's that they would normally knock-down.

I'm not necessarily saying we lost because of fatigue, but I don't believe the loss of Lance hurt us to the point where we couldn't get ANYTHING against a .500 team playing without their best player.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

We could eventually find ourselves and win without him over the long haul. But we don't win the way we've been winning. Granger certainly helps strengthen the bench but he doesn't help strengthen the starting lineup.

With Lance we're a legitimate NBA title contender who needs nothing but to play our game to win it all. Without Lance it would be an uphill battle at best.

That's a helluva conclusion to draw after one road game on a back to back, and the 4th game in 5 nights.

Just my 2 cents

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I actually thought we got a lot of good shots up, but just missed. Our bigs especially missed a lot of chip-shot bunnies (which is becoming all too common these days) and Paul and Danny both missed a handful of open 3's that they would normally knock-down.

I'm not necessarily saying we lost because of fatigue, but I don't believe the loss of Lance hurt us to the point where we couldn't get ANYTHING against a .500 team playing without their best player.
    Missed some bunnies we should of made, but they all weren't good shots either. The bigs never got the ball in any kind of rhythm. Discombobulation and then hero ball at the end to make it look better is what I saw. Fatigue played a part too, but Lance was badly missed.

Here's a question: IF MIA weren't so damn good and breathing down IND's neck for the 1 seed, and IF the Pacers didn't need HCA so much in that series...would you like to see Vogel channel his inner Popovich and rest guys like Hibbert/West at points during the season?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

I agree, but this is alittle over blown. The reason we lost this game is that we didn't make the Hawks pay in the post. Our bigs were terrible All of them!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Ace E.Anderson;1766841]That's a helluva conclusion to draw after one road game on a back to back, and the 4th game in 5 nights.

Just my 2 cents[/]

I'm sure this isn't the first time he thought this. Some of us have known Lance, or a player like him, would be needed to win a ring for some time now.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Oh yea, i just realize that if Lance sits out tomorrows game too, then we might hear "The Captain!" during the starting line up announcement.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

I don't think Lance being out affected anything. We looked out of it until halfway through the third quarter
    David "And One" West

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Lance is important and not having him was a huge factor but we don't win this game with Lance either. We're not winning many games without a front court showing up.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tonight pointed out some issues, and none of them involve "we can't win without Lance" or "we can't win with Danny".

We have real trouble hitting shots when the game starts. They are wide open looks, we're just short, or flat, or too hard. If we go too long, the defense has to be perfect in order to give us the chance to get going. The defense is not going to be perfect every night.

Our defensive scheme is to funnel guys toward Roy in the post. If Roy is pulled to the perimeter, that won't work, and we don't have a Plan B. The closest we would have would be to pull Roy back toward the post and have someone sag off another perimeter player to cover a long jumper from the 5, but that doesn't work when all 5 opposing players can hit a 3 as soon as they get a step on you. THIS is what people talk about when they talk about how the ability to "spread the floor" bamboozles defenses. You can't defend against dribble penetration because you have to stay up on your man to prevent the 3. You can't leave someone in the post because 4 guys simply cannot rotate fast enough to cover 5 guys on the perimeter. An offense built on this is going to also be built on taking advantage of any defensive indecision. It doesn't always work because you live on the success of the 3 pointers, but when (as last night) you open up with 4 of 6 long jumpers going in - 2 of them for 3 - it's going to be a long night. Our comeback in the second half was as much because of those jumpers not falling at a 85%+ rate as it was anything else.

We were sluggish, heavy-footed, and slow. I don't think it was effort - I think saying "they didn't care" is a frustrated fan cop-out - I think they were pushing through something. Whether it was fatigue from 6 games in 9 nights (including practically every other day spent traveling), nagging injuries, pending illness, or whatever, I think this is temporary. We are through the most fatiguing part of the schedule (I think we have one more fairly nasty set of games toward the end of the season), so let's hope not to see this next week.

When we get behind, we go to on-on-one hero ball. That's fine if it works, but when it fails no one is rebounding missed shots (not yet in position), players are rushing 3-pt shots to try to close the gap all at once, and defenders are so busy focusing on offense they aren't getting back. Somebody out there has got to be able to impose the mentality of "just get a stop THIS possession .... just get a score in rhythm THIS possession ... just get a stop THIS possession ..."

The good thing is that this may finally be to the team what PG's 0-point game was to him last year. A wake-up call, something to get us moving as we get through this month and get to the All-Star "break".

If nothing else, this is a proof of adversity coming from success. There's no reason to change when things are working, so you are behind when they stop doing so.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Why we lost:

Roy got outplayed by a rookie

George Hill got outplayed by Teague. Usually Hill steps up his game vs fellow Indy players, not last night unfortunately.

Paul George decided to play hero ball when we made a run in the fourth quarter
    David "And One" West

I didn't realize we only shot 9 free throws to their 22. That's no good

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Why don't we ever feature an "3 point" lineup? But both Butler and Cope in the game. Those two don't miss
    David "And One" West

PG was carrying us most the night. He played hero ball the entire game. He got a few baskets with the help of our offense, but the rest he did on his own

40. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I wonder if something is up with Hibbert.....22 minutes but only had 1 foul and went 1 for 8 shooting and 4 rebounds.
    Roy's defense was a little soft and the Hawks negated his effectiveness by having guys like Antic and Mike Scott step out and shoot threes. He was also ineffective in the post and missed several layups right at the rim. It was his worst game of the season for him. Vogel sat him the entire 4th quarter in favor of Ian and Scola.

It's not all Roy's fault though. It was a terrible game. They had their worst 1st quarter of the season, scoring only 12 points on 24% shooting. They also started the 3rd quarter badly and dug themselves a hole way too big to come back from (25 point deficit). By the time they finally decided to play some defense and move the ball to get good open shots, it was too little too late.

Most of the team played really below their talent and abilities last night so I'll just save time and say who played well. Rasual Butler deserves player of the game honors. He is such and stone-cold sniper from the 3-point line. He should've played down the stretch when it was obvious that they needed some 3-point shooting to get the score below 8 points.

Honorable mention goes to CJ Watson and Paul George. Paul really did an excellent job on the boards and when he ratcheted up his defense, the team was able to make a good run. CJ played good defense on Teague and made it harder for him to get to the rim. Prior to him coming in during the 3rd, he was blowing past George Hill at will.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 01-09-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post: