Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-01-08 Pacers lost to Hawks. Post game thread

Default 2014-01-08 Pacers lost to Hawks. Post game thread

Guess it is such a depressing lose, for so long no one start a post game thread.
    So here it is.

I didn't watch the game.

Wonder how Danny's starter performance comparing to Lance's?
    How much it is Danny's fault to lose the game?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sherlock For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2014-01-08 Pacers lost to Hawks. Post game thread

Too much bad defense early, couldn't buy enough baskets, the offense in general left a lot to be desired, and all the while the refs made some "interesting" decisions, too, which never helps.

I wish I knew what caused them to play like this. Are they tired? Are they assuming the Hawks couldn't beat them without Horford? Something else? I don't know.

I didn't feel like any one guy was worth blaming for it. I'm sure you can round up some names if you want, but this felt like a team loss to me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

they looked lethargic out there.. i assume from the travel stress with the storm, and all the games they have been playing..

They have earned my trust and respect enough to just let this one go ... as just one of those games that every team has..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

This was a team loss. But its become far too common for our team to look like this. They need to start holding each other accountable for a lack of effort. In this context effort is short for, boxing out, going after loose balls, closing out and driving to the lane. I get that they were tired after a bit of a rough stretch, but they clearly had energy, they showed so in the 4th.

They have to stop waiting till the 4th to think its worth flipping that switch. They aren't the Heat, the refs aren't going to help us come back from a deficit by sending us to the line the entire 4th quarter.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

I hate to see Paul take 25 shots and way too many 3's but no one else seemed to want it tonight. Losing Lance hurt but Roy was a bigger issue tonight. If you just compare from his past games Granger seems to still be progressing, I'd like to see him play a little more aggressively and demand the ball more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just don't feel like the Pacers have played well a lot lately, even our wins just seem like bad basketball.

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I just don't feel like the Pacers have played well a lot lately, even our wins just seem like bad basketball.
    This.

Last time I can remember good basketball was that 3 game stretch when Danny came back. After that we have just looked lethargic. Almost as if the team just expected with Danny back we thought they would all be that easy.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I hate to see Paul take 25 shots and way too many 3's but no one else seemed to want it tonight.
    Paul had to take those shots tonight. No one else had it going and he had to try to bring us back.

Also, I have no problem with Paul taking as many shots as he wants in the RS. I'm perfectly fine with it if our players are fine with it and he's scoring on a good clip. It honestly saves the forum from a lot of whining from certain posters.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This.

Last time I can remember good basketball was that 3 game stretch when Danny came back. After that we have just looked lethargic. Almost as if the team just expected with Danny back we thought they would all be that easy.
    I disagree with the timeline that you mention. The second Brooklyn game, the first Cleveland game and the New Orleans game were good as well.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Paul had to take those shots tonight. No one else had it going and he had to try to bring us back.

Also, I have no problem with Paul taking as many shots as he wants in the RS. I'm perfectly fine with it if our players are fine with it and he's scoring on a good clip. It honestly saves the forum from a lot of whining from certain posters.
    It was most likely our best game plan tonight with the hole we were in and the way our post players were playing. In most cases I'd rather not see him take that many shots.

Sports Logo

I wonder if something is up with Hibbert.....22 minutes but only had 1 foul and went 1 for 8 shooting and 4 rebounds.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Just a few quick points for me:

- they missed Lance's contributions. I don't know about assists as in the 1st half there's a lot of missed shots but at least he could've been a better offensive option to this game than Hibbert or West.

- That bad 1st half was the major reason of the loss. It's not like the Hawks were in a scoring rampage, it's just that everybody at that time can't make baskets.

- That 2nd half burst from PG and DG was encouraging. A little too late in the game though.

- The MIAs in this game are Hibbert, West and Scola. Our 3 front court guys that should've dominated the Hawks' frontline combined for 14 points, 7/25 fg, zero FT attempts. It's just not that easy to win if they are struggling that much to score.

- We did have some nice contribution off the bench. At least a positive from a disappointing loss.
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 01-09-2014 at 12:15 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I disagree with the timeline that you mention. The second Brooklyn game, the first Cleveland game and the New Orleans game were good as well.
    Those 3 games we trounced our opponents. Its been a downward slide since then. And the NO game didn't look good till the 3rd quarter. We looked disinterested then as well. We were just able to flip the switch soon enough.

Sports Logo

I like that Granger was more than willing to attack the basket. He CLEARLY is not as good at Lance when it comes to creating shots for others....but I've noticed that he has a tendency to drive and then look for Players to pass it off to.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Those 3 games we trounced our opponents. Its been a downward slide since then. And the NO game didn't look good till the 3rd quarter. We looked disinterested then as well. We were just able to flip the switch soon enough.
    This goes back to what I've ( and many others.....most notably hoosierguy ) have said about relying on a great 2nd half and playing like that for an entire half. Sometimes the Team digs itself into such a big hole that there was nothing that the Team could do to pull themselves out of the hole.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert was the worst I've seen him in a long time. He seemed totally exhausted from the moment he hit the court and was rushing the few shots he got.

It just wasn't the Pacers night, to be honest, it probably would've been better to pull a Popovich and rest the starters after halftime really, 6 games in 9 nights is just pretty rough.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This goes back to what I've ( and many others.....most notably hoosierguy ) have said about relying on a great 2nd half and playing like that for an entire half.
    I agree, we got away with it in the beginning of the season because we were getting great first quarters. Then in the second half out bench would give up the lead or let the team eat into it. But then we would crush the teams in the second half.

But now our starters aren't building a lead. And our bench lets the opponents extend the lead.

This was a team loss. But its become far too common for our team to look like this. They need to start holding each other accountable for a lack of effort. In this context effort is short for, boxing out, going after loose balls, closing out and driving to the lane. I get that they were tired after a bit of a rough stretch, but they clearly had energy, they showed so in the 4th.

They have to stop waiting till the 4th to think its worth flipping that switch. They aren't the Heat, the refs aren't going to help us come back from a deficit by sending us to the line the entire 4th quarter.
    I know what you mean, but i believe they switched it earlier this time. West was leading the team in the third, but the Hawks kept answering our runs. Hibbert not playing well against his Hawks isnt helping either..

Granger played well later on while playing heavy minutes, thats a welcome sign.

Hawks circled this game on their calander and it showed. We cant match that energy level day in day out. Well, at least not without our most energetic guy.

Not to down about this loss
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEEman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Are we going to consider it bad basketball whenever we don't trounce our opponents? I don't expect us to trounce our opponents whenever we play a team. I'm not into beatdowns.

I do expect us to win most of our games but I'm not expecting blowouts. Those kind of comfortable wins when we didn't blow the other team out but were never in danger of losing the game either qualify as good basketball to me.

We aren't going to play at the 100% of our capabilities in every regular season game. No team can do that. That's what the playoffs are for.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Another thing to point out is that their rookie Antic plus cover just opened up the Pacers defense. If your center is hitting 3s (he made 3/6 3fg) it pulls away the opposing big man away from the paint. JOB's offense at work ladies and gentlemen.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

I agree, we got away with it in the beginning of the season because we were getting great first quarters. Then in the second half out bench would give up the lead or let the team eat into it. But then we would crush the teams in the second half.

But now our starters aren't building a lead. And our bench lets the opponents extend the lead.
    I am not sure but over the last few games our bench has been solid enough to hold on to the lead or just go toe-to-toe with the opposing teams in the 2nd quarter. Of course the starters still provide the usual spark in the 2nd half to win the games, but I think the bench has been pretty good recently.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    I am not sure but over the last few games our bench has been solid enough to hold on to the lead or just go toe-to-toe with the opposing teams in the 2nd quarter. Of course the starters still provide the usual spark in the 2nd half to win the games, but I think the bench has been pretty good recently.
    Of course they have been decent. I wasn't knocking them. But the truth is they aren't eating into deficits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Hibbert was the worst I've seen him in a long time. He seemed totally exhausted from the moment he hit the court and was rushing the few shots he got.
    potentially scared of Antic, justifiably (looks like a war criminal)

Lance is that important to this Pacers team.

We could eventually find ourselves and win without him over the long haul. But we don't win the way we've been winning. Granger certainly helps strengthen the bench but he doesn't help strengthen the starting lineup.

With Lance we're a legitimate NBA title contender who needs nothing but to play our game to win it all. Without Lance it would be an uphill battle at best.

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Wow, this thread is deserted.

That was a tough one for a lot of reasons. Great D by the Hawks; reminded me of the Bobcats when they are on point. They were physical (yup, that works against the Pacers) and made sure that our inside guys struggled. I don't have anything on Roy. Has Luis had a worse game this year? His defense in the pick and roll was astoundingly bad. He and West got beat time and time again. Very frustrated with their lack of effort. At some point, we are going to have to discuss why the offense is this way and why Frank is to blame. That three by Carroll might have been the biggest shot; the Hawks finished poorly but shots like that kept them alive.

Ian Report: **** the refs, man! They not only **** him over, but they were really inconsistent about it. They don't call the straight up at the end of the third on Teague, but he gets called for bumping heads with Antic? No foul call on his put back attempt (to be fair he should know he's not getting that one called), but a phantom foul after his great block (which isn't in the box) on (maybe) Millsap? I don't feel comfortable grading him with what the zebras, West, and Scola did to him tonight. He deserved better, and the 357 people at the game in Atlanta deserved better. He still missed his free throw long and flat. Again, no words on Roy but no wonder we caught up after Mahinmi replaced him. Real bummer this one was.