Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 177

Thread: Vnzla81

  1. #126
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    OlBlu is without a doubt one of the weirdest dudes I've ever run into on the internet.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  3. #127
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,131

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recently hit my 10 year mark. Hasn't my tenure kicked in by now? I doubt they'd want to take on the union if they banned me.
    Too late. I already lobbied to make this a right-to-post site.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  5. #128
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,842

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @sollozzo: you are wrong in so many ways that for you to say "you don't understand" mean that you're telling me one of two things, either you truly don't understand/are to blind to see and to that I can only express pitty or you are an agent for Vnzla and he posts through you, which I can understand, but not appreciate.

    What we tried to achieve with this banning, like we did with all the non-spam bannings around here, is to improve or restore the community feeling and posting with respect for what this board is known for throughout the world. Shwoing respect is not easy, being polite even harder, but still it is nice if we all try to be civilized in our postings, and this make this a place where you can come daily to read up on and discuss one of your favorite topics which in actual fact should you do this at home or in the local, might earn you a bad rep for never having anything else to talk about.

    play nice

    I have nothing else to say about it. I've expressed every feeling I have on the issue, and at this point I would only be fanning the flames. While I disagree with the banning, I do appreciate that multiple administrators gave me long honest replies while also allowing 5+ pages of open discussion on the issue.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  7. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    I agree 100% with count. I stayed out of the Pacer forum for the past while it was unreadable. Every thread turned into exactly what he stated in his post. I haven't read post of the Pacer board for the past while. It is frustrating it had to end this way, but it is for the better. I know I will start reading the Pacer threads again.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  9. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Regardless of where one stands, I have to think one thing many (all?) can agree on is how awesome it is that this thread be allowed to go 5+ pages. Other places it may have been shut down after one post, but I appreciate TPTB taking time to explain their rationale.

    Now come on Pacers! I am so ready for the playoffs to start, and we still have half a season left to play.

    GO PACERS!

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  11. #131
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. I always appreciated these posts.

    Too bad that that he made a lot more of those other posts, though
    This is disingenuous. (In my opinion) you were one of the main people who provoked vnzla and advocated for his banning. It's not a surprise that you two didn't get along--vnzla was almost as irrationally negative as you are irrationally positive, but the spare me the crocodile tears.

    I've been around for a while, reading well before I signed up, and (in my opinion) Hicks has gotten a lot more rational and tolerant as a mod over the years, but I think it was a bad move to ban vnzla and I hope it can be reversed. He was a good counter-balance to the sunshine pumpers, had an OK sense of humor, and brought a lot to the board. If people who "couldn't stand him" used the ignore list as much as they talked about it, I don't think we would have had any problems.

    Message boards where disagreements with the dominant view are discouraged are less interesting. Predictably, hoosierguy will be the next target of the masses, and if/once he gets kicked out, they'll find someone else to gang up on.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  13. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is disingenuous. (In my opinion) you were one of the main people who provoked vnzla and advocated for his banning. It's not a surprise that you two didn't get along--vnzla was almost as irrationally negative as you are irrationally positive, but the spare me the crocodile tears.

    I've been around for a while, reading well before I signed up, and (in my opinion) Hicks has gotten a lot more rational and tolerant as a mod over the years, but I think it was a bad move to ban vnzla and I hope it can be reversed. He was a good counter-balance to the sunshine pumpers, had an OK sense of humor, and brought a lot to the board. If people who "couldn't stand him" used the ignore list as much as they talked about it, I don't think we would have had any problems.

    Message boards where disagreements with the dominant view are discouraged are less interesting. Predictably, hoosierguy will be the next target of the masses, and if/once he gets kicked out, they'll find someone else to gang up on.
    I agree to a point. Look I like Vzl and though he brought some great stuff to the board. He just started to go overboard. I mean he kept saying we need to replace West with a younger guy. While his idea was fine and seemed brilliant it was impossible. Yet he kept saying it was possible and that we just over value West's intangibles. The fact of the matter was we were way over the cap and keeping West was the only option. Unless you consider signing a Carl Landry level player for MLE money an option (which shouldn't of been)


    He kept saying sign Milsap trade for Varejoe the only problem was they were out of our price range and way out of it. He refused to believe that idea(even though it is a fact) and now takes all his frustration out on West who is living up to his contract with his play. Add in his intangibles he is a bargain. But like Count55 said the issue became he would ram his views down other posters throats and he never even understood or cared/ respected the other person.

    I have no issue with Vzl like I said he is a solid poster if he didn't have people who take his bait. The board just suffered due to his posting he doesn't deserve all the blame, but he needed to go. I hope what you say isnt right in terms of the next poster being targeted. But chances are a new Vzl will pop up. I do agree I like people with different opinion than mine. Hell when I get hired as a coach I am going to hire people I disagree with. The only difference is they will respect me, and we will get better due to disagreement not just *****.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  15. #133
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,269

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Somewhere V must be smiling. He's gone from the board but we still can't stop talking about him

    There are a lot of thoughtful posts in here so I'll try to continue in that vein. To understand where I'm coming from, please note that I've defended V in the past when I felt that people were unfairly ganging up on him. I also hold unpopular opinions on occasion and generally think that they could use more of a voice on the forum. At some point though, I realized that it was more about V than about his views, because other darksiders could freely post their opinions without getting criticized nearly as much. I'd point to Bball in particular, who's probably the granddaddy of darksiders on the board.

    What about V made him such a polarizing figure then? I submit that there are other posters who are more annoying, more likely to blow their own horns, and more likely to employ faulty logic in their arguments. No, I think what differentiated V was that he was *everywhere* - 5th highest post count did someone say? So he both held unpopular opinions, and was extremely loud about it. On the surface, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong about that, but if you think about it, it's somewhat akin to going inside a church and proclaiming loudly that there's no God to the worshippers. I'm not saying it's right for such a person to get lynched in that situation but he sure as hell is going to get some ugly responses. I think this explains in part the reception V habitually got - to a lot of people he's just an attention seeker, a troll, or simply a nut.

    With that said, I think count55's post (intentionally or not) paints V unfairly as some sort of internet villain who's out to destroy the great community of PD with his trolling. I think count's description of V's effect on the forum is accurate; what he didn't articulate is that same vicious cycle probably worked on V too and hardened him in the process. I think V like a lot of us is just a dude seeking validation for his opinions on an internet forum. The critical responses he gets though, caused him to double down on his positions. When he's asked to be less negative (I assume he's been asked), he channels that into snarkiness instead. By feeling that the whole forum was against him, he turns that into victim syndrome.

    While I can understand (I think) V's thought processes, the fact is the forum became a very bad place and right or wrong V was at the center of it. I'm not to going to sit here and criticize the mods for either being too lax or too strict either on V or V's critics. I've never moderated before (and have no wish to) but I suspect like with all things related to people management, it's nowhere near an exact science and there's no guarantee that any other path would have led to a better outcome. My view here is that the admins have done a great job for 10+ years; they have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from us in my opinion.

    In any case, I think the situation has gotten to the point where either V had to go or a whole bunch of other people had to go. (And apparently there are others who were already staying away.) From a pure numbers' perspective, V was the logical choice to go. From the point of view of being a good internet citizen, well no one is blameless in this affair I think, but V is certainly one of those who are deficient. And most importantly (for me anyway), the authorities who I trust say this is the right move, and I don't think there's any glaring evidence to say otherwise.

    I think in the future after more time to dwell on his personal development, there might be a scenario where V comes back and becomes a valued forum member. I know I said I won't backseat mod but my impression of Hicks is that he's kind of soft-hearted actually and would probably entertain a genuine appeal, should one come. 'Til then, I think I've said everything I want to say about V.

  16. #134
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Message boards where disagreements with the dominant view are discouraged are less interesting. Predictably, hoosierguy will be the next target of the masses, and if/once he gets kicked out, they'll find someone else to gang up on.
    Sorry, but in my opinion this is disingenuous and a bit biased.

    If what you said was correct, over the years I have been here (and I think I started reading for a year in 04 or 05 before I joined) TPTB would have banned hundreds, if not more, of the posters who were not "sunshiners". I will agree that people have been given a hard time for not pooping butterflies and roses. But you know what, and I can say this genuinely, I think more times than not it was all in good fun. Even when it was not, I think both sides understood they were rooting for the team, just with two different perspectives.

    If what you said (and what you predict to happen) was accurate, then we would have a lot more banning's than we have had. With the exception of spammers, I remember Sassan, Earl (Lets please move on), and Jermaniac being perma banned. Recently OlBlu was perma banned, and even though he was a Redskins fan (was he, or just pretneinding to be, I honestly dont know), but he kind of brought that upon himself. So in a 7-10 year time frame 4 posters have been prema-banned, asked to never return. IMO if what you saying is accurate surely that number would be doubled...if not tripled....especially after some of the years we have had in the past (thank you Jim O Brien).

    I will agree with one thing, though. And I am guilty of it myself. It almost seems rude to use the ignore feature (we are...or at least I have been...groomed from a young age not to ignore people) but in some cases I think it really is the best thing to do to keep the peace.



  17. #135
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,045

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is disingenuous. (In my opinion) you were one of the main people who provoked vnzla and advocated for his banning. It's not a surprise that you two didn't get along--vnzla was almost as irrationally negative as you are irrationally positive, but the spare me the crocodile tears.

    I've been around for a while, reading well before I signed up, and (in my opinion) Hicks has gotten a lot more rational and tolerant as a mod over the years, but I think it was a bad move to ban vnzla and I hope it can be reversed. He was a good counter-balance to the sunshine pumpers, had an OK sense of humor, and brought a lot to the board. If people who "couldn't stand him" used the ignore list as much as they talked about it, I don't think we would have had any problems.

    Message boards where disagreements with the dominant view are discouraged are less interesting. Predictably, hoosierguy will be the next target of the masses, and if/once he gets kicked out, they'll find someone else to gang up on.
    It is absolutely true that I replied to Vnzla more than anyone else and thus contributed to the pattern that count55 mentioned. I said it in my reply to him as well. I was the poster that took his initial bait too often. Most of the time I was the second step in the pattern that count55 mentioned.

    However, I never advocated Vnzla's ban. I disagreed with the 30 day suspension and I disagree with this ban as well. I have made this position of mine known in both threads that revolved around this issue (the 30 day suspension was discussed in one of Peck's Odd Thoughts) and I have also discussed this with Sollozzo and other posters through PMs. I believe in free speech and as a mod I have never banned anyone either (and I sincerely hope that I will never be forced to do it).

    You can blame me because I didn't ignore Vnzla and replied to his posts a lot. That is something that you can freely do. But saying that I advocated for his ban is untrue and unjust. I never advocated for this ban and I will never agree with it either. I just recognize that Hicks wasn't the one to blame for it.

    I believe that disagreement is a vital part of a forum. Disagreements can enhance a discussion and only through disagreement can new views be born. It's exactly like p4e said. Disagreement is vital in life because it is creative.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  19. #136
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,587

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    The key point is "bait". It doesn't need to happen. He did it too much.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  20. #137
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,045

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will agree that people have been given a hard time for not pooping butterflies and roses.
    People have been given a hard time for not bashing the team as well. People have been given a hard time for sticking up for certain players of this team. They just don't play the victim about it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  21. #138
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    What we are HOPING to get people to figure out is that you can say practically whatever you like about the team as long as you are RESPECTFUL about it. The examples given in the new version of the guidelines are supposed to make things clearer. Calling a poster an idiot or stupid (as opposed to an article writer or blogger - that's fair game to a certain extent ), insinuating people don't have a clue because they don't watch the games (or, while not an explicit example, things like insisting people only formulate opinions because they hate a player or poster) - these make it obvious the response is no longer about the disagreement, it is a personal attack.

    The gray area is always when people are mocking an idea. Some folks hold their opinions very tightly and an attack on the idea is seen as an attack on them. That isn't necessarily the right thing to do, but the safe thing is to always use a respectful tone when disagreeing with someone you aren't sure how they will take it.

    I'll be the first to admit that I can get to a point where I try to cut through the ooze of rhetoric with the shining sharp sword of sarcasm - sometimes it is appreciated, sometimes it is not, and I fully get that. If someone asks me to tone it down, though, I'll try to do so - and, as able has said, the other admins have had to yank on my reins from time to time. Obviously, I won't respond by telling them they should get over it and put up with me or else they clearly just have a vendetta against me or anyone who shares my opinions - which, frankly, is the "want to make an admin mad? Accuse them of this..." button around here.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  22. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Whew,
    I just read through this whole mess. Back and forth. I almost stopped reading after the Counts excellent offering, feeling it almost wrapped up neat as a bow. but stop reading I did not and for better or worse here's a few take away's.

    1. I will miss V. Though he was an ***. I miss that other noisey little guy who hated DC also...(Windy). But I am philosophical. I just sort of render what you say to some idea... then reply to that.

    If your delivery is humorous or pugnacious or insulting then I think that says more about you than me. I am not threatened. Not by your ideas, your demeanor... whatever.

    We're just talkin' here, right?

    If you are perpetually inane and there is nothing left after the rendering, then I may decide to ignore you. At least I have that option.

    V has fared better than some gadflies.

    2. At least one guy here (whom I previously held in some esteem) now appears to be a posturing lackey who would cut off his own nuts to be a mod. I find that curious, and Po' ol' Hicks would be willing about now to give him his slot! (Please do not!) BTW I do no disservice to the lackey. Doubtless his efforts are transparent to everyone but himself. A little less boot licking would show more backbone making your services more indispensable. Incidentally, I believe the individual I have in mind would make a commendable choice, otherwise.

    3. Speaking of Hick's.
    Thanks dude. You have always seemed to be pretty (excuse me) "solid" and your contribution here and tolerance of some open nerves have renewed my respect for PD as an environment where people could attain some depth of conversation.

    4.While I have a bit of an authority problem myself (and have great empathy for most of the comments of Sollo) I feel pretty convinced that the punitive action was taken after a good deal of deliberation and with the earnest hope of improving the board.

    5. Sometimes around the poker table, or in the fishing boat etc guys can really talk some ****!
    If you've not had two or three good friends tear you up, with feigned slander and insult, while they all laugh their azzes off - I'd be surprised. The problem with V is that he may play the same crude stuff on your prudish aunt (with all the more relish!)
    V is a guy that you just can't take out in public.
    But we are in public.
    He trifled with us.
    Or did if you let him.


    6. Sarcasm is a delicate art. Most who practice it have not wit enough, by half.

    So here is an idea... Feel free to send me the royalties!

    A new forum is in order!
    The Arena.
    Where the rules are loosened... quite a lot.
    Your thread, or comments, or entire account could be dumped off there if it we're decided that you we're not playing nice.
    Disorderly and venial perhaps but is the place for taking the gloves off and... keeping it there!
    Anyone who misses the vitriol, and thirty pages of who shot John, could just dive in and waste all the time they want.
    And Mods could just click!
    And put them "in their place".
    The uncouth and raucous assemblage of those who struggle to form their thoughts in a less abrasive manner.
    Instituted so that no thought (how-ever crudely formed) may be lost because of an unpleasant depiction,
    and benefiting those of a more delicate epidermis that they need not be bothered by castigation from the peanut gallery.
    Last edited by solid; 01-14-2014 at 10:21 AM.

  23. #140
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    This isn't about sunshiners vs. darksiders....heck Vnzla was ready to pay Paul George max money after like his rookie year. The guy was not always negative.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-14-2014 at 10:44 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  25. #141
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2. At least one guy here (whom I previously held in some esteem) now appears to be a posturing lackey who would cut off his own nuts to be a mod.


    Let's leave everyone's bits and pieces out of this please

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. #142
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2. At least one guy here (whom I previously held in some esteem) now appears to be a posturing lackey who would cut off his own nuts to be a mod. I find that curious, and Po' ol' Hicks would be willing about now to give him his slot! (Please do not!) BTW I do no disservice to the lackey. Doubtless his efforts are transparent to everyone but himself. A little less boot licking would show more backbone making your services more indispensable. Incidentally, I believe the individual I have in mind would make a commendable choice, otherwise.
    So, here's an example. The rest of this post was very good and thought-provoking, but what was the purpose of this section? It adds nothing to the conversation, it expresses an opinion about a poster, and seems to be digging for people to ask, "oh, who do you mean?" just so that the name can be released in PM or under public "pressure".

    There's no need for this, really. If you were upset with something, report it. If you just don't like someone, ignore or deal. But there's no reason to make veiled (or unveiled) references that are purely personal attacks. That's the kind of thing that slowly poisons the atmosphere because it leads people to read attack motives into future posts or responses.

    Does that make sense?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  28. #143
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,321

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    , it expresses an opinion about a poster, and seems to be digging for people to ask, "oh, who do you mean?" just so that the name can be released in PM or under public "pressure".
    I hate to say it but that's exactly what came to my mind. Holy $h!+ I'm becoming my wife.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  30. #144
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,131

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    A new forum is in order!
    The Arena.
    Where the rules are loosened... quite a lot.
    Your thread, or comments, or entire account could be dumped off there if it we're decided that you we're not playing nice.
    Disorderly and venial perhaps but is the place for taking the gloves off and... keeping it there!
    Anyone who misses the vitriol, and thirty pages of who shot John, could just dive in and waste all the time they want.
    And Mods could just click!
    And put them "in their place".
    The uncouth and raucous assemblage of those who struggle to form their thoughts in a less abrasive manner.
    Instituted so that no thought (how-ever crudely formed) may be lost because of an unpleasant depiction,
    and benefiting those of a more delicate epidermis that they need not be bothered by castigation from the peanut gallery.
    Why is there a need to create a new forum? The rule "don't be a dick" isn't difficult to follow.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  31. #145
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that disagreement is a vital part of a forum. Disagreements can enhance a discussion and only through disagreement can new views be born. It's exactly like p4e said. Disagreement is vital in life because it is creative.
    I flat out disagree with most of what you said! Actually it's only though learning that new views are born, and we can learn in many ways! And the thing about disagreements is they upset people. Why do you think Vnzla81 was banned? Why do you think people left the Digest?

    With the Internet, if a forum isn't modded very well you get forums like found on ESPN, where disagreements are the norm and the only thing enhanced by the discussions are the ways mean spirited people call each other names.

    Discord is not good for people and that is what you are advocating. Sometimes disagreements upset people so much they kill themselves. Actually getting along with others is whats vital.
    -----

    We are so fond of one another,
    Because our ailments are the same.
    By Jonathon Swift

    I quoted the above because this is how I once felt about the Digest.
    Our ailment of course is the Pacers. I came here to read about the Pacers and be entertained. And then leave in a good mood.

    However, for the last few years more often than not the prevailing spirit of the Digest has been discord and disagreement and I've been trying to leave, but habit and the other forums kept me coming back.

    I came here the other day and realized the forum had a different feel than usual, it was more peaceful and I wondered why. I had been missing Pecks posts and so my first thought was it had something to do with him, but there weren't any new posts from Peck so I disregarded that thought.

    Then I remembered it had felt peaceful when Vnzla81 had been gone for a month, but I knew he was back so I thought he had actually listened to the mods. So I went looking to see if Vnzla was still posting and found this thread. True story, I can actually feel the difference in the forum.

    Some will think I'm silly or weird, but everyone has experienced discord when other family members are having a disagreement. There's a certain feeling of discomfort that you don't like, you want them to get along. When Vnzla is posting he brings a similar vibe to the forum, at least for me he does.

    I like a lively discussion, but the internet seems to bring out the worst in people. That's why I think the best forums are the stricter ones that won't let disagreements get out of hand.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-14-2014 at 01:44 PM.

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  33. #146
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is there a need to create a new forum? The rule "don't be a dick" isn't difficult to follow.
    Yet you fall flat on your face on this front often. But that can't be, because you are a good poster. I have already admitted to failing at it quite a bit.

    Being a dick is a relative term. A lot is lost in translation in typed out sentences and thoughts when you can't properly convey hand gestures, facial expression, tone, and the general personality of the people you are communicating with. It's difficult to do. I say a sentence in here, and someone thinks I'm a dick or insensitive or whatever else. I say the same thing in person with the necessary tone, body language, and facial expressions, and it's a different story. So, yeah, it's kind of hard sometimes not to be a dick. Although it is a noble goal to strive to, and we should all ask ourselves before posting something, "Am I going to sound like a huge dick for saying this?"

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  35. #147
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,131

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, yeah, it's kind of hard sometimes not to be a dick.
    Sometimes, I agree. But it's not that hard to not be a dick daily. I guess I should have said, that I see no reason to create a new forum because one poster has problems staying within the rules.

    I said it to Sollozzo, and I was half joking/half serious. V isn't dead. If people think that he's such a great contributor and will miss his insights so much, PM BnG and ask for the list of sites that Vnzla wants followers at. The simple fact that only one poster is the constant problem, should be a good indicator that following the rules isn't very hard.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-14-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  37. #148
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,364

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PM BnG and ask for the list of sites that Vnzla wants followers at. .
    Or just follow him on Twitter like I did.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  39. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, here's an example. The rest of this post was very good and thought-provoking, but what was the purpose of this section? It adds nothing to the conversation, it expresses an opinion about a poster, and seems to be digging for people to ask, "oh, who do you mean?" just so that the name can be released in PM or under public "pressure".

    There's no need for this, really. If you were upset with something, report it. If you just don't like someone, ignore or deal. But there's no reason to make veiled (or unveiled) references that are purely personal attacks. That's the kind of thing that slowly poisons the atmosphere because it leads people to read attack motives into future posts or responses.

    Does that make sense?
    It does indeed. I apologize for that addition and If I had not fallen asleep right after would have edited that out.

    The point about the other forum is that sometimes slumming can be a hoot.
    If I had woken up with some of those lines having been removed, or found my posts in "the dump" or arena I would understand. most passionate people can on occasion say more than they should.

    And as you rightly point out it is the fall out from such unnecessary stuff like that that so derails a conversation.

    But like an ol' dive bar that's sort of scary it can be fun to hang out some time in a place where you CAN say fart, or make mention of something that annoys you. And we'd be able to "keep" V, and ol' blu, and Windy who brought spice (and sometime insight) to the conversation. And we'd always know where to find them!

    And I appreciate sarcasm and all the related acerbic forms of wit.
    Voltaire was considered a genius of his age precisely because his verbal jousts we're so cutting.

    Ok we're no Voltaire. Certainly I am not.

    I enjoyed this entire thread. I almost didn't start to read it, I generally stay away from gossipy mires but it's been cool.
    Hopefully we all come away with a better understanding about the strain and efforts that go on in the back ground to make this place as enjoyable as it is. And God willing find a spoonful toleration, on both sides of the fence.
    Last edited by solid; 01-14-2014 at 03:34 PM.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:


  41. #150
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vnzla81

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes, I agree. But it's not that hard to not be a dick daily. I guess I should have said, that I see no reason to create a new forum because one poster has problems staying within the rules.

    I said it to Sollozzo, and I was half joking/half serious. V isn't dead. If people think that he's such a great contributor and will miss his insights so much, PM BnG and ask for the list of sites that Vnzla wants followers at. The simple fact that only one poster is the constant problem, should be a good indicator that following the rules isn't very hard.
    Yes I agree that there is no need for another forum and never took that post seriously. I just wanted to state my opinion on the seemingly simple, "don't be a dick" rule. Which in general, I agree with too. Just pointing out that it isn't a perfect science.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •