Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Vnzla81

Default Re: Vnzla81

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes, I agree. But it's not that hard to not be a dick daily. I guess I should have said, that I see no reason to create a new forum because one poster has problems staying within the rules.

I said it to Sollozzo, and I was half joking/half serious. V isn't dead. If people think that he's such a great contributor and will miss his insights so much, PM BnG and ask for the list of sites that Vnzla wants followers at. The simple fact that only one poster is the constant problem, should be a good indicator that following the rules isn't very hard.
    FYI.... Vnzla sent some of us his Twitter handle so we could stay in touch. Not a 'list of sites'. I assume that is all BnG is referring to as well. Nothing wrong with that at all and I appreciated having a way to stay in touch. And like I said earlier in this thread, Vnzla is VERY good (and fast) at finding nuggets of info via Twitter and other media outlets that relate to the Pacers and I like seeing those things.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    FYI.... Vnzla sent some of us his Twitter handle so we could stay in touch. Not a 'list of sites'. I assume that is all BnG is referring to as well. Nothing wrong with that at all and I appreciated having a way to stay in touch. And like I said earlier in this thread, Vnzla is VERY good (and fast) at finding nuggets of info via Twitter and other media outlets that relate to the Pacers and I like seeing those things.
    Yep, I already miss the little nuggets of information he brought.

BasketballFan is the only other person whose tenacity for posting information can match Vnzla's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I flat out disagree with most of what you said! Actually it's only though learning that new views are born, and we can learn in many ways! And the thing about disagreements is they upset people. Why do you think Vnzla81 was banned? Why do you think people left the Digest?

With the Internet, if a forum isn't modded very well you get forums like found on ESPN, where disagreements are the norm and the only thing enhanced by the discussions are the ways mean spirited people call each other names.

Discord is not good for people and that is what you are advocating. Sometimes disagreements upset people so much they kill themselves. Actually getting along with others is whats vital.
    -----

We are so fond of one another,
    Because our ailments are the same.
    By Jonathon Swift

I quoted the above because this is how I once felt about the Digest.
    Our ailment of course is the Pacers. I came here to read about the Pacers and be entertained. And then leave in a good mood.

However, for the last few years more often than not the prevailing spirit of the Digest has been discord and disagreement and I've been trying to leave, but habit and the other forums kept me coming back.

I came here the other day and realized the forum had a different feel than usual, it was more peaceful and I wondered why. I had been missing Pecks posts and so my first thought was it had something to do with him, but there weren't any new posts from Peck so I disregarded that thought.

Then I remembered it had felt peaceful when Vnzla81 had been gone for a month, but I knew he was back so I thought he had actually listened to the mods. So I went looking to see if Vnzla was still posting and found this thread. True story, I can actually feel the difference in the forum.

Some will think I'm silly or weird, but everyone has experienced discord when other family members are having a disagreement. There's a certain feeling of discomfort that you don't like, you want them to get along. When Vnzla is posting he brings a similar vibe to the forum, at least for me he does.

I like a lively discussion, but the internet seems to bring out the worst in people. That's why I think the best forums are the stricter ones that won't let disagreements get out of hand.
    And you have every right to disagree with me. That's the whole point of it. You can disagree and still be respectful of the person that you disagree with!

Personally, I believe in destructive creation. Everything is born out of strife. Two great philosophers, Hegel and Heraclitus, can explain this better than I can:

“Truth is found neither in the thesis nor the antithesis, but in an emergent synthesis which reconciles the two.”
    ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ― Heraclitus

"We must know that war is common to all and strife is justice, and that all things come into being through strife."
    ― Heraclitus

That's why I believe that disagreements are necessary. It helps everyone and it gives us the opportunity to better ourselves. Nothing good can be create by constant submission. Have you read The Stepford Wives? The society described there is extremely peaceful but that's not a society in which a human can survive.

People don't have to get upsed if someone disagree with them. I believe very strongly in my opinions and I will always defend them but I don't get upset when someone disagrees with them. At least, I try to not get upset (I'm not perfect, obviously). And you can easily disagree with someone without upsetting him by doing one simple thing: making clear that you respect him even though you disagree.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Our ailment of course is the Pacers. I came here to read about the Pacers and be entertained. And then leave in a good mood.

However, for the last few years more often than not the prevailing spirit of the Digest has been discord and disagreement and I've been trying to leave, but habit and the other forums kept me coming back.

I came here the other day and realized the forum had a different feel than usual, it was more peaceful and I wondered why. I had been missing Pecks posts and so my first thought was it had something to do with him, but there weren't any new posts from Peck so I disregarded that thought.

Then I remembered it had felt peaceful when Vnzla81 had been gone for a month, but I knew he was back so I thought he had actually listened to the mods. So I went looking to see if Vnzla was still posting and found this thread. True story, I can actually feel the difference in the forum.

Some will think I'm silly or weird, but everyone has experienced discord when other family members are having a disagreement. There's a certain feeling of discomfort that you don't like, you want them to get along. When Vnzla is posting he brings a similar vibe to the forum, at least for me he does.

I like a lively discussion, but the internet seems to bring out the worst in people. That's why I think the best forums are the stricter ones that won't let disagreements get out of hand.
    I think you bring up some important points here. I like debating topics and it is not interesting to me when people agree all the time. While I agreed with V a lot and thought he brought a lot of good points to the table along with some humor, he ALSO had a detrimental affect on the general environment of the site. He spent too much time goading other posters and his methods affected how other people were posting. I will not mention names, but this has already been touched on by one of the admins here. People were getting chippy and that was because of the environment.

So, really, while I found some pleasure reading V's posts, I applaud the action taken by Hicks. What he brought actually was a lot. Some here will not admit that. But what he took away was simply more than that.
    LeWade are going down.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts forum discussions improved 10-fold upon Blu's removal. He was an absolute menace to any Colt discussions.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The Colts forum discussions improved 10-fold upon Blu's removal. He was an absolute menace to any Colt discussions.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    I don't visit the Colts forum at all (I don't follow the NFL) and I have to say that I barely noticed him in the Pacers forum.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Ol Blu just wanted his attention. The more posters learned to just leave him be the more he piled on in his posts making it obvious he was trolling. He'd have more and more thinly veiled hot button topics he'd post about or call attention to himself claiming to be a veteran who lost a couple of fingers and other questionable statements...

Ol Blu was always putting up a moving target of negativity on everything Colts.

That's one reason I say the comparison to Vnzla is not valid. Vnzla has pro and con points about Pacers and is a fan.
    Last edited by Bball; 01-15-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that blue was way worse... but I think same theory will apply. Vnzla's involvement in a discussion often turned it south.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Ol Blu just wanted his attention.

That's one reason I say the comparison to Vnzla is not valid. Vnzla has pro and con points about Pacers and is a fan.
    Uhh.... Vnzla just wanted attention as well. Which is why he'd post something trying to bait someone in one thread, not get a hit, and then go to another thread and post pretty much the exact same thing. He fished for fights, and then played the victim when he got into them. Did it ever strike you as odd that whenever talking about injuries, he always had a story about a similiar injury he had? It always got a good chuckle from me.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'm not a fan of vnzla, but the dude belongs nowhere near the same discussion as OlBlu. That's simply not fair.

Anyway, it feels kinda weird that there's a multi-page thread talking about a person that can't respond and present his perspective. Kinda high school-ish I suppose, but maybe that's just me.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or maybe it's just people reflecting, perhaps learning, but ultimately just having a discussion.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm not a fan of vnzla, but the dude belongs nowhere near the same discussion as OlBlu. That's simply not fair.

Anyway, it feels kinda weird that there's a multi-page thread talking about a person that can't respond and present his perspective. Kinda high school-ish I suppose, but maybe that's just me.
    Yeah, it's getting a little bit too much about people talking about vnzla himself rather than his behavior. We can learn from some speculation about the behavior, but I agree that getting into the personalities needs to stop.

This thread may be reaching its conclusion anyway. For the sake of removing temptation, if no one is posting no really new insights, it probably could be closed. We'll watch it to see.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I can already notice a drop in quality tweets and news items coming in. Vnzla was the heart and soul of the board in this area. I don't think anyone here can duplicate what he did.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm not taking any side, but I have two things to say.

1) Comparing any current users to OlBlu is harsh. OlBlu was a crazy old hobo who was like King Midas, if King Midas turned everything he touched into ****.

2) I didn't have any opinions on V, sometimes he was annoying and a lot of times I agreed with him, but the one thing I won't miss is going into a thread and having to wade through 2 pages of unrelated bickering to find comments that actually talk about the intent of the thread. That wasn't just V's fault, but he instigated a lot of it. He brought a lot to the site in terms of news like people said, but his baiting killed a lot of discussion.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Instead of a ban, here is a suggestion for an appropriate punishment, for posters who are prone to "over-argue" let's call it:

Limit them to X number of posts per day. Like 3? Depending on how bad they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Or maybe it's just people reflecting, perhaps learning, but ultimately just having a discussion.
    No kidding. When you compare people, you're not saying they're exactly alike.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I can already notice a drop in quality tweets and news items coming in. Vnzla was the heart and soul of the board in this area. I don't think anyone here can duplicate what he did.
    Do you have twitter? All he did was retweet national writers. Follow them, and you'll get the same exact information. Just because he was the first to post them, doesn't mean he's the only one that knew what was going on. The collective board will fill in the gaps.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Do you have twitter? All he did was retweet national writers. Follow them, and you'll get the same exact information. Just because he was the first to post them, doesn't mean he's the only one that knew what was going on. The collective board will fill in the gaps.

I don't have twitter. I was spoiled by vnzla's quickness and tenacity for posting information.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Instead of a ban, here is a suggestion for an appropriate punishment, for posters who are prone to "over-argue" let's call it:

Limit them to X number of posts per day. Like 3? Depending on how bad they are.
    If you are aware of any code for vBulletin that would allow that, please let us know and it could be considered. Clearly manual monitoring of such just isn't possible for volunteer mods.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I will miss him. He did generate discussions. But I can't imagine the stress it put on the admins. I cringed every time I agreed with him. And looking back with the past interchanges with him, I used some of his tactics. Just for fun and mockingly. But I should not have done it. I have had one infraction in my time on this site. But I did not nearly have the voice that he did.

RIP Vnzla81......

Now lets talk Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Tossing that into the Suggestion Box sticky.
    BillS

This place is a lot more enjoyable these days. I ventured over to this forum because I had a hunch as to why, and this thread confirmed it.

The admins here put up with the trolling way longer than I would have. I commend their patience.

RI(Pacers Digest)P.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

V never learned and refused to change. No one ever asked of him to change his opinions. But change his approach. It drove me away from posting here for awhile. Especially the NBA section. Thankfully this season is just going so damn well it was easy to ignore what he was trying to do most of the time. I think count's post about how the topics would die hit the nail on the head. Only a bit ago I remember arguing with V in probably the top 5 threads all about the same damn thing. What was the point even? Nothing said was even infraction worthy, it was all basketball talk. But it got old. I know it happened a lot too, its why my posting slowed down and why I avoided the NBA section for awhile. Especially in the offseason... It wasn't a very pleasant environment and it had nothing to do with his opinion. I turned to Twitter for my Pacers fix mostly. And its sad because most of the Pacers fans I interact with on Twitter are posters on here and posters I've known for years on here. Yet there we are, talking basketball 140 characters at a time, rather than on here. But it had become far more enjoyable to do so. Is V the only reason? No, but he was a big one and mainly because of what Count55 posted.

I'm honestly surprised he lasted this long. He could have been banned 2 years ago easily. The admins gave him so many chances. They asked him to adjust, he didn't. End of story.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm amazed at your unreasonableness in accusing me for having unreasonableness because I accused the admins of unreasonableness.
    I definitely don't agree with you on this specific topic (which is fine), but this post above had me .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

So quite alot of you are saying the V's presence on this board drove you away from posting for a period of time? REALLY NOW?? COME ON!....Nobody took your ball and threw it over the fence and gave you raspberries. Grow some thicker cyber skin.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post: