Thread: So damn lucky!!!

Default So damn lucky!!!

Took a peek at some of the Chief fans reactions after the game and you gotta feel for them. When you get way too invested in your teams it can really hurt and folks on PD know this very well. The thing is if you're an Indy Colts fan it is so nice no matter what your mind can go back to that Super Bowl win. Same thing for Pat's, Steelers, and Ravens fans.

No real purpose to this thread, just struck a nerve on how hard it is to find a good balance between life and how much emotion we put into following the Colts and Pacers. KC Chief fans we know their pain, but they have to go wayyyy back for any relief.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So damn lucky!!!

I really do feel for KC fans right now. I'd be mortified if that happened to the Colts.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, we are lucky because we saw the Colts win a Super Bowl 7 years ago, which isn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things. There are so many NFL fans out there who would kill to have seen their team win a Super Bowl that recently. The Colts have definitely spoiled their fan base for a long time, even though there will always be that feeling that we should have accomplished just a bit more in the Manning era.

We are lucky as hell, especially with how we went from Manning to Luck. Other teams around the NFL have to despise us for Manning's injury turning into Andrew Luck. We're without question one of the luckiest franchises in recent NFL history. A team like the Jags has to be so pissed that they've been so awful for so long and have never been rewarded with an Andrew Luck, while the Colts OTOH were bad for one year and got Luck. Absolutely brilliant strategic planning by Irsay to throw that season and stick with Painter/Caldwell. People think that this guy is just some incompetent fool who rambles on twitter, but he's a genius when it comes to running a quality organization that people want to play for. He has also shown the stones to make tough decisions.

Has there ever been a good player who wasn't sad to leave the Colts? No one ever wants to leave because this is such a quality organization to play for.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yep we have Luck on our side! We will need more than luck to beat the Pats though. I really do believe if any team can do it, the Colts can. I was really down after we barley beat the Titians at home and lost to the Bengals but the last month has brought me out of it. I really don't know what to expect Sunday. I think the Patriots are a team that can beat anybody but I also think they could be the most vulnerable of the so called "elite" teams left. Brady and Beli are proven winners and to be the best you have to beat the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep we have Luck on our side! We will need more than luck to beat the Pats though. I really do believe if any team can do it, the Colts can. I was really down after we barley beat the Titians at home and lost to the Bengals but the last month has brought me out of it. I really don't know what to expect Sunday. I think the Patriots are a team that can beat anybody but I also think they could be the most vulnerable of the so called "elite" teams left. Brady and Beli are proven winners and to be the best you have to beat the best.
    Sometimes hitting complete rock bottom isn't a bad thing because it forces you to make good changes that you might not otherwise have done. The 2006 Colts who won the Super Bowl lost to ALL THREE division teams on the road in the month of December and looked like complete crap while doing it (especially in Jax). But that forced Dungy to take some control of the defense and make changes that might not otherwise have been done. Those changes helped propel us to a championship.

Regardless of what happens in Foxboro, I think that you can say the same thing about these 2013 Colts. Hitting rock bottom caused us to make some necessary changes within the offense. We finished the season on a three game winning streak and won a playoff game. The season is a big success no matter what.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-07-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Sometimes hitting complete rock bottom isn't a bad thing because it forces you to make good changes that you might not otherwise have done. The 2006 Colts who won the Super Bowl lost to ALL THREE division teams on the road in the month of December and looked like complete crap while doing it (especially in Jax). But that forced Dungy to take some control of the defense and make changes that might not otherwise have been done. Those changes helped propel us to a championship.

Regardless of what happens in Foxboro, I think that you can say the same thing about these 2013 Colts. Hitting rock bottom caused us to make some necessary changes within the offense. We finished the season on a three game losing streak and won a playoff game. The season is a big success no matter what.
    What's worse is the humiliation for the KC players. They are certainly not deserving of that. They had a great season.

Regardless of what happens in Foxboro, I think that you can say the same thing about these 2013 Colts. Hitting rock bottom caused us to make some necessary changes within the offense. We finished the season on a three game losing streak and won a playoff game. The season is a big success no matter what.

We won those games are last loss was to the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    We won those games are last loss was to the Bengals.
    Yeah that's what I meant to say. Freudian slip lol.

In my mind organizations with leadership that have a long-term vision (and the balls to stick with it) are the ones that maintain serious relevance over extended periods of time. The NFL has been designed for parity for 3 decades now and without a really strong conviction to the longview teams are going to ride that parity roller coaster. The Colts have that committed longview now but people forget that it took Irsay over a decade in Indianapolis to figure it out.

I feel for the fans of teams like the Chiefs too but the leadership & ownership inside most NFL organizations can't make the commitments & decisions necessary for long-term success. Some teams/organizations don't figure it out or don't have the situation or fan base that allows them to make the tough decisions.

I think you can even apply this logic to mediocre organizations who are fortunate enough to have great QB's. A great QB can definately limit the bottoms of the parity cycle but they usually can't avoid the seasons of mediocrity. Look at how many 9 win or less seasons Marino had to endure for a Dolphin organization that was much better suited to competing in the pre-parity era of NFL football.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 01-07-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Took a peek at some of the Chief fans reactions after the game and you gotta feel for them. When you get way too invested in your teams it can really hurt and folks on PD know this very well. The thing is if you're an Indy Colts fan it is so nice no matter what your mind can go back to that Super Bowl win. Same thing for Pat's, Steelers, and Ravens fans.

No real purpose to this thread, just struck a nerve on how hard it is to find a good balance between life and how much emotion we put into following the Colts and Pacers. KC Chief fans we know their pain, but they have to go wayyyy back for any relief.
    Feel it all the time. After a disappointing loss and not even necessarily after that, I always go back to that SB run and victory and keep getting reminded other teams haven't even tasted it at all or they have but was many years before ours etc...

I would also put America's Game on to see my favourite parts of that documentary from that season. Have lost count how many times I have watched it.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Feel it all the time. After a disappointing loss and not even necessarily after that, I always go back to that SB run and victory and keep getting reminded other teams haven't even tasted it at all or they have but was many years before ours etc...

I would also put America's Game on to see my favourite parts of that documentary from that season. Have lost count how many times I have watched it.
    I watch that all the time too. My heart still skips a beat when I watch Reggie loose the ball up on the air in the AFC Championship game game and then get it back. I hope we get another Colts vs Pats classic this weekend!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I watch that all the time too. My heart still skips a beat when I watch Reggie loose the ball up on the air in the AFC Championship game game and then get it back. I hope we get another Colts vs Pats classic this weekend!!
    That part is a bit overstated cause few have mentioned that even if Reggie had fumbled the ball there,it would have come back for the Colt
    s since there was a flag on the play and it was against the Pats.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I watch that all the time too.
    Favourite part?

Mine is, apart from the AFC Championship Game, the montage alongside the music with it, during the the winning streak of the first 9 games where we went 9-0. It climaxes with that unbelievable and magnificent catch from Marvin at NE which in turns being accompanied with great climaxing music as well.

NFLFilms is so good at it.

Yeah, I could watch that stuff all day.

Another game that never gets old watching highlights of is the incredible win against the Packers last year. It was the first game after Pagano was diagnosed, an epic comeback, and Luck's first really big game. That was the game that made everyone say, "holy crap, Luck is obscenely good".

2012 will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Colts seasons. It was just incredible what we were able to do with a sick coach, brand new roster, and rookie quarterback.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haha the Packers game I have watched it a good 3 times already from last season.

There will certainly be another one in the upcoming off season just to fill the void you know.

Haha the Packers game I have watched it a good 3 times already from last season.

There will certainly be another one in the upcoming off season just to fill the void you know.

The Chiefs game will obviously live forever. The Broncos, Seahawks, and Niners game are all worth watching again too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Chiefs game will obviously live forever. The Broncos, Seahawks, and Niners game are all worth watching again too.
    For jinxing reasons and only, the Chiefs game will be viewed only after the end of Colts' playoff run.

Certainly a classic of course.