Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulls trade Deng to Cavs

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bulls trade Deng to Cavs

I think it's a pretty decent trade, asset-wise, from the Cavs' perspective... sure, four(!) picks is a lot to give up, but Deng is probably a top 5-7 SF, plays well on both ends, and will be a quality player for the next few years. I've seen worse trades.

This must signify that they're throwing in the towel on the whole "Bring LeBron back to Cleveland" thing. Not that it was ever anything more than a huge longshot anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would be a good trade for Cavs but Luol Deng is an unrestricted free agent this summer. He turned down 3 years 30 mil offer from Bulls recently. It is more likely Deng ends up a Laker next season

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Is there any protection for that Kings pick?? That could quite possibly be a top five pick this year without it, and that would be a HUGE piece to give up...

Please dont let Miami get Bynum or we are going to be doomed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be a good trade for Cavs but Luol Deng is an unrestricted free agent this summer. He turned down 3 years 30 mil offer from Bulls recently. It is more likely Deng ends up a Laker next season
    I strongly doubt that. Cavs are obviously in the market for a player like Deng and can offer him more money. Not that they should​ but they certainly can.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    we would be doomed right now if the addition of Bynum for Miami would lose it for us...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    Bynum won't do **** for Miami against Hibbert...

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Is there any protection for that Kings pick?? That could quite possibly be a top five pick this year without it, and that would be a HUGE piece to give up...
    The Bulls will get the Kings' pick if it falls outside the top 12 in 2014 or outside the top 10 picks in 2015, 2016 or 2017.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ulls-luol-deng

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

At this point, I don't see how the Bulls can't waive Boozer.......if you wipe him off the 2014-2015 Books....the Bulls will have $48 mil in committed Salary. With the 2014-2015 Salary cap at $62.1 mil...the Bulls will have $13.9 mil to spend on Free Agents before hitting the Salary Cap. That can easily go to Melo next season. He may need to take a minor pay cut...but more than enough to sign him. A lineup of DRose/JimmyB/Melo/Taj/Noah/Snell/Teague/Dunleavy and whoever they draft in the Lottery is a good place to re-tool...not rebuild.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I know he just signed an extension at the end of last year but wonder if Thibs just says **** it, I'm out?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    At this point, I don't see how the Bulls can't waive Boozer.......if you wipe him off the 2014-2015 Books....the Bulls will have $48 mil in committed Salary. With the 2014-2015 Salary cap at $62.1 mil...the Bulls will have $13.9 mil to spend on Free Agents before hitting the Salary Cap. That can easily go to Melo next season. He may need to take a minor pay cut...but more than enough to sign him. A lineup of DRose/JimmyB/Melo/Taj/Noah/Snell/Teague/Dunleavy and whoever they draft in the Lottery is a good place to re-tool...not rebuild.

I'd be very surprised if Melo signed with the Bulls without them having to shed more payroll... probably Gibson, if they want to give him anything close to the max. Probably not worth it.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    The Cavs will have about $43+ mil if they pick up Varajeo's 2014-2015 Salary but don't pick up the majority of their remaining Salary in 2014-2015 ( Earl Clark and Alonzo Gee ). They can easily afford to offer a comprable offer to whatever Deng gets in the Free Agent Market ( even if the Lakers come calling ).

Unless the Lakers offer an overpaid contract offer....I don't see playing with older version of Kobe any more appealing then having a better chance to play with Kyrie in a weak Eastern Conference.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Melo signed with the Bulls without them having to shed more payroll... probably Gibson, if they want to give him anything close to the max. Probably not worth it.
    What would a MAX Level contract for Melo start at?

Bring it Miami Mercenaries

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Looks like all the picks are lottery or near lottery protected so it's not as bad as I initially thought. Reading through the ESPN story what amazed me was the Kings gave the Cavs a first round pick in 2011 for JJ Hickson! I seriously hate half the teams in this league sometimes.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

The Knicks and Clippers are definitely more desperate for Bynum than the Heat, hopefully there's some way they can outbid them.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This is big for us. With Deng in Cleveland, our CJ Miles problems are pretty much kaput.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Wow, that is a lot of picks, Bulls bamboozled the Cavs.

Deng, we could've used him.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    So the next question is, do we care if Miami picks up Bynum? He still has some skill in limited minutes, but then again Miami might be violating the "seven knucklehead" rule.

Who knows, between Oden and Bynum they might end up with half a Hibbert for some stretches. More likely though I think it gives them more of a distraction than anything else.
    faxed.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

What's Melo making right now? $21 mil? I'm not sure that's a minor pay cut. He could easily demand that on the open market, if not more. I think the Lakers are a more likely destination for Melo. He'll certainly receive a warmer reception from his buddy Kobe than from Rose.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Deng, we could've used him.
    not for tha many draft picks

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What would a MAX Level contract for Melo start at?

North of $20M, that's for sure. I honestly don't know the exact number.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Bring it Miami Mercenaries

One thing worth noting on that Bulls press release, is they referred to Deng as a "contract" too. I agree that they're waiving Bynum all the way but I don't think the press release really said much one way or the other on that front.

Edit: Does everyone else have this issue, where when you quote a post with a tweet embedded in it, it goes blank?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Wow, never thought the Bulls would do that to Deng. He's still a pretty good player.

For those who think Cavs gave up a lot for him - it's the heavily protected Sacto pick, a protected pick swap, and 2 Portland 2nd's. The Sacto pick will never be better than #10, and could even become 2nd rounders eventually. Pick swap with Cleveland is in 2015 and lottery protected, in a year when the Bulls are once again trying to reintegrate Rose. I'd be surprised if this ends up improving the Bulls' draft spot more than say 5 spots in 2015. And with the way Portland is playing, those 2nd rounders are probably going to be picked in the 50's.

So it looks a lot like the Cavs got Deng for a future pick in the teens and a moderate pick swap. That's not too bad considering that they probably intend to re-sign him.

For the Bulls, well I understand the thinking that this season is lost and they seem to have accepted that they won't be able to retain Deng next year. So anything is better than nothing, but it's not like they got a king's ransom back. Also worth noting that this deal allowed them to dodge the luxury tax this year, so there's a large financial component as well.
    Last edited by wintermute; 01-07-2014 at 05:21 AM.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: