Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulls trade Deng to Cavs

Default Bulls trade Deng to Cavs

Brian Windhorst
    @WindhorstESPN

The Cavs will send Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Bulls for Luol Deng.

Looks like clearing the path for what now seems, IMO, inevitable. Melo to the Bulls
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bulls trade Deng to Cavs

Wow, does this make the Cavs a playoff team? Can the Heat now pick Bynum up for cheap?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Wow, looks like the Bulls are officially in the tank mode. Can't see them win more without Deng and with Bynum out there, probably off the bench as a backup of Noah.

And for the Cavs, I think they are just being desperate at this point. Lucky they netted a better player out there, so I guess it's good for the short-term. They still need to clear up that PF logjam though to be a better team.

And I guess it's hard to dump Bynum out there without an added value (1st round pick).
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 01-07-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Bulls will probably amnesty Boozer for their next move... Going all in for the tank job...

**EDIT That is quite a coup for Chicago, they get a pick as well, that will be middle first round... Could be reloaded really quick, especially if they land one of the marquee FA this summer...
    Last edited by bballpacen; 01-07-2014 at 02:25 AM.

It will also be interesting how Bynum will do this year under coach Thibs.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will also be interesting how Bynum will do this year under coach Thibs.
    He won't... He will be let go by the 9th...

It looks like multiple picks were added, some with draft protection. Looks like a little too much for a rental of Deng.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/deng-trade-140107
    Cavs Acquire Luol Deng from Bulls

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired All-Star forward Luol Deng from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for center Andrew Bynum, three future draft picks and the right to swap 2015 first round picks with the Cavs (1-14 protected), Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced tonight from Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"We are very excited for Luol to join the Cavaliers organization, " said Grant. "We have worked to acquire and maintain flexibility in order to capitalize on opportunities such as this. Luol reflects all that we are striving for in building our team. He’s a tremendous defensive player that can impact the game on both ends of the court with a team first mentality and is a high character leader.”

In exchange for Deng, the Cavs send Chicago Bynum, Cleveland’s right to the Sacramento King’s first round draft pick conveyed in a June 30, 2011 deal, the right for Chicago to swap its own 2015 first round draft pick with the Cavs own 2015 first round draft pick (only in the case that the Cleveland 2015 first round draft pick is between 15 and 30) and the Portland Trail Blazer’s 2015 and 2016 second round draft picks acquired from the Trail Blazers via 2013 draft night trade.

Deng has been an NBA All-Star in each of the past two seasons (2012 and 2013) and was named to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team in 2012. He also received the NBA Sportsmanship Award in 2007 and All-Rookie First Team honors in 2005.

This season, Deng appeared in 23 games (all starts) for Chicago, averaging a career-best 19.0 points on .452 shooting, 6.9 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.0 steal in 37.4 minutes per game. The 6-9, 220-pound forward has scored at least 20 points 10 times this season, including a stretch of six straight 20-point games from Nov. 24 to Dec. 5.

Deng was originally drafted by Phoenix in the 2004 NBA Draft as the No. 7 overall selection. He has spent his entire nine-year career with the Bulls and owns career averages of 16.1 points on .460 shooting, 6.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.0 steal in 35.9 minutes over 637 games (591 starts). He has also played in 48 playoff games (42 starts) with averages of 16.7 points on .452 shooting, 7.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.1 steals in 40.3 minutes per game.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    ...and then is it possible for another team to sign him cheaply? (Like Miami for instance)
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    ...and then is it possible for another team to sign him cheaply? (Like Miami for instance)
    Yessir...

Quite possible, although it's still unknown if they'll let him go with pursuers like Miami targeting him for a cheap deal.

Bynum will be gone tomorrow night.

I'd be nothing short of stunned if he's on the roster past 5 o'clock tomorrow night.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Really good deal for the Bulls. They are in no position to contend without Rose, and Deng is getting older. A really good pick as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Yessir...
    Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Quite possible, although it's still unknown if they'll let him go with pursuers like Miami targeting him for a cheap deal.
    The Bulls don't care if Miami gets him on a cheap 1 yr deal

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Chicago is going to let Bynum go, that was the whole point. I really hope Miami doesn't pick him up, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it plays out that way.

Greg Oden is pissed right now.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

So the next question is, do we care if Miami picks up Bynum? He still has some skill in limited minutes, but then again Miami might be violating the "one knucklehead" rule.

Who knows, between Oden and Bynum they might end up with half a Hibbert for some stretches. More likely though I think it gives them more of a distraction than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    So the next question is, do we care if Miami picks up Bynum? He still has some skill in limited minutes, but then again Miami might be violating the "one knucklehead" rule.

Who knows, between Oden and Bynum they might end up with half a Hibbert for some stretches. More likely though I think it gives them more of a distraction than anything else.
    Greg Oden doesn't bother me.... Bynum makes me a little nervous.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Normally I hate salary dump moves because I am one of those who do not believe that tanking is the best way to go. However I will say as far as dumps go Chicago did get back quit a bit and will be able to trim a lot of salary now. I'm not sure if this move helps the Cavs or not. They are at the point where they need solid veteran leadership and Deng will be that and he is a very good player.

On the really bright side at least we won't have to put up with loudmouthed stupid obnoxious Chicago fans rooting on their team to a victory. Oh they will still be there but there will be nothing to talk about now.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post

Their superstars are not knuckleheads so they can afford to get some especially if they can easily dump them out.

Bynum is still decent, when motivated. I don't care much if Miami get Bynum if ever he's let go by the Bulls, but it wouldn't certainly hurt that team since they really need some big guys to help their rebounding woes (and Hibbert woes, too).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Oden is a lot scarier right now... Bynum looks totally washed up.

thats a lot of future to go from 8-9th place to 6-8th place
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I think Oden is a lot scarier right now... Bynum looks totally washed up.
    Both Bynum and Oden look scary enough.....neither of them have to play 30 mpg....just 15 mpg at most while throwing 6 fouls a piece against Roy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Chicago will definitely be waving Bynum. Just a great deal for Chicago here because Deng wasn't goin to resign there because of what the team doctors did to him during the playoffs last year. Can't say I blame him I'd be mad about that too.