Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs: Colts vs Patriots thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Playoffs: Colts vs Patriots thread

Both teams are obviously missing their best receiving options. The Colts are missing the HOF security blanket Wayne while the Pats are missing Gronk, who is probably the best receiving option in the game when healthy. Before getting hurt against us last year, Gronk torched us for 7 receptions/137 yards/2 touchdowns.

Obviously Pags wasn't on the sideline last year when we got waxed up there. I think that this will be one of the games where Pagano's strengths shine through. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he had extremely good success as the Ravens' D coordinator in the 09 and 11 playoffs against Brady. Brady played absolutely awful in both of those games. So I feel very comfortable in knowing that our head coach is a guy who has had impressive success in Foxboro against Brady in playoff games. It certainly doesn't guarantee anything, but at the very least it tells you that our head coach generally knows the types of things that the defense needs to do to win. Obviously our defense isn't the Ravens and it's going to be up to our guys to execute on the field, but I'm confident that Pagano will come up with the best possible defensive game plan.

To win this game, two pretty simple things need to happen:

1) You have to get pressure on Brady and hit him early. The two Giants Super Bowls, two Ravens playoff victories in Foxboro, and Jets victory there three years ago tell us that this is the ticket to beating the Pats in the post-season. He's like Manning in that he gets thrown off big time when he starts hitting the ground. We gotta find a way to get some Mathis hits on him. If Brady has time to pick us apart, it's game over.

2) Receivers other than T.Y. have to step up big time. Belichick is the master at taking a team's primary option away and you can be rest assured that the Pats will spend all week focusing on how to take T.Y. out of the game. He's not going to let T.Y. torch the Pats like the Chiefs. The Chiefs treated T.Y. with kid gloves. Fleener, Whalen, Rodgers, and Brazil must all get open and catch difficult balls.

This isn't the most intimidating Pats team ever, but it's still going to be brutally difficult to get a win up there. We're going to have to play as close to perfect as possible and need a good blend of our SF/Seattle/Denver/reg season KC game/2nd half KC playoff game performances to pull this out. If the Rams/Cardinals/Bengals 1st half/Chiefs 1st half Colts come to play, then we'll be dead in the water and it will get ugly fast.

Saturday could depend on our best rookies. If Werner and Rogers step up, it could give the Colts the advantage.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Ours guys holding could help Luck use his legs to get first downs

As much as I wanted the Broncos just because I think there's always the chance Manning will feel the pressure not only of Mathis but the weather, the hype, the situation, etc. and throw some ill-timed passes, let alone try to do something his surgically repaired body isn't capable of thus making the game easier on the field than it would've been on paper.

But.... ....All the old Colts vs Pats rivalry stuff is resurfacing making me want to see how this regime can handle the unfriendly confines of Foxborough.

This ISN'T the Pats of old... but it's still the Pats.

OTOH, this isn't the Colts of old either. But in a funny twist this team not being the Colts of old isn't quite the same problem for the Colts as it might be for the Pats. This isn't a team built for a finesse game with a QB who has that reputation to choke on big moments. The Pats are no longer that machine we all remember. So maybe a weakened Pats and a Colts team that doesn't have to rely on outscoring them solely to beat them can actually make some magic happen. If it doesn't happen it won't be the first time the Pats have found a way to win, let alone a way to pile on the points if the opportunity presents itself.

But these Colts have shown they can take a punch and even hand out their own share of punches (see: At 49ers). The question will be how far they have come since the injury bug struck and how much confidence they bring from last weekend and what they can do with it.

I'm certain Luck and Wayne are having some long conversations about what Luck can expect and what to look for. Let's hope even though Wayne can't take the field he still has some contributions to make towards a winning effort.

These playoffs are fun. Let's hope we can still say that following the game.

Bring on the Pats!
    Last edited by Bball; 01-08-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure the Colts have made it to a point where they don't have to rely on outscoring the opponent. Maybe weather conditions will have an affect, but I think for these Colts to win agains Pats or Broncos, they will have to put up big points. Not confident the D can slow down either of those offenses significantly.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bring on the Pats!
    Even if the Colts get torched big time..... its been good this year.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

Shepherd is an idiot to have slapped him upside the head while he was down...

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah, I saw it live, it wasn't apparent that Landry was hurt at first, and Sheppard was just doin' the usual head-slap celebration thing. You could see him change his stance after Landy remained down on the ground.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Still think he was stupid usually when a guy is down like that I doubt it was a good thing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys do that all the time, then hop right up. I don't know what they're doin, but it's not uncommon.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I know our D was bad vs KC, but they were still laying the wood out there. NE would be wise to go down as quickly as possible. Our defense can hit and concuss people
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've said this before this season, but our defense seems to feed off our offense. It's uncanny. When our O is struggling, our D struggles. Then our O makes a few plays, and all of a sudden our D is like a pack of pirahnas. I don't think they're a bad defense when they are "on" --- just inconsistent because they don't stay "on" all the time. But they can definitely have a swarming secondary, and can definitely stop the run --- when they're "on". And sometimes, it's our D that comes alive and gives our offense a chance, like Mathis in the last game. Both our offense and defense were awesome in the second half.

This team is really good at adjusting. If they could just gameplan to come out and dominate to open the game, it would be a damn good team. I still think this team could hoist the championship this year, if they can turn it on when it matters.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

The prevailing weather patterns are just plain weird

Now it looks like 50 degree weather on Saturday night, with rain almost certain, possibly heavy, 13 mph winds

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fox.../2251291?day=4

average temp for Jan 11 in Boston: av. high = 36, av. low =22
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Gruden says Colts will beat NE and are a team of destiny. He is the biggest Luck fan on the planet
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I'm certain Luck and Wayne are having some long conversations about what Luck can expect and what to look for. Let's hope even though Wayne can't take the field he still has some contributions to make towards a winning effort.

Bring on the Pats!
    I hate it for Wayne that he can't be a part of this game. He deserved one more opportunity to play against the Pats in the playoffs. Despite the fact that the Colts and Pats are both always in the playoffs, we obviously haven't played them in the postseason since 2006. It's not every day that you get to play a playoff game in Foxboro, and I hate it for him that he can't be a part of it. Who knows, we might not ever again meet them in the playoffs while Wayne is here.

He does seem like he's done an excellent job in embracing his temporary role as "Coach Wayne". It has to kill him to not be out there, but he is the epitome of a professional and will always do whatever he can to help out the team.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...owdah/4362919/

Kravitz: Boston columnist has had too much chowdah

First of all, I'd like to thank Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe for saving me the long trip to New England. Apparently, there's no reason for me to make the trek, if I'm reading Tuesday's Globe column correctly. The Colts are, in his words, another in a long line of "tomato cans" who will bow before the great Patriot behemoth.

Why bother, right?

Now, I'm not going to put on a cheerleader's skirt and wave pompoms in an effort to ingratiate myself to our local readership. (And that ship sailed a long time ago, I'm quite sure.) I'm not going to tell you that the Colts are going to win Saturday night; I believe they have better than a puncher's chance, but gun to head, I'm taking the Pats 24-20.

But my man Shaughnessy is ODing on chowdah if he thinks the Colts are going to roll into Foxboro and crawl into the fetal position.

It's not so much about the Colts. It's about the Patriots: They're good but they're not great, not the great world-beaters they were back in 2003, '04 and '07. And they haven't been for a couple of years.

Shaughnessy says it himself: "Give me the Myth. Give me Team Luck."

COLTS LINKS: Shaughnessy and more

VENTURI: Belichick will exploit weaknesses

That's it: They are a modern-day myth. And they've needed their fair share of luck, and miracle comebacks, to forge that 12-4 record. (Which should sound familiar to Colts fans.) This isn't like the 2007 team that rolled over everybody by three touchdowns and set all kinds of records (since broken) in the process.

They're good, very good, an overachieving team that's done remarkable things despite suffering a spate of injuries. Twelve wins without Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski and Vince Wilfork, among others, is an amazing accomplishment, and further reinforces the notion that Bill Belichick is an extraordinary coach.

But …

In their last seven playoff games, the Patriots are 3-4. After starting 10-0 in the postseason, Brady and his team are 7-7.

Since reaching the Super Bowl in 2007 (that was the 18-0 team who lost to the Giants), the Patriots have lost three home playoff games, twice to Baltimore and once to the New York Jets.

They have a regular- and postseason record every other franchise envies, but without Brandon Spikes, Tommy Kelly, Jerod Mayo, Hernandez and Wilfork, the Patriots are not the dominant team they once were. Good, very good, but not dominant.

As former Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt might say – and he said it several years ago – the Patriots are "vulnerable," and have been for a couple of years.

Even Shaughnessy agrees with that, making my point while attempting to make his point.

"You know this Patriots team is nothing like those mastodons who dominated the NFL in 2003, 2004 and 2007," he wrote. "This team has a great coach and a great quarterback and not much else. This team has overcome innumerable hits and overachieved and earned its playoff bye…"

But not without some head-scratching victories – although, in truth, the Colts seem to own a monopoly on head-scratching, come-from-nowhere victories. The Pats needed a last-second touchdown pass to beat the Saints at home. They needed a miraculous comeback to beat the Broncos at home. They somehow knocked off the Browns with two touchdowns in the last two minutes.

Give them credit for all of that, just as you give the Colts credit for all their come-from-behind heroics. The point, though, is these aren't the Patriots who used to tangle on an almost-annual basis with Peyton Manning's Colts. These Patriots don't scare anybody. Not anymore.

"The Patriots are ready to dance to the Waltz of the Tomato Cans straight into the AFC championship game," Shaughnessy wrote.

Tomato cans? A speed bump on the way to the title game against – we think – the Denver Broncos?

"With all due respect, this is something of a joke," he wrote.

Well, it's with all due respect, so there's that.

"In short, Saturday is shaping up as a party night for the guys in the lifeguard chairs," he wrote.

At least Shaughnessy gave Pagano credit for signing former Patriot Deion Branch, who might be useful in the intelligence department.

"Very Belichickian," Shaughnessy wrote.

But …

"But it all changes on Saturday. Pagano will lose his football mind at the sight of Belichick and Tom Brady at Gillette Stadium. He will forget everything he ever knew about the gridiron … Foxborough will prove too much for the man. He will be swallowed up like Gary Kubiak, John Fox, Sean Payton, Jack Del Rio, Marty Schottenheimer and Belichick's personal stooge, Greg Schiano."

Just as long as he doesn't go for it on fourth and two deep in his own territory, Pagano should be just fine.

The Colts are going to play the Patriots off their feet Saturday. They are going to be in this game until the end. I'll take New England to pull it out at the finish, but it won't be a laugher.

With all due respect.

Bet you a chowdah on it.

A picture of Dan Shaughnessy in his office.

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If Luck walks into Foxboro and beats BRady in his first try inside of Peyton's bug a boo (a place he has still never won in the playoffs) and then has a chance to knock off 18 himself the next week.....well let's just say I might start dropping some irrationally crazy statements about 12.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I love when reporters try to get meaningful quotes from Luck. "We just want to win football games".
    "I am football robot designed to read plays and pulverize opponent"

Honestly the way he reacted to that fumble and decided so quickly to dive for the end zone is probably one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen. There was never any hesitation, just like that had been the plan all along.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Luck walks into Foxboro and beats BRady in his first try inside of Peyton's bug a boo (a place he has still never won in the playoffs) and then has a chance to knock off 18 himself the next week.....well let's just say I might start dropping some irrationally crazy statements about 12.

As if this wasn't one? He's only played there twice in the postseason ( most of those losses to the Pats were in the regular season) I know its not nearly as interesting to say but that's the truth like Luck losing there during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, I've always wondered why Deion Branch lives here. I mean it's a nice city and all, but it's a bit bizarre that a multi-millionaire athlete with no ties to the city would choose to live here. It's like how the HOF baseball player Tony Gwynn lived (still lives?) in Fishers.
    Deion lives in my parents' neighborhood right down the street. He has a kid with some sort of illness that Riley has a specialist for, plus he grew up in Louisville so it's not that crazy really.

His wife is very nice, Xmas eve or night I believe she came by my parents with a group of neighborhood kids and a couple other moms around the neighborhood and was Xmas caroling.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Nah, I saw it live, it wasn't apparent that Landry was hurt at first, and Sheppard was just doin' the usual head-slap celebration thing. You could see him change his stance after Landy remained down on the ground.
    So did I. I thought it was very apparent that Landry was hurt. Especially after the first and second slap. That being said I have no idea whether it actually made the injury any worse.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    As if this wasn't one? He's only played there twice in the postseason ( most of those losses to the Pats were in the regular season) I know its not nearly as interesting to say but that's the truth like Luck losing there during the regular season.
    0-2 is 0-2. That's all I'm saying. If Luck wins there on Saturday it will be a big deal not just because the Colts are advancing but because of who Luck just beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    0-2 is 0-2. That's all I'm saying. If Luck wins there on Saturday it will be a big deal not just because the Colts are advancing but because of who Luck just beat.
    I don't doubt the hyperbole will be in overdrive that's for sure. I just don't agree that a comparison should be made considering that the Pats teams back then were far superior to the one we'll be seeing on Saturday. It wasn't like we were ever favored to win those either.

Its like the Niners/Packers... the Packers always destroyed the Niners during the Favre era and now its the opposite. Does that mean Colin Kaepernick is better than Steve Young because of it? I don't think so. The teams aren't the same.