Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 351 to 361 of 361

Thread: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

  1. #351
    Wake me up next season.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,357
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    I've been using the ignore feature for a while now, and it does work nicely
    to help de-troll the threads. It still though will show a message such as:

    Originally Posted by hoosierguy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't there a way to block out the offensive poster's name as well?
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  2. #352
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolute pennies compared to the tens of millions of dollars (hundreds of millions?) that the community has given the team over the years. They owe it to the community to go over the LT if that's what it takes in the future.
    Are we really getting back to this? The only way this works is if you claim the Pacers really have never lost money, ignore the fact that they DID pay the LT for a number of years, and come up with the number that Herb is expected to lose to make up for it. Is it $30M? Is it $60M? Or what are you counting in addition to get your hundreds of millions - the city didn't contribute "hundreds of millions" even if you count the cost of building the Fieldhouse and pretend the Simons gave nothing toward it. Is that over 10 years or all at once? Does he also have to pay extra because the franchise has been of zero benefit to the community in the 30 year's the Simons have owned it (since they never won a championship)? If they go over the tax do they get to rescind the "no move" clause in the CIB agreement? Or would it just be better if the city shut them down because they weren't willing to lose money on purpose?

    There are times I think some people won't be happy until we have a big public burning of the Fieldhouse, with everyone cheering that those drains on the public coffers have finally been destroyed and rejoicing in the economic boost that the new parking lot will bring. Maybe a video of everyone singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" as the flames spread to Circle Centre, casting a beautiful glow on Lucas Oil Stadium, would go viral.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  4. #353
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we really getting back to this? The only way this works is if you claim the Pacers really have never lost money, ignore the fact that they DID pay the LT for a number of years, and come up with the number that Herb is expected to lose to make up for it. Is it $30M? Is it $60M? Or what are you counting in addition to get your hundreds of millions - the city didn't contribute "hundreds of millions" even if you count the cost of building the Fieldhouse and pretend the Simons gave nothing toward it. Is that over 10 years or all at once? Does he also have to pay extra because the franchise has been of zero benefit to the community in the 30 year's the Simons have owned it (since they never won a championship)? If they go over the tax do they get to rescind the "no move" clause in the CIB agreement? Or would it just be better if the city shut them down because they weren't willing to lose money on purpose?

    There are times I think some people won't be happy until we have a big public burning of the Fieldhouse, with everyone cheering that those drains on the public coffers have finally been destroyed and rejoicing in the economic boost that the new parking lot will bring. Maybe a video of everyone singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" as the flames spread to Circle Centre, casting a beautiful glow on Lucas Oil Stadium, would go viral.
    I've just always found it hard to believe that a couple of billionaires who started a mall empire couldn't even negotiate a brand new stadium deal which would make them money. I thought that the whole point of getting the Fieldhouse was because the Pacers couldn't survive financially at MSA?. When the team and city did the Fieldhouse deal in the 90's, the Pacers were at the zenith of their popularity and were obviously in a strong negotiating position. Yet a couple of billionaires who built a mall empire couldn't even negotiate a deal in a brand new arena to make the team money? Yeah, I'll forever call major BS on that since we've never seen the books.

    The only year in the last decade the Pacers made money, Morris said, was 2001-2002, the third season in the Fieldhouse.

    http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net...rticleID=45941

    So let me get this straight: They are telling us that they couldn't even make money in 1999-2000 when the Fieldhouse was brand new, the team sold out all 41 home games, and we went all the way to the NBA Finals? We were at the absolute zenith of our popularity that year, yet I'm really supposed to believe that we lost money?

    Sorry, I don't buy it and I never will.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  6. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if $15M extra to cover a $4M rise over the LT is "a little more", what would you think of as too much to spend? Should Simon be willing to go into the Nets and Lakers $100M LT level?
    I'm still waiting for you to get this upset when people suggest to give DG 9mil a year and go over the cap because he is the soul of the team, it seems like this only happen if somebody suggest to go over the cap with somebody else.

  7. #355
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still waiting for you to get this upset when people suggest to give DG 9mil a year and go over the cap because he is the soul of the team, it seems like this only happen if somebody suggest to go over the cap with somebody else.
    I think that would be stupid. Did someone actually suggest that? Or are you interpreting "I think it would be nice if Danny stayed" to mean "break the bank to keep him"?

    I am OK with them going over the LT for a little bit. I encourage it, I think it will bring in more than it loses. I would do it to keep Lance (barring a ridiculous salary of $10M+). What I DON'T like is the idea that somehow Herb "owes" it to the city to do it.
    Last edited by BillS; 01-06-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add clarification
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  9. #356
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So let me get this straight: They are telling us that they couldn't even make money in 1999-2000 when the Fieldhouse was brand new, the team sold out all 41 home games, and we went all the way to the NBA Finals? We were at the absolute zenith of our popularity that year, yet I'm really supposed to believe that we lost money?

    Sorry, I don't buy it and I never will.
    What year were they supposed to apply the cost of the Fieldhouse against? Remember that the Pacers actually kicked in a good portion of the money to build the place, and even if you pooh-pooh it because they only gave up money they were supposed to get (which is partially true), it still counts off the expected income.

    In any event, we've had this discussion over and over. I don't think any minds are going to be changed.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  11. #357
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been using the ignore feature for a while now, and it does work nicely
    to help de-troll the threads. It still though will show a message such as:



    Isn't there a way to block out the offensive poster's name as well?
    It's not supposed to reference their name. Hmm.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  13. #358
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,997

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair though, he is reaching nearly Olblu level.
    I think that's a bit unfair to Olblu. Not all trolls are cut from the same cloth. Olblu actually posted things that were not pure nonsense.

    Olblu...I kind of miss him. Now how again did he end his posts?...

    ...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  15. #359
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,378

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Olblu actually posted things that were not pure nonsense.

    ...
    Let's keep it real...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  16. #360
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's a bit unfair to Olblu. Not all trolls are cut from the same cloth. Olblu actually posted things that were not pure nonsense.

    Olblu...I kind of miss him. Now how again did he end his posts?...

    ...


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #361
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 1/5/2014 Game Thread #33: Pacers Vs. Cavaliers

    There is only one poster that I considered a true troll. Guys who lose their cool in game threads just get caught up in the moment easily. I have done it myself. Sometimes when people get upset, they just don't think rationally.

    Anyone who was on RealGM with me back in the day(cdash), probably knows who I am referring to haha. He actually came over here for a while, but I think he stopped posting around the same time the Pacers fired O'Brien.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •