Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Coldpocalyse 2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Coldpocalyse 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is that possible? You guys usually get a foot of snow in DC or so I hear.

Or maybe I'm thinking of NY/NJ
    The winters in DC really aren't too bad. It's generally 7-10 degrees warmer than Indianapolis, sometimes more, and when you're talking about the difference between 30 and 40 degrees its pretty significant. Winter still sucks here, but its somewhere in between the really cold winters of the Midwest and the more tolerable winters in the northern areas of the south. Other than 2011, I have never seen what I would call really significant snow here. We'll get snow on a couple occasions but it usually melts the same week. This year, however, its been so bitterly cold the snow has been on the ground for awhile, I forgot how depressing it is.

I like going back to Indiana, especially in the spring and fall, but the winters (especially) and summers there really suck.
    Last edited by idioteque; 01-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    The winters in DC really aren't too bad. It's generally 7-10 degrees warmer than Indianapolis, sometimes more, and when you're talking about the difference between 30 and 40 degrees its pretty significant. Winter still sucks here, but its somewhere in between the really cold winters of the Midwest and the more tolerable winters in the northern areas of the south. Other than 2011, I have never seen what I would call really significant snow here. We'll get snow on a couple occasions but it usually melts the same week. This year, however, its been so bitterly cold the snow has been on the ground for awhile, I forgot how depressing it is.

I like going back to Indiana, especially in the spring and fall, but the winters (especially) and summers there really suck.
    It was bad during snowmagedon and snowpacalypse a few years ago (I think 2007 and 2010, respectively)

I do agree its pretty tolerable, normally. This bitter cold has been a PIA though, I agree

It was 41 today but it will be beyond cold tomorrow.

How?!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Accuweather says my area...Augusta, GA...is going to get 4-8" of snow between tomorrow and Wednesday. So, anyway, it's been nice knowing you guys. Let the madness begin.

Oh, that's after a projected high of 65 today.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Open cabinet doors below the sink so heat can get through (maybe pipes won't freeze)

This thread is a good idea BTW
    And, if you are worried about your cat or small dog getting in there, take an expandable window screen and put it in the opening. Might have to put just a small piece of tape on the top and bottom depending on the size of the screen and opening.

I also strongly agree with Heisenberg. BRING THOSE PETS INSIDE, and when they need out - use a leash and get them back indoors quick. Puppy pads and litter boxes are their friends.

Houston has had ice before(or maybe I'm thinking Dallas the SB from 3 years ago) but snow that's a first.
    Nah they have had snow before. It snowed in Houston four years ago when I lived there. Only like a quarter of an inch stuck but people lost their ****.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I am not sure what I hate worse. This weather or 100 degree weather. I probably can deal with the temps better really cold. But you add in the snow, salt, wet, dirty, having to wear coats, hats, gloves, shovel snow, drive add all that in and I don't know. I hate hot weather though, makes me feel sick when it get close to 90
    Why even make a choice? Do what I do, and just hate them both with equal passion!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I gotta hit the lotto so I can buy an island in the tropics or something. This sucks.

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Indy's shut down tomorrow. Good thing we don't have the Super Bowl this year.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'm sure if this had happened two years ago they would've used that as a reason to never have an SB in Indy(even though LOS is an indoor stadium) again.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

The summer of 2012 was blistering hot. And this one is frigid. I still would rather have this than that.

If Indiana weather just fluctuated year round from 75 down to about 25, I'd be absolutely fine with that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Indy's shut down tomorrow. Good thing we don't have the Super Bowl this year.
    I had to laugh at this. It is unsafe for all those public employees to go to work, but us private employees just have to bundle up and tough it out.

At least they get to work downtown with all those tall buildings blocking the wind. Where I work there is nothing but open spaces for the wind to blow over. Walking into work was brutal today and yesterday.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

I'm really glad the place I work at allows teleworking.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The University of Michigan cancelled classes, which is kind of a big deal.

It's cold out there, no doubt. At least the wind chill isn't quite as awful as expected. Whooo, -13.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Any car experts. My car is a 2005, and it is parked in a garage except when I am at work. But yesterday I had to go to Philly, so my car was at the airport lot from 4:00 AM until midnight. My car started and I got home fine. It was parked in my garage overnight - around 35 degrees in there. Driving to work this morning there was a strong burning smell coming from under my hood. No smoke, but my drive is only about 12 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Did you ever have the heat on in your car at any point?

Did you ever have the heat on in your car at any point?
    Yes a lot of heat, it is cold outside

That would explain the smell that's happened to me as well.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Any car experts. My car is a 2005, and it is parked in a garage except when I am at work. But yesterday I had to go to Philly, so my car was at the airport lot from 4:00 AM until midnight. My car started and I got home fine. It was parked in my garage overnight - around 35 degrees in there. Driving to work this morning there was a strong burning smell coming from under my hood. No smoke, but my drive is only about 12 minutes.

Any thoughts?
    I bet some critter crawled up there to get warm.... Its all good...now you have lunch.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I took my car in and evidently I ran over a plastic bag of some sort. It will burn off by itself. Thinking about it, it did smell like burning plastic

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Augusta has had its obligatory 25-car pile-up. I swear, we had 2" at most. And yet:

http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...DABKMHB00.html

By RAY HENRY and RUSS BYNUM

ATLANTA (AP) - Helicopters took to the skies Wednesday to search for stranded drivers while Humvees delivered food, water and gas - or a ride home - to people who were stuck on roads after a winter storm walloped the Deep South.

Students spent the night on buses or at schools, commuters abandoned their cars or slept in them and interstates turned into parking lots. The problems started when schools, businesses and government offices all let out at the same time. As people waited in gridlock, snow accumulated, the roads froze, cars ran out of gas and tractor-trailers jackknifed, blocking equipment that could have treated some of the roads. In the chaos, though, there were stories of rescues and kindness.

It wasn't clear exactly how many people were still stranded on the roads a day after the storm paralyzed the region. And the timing of when things would clear and when the highways would thaw was also uncertain because temperatures were not expected to be above freezing.

"We literally would go 5 feet and sit for two hours," said Jessica Troy, who along with a co-worker spent more than 16 hours in her car before finally getting home late Wednesday morning.
    Their total trip was about 12 miles."I slept for an hour and it was not comfortable," Troy said. "Most people sat the entire night with no food, no water, no bathroom. We saw people who had children. It was a dire situation."
    The rare snowstorm deposited mere inches of snow in Georgia and Alabama, but there were more than 1,000 fender-benders. At least six people died in traffic accidents, including five in Alabama, and four people were killed early Tuesday in a Mississippi mobile home fire blamed on a faulty space heater.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-29-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

So we're supposed to be getting lots of heavy snow again this weekend/Mon-Wed. One model is even saying we could have 30" total.

Goodness.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So we're supposed to be getting lots of heavy snow again this weekend/Mon-Wed. One model is even saying we could have 30" total.

Goodness.
    No way

http://fox41blogs.typepad.com/wdrb_w...-bouts-of.html
    The hi-res 12z run of the EURO is showing a similar scenario. This close up snowfall plot centered over Indiana shows a massive swath of 12"+ snowfall from near Scottsburg to Lafayette along I-65 (a distance of about 150 miles).
    The brighter pinks in the plot would represent between 15 and 18 inches of snow. That would be an absolutely crippling snowstorm for the Hoosier State
    And that's supposed be after we get some light snow (2-4") this weekend.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: