Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coldpocalyse 2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Coldpocalyse 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the same jerk passed me on Washington yesterday afternoon. Jackass even cut me off because I couldn't go faster than 20 without losing control out there.
    Was it a white truck? He cut the mini van off and all I could do is shake my head at the guy. Washington St was not in good condition and I was not going to go over 20 either. Sure I was late to work, but at least I was in one piece.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    I'm heading back to the Cleve this weekend. Hope it won't be as bad there!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not sure about the Land of Cleves, but Toledo is supposed to hit +40 degrees on Saturday, which is going to feel like freaking spring compared to this onslaught of misery.
    Yup, supposed to be back to 40ish Saturday. It got very cold, but we got little to no additional snow during this coldpocalypse thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Was it a white truck? He cut the mini van off and all I could do is shake my head at the guy. Washington St was not in good condition and I was not going to go over 20 either. Sure I was late to work, but at least I was in one piece.
    I honestly couldn't remember now (I was more worried about keeping the car on the road than noting the color of a truck that cut me off ), but I don't think it was white. Must have been his brother Darryl. Or maybe his other brother Darryl....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

A warm and snug 21 degrees right now. I could almost go tan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a 4x4 truck, and even though I get plenty of roadrage I don't drive like a dick, but one thing that kills me is when two cars both are going slowly right beside each other. I get going slow, but at least move over and go slowly behind each other letting others get through that are more capable of handling the conditions.

On the flip side though, we drove down to Lawrenceburg to go skiing 1/2/14 when the snow first came down, wasn't in my big ol Dodge but we were in my GF's Jeep. It was really bad going down SR3, I got a little uneasy going any faster than 45. Quite shocking to watch this little Prius blow by me doing close to 60. Kept waiting to come up on them on the side of the road, but never did. They weren't the only ones, but it's crazy to see jackasses fly up and tailgate you only to jerk their car into the other lane with 5-6 inches of snow coming down at you.

First day back to work since 2:30pm on New Year's Eve. Really bad case of cabin fever.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Bit cooler here, 16, but tell me about it. Went to get lunch and thought about not even taking my coat. Did of course, I'm not a moron, but seriously felt like I didn't need it.

There is a comfortable medium to the snow driving dance if people just respect lanes. The issue is that a lot of slower drivers or cars that cannot easily handle the weather choose to drive in the fast lane and it is beyond frustrating. Especially when the road finally clears up and yet they still drive 30 under the speed limit. It is just as dangerous as driving way too fast but for different reasons.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm starting to feel like: Attachment 819

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Lost power on Sunday at 2PM around 71st and Keystone. Waited a couple of hours and decided to pack up what we needed and headed down to Parents house in SouthPort. The drive was white knuckle. People are crazy. I can't believe anyone would tailgate another car in this kind of weather rather than going around. Its not like there wasn't room.

Power came back on Tuesday at 4PM, our neighbors across the street had power by 4 AM Monday morning. Why IPL would leave the other side of the street with out power is mind boggling. I think its has to be that our Lines are behind the house across a creek and the service techs didn't want to have to bring a ladder out, said screw it. let some other crew deal with it.

We put our food in the garage and came home to frozen blocks. But better than spoiling.

Tip for the wise. If your power goes out like this and you abandon ship. Turn on the faucet farthest away from your main water shutoff valve and then shut the water off. This should relieve enough pressure and empty out the pipes enough so that the freezing expansion doesn't burst your pipes, and if it does atleast the water is off and you don't come home to a flood zone. Never leave your water just trickling if you are leaving the house for several days.

My Subaru WRX is monster in the snow though, it feasted plenty. First big snow storm with this car and I have to say it is most impressive with AWD.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been playing basketball outside in shorts and a T-shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Lost power on Sunday at 2PM around 71st and Keystone. Waited a couple of hours and decided to pack up what we needed and headed down to Parents house in SouthPort. The drive was white knuckle. People are crazy. I can't believe anyone would tailgate another car in this kind of weather rather than going around. Its not like there wasn't room.

Power came back on Tuesday at 4PM, our neighbors across the street had power by 4 AM Monday morning. Why IPL would leave the other side of the street with out power is mind boggling. I think its has to be that our Lines are behind the house across a creek and the service techs didn't want to have to bring a ladder out, said screw it. let some other crew deal with it.

We put our food in the garage and came home to frozen blocks. But better than spoiling.

Tip for the wise. If your power goes out like this and you abandon ship. Turn on the faucet farthest away from your main water shutoff valve and then shut the water off. This should relieve enough pressure and empty out the pipes enough so that the freezing expansion doesn't burst your pipes, and if it does atleast the water is off and you don't come home to a flood zone. Never leave your water just trickling if you are leaving the house for several days.

My Subaru WRX is monster in the snow though, it feasted plenty. First big snow storm with this car and I have to say it is most impressive with AWD.

I live near there that would probably explain why my power went out for 5 seconds and then came back.

Here is a great read. Indystar reporter's 24 hour drive from Chicago to Indy. Never been through anything like this, but have a few times felt the fear of driving on an interstate with blowing snow and not being able to see the road you are driving on at all, not being able to see the lines. it can be very scary. Can't even see well enough to pull over. Next scariest thing is feeling like you have no control of your car while a semi passes you on the left and thinking you are about to get crushed.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/c...hours/4365013/

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    it is amazing how much warmer today feels than Monday. But then Monday was almost 40 degrees colder with a wind chill probably 60 degrees colder.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I've been playing basketball outside in shorts and a T-shirt...
    Die

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Here is a great read. Indystar reporter's 24 hour drive from Chicago to Indy. Never been through anything like this, but have a few times felt the fear of driving on an interstate with blowing snow and not being able to see the road you are driving on at all, not being able to see the lines. it can be very scary. Can't even see well enough to pull over. Next scariest thing is feeling like you have no control of your car while a semi passes you on the left and thinking you are about to get crushed.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/c...hours/4365013/
    I've never had a terrifying experience in the snow, but 2 years ago I did a summer road trip with two buddies. We borrowed my dad's car (an A8) and set off to meet a friend in Sacramento then hit Portland and Seattle and come back. So we leave on a friday around noon and hit Iowa right around 6 or so I can't rmemeber exactly. We knew there was rain coming, but being from the midwest and driving through plenty of rain storms in my life time, I thought nothing of it....BIG MISTAKE. The next 45 minutes were the most white knuckled driving experience of my life. It shoudl have been a clue when literally everyone in front of me pulled off at a rest stop right as we were about to the edge, but like I said, I thought no big deal and plowed forward down I-80 in the middle of butt**** nowhere Iowa.

Immediately as we hit the edge of the storm I knew I had made a mistake, rain was thick and the wind was heavy visbility was literally zero. A few times in front of me I could see the rain begin to rotate and I thought we were all goners. At this point we were committed to getting through the storm in the vehicle because we were toast if we got out, it was that bad. I will love that A8 til the day I died because with the roads being cleared I put that V8 to the ground with Quattro and got our asses through the storm as fast as possible. On the other side we saw at least 6 semis that had not just been over turned but were tossed off the road. Huge swaths of trees destroyed. Checking the news the next day before we took off from our hotel in Wyoming we learned we had driven through at least three touchdown tornadoes. I don't know how close they were to us, but based on one of the instances of rotation I would guess one crossed about 100 yards ahead of us at one point. Thank god for a ton of German steel and 360 horsepower going through the world's best 4 wheel drive system. But needless to say I am now much more careful when approaching a storm front on the open road. The most terrifying experience though of the whole thing besides the fear of a tornado going all Oz on our asses was that out of nowhere a car had stopped in the fast lane, not even under an overpass. Just sitting there stopped on the fast lane. There was semi stopped in the slow lane. They hadn't collided. I think the car was attempting to wait out the storm in the shadow of the semi, but I nearly hit them and then I laid on my horn and made their *** move out of the way because I was extremely concerned someone would hit me since I was now stuck behind this dumbass.

Granted it's kind of fun to think about now, but I about **** my pants driving through it.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.

I made the drive yesterday from Madison, WI to Bloomington.

The roads were dry until I hit Fair Oaks Farms on 65, and after that there were only a few scattered places with a little bit of ice cover (north of West Lafayette, around Lebanon, and a couple of other spots). Surprisingly enough, I thought the roads in and around Indy were the worst by far. It was completely backwards from what I was expecting.

It was below -50 in Minneapolis. It was so cold that the inside of my nose froze every time I breathed in.

Apparently we're under a winter weather advisory till 1 AM tomorrow. Good thing its a 3 day weekend for a lot of us.

The snow won't be an issue but in the middle of next week the Polar Vortex returns.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

So after Coldpocalypse passed and we had high 40s for a couple of days I noticed a lot of squirrels out. I thought, "man they must think spring is coming early".

Thinking back I am fairly the wildlife were gathering more nuts because this winter is going to be long and cold.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

As I was leaving work after 5 today I checked the wind chill. It was -13, and I actually thought "Oh, that's not so bad." Yes, that's where my head is at these days.

We're looking at low temperatures in the negative double-digits again next week, plus there's a chance of a big storm in the Midwest during Super Bowl weekend. Good times, y'all.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

This winter makes you grateful for just how obscenely lucky Indy was two years ago when it had the Super Bowl.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I usually never let the winter weather get to me, but this winter is wearing me out.

will predict that February will be above average temps. Things usually even out

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I usually never let the winter weather get to me, but this winter is wearing me out.

will predict that February will be above average temps. Things usually even out
    They have evened out...we're paying for the last couple years.

I agree, this sucks...it's nonstop cold and snow, yuck.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm definitely tired of this crap.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    They have evened out...we're paying for the last couple years.

I agree, this sucks...it's nonstop cold and snow, yuck.
    Last winter was pretty average. 2012 was much warmer and less snowy than average. But then 2011 was cold and snowy.

But my comment about things typically even out I was mainly just talking about within the same season. In 2011 after around February 10th it was warmer than normal. (Only winter that didn't tend to even out was 2012, that was warm the whole time basically) But go back to the hot summer and drought of 2012. June and especially July was extrmely dry and hot. But August and September were both pretty much average temps. Rain we got 6.5 inches in August and 7.7 inches in September. Both are about 2.5 - 3 times the normal.

So a month from right now I bet we are looking back at this winter as bad, but it ended a little early
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-24-2014 at 08:34 AM.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

23 degrees in my sunroom in GA. Not right.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!