Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coldpocalyse 2014

Default Re: Coldpocalyse 2014

I debated starting my car myself but I think I can wait till Wednesday I don't really need to go anywhere till then.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I totally did this, because Im an idiot. And yes, it does work here.

Yeah, I definitely tried this after watching your video. Worked nice.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Purdue and some IU campuses, including Bloomington, are closed again tomorrow. This is a rare event indeed.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I have a buddy in Indy who works retail who was forced to come in today (by corporate people who live somewhere else). It took him 30 minutes to dig his car out of the snow, and he drove 30 minutes only to find he was the only person who showed up. He promptly went home, hope his boss isn't too pissed.

It is cold in DC as well, but I have no right to complain, its not in the negative and I was in the Caribbean last week!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

As cold as it is here it's that hot in Australia, 109 degrees!

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/an...106-30d7k.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

A different take on the boiling water into frigid air trick....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Went out a few times today.

Jeez man, I mean it is one thing to fathom how cold -14 is, and completely another to feel it. Took about 30-45 minutes to shovel the snow off the car because I had to go in like every 5 minutes because of the grueling wind coupled with the bitter temperature.

One could say that the roads were icy, but I think it would be more correct to just say the roads were ice.

And yet not matter how deadly and inconvenient it is, damnit that snow is beautiful.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Went out a few times today.

Jeez man, I mean it is one thing to fathom how cold -14 is, and completely another to feel it. Took about 30-45 minutes to shovel the snow off the car because I had to go in like every 5 minutes because of the grueling wind coupled with the bitter temperature.

One could say that the roads were icy, but I think it would be more correct to just say the roads were ice.

And yet not matter how deadly and inconvenient it is, damnit that snow is beautiful.
    I just needed to dig out where the snow plows had covered up my drive way. What would have taken me 15 minutes on a normal winter day took me almost 45 minutes because I was on a pitch count. Only was out there for 10 minutes at a time because it was just to freaking cold. It just hurt the lungs to breath out there.

I have no clue how those players did it in the 49ers/Packers game.

Love watching a 4x4 truck pass a mini van using the turn lane on Washington Street. Are you really in that much of a hurry to go somewhere that you have to drive like a maniac on such horrible road conditions?

Woohoo Cleveland!

-10°F

FEELS LIKE -33°

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I have a buddy in Indy who works retail who was forced to come in today (by corporate people who live somewhere else). It took him 30 minutes to dig his car out of the snow, and he drove 30 minutes only to find he was the only person who showed up. He promptly went home, hope his boss isn't too pissed.

It is cold in DC as well, but I have no right to complain, its not in the negative and I was in the Caribbean last week!

His boss clearly sucks to even ask such a thing when the mayor of Indy was even featured on cable news networks about declaring Indianapolis under a state of emergency. And one would be subject to arrest if it wasn't for emergency reasons.

Its retail its not as if he's a doctor or someone who chose to be employed in serious conditions. A store can be closed for one day.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

You'd be surprised at how some bosses think. ......

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

I work in shipping and logistics. Our company told us not to come in yesterday, but we're back today and what a nightmare it has been....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A friends daughter manages a gas station. The station owner actually told her that her job is essential, that people would run out of gas and be stranded. So she went in. Only problem was they were out of gas when she got there because their fuel truck couldn't make it. She was told she'd be fired if she went home and now that the boss knew she could make it, it must not be that bad. The guy who owns her station told her this from the comfort of his living room in South Florida.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Actually this doesn't surprise me but it does disappoint. It reminds me of the snow storm we had in 2007 and I knew some people who had to come in to work at the stores even though it was treacherous for them to do so. I mean a gas station I at least get but I think people don't need the latest designer bag during a snow storm.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

One of my friend manages a local restaurant and he was told he had to go in an open up. I could not believe it when he told. Who the hell was going to get out in that stuff yesterday and risk getting ticket/arrested to go eat? Obviously, nobody did because he got the call a couple hours later after having nobody come in to close the place down. Sometimes I wonder how these bosses really think. I cannot fathom thinking of having employees come in when the mayor has declared state of emergency for the city.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I work in shipping and logistics. Our company told us not to come in yesterday, but we're back today and what a nightmare it has been....
    I can confirm this. I work for a diesel engine company that supplies engines to these shipping and logistics companies and have been inundated with calls on why their trucks are not starting. It's been a joy.

Mood

Good thing in all this is I found tickets for the game tonight cheap. 3rd game I get to go to. That is down significantly from last year.Pacers being good is not good for me getting tickets lol.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    A friends daughter manages a gas station. The station owner actually told her that her job is essential, that people would run out of gas and be stranded. So she went in. Only problem was they were out of gas when she got there because their fuel truck couldn't make it. She was told she'd be fired if she went home and now that the boss knew she could make it, it must not be that bad. The guy who owns her station told her this from the comfort of his living room in South Florida.
    That's not the only boss sending people out in this while he enjoys Florida...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Actually this doesn't surprise me but it does disappoint. It reminds me of the snow storm we had in 2007 and I knew some people who had to come in to work at the stores even though it was treacherous for them to do so. I mean a gas station I at least get but I think people don't need the latest designer bag during a snow storm.
    Or takeout food....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    One of my friend manages a local restaurant and he was told he had to go in an open up. I could not believe it when he told. Who the hell was going to get out in that stuff yesterday and risk getting ticket/arrested to go eat? Obviously, nobody did because he got the call a couple hours later after having nobody come in to close the place down. Sometimes I wonder how these bosses really think. I cannot fathom thinking of having employees come in when the mayor has declared state of emergency for the city.
    *clears throat*

Something needs to be done 'in law' to give the emergency order some teeth to be used against employers requiring non essential employees to come in during an emergency order.

I can understand a certain subset of jobs needing to be open if at all possible. Gas stations being one of them. Grocery stores... maybe. Donna's Dress Mart? No way.

AFAIK, even though you can be ticketed for being out on the road there's NOTHING you can do if your boss fires you because you didn't risk the roads even though you've effectively been ordered off of them. POSSIBLY if the boss actually says he fired you because you didn't come in on a day when there was an emergency order in place you'd have some recourse thru the courts. But who has the time and money for that, let alone at the end of the day you just get your job back and still have the same boss. Or maybe you can make an argument that shows you were fired for not coming in on that day and take it in front of the judge.

But most likely, the boss isn't going to 'officially' say you were fired for missing a snow day during an emergency order. He might tell you that, but by the time the paperwork is done and he's making an official statement he'll say you were going to be fired/replaced/laid off anyway and the snow day simply had nothing to do with it.

The law really needs to somehow force non-essential businesses to close on those days so there's no question you don't have to come into work. But then, 'non essential' and 'essential' will need to be fairly well defined in law or else Donna's Dress Mart will argue people need to be able to buy coats. But the truth is, when an emergency order is in place then there should rarely be a way or reason to open since nobody should be able to get there to unlock the business doors and no customers should be able to get there to shop either. So it's a vicious cycle that takes place when there's no teeth to force an employer NOT to tell you to come in regardless of the emergency order.

If there is something already in Indiana law that addresses this I don't know what it is.
    Last edited by Bball; 01-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Woohoo Cleveland!

-10°F

FEELS LIKE -33°
    I'm heading back to the Cleve this weekend. Hope it won't be as bad there!

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    I'm heading back to the Cleve this weekend. Hope it won't be as bad there!
    Not sure about the Land of Cleves, but Toledo is supposed to hit +40 degrees on Saturday, which is going to feel like freaking spring compared to this onslaught of misery.

This is totally safe!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Love watching a 4x4 truck pass a mini van using the turn lane on Washington Street. Are you really in that much of a hurry to go somewhere that you have to drive like a maniac on such horrible road conditions?
    I think the same jerk passed me on Washington yesterday afternoon. Jackass even cut me off because I couldn't go faster than 20 without losing control out there.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca