Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coldpocalyse 2014

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Coldpocalyse 2014

As I'm sure most of you Central Indiana residents know, the weather early next week is going to be bitterly cold, with high temperatures not getting out of the negative double digits. I made this thread as a way to share stories and tips.

My tip is to keep all interior doors open and to leave faucets on (very low) over night as this can help prevent pipes freezing!

Carmel HS Class of 2011

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Coldpocalyse 2014

Spray a coat of PAM (or any cooking spray) on the bottom of the seal on the garage door. Keeps the seal from freezing to the concrete.

Oh - and don't put your tongue on a metal pole.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Another tip: Do not go outside longer than 5 - 10 minutes! Frostbite can strike FAST in this cold + wind

Carmel HS Class of 2011

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Open cabinet doors below the sink so heat can get through (maybe pipes won't freeze)

This thread is a good idea BTW

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

bring your outdoor cat in so I don't have to drop a neighbor

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I have some small memories of January 1994. I was growing up in Southern Indiana and remember a massive snowfall followed by beyond frigid temperatures. But since then, I certainly don't remember anything as bad as what's being forecast for Monday and Tuesday (which I guess makes sense since they are saying it will be the coldest temps in 20 years). Sure, it's not uncommon to have lows below 0 in the winter. But a high of -14 and a low of -17 with wind chills that will make it feel like -30/-40? That is some crazy stuff.

At -17, you could increase the temperature by 50 degrees and you'd still only barely break the freezing mark! Think of the obvious difference between how 50 degrees feels compared to 100 degrees. There is the same difference between -17 degrees and 33 degrees (which is still obviously a pretty cold temperature). I can't imagine how cold it will feel outside when you factor in the wind.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-04-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Mood

That is really gonna suck if I have to work Monday and Tuesday. I am lucky to have four wheel drive, but that might not even help me out. Having frostbite on my feet in the Army makes me really want to stay in the house longer. I don't know the truth but a co-worker discussed that once you have been frostbitten once it can be worse with circulation problems. Hopefully we don't lose power or anything like that.

Pro tip: Move to Phoenix

Highs in the low 70's here next week

Fill up that vehicle now. 1st you don't want to get too low in these temperatures and have a gas line freeze up and shoot why would you want to be outside pumping gas if you can avoid it for a few days.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I'm driving to Minneapolis on Sunday, where the wind chill is expected to reach -50. The high today in b-town is supposed to be 38, which is cold, so I can't imagine what 88 degrees cooler feels like.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Filled up the cars and made the mistake of going to Kroger today. So many people and people were being rude as hell.

Hopefully Indianapolis does a better job this time with the snow than they did the other day. Sadly. My place of work never officially closes so if I do not feel comfortable getting out or I'm snowed in I will have to use a vacation day.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Is this the Kroger at Speedway? (used to go to that one when I lived near the track) looks a lot different now. But yeah did the same hardly any bread and no eggs. (I was only considering eggs because I have a coupon for a free dozen and didn't want to waste it)

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Is this the Kroger at Speedway? (used to go to that one when I lived near the track) looks a lot different now. But yeah did the same hardly any bread and no eggs. (I was only considering eggs because I have a coupon for a free dozen and didn't want to waste it)
    Yep, it is the one in Speedway. Had to stalk a lady to get a cart. The parking lot was a madhouse and drove me insane.

It will be funny if we don't get the snow they're predicting(I don't doubt it will be that cold though)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It begins. Speedway has declared a Snow Emergency:

http://fox59.com/2014/01/04/town-of-...#axzz2pUZQtWjG
    SPEEDWAY, In— Town of Speedway officials today implemented additional measures to make the snow fight and public safety response more effective during the incoming severe winter weather. Effective IMMEDIATELY, Town officials have declared a SNOW EMERGENCY throughout the Town of Speedway.

Current forecasts call for snow accumulations of up to an additional foot from Saturday evening through Sunday night, followed by Arctic-like conditions. Temperatures Sunday through Tuesday are predicted at below-zero, with wind chill possibly pushing temperatures to -30 degrees or lower.

TRAVEL

Residents are strongly encouraged to not travel unless absolutely essential! Keeping vehicles off the road helps not only the snow-fight, but any needed public safety response.

PARKING / RELATED

As part of the SNOW EMERGENCY designation, certain parking and other restrictions are in place, including:

 No parking on either side of Lynhurst Drive from 10th Street to 26th Street beginning at 5:00pm Saturday. A determination as to when the SNOW EMERGENCY ends will be made as-needed and notification provided. The Speedway Police Department and Code Enforcement Division will be enforcing the no-parking provision.

 All residents (both on thoroughfares and residential streets) are strongly encouraged to PARK OFF-STREET to make the Speedway Street Department plowing efforts as effective as possible and again, make needed police and fire runs safer.

 No “snow-dumping” on Town streets: Anyone plowing or using a snow-blower at a private residence or business should not dump or blow snow on to a public street. The Speedway Police Department and Code Enforcement Division will be enforcing this provision.

 Anyone in need of assistance in the event of a power outage or other weather related matter should contact the Administrative Line at the Speedway Police Department at 246-4343.

The snow fight has begun and the Town will have a total of six snow plow and salt trucks on duty for the duration.

Please keep in mind that the Town’s police and fire response will be facing the same weather challenges, and as such will be prioritizing to handle immediate threat responses. If you have a non-emergency situation, but want to contact the Police or Fire Department, please use the non-emergency administrative number at 317-246-4343.

A determination as to when the snow emergency is lifted will be made as-needed and notice provided.

Read more: http://fox59.com/2014/01/04/town-of-...#ixzz2pV6A68h8
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Good thing the game was yesterday after all and the Pacers don't have a home game today.

But I hear Evansville is just getting a lot of rain today since its above freezing.

Coming down pretty good here as a thick/heavy/wet snow. Temperature staying right at about freezing.

Yeah it is I thought they were heavily exaggerating how bad it was going to be they weren't kidding.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yeah it is I thought they were heavily exaggerating how bad it was going to be they weren't kidding.

Yeah, it's pretty heavy right now. I'm curious to see how much we get and am even more curious to see just how bitterly cold it feels tomorrow mornng.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

The snow has doubled in ferocity within the last hour here in Lafayette. The wind has picked up too. We probably have 4-5" of snow so far. I-65 southbound is closed just north of Lebanon due to a crash. It's very messy out there. You guys are right though; the real news story is the temperatures. Weather.gov is predicting a wind chill of -44 tomorrow in Tippecanoe County. I hope everyone takes care of themselves in this cold.

I have heard that all locations of the Allen County Public Library (Fort Wayne and surrounding communities) have closed for today and tomorrow. That's very smart on their behalf.

Here's some winter weather links I always rely upon, just in case anyone would find them useful:

Indiana State Police Road and Weather Information

Indiana County Travel Status Map

Indiana Traveler Info
    Last edited by obnoxiousmodesty; 01-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Nothing but rain here in Lawrence County
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

If you have satellite TV and its safe to access your dish, spray a coat of cooking oil on it. The snow will slide right off and keep the signal strong.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Pretty heavy here, hasn't really "stopped" snowing since about 8:40 AM... Can't really tell where my yard ends and the road starts...
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

We're well over 8 inches in Lafayette now, but with the wind sustained at 22mph it's hard to really judge. Visibility is very, very low. Purdue has closed through tomorrow.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.