Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday's Game possible postponement and make-up dates.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default Sunday's Game possible postponement and make-up dates.

I am guessing that with the current forecast of 8"-12" of snow along with brutal winds causing heavy drifting, and the fact that the pacers can't leave town until after their game Saturday night, that Sunday's game in Cleveland will be cancelled.

What are some possible make-up dates for the Cavs game and could it possibly be a blessing and get us out of playing a back-to-back like we were scheduled?
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 01-03-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sunday's Game possible cancellation and make-up dates.

I would never predict that an NBA game is cancelled.
    @qandrews9428

Default Re: Sunday's Game possible cancellation and make-up dates.

I guess I should have used Postponed instead of cancelled. The Bulls @ Pacers game last December was postponed because of weather, and the Bulls were already in town. I think if the NBA feels it is too dangerous for fans to come to the game, then they will postpone it to a later date.

Default Re: Sunday's Game possible postponement and make-up dates.

Saturday's weather is supposed to be pretty good. highs in the 30's. By 6:00 am Sunday morning we are only supposed to have 2 inches of snow and temps will be around 20. So no reason what-so-ever they cannot get to Cleveland for Sunday's game. Plus they will fly out of indy around 1:00 AM Sunday morning.

I suppose it might be possible they get stuck in Cleveland an extra day and won't be able to fly back to Indy until Tuesday.

so I don't expect any games to be cancelled, although I suppose Tuesday nights game is a better possibility. Where are the Raptors coming from?

i am still very surprised last years game was cancelled. oops I should say postponned
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expect that the game will be played.

But I just looked up the upcoming forecast, and WOW. 4-8 inches of snow on Sunday. Then on Monday, the high will be -10 with a low of -15. WTF? That sort of cold is almost impossible to comprehend.

Plus if you look at weather.com 3:00 PM on Sunday in Cleveland is supposed to be 34 degrees and light snow. The game will be played

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I expect that the game will be played.

But I just looked up the upcoming forecast, and WOW. 4-8 inches of snow on Sunday. Then on Monday, the high will be -10 with a low of -15. WTF? That sort of cold is almost impossible to comprehend.
    Not usual for around here, but not impossible. When I was a kid we had it happen a couple of years, and we've been down to -10 (without wind chill) at least once since 2007 when I moved back.

Compare that to the end of January when I fully expect us to have at least one 50-degree day, which also is not unusual.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Raptors are @Miami on Sunday

Not only that, with the 35 MPH winds the wind chill could reach -40 degrees. I am actually worried about my dog going out to use the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not usual for around here, but not impossible. When I was a kid we had it happen a couple of years, and we've been down to -10 (without wind chill) at least once since 2007 when I moved back.

Compare that to the end of January when I fully expect us to have at least one 50-degree day, which also is not unusual.
    I grew up in Southern Indiana and remember a massive snowstorm in January 1994 with wicked sub zero temperatures afterword. But since then, I can't say I recall temperatures as cold as what is coming on Monday. I guess it's the polar opposite of that extreme heatwave we had in 2012 with multiple days in the 100's.

I think I read if it gets to -15 it will be the coldest temp since 1994 in indy.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

When I was younger we had the big Ice Storm, which was pretty wicked. Prompted my Dad to get a generator just so he could watch IU basketball, not because of the family.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

i am still very surprised last years game was cancelled.
    And I still say the league dropped the ball on that, considering they waited until the last possible second to cancel the game (AKA when Bulls fans were already arriving in town).

I think I'll email work and tell em I'm working from home on Monday.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Not only that, with the 35 MPH winds the wind chill could reach -40 degrees. I am actually worried about my dog going out to use the bathroom.
    In the blizzard of '77, we had to carry our medium sized black lab outside by carrying it to an area where we shoveled the snow so she could pee. And then carry her back in.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    When it's that cold it gives "tinkle" a whole new meaning
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

77 was the year it never got above 0 for a whole month. It would warm up to there and drop to -22 over night. It was chilly that year. Lots of snow on top of that. brrrr
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hoopsforlife For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I grew up in Southern Indiana and remember a massive snowstorm in January 1994 with wicked sub zero temperatures afterword. But since then, I can't say I recall temperatures as cold as what is coming on Monday. I guess it's the polar opposite of that extreme heatwave we had in 2012 with multiple days in the 100's.
    We had a pretty rough week of it in 94 for sure.

This time around it's only for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure we've dipped sub-zero plenty of times in the last 10 years. The only thing that might suck is if it helps plant a bunch of snow into the ground as a follow-up freeze behind a ton of snow/ice.

I walked to the ice-game a couple of seasons ago and was getting sleeted on the whole way. Crowd was light but not totally empty that night, and it was the Raps I think (or some non-impressive opponent). My concern is the team being able to return right after the game due to the status here in Indy, and only because of rest concerns. They'll be able to come back for sure the next morning worst-case.

I was so livid at the candy-*** "let's bail out the Bulls" postponement of the game last year. I worked that day as did plenty of other people. By 5 pm all the downtown roads were clear as could be, certainly 10 times better than they were just yesterday when the plows didn't get onto them till about 4-5pm (we were out all day and drove all over the city, I saw the plows when they started doing routes and could see which roads had been cleared downtown).

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    In the blizzard of '77, we had to carry our medium sized black lab outside by carrying it to an area where we shoveled the snow so she could pee. And then carry her back in.
    We lived in a snow fort that month. Well my friends and I. Our parents just stayed inside.

Seriously, it was a monster snow cave built in the frozen 15 foot drifts. I was young enough to think of it as a normal winter.

Better not postpone it, I have tickets!

Pretty sure they'll get to Cleveland and play the game.

The problem is going to be getting back to Indy. Based on the forecasts I'm seeing - I'm not sure that's going to work out for them. Stranded in Cleveland. Ugh.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So am I supposed to feel bad that it's still going to be in the 70's here for next week or so?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    So am I supposed to feel bad that it's still going to be in the 70's here for next week or so?
    Well I'll tell you this - there will be a time when I live out that way, maybe in the next 5 years, and I won't give one s*** about the poor bast***s left behind in this hellscape winter.

Keep in mind I'm kind of a d***. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I was so livid at the candy-*** "let's bail out the Bulls" postponement of the game last year. I worked that day as did plenty of other people. By 5 pm all the downtown roads were clear as could be, certainly 10 times better than they were just yesterday when the plows didn't get onto them till about 4-5pm (we were out all day and drove all over the city, I saw the plows when they started doing routes and could see which roads had been cleared downtown).
    Yesterday morning, you could have thrown every plow you could have out there, and it wouldn't have made a damn lick of good. When I attempted (key word) to make my commute to work, I saw plows drive by. Within 5 minutes, you couldn't tell that a plow had been there at all.

Just one of the factors in me deciding to give up and turn back and work from home.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    77 was the year it never got above 0 for a whole month. It would warm up to there and drop to -22 over night. It was chilly that year. Lots of snow on top of that. brrrr
    It got up to 34deg in Indy that month for a high. The highest low was 24deg.

What you are remembering is the AVERAGE low temp for the month of Jan in 1977 was zero. The lowest low was -19. But one day it only got to -8 for the high.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

I doubt it gets postponed