Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #26
    Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,732

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ReggiesUncle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i dunno about u man but ive been awfully drunk watching plenty of nfl playoffs and dont remember any of them

    its like when u bang a broad when u are drunk and dont remember her name like does it still count as a notch on the ole bed post?

    thats like the nfl, its just another notch in the bed post to them in grand scheme of things


    hey i love analogies lmao...this is dumb
    Are you trying to argue the Pacers-Pelicans game is just as important as an NFL playoff game?

  2. #27
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It's amazing all the ailments that winning cures...

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Naptown
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you trying to argue the Pacers-Pelicans game is just as important as an NFL playoff game?
    not at all im just saying the nfl could have easily put the game on sunday to avoid any issues w the local cities

    a lil goodwill between two professional sports organizations, but no one seems to give a damn about that so whatever

    i was hoping the colts game woulda been blacked out w the pacers game being a sell out, send a lil message. but alas meijer stepped in and bailed the nfl out of a pr fiasco

    carry on, ill be at blf for the tip im sure itll be half full until the horsies get done w their game

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesUncle For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It's not the NFL, I believe NBC specifically chose that game to air on their Saturday time, over Cincy/Chargers. They got to choose 1 AFC game and 1 NFC game and the others air on CBS/Fox on Sunday.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Naptown
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the NFL, I believe NBC specifically chose that game to air on their Saturday time, over Cincy/Chargers. They got to choose 1 AFC game and 1 NFC game and the others air on CBS/Fox on Sunday.
    finally some sense is being made here with actual info

    thanks

  9. #31
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's amazing all the ailments that winning cures...
    The sweet spot is assembling a group of likable winners. Likability only means so much if they lose. Winning only means so much if they don't like them. But likable winners? Then you've really got something. I'd probably rank unlikable winners over likable losers, sure, but neither is better than likable winners.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  11. #32
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I firmly believe that the Colts ticket problems are a direct result of
    A. Crazy high prices that make it pretty much unaffordable for the noise bleed seats when compared to the TV at home.
    B. Families have already spent their entertainment income on Pacer games. Most people plan their sporting events a month out. Last month the Pacers were already rolling, and the Colts looked like a team that was in a downward spiral.
    C. Most fans do not believe this Colts team is a real contender, thus they aren't going to shell out for high priced tickets.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  12. #33
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,088

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sweet spot is assembling a group of likable winners. Likability only means so much if they lose. Winning only means so much if they don't like them. But likable winners? Then you've really got something. I'd probably rank unlikable winners over likable losers, sure, but neither is better than likable winners.
    Obviously agree it's better to have likable winners over just winners, but only for people like us that post on PD. I don't want to bring up some of the dark days of the past, but they were always an excuse. If those guys won ball games there's not many people that would've cared. WE would've cared, but attendance and whatnot would've been fine. The bottom line in any situation is just win games and you'll survive.

  13. #34
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Most teams simply can't keep winning forever. If your players are likeable, fans will stick around during hard times. If they aren't, fans will bail. Reggie retiring had much to do with the attendance slump because no one was left for fans to hang a hat on during the rough period.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  14. #35

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it only took them three years to undo six years of ill-will. Not bad. Pretty impressive actually.

    If Twinkies were filled with razor blades instead of cream filling, people would stop buying them. The Pacers reaped what they sewed from 2004-2010. It was sad to see for those of us who remained interested in the team, but I don't blame casual observers one bit for not wanting to spend their money on that garbage. I understand that not everyone revolves around their lives around the Pacers. There are a lot of people who are willing to pay money for a Pacer product if they feel that it's worth their time, but who don't care so much that they're going to pay to watch Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy lose a lot of games. These were tough economic times and I'm sympathetic to the fact that a lot of people out there didn't want to spend their money on complete and utter crap, which is what the Pacers mostly were from 2004-2010. Heck, several of the diehards on this forum got to a point where they had enough. And these were people who at one point made the Pacers an integral part of their lives. If Ford Tauruses started exploding when the ignition was turned, then people would stop buying them. The same logic applies to the 04-10 Pacers.

    You can't underestimate just how badly the Pacers destroyed their brand from 04-10. The customers went away as they do with any product that is a waste of money. There was a brawl which embarrassed the franchise on a national scale. Then there was the humiliating Artest trade demand, which made the Pacers look like fools for standing by him after the brawl. You had the terrifying off court incidents in Indy: Stephen Jackson firing his heat outside a strip club and Jamaal Tinsley's crew getting shot at outside of the Conrad. It was like the Wild West. We got rid of the bad seeds, but we replaced them with bad/downright boring players who were coached by Jim O'Brien and lost a lot of games. ZZZZZZZ. Meanwhile, the NFL team across the street was hanging a championship banner with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

    For this six year span which included some rough economic times, was this a product worth spending money on for the average Joe Schmo who didn't revolve his life around watching an NBA team? God no. The community found other ways to spend their money and time and I don't blame them one bit for it, just like I don't blame someone for not going to a restaurant with terrible food. The Pacers ruined their brand with terrible decisions over a six year period and reaped the consequences.

    Losing to the Bulls in 5 games in the first round wasn't going to bring people back. The interest clearly began to increase in the 11-12 season, but we didn't have an exciting postseason series win because the only team we eliminated was an Orlando team without Howard. What we needed to bring the public completely back was what we got last year - an ECF trip which included a series win against the Knicks. We were able to play on all of the 90's Knicks memories and everything happened after that against Miami was icing on the cake.
    What a minute...the Colts won the ring in 2001 when the Pacers were already set the bet record in Franchise history so lets not use that excuse. 2) How was the second round vs Miami NOT exciting?? It built a storyline and BLF was PACKED all 3 games! That alone shouldve been enough to spark interest.

  15. #36
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,015

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a minute...the Colts won the ring in 2001 when the Pacers were already set the bet record in Franchise history so lets not use that excuse. 2) How was the second round vs Miami NOT exciting?? It built a storyline and BLF was PACKED all 3 games! That alone shouldve been enough to spark interest.
    Well, this is pretty funny. You might want to tell Peyton that he actually has two rings. They also won in 2006.

    Anyway, back to reality. One run in the playoffs wasn't going to come close to fixing the mess the Pacers made during the JO era. Business people who take clients to sporting events were not going to touch the Pacers with a 10 foot poll during that era. It wasn't good business. Personally, I have been offered to go to Colts games multiple times but vendors never have mentioned the Pacers. That's because the Pacers are simply not as popular. There are only so many fans who will spend big money to go to these games and just because the Colts cannot fill their stadium does NOT mean they are less popular generally as compared to the Pacers. Even today, while I am not a Colts fan, they are still more popular with the masses.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,930

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the weather reports for cold air approaching and a major winter storm on the horizon as a potential factor too. With Colts' playoff tix at extremely high prices how many people wanted to risk buying a ticket they weren't sure if they could use due to weather?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no dog in this fight but even with the Colts being a relatively average team they remain more popular with the masses.
    Don't underestimate how many people are Colts fans because they think they have to be.

    Not many people claim to be Pacers fans without the ability to name more than three players. There are a lot of Colts fans who couldn't name a player on the team right now beyond Luck or Wayne.

    These sorts of "fans" don't really care about the Colts. They just care about having something in common with their friends, families, and coworkers. These people were Pacers fans in the 90s, and they didn't know anyone on the team not named Reggie or Rik. They aren't really bandwagon fans. They are social fans. They have a sense of community with their fellow fans, but in all reality, they don't care a whole lot about their team.

    Trust me, you will start to see a lot of people who are Pacers fans, but only know of Roy and PG. There is nothing wrong with that. They didn't stop being Pacers fans because we lost, they stopped becoming Pacers fans because everyone else stopped and you lost the sense of community with the Pacers.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:


  20. #39

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to the Pacers game tomorrow. I wont bother to watch the ending of the Colts game.
    This happened a few years ago when the Colts/Ravens divisional playoff game happened the same time as the Pacers/(then Hornets) played so I never understood why its a surprise this would happen again but I'm sure they will give updates to fans what the score of the other game is.

  21. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,945

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This happened a few years ago when the Colts/Ravens divisional playoff game happened the same time as the Pacers/(then Hornets) played so I never understood why its a surprise this would happen again but I'm sure they will give updates to fans what the score of the other game is.
    It is still terrible scheduling by the NBA. They know when the NFL playoffs are, and should schedule accordingly so that these situations don't happen.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 01-04-2014 at 01:31 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  23. #41
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is still terrible scheduling by the NBA. They know when the NFL playoffs are, and should schedule accordingly so that these situations don't happen.
    This is Hilarious to me. Your telling us that the NBA should have altered their schedule to account for the fact that 1 out of the 32 teams NFL teams might have a home playoff game the same day? Last time I check the Pacers game was legitimately sold out, its not like nobody is showing up for the NBA game. Its not the freaking SuperBowl dude.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  25. #42
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,192

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Uhm, can you say in 49 states, its just basketball, but this is Indiana?

    darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 2h

    Pacers game tonight is selling for about 20% above face value, colts selling for about 20% under face

    Damn.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  27. #43
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,015

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't underestimate how many people are Colts fans because they think they have to be.

    Not many people claim to be Pacers fans without the ability to name more than three players. There are a lot of Colts fans who couldn't name a player on the team right now beyond Luck or Wayne.

    These sorts of "fans" don't really care about the Colts. They just care about having something in common with their friends, families, and coworkers. These people were Pacers fans in the 90s, and they didn't know anyone on the team not named Reggie or Rik. They aren't really bandwagon fans. They are social fans. They have a sense of community with their fellow fans, but in all reality, they don't care a whole lot about their team.

    Trust me, you will start to see a lot of people who are Pacers fans, but only know of Roy and PG. There is nothing wrong with that. They didn't stop being Pacers fans because we lost, they stopped becoming Pacers fans because everyone else stopped and you lost the sense of community with the Pacers.
    There is some truth to this. But I just have to add that, while there might be a growing stable of Pacer bandwagon fans who only know a few players, you will never see as big a bandwagon as the Colts. When the Reggie era had its run, the Pacers were very popular but not nearly like the Colts even pre-Super Bowl. You didn't see massive numbers of people wearing Pacer jerseys like you do Colts. You didn't see the massive numbers of parties held at people's houses for Pacer games. Heck, my neighbor 3 doors down has a Colts party bus he drives to the games. It's probably one of many such buses. These "Colt" fans don't really want to watch a 7 game series when they can go to a Super Bowl party and get it over with. Yes, you are right. Lots of social fans that barely understand the game of football.

    Also IIRC, there was a Pacer shop at Circle Center mall, but it closed up. The Colts pro shop is still in business. It is what it is. The Colts have been and will probably always be more popular with the masses in Indy.

  28. #44
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,015

    Default Re: DAMN YOU CITIZENS OF INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uhm, can you say in 49 states, its just basketball, but this is Indiana?

    darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 2h

    Pacers game tonight is selling for about 20% above face value, colts selling for about 20% under face

    Damn.
    This all may be true, but Indiana was historically a high school basketball state along with an Indiana Hoosier basketball state especially when Bob Knight arrived. It has never backed the Pacers consistently. If it had, we would have never needed a telethon and had to scrape for fans over the years to fill a stadium a Carmel High School Regional game could fill up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •