Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Pacers Are Exactly What the NBA Needs

Default Why the Pacers Are Exactly What the NBA Needs

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-ind...0371--nba.html

In a Time of Big Threes and Super Teams, Pacers Prove Contenders Can Still Be Built

COMMENTARY | The Indiana Pacers are not your conventional NBA team.

In an age where acquiring a "big three" is considered an accomplishment, the Pacers have assembled a starting five with an incredible chemistry. And, quite honestly, Indiana might just be the best thing to ever happen to the NBA.

The downfall of the association began with LeBron James' departure from Cleveland in favor of Miami. The formation of the first "big three," Miami had managed to keep guard Dwyane Wade and sign both James and forward Chris Bosh.

Then it was the Los Angeles Lakers making their attempts, signing point guard Steve Nash and acquiring center Dwight Howard in an experiment that ended up backfiring on the Lakers. Following Miami and Los Angeles' lead, the Brooklyn Nets took their chance, acquiring forwards Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to complement point guard Derron Williams and guard Joe Johnson.

And after reaching one NBA Finals in 2011 and the winning in both 2012 and 2013, it appeared the NBA was headed into a "market battle." The teams in the smaller markets were going to suffer because of the money and lifestyle, along with supporting cast, that big cities could offer.

Interest in the league seemed to be lacking.

Cue the Indiana Pacers.

Team president Larry Bird has constructed a young team over the last six years that is in serious contention to knock off the defending champions and claim the NBA title for the first time in franchise history.

In a league where flashy offensive is coveted, Indiana is a defensive powerhouse. In a day where players want to follow the money to big-market destinations, Paul George signed a five-year max contract to remain in Indianapolis. And in a time where teams are trying to lure the big name free agents, Indiana has quietly built a contender with skill players.

But don't take my word for it--let the stats speak for themselves. Through 31 games, Indiana ranks first in the league in all of the following categories: points allowed (89.2), opponent field-goal percentage (41.2%), opponent three-point percentage (32.4%), and point differential (+8.9).

But it's not ONLY defense that is getting it done for Indiana. Arguably the most balanced attack in the NBA, the Pacers are winning with almost a different leading scorer every night. That is, however, with the exception of Paul George's seventh-ranked 23.5 points per game.

When looking for your next NBA champion, look no further than Indianapolis. And whether NBA commissioner David Stern and his successor Adam Silver want to admit it or not, the NBA will never reach the level of popularity that the NFL has achieved without providing what the NFL provides--parity.

The Indiana Pacers are threatening to do just that--level the playing field. And it's exactly what the NBA needed.

Unless otherwise indicated, all statistics were courtesy of ESPN.com.

Joe Tacosik is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report and a Yahoo Sports contributor. You can read Joe's writings here, on BleacherReport.com and his freelance writing at JoeTacosik.com
    You can also follow Joe on Twitter (@JoeBobTaco)

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Why the Pacers Are Exactly What the NBA Needs

I would contend that the first big three was in Boston a few years earlier. But nice little article.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Yeah, not much substance to the article.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I like the meaning of the article and agree with the premise but I wonder if his theory that interest in the league had declined since the big 3 in Miami is even remotely true?

Without looking I thought TV ratings have never been higher since this happened and I thought league wide attendance is either at the same or even a little higher?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

#hotsportstakes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the meaning of the article and agree with the premise but I wonder if his theory that interest in the league had declined since the big 3 in Miami is even remotely true?

Without looking I thought TV ratings have never been higher since this happened and I thought league wide attendance is either at the same or even a little higher?

I don't think his theory is the league overall has declined since the big three went to Miami. Although he sort of alouds to that. I think perhaps he is saying for the NBA to take it to the next level in popularity they need parity or they need teams like the pacers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I would contend that the first big three was in Boston a few years earlier. But nice little article.
    The article would have been better stating it as the first player generated big 3.

You would also have to factor in the economy right? The populairty being down could be due to the recession and slow recovery.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not even close to being true. The League became a lot more interesting once LeBron took his talents to South Beach. In fact, I'd argue that it's been one of the best things that's happened to the NBA since the MJ returned from retirement. They even survived a Lockout with hardly any loss of interest from the fans because you can hate or debate Lebron and the Heat during the offseason.

The NBA could benefit from more parity. I'll give him that but it's not like they weren't making Billions of dollars from the Heat Triumvirate. However, the Pacers are also becoming popular because they battle the Miami Heat so well and are a threat to dethrown them.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 01-03-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Well, the Pacers/Heat matches have set lots of viewing records. Are people outside of Indiana tuning in because they love the Pacers? Or because they love to see the Heat get beat?

Parity is a big deal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't think his theory is the league overall has declined since the big three went to Miami. Although he sort of alouds to that. I think perhaps he is saying for the NBA to take it to the next level in popularity they need parity or they need teams like the pacers.
    I think he's trying to say that one team being the only real contender can be boring. I think that's a faulty premise, because La Liga is HUGE among soccer fans worldwide and the only two teams that ever win there is Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You would also have to factor in the economy right? The populairty being down could be due to the recession and slow recovery.
    But that should not impact TV ratings at all

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Parity won't come until you get a hard cap, forcing teams to be more pragmatic and focus on developing talent, and players and coaches start to buy into the team concept. Basically doing what has allowed the Spurs to be a contender for the past decade and a half, and hopefully what will allow the Pacers to be a contender for the next decade-plus.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Cool "Pacer love" notes

Joe Tacosik Writing for Yahoo Sports writes a nice piece of Pacer love that should make us all very proud.

"In an age where acquiring a "big three" is considered an accomplishment, the Pacers have assembled a starting five with an incredible chemistry. And, quite honestly, Indiana might just be the best thing to ever happen to the NBA".

I remember a few years ago when people were saying that we couldn't win with out a superstar.
    I always believed a good deep team that had several solid players could win.
    I also said Defense was the way to go. Because it's more in your control. AND it's under appreciated. So you can get better over all players for your money if you forego trying to buy a big time scorer.

So now after all the planning and work it's falling into place. Wow!
    This is just a wonderful season.
    Last edited by solid; 01-03-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: improve wording of a sentance

Default Re: "Pacer love" notes

Technically the people saying you can't win without a superstar, could still be right, cuz Paul George is a superstar so....

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It does if the upcoming generation can't afford cable or satellite. Ditching the dish and hulu/netflix are allowing people to cut $80 a month. So subscribers might be down in proportion in certain age demographics.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "Pacer love" notes

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Technically the people saying you can't win without a superstar, could still be right, cuz Paul George is a superstar so....
    I think PG could have an average series and if the next six or seven guys play up to their potential then we'd still be unbeatable.

In effect we could start five fairly equal (but very good players), and two or three strong subs - and that could be a great team even - without a superstar.

We do not need anybody to "carry us".

I hope that the guys remember this.
    If someone has an off night or doesn't have the energy to dominate he doesn't have to toss up twenty prayers. Just play your butt off on D and move the ball. We have enough talent that somebody will find something to exploit.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

. . . In an age where acquiring a "big three" is considered an accomplishment, the Pacers have assembled a [big six] with an incredible chemistry. And, quite honestly, Indiana might just be the best thing to ever happen to the NBA.
    fixed

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

One of the things I dearly love about this Pacers team is the fact that on any night, a different player can be a huge reason we win. Hibbs has great nights, West has great nights, Lance and GHill have great nights. PG has almost all great games and now, with DG, DJ and Luis playing very steady ball, we are a surprise waiting to happen to ya!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    I think he's trying to say that one team being the only real contender can be boring. I think that's a faulty premise, because La Liga is HUGE among soccer fans worldwide and the only two teams that ever win there is Real Madrid or Barcelona.
    La Liga isn't in the same position as the NBA. Soccer has many top quality leagues, where there are many top quality teams. There is parity in soccer, they just happen to not compete in the same league. UEFA is a better comparison. The NBA has two teams who have been to the finals 21 and 31 times. The most any team in the UEFA has gotten to the finals of the Champions League is 12, and the NBA is only 8 years older than the Champions League. 36 different teams have made it to the finals in the Champions League.

Really it is a bit of untested territory with La Liga. There isn't a soccer league out there with the talent La Liga has and parity. English Premier League and Serie A aren't much different. It could be if one of those other popular leagues found a way to get a great amount of parity you would see them really start to separate themselves from the other leagues in popularity.

It is also a bit of a chicken or the egg thing, the NFL really is the first league to really have a lot of parity. Don't think for one second that parity isn't a huge reason why the NFL has come to dominate American sports.

You don't think people got rid of cable during the worst economic down turn this generation has seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    La Liga isn't in the same position as the NBA. Soccer has many top quality leagues, where there are many top quality teams. There is parity in soccer, they just happen to not compete in the same league. UEFA is a better comparison. The NBA has two teams who have been to the finals 21 and 31 times. The most any team in the UEFA has gotten to the finals of the Champions League is 12, and the NBA is only 8 years older than the Champions League. 36 different teams have made it to the finals in the Champions League.

Really it is a bit of untested territory with La Liga. There isn't a soccer league out there with the talent La Liga has and parity. English Premier League and Serie A aren't much different. It could be if one of those other popular leagues found a way to get a great amount of parity you would see them really start to separate themselves from the other leagues in popularity.

It is also a bit of a chicken or the egg thing, the NFL really is the first league to really have a lot of parity. Don't think for one second that parity isn't a huge reason why the NFL has come to dominate American sports.
    I would contend that Baseball has developed a decent amount of Parity. More teams have won a WS in the last 15 years than have won an NBA title in the last 30 IIRC

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

David Harrison ‏@DavidHarrison13 1m

Reading a lot about the pacers. Key to any championship is chemistry & this squad has a PHD. All players fit a role & accept it. rare to see
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You know what Pacers the NBA really needed? They really needed CONTINUITY with the 98 team knocking off Jordan, repeating in 99 vs the Spurs and then losing to the Lakers to transition the crown again. This leads better from Mike to Kobe/Duncan and removes the "if Mike was still with the Bulls" kinda dead-stop the NBA ran into. Instead it got a Spurs strike year win, a "finally" token Pacers Finals loss to the Lakers and then the Lakers/Spurs destruction of a weak East for years.

PARITY - POPULARITY
    The NBA was popular at it's LEAST BALANCED - when you had basically 4 teams winning, Boston, Philly, LA and Houston. Then Detroit and Chicago came along with a 2nd round of Houston. That's 20 years of titles and 2 different Golden Eras of popularity - the 80s and the Jordan Era.

F*** parity, that's so overrated in terms of league success. People like to PICK SIDES. People loved rooting for/against the Patriots, just as they once did with the Cowboys/Steelers or just the Raiders in general. Or the Yanks/Dodgers, etc.

The NFL is popular because of fantasy football, gambling, uniforms/teams being bigger than all but a few stars, and a very regulated schedule of games primarily during everyone's weekly free time (Sunday afternoon). If you don't think fantasy/gambling is a factor then just consider the 2nd most popular sporting event right now - it's the NCAA basketball bracket. Not the season, just the tourney. People need some hook to have them invested beyond just following their personal team.

To me the NBA is having the most success in spite of being a poor gambling and poor fantasy sport (odd stats, odd intervals of games). The product is so good (esp TNT's work with it) that it overcomes a ton of obstacles including having a ton of games on weeknights and utterly devoid of things like tailgating or good weather to hang out at a sports park.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    David Harrison ‏@DavidHarrison13 1m

Reading a lot about the pacers. Key to any championship is chemistry & this squad has a PHD. All players fit a role & accept it. rare to see
    I'd give Harrison a 10 day. Not even kidding.