Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indycar Thread

Default Re: 2014 Indycar Thread

Mark Miles on the state of Indycar (this May):
    http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/10...l=&limitstart=

MP: I've seen the same things, but are you also seeing the metrics that support the visuals?

MM: Well, there's the esoteric side of it and there's the data. And the data is excellent. The Grand Prix had a crowd that was above 60,000. I felt that we didn't get a big lift in the attendance for qualifying but I thought that the storylines were excellent. And we've gotten really good feedback about that. I think the crowd will build as people understand it better. The truth is, we probably took a little air out of the market, given so many people showing up on the weekend before. But I was very pleased with qualifying.

Carb Day, I had a bunch of people come and say, "this is the '80s." There was just so much energy and so many people. And then last night, I don't know if you were out here, but the Jason Aldean concert was a sea of people – there were 45,000 people out there. The concert, the only reason not to do it was whether it would be a commercial success. In our minds, no matter whether they're race fans or not, if we can get people out here it helps – and by the way, they were showing Indy 500 promo spots, before, during and after, and Firestone spots up around the stage, [to] 45,000 people.

So one, will it work? Yes, it was an economic success. But the other was, will they clear out? Because there's a lot of work to do to clean up, drop the stage and get 45,000 people out so you can do all the things that you need to do, security things and the like, overnight. They were out of here by 9 o'clock. And we didn't keep the drivers awake. The band shut down way before they were going to bed. And ticket sales in both dollars and units are up for the 500 and I think they're going to surprise themselves today.

On top of all that, the place itself has to be vibrant and headed in the right direction, which I think it is. But that relates to the national television audience. We had five times more people watch IndyCar racing this May here, prior to today, than we did last year. Part of that is because we didn't go back and forth between broadcasters except on Carb Day. ABC has a bigger audience, but they could promote from weekend to weekend to weekend. If you watched "SportsCenter" this week you saw the "500" telecast being promoted. We'll see what happens today, but already the national audience has had the same kind of lift in a sense that we've had here locally.
    Much more at the link...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

There's a lot of positive and forward momentum following Indy. I just hope Detroit doesn't dampen it.
    First and foremost, we don't need to see the track coming apart... a melee at the start(s)... a questionable and gamechanging call from race control, etc...
    A couple of exciting, clean races would be very nice.
    Good weather, a good crowd , and a festive atmosphere for the TV cameras to see would also be nice.

But it's the Detroit circuit so we probably can't have all of that.... Hopefully we can get close. This series could use more forward momentum with less of the 2 steps forward, 1 step back problems of the past. Let alone, 1 step forward, 2 steps back....

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I thought Detroit worked well this week. I also think the ABC coverage has been solid this season so far (for ABC anyway.... wives/GF shots not withstanding). Bestwick brings some energy to the booth but it seems to me there's something else going on. One thing, I think maybe Cheever and Goodyear are actually enjoying the racing... but there just seems to be an uptick in the production overall besides just the commentary. There just seems to be more energy. But then again, maybe it's just a couple of days of good weather and the on track product being good and the various strategies that had to be followed.

------

-John Wooden

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I enjoyed the race today. I'm not sure why, I think it was Briscoll (sp.?), got away with spinning the Japanese driver with no penalty when a couple other guys did get busted. Seemed to be good racing even though the ending, like the Nascar event, was a little anti-climatic.

Why did they move the Houston race from the fall to this month? We might go, but we have a busy month as it is. I may see if i can volunteer, but i have an injured foot which my prevent me from doing so.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I enjoyed the race today. I'm not sure why, I think it was Briscoll (sp.?), got away with spinning the Japanese driver with no penalty when a couple other guys did get busted. Seemed to be good racing even though the ending, like the Nascar event, was a little anti-climatic.

Why did they move the Houston race from the fall to this month? We might go, but we have a busy month as it is. I may see if i can volunteer, but i have an injured foot which my prevent me from doing so.
    It was a 'optimistic' but it really was only light contact, even though it ruined Sato's race at that point. Briscoe just didn't come barreling in. OTOH, Will Power made several clean passes headed to the corner, but they were only available because people were checking up, tip-toeing, finding room, etc to get thru the corner with all the traffic. There was not going to be room for him there once he came barreling in there. He wasn't going to be able to put his car where it needed to be, and under control, once he got to that corner. Had he got to that corner under control he would've been passed back by all the cars he'd passed on his way to the corner because he would've had to check up.

I probably would've called a penalty on Briscoe myself... but I can understand how the two accidents were seen differently by race control. Plus, you can't call a penalty on every contact. You don't want cars wrecking other cars... but you don't want drivers afraid to make a move either and end up with parades with the pole sitter the designated Grand Marshal.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-02-2014 at 10:32 AM.

------

-John Wooden

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This series has a lot going for it right now. There are a lot of talented drivers in it and there has been some entertaining competition lately.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Looks like the Houston race is out this year. My in-laws are coming in from out of town and I'm taking the father-in-law to baseball on Saturday. Hopefully they keep it the same time next year, for i can go volunteer since I teach.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

So who would've guessed by this point in the season there would be a team with multiple wins that wasn't Penske, Ganassi, or Andretti?
    Carpenter's team has two wins (and the 500 pole too for that matter)...

------

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They are for real.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    They are for real.
    Are they spectacular ??

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Are they spectacular ??
    Always...
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mood

Looking forward to going to the Pocono race over the 4th weekend. Never been there before.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Man, Sato got hosed there. Lappers don't have any business racing cars on the lead lap.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

He at least needs to learn the "I thought he had a problem and was slowing down" excuse....
    Dumb, rookie move, made even worse by his comments afterwards. Sato got screwed... and then didn't even get an apology or even any proof that Aleshin(sp?) even understood he was in the wrong.

------

-John Wooden

And then he turns around and gets P2 today. Amazing!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I love racing at Iowa. That **** was wild!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Watching RHR carve up the field there after that last restart was amazing. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like that.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Little bit of everything in Toronto this weekend. Ended up with 2 full races on the same day. Took NBCSN so much by surprise they forgot to push the storyline about how hard it is races 2 days in one weekend in as far as recovery time for drivers and blistering.

I mean, they make such a big deal about that on these 2 day race weekends it was awfully funny to not really hear any of that with 2 races only a few hours apart.

TK seems to have it figured out as does Gannassi.

Way to go Ed Carpenter Racing. One place the 'little' teams have improved is pit stops. Used to be no matter what they did on the track they'd give it away in the pits way too often. Let alone make questionable pit strategy calls on too often of a regular basis. But now their times and strategy are spot on. And they have to be.

I hope Helio can finally get his championship. But the competition is fierce. It seems like it can all change in a corner. Nobody can grab the points lead and check out it seems.

Lucky Russian....

Montoya surely has his swagger back.

Pagenaud is impressive.

------

-John Wooden

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Wayne shows up to Colts camp in an Indycar....

------

-John Wooden

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Is this the lowest BY400 attendance yet? I know last year was bad, but this year (via TV) looks every bit as bad if not worse.

------

-John Wooden

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is this the lowest BY400 attendance yet? I know last year was bad, but this year (via TV) looks every bit as bad if not worse.
    The Brickyard is just not a great race. We all know the track isn't that great for stock car racing, the weather is never as good, and local people with limited disposable income, if they're going to go to Indy or the Brickyard, will chose Indy in most cases. Plus the Brickyard is never going to attract significant numbers of people from outside Indy to go to the race like the 500 does. After seeing the novelty of the NASCAR stars on the track once there's no real reason to go back because the race is boring, while the Indy 500 is action packed almost every year, which will bring people from all over the country and in some cases the world year after year.

Plus the NASCAR fan base is made up in large part of people who work blue collar jobs that have been devastated by the Great Recession. I have never been much of a NASCAR fan but it is said to see how the sport has suffered.
    Last edited by idioteque; 07-27-2014 at 03:42 PM.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

When you are on the forums there is a lot of (local) negativity towards Nascar at IMS.

I sense there is more going on than economics.

And looking at some of the past BY400's the crowd was still significant into the 2000's so surely any significance of the novelty effect should've worn off by then I'd think. Clearly the Goodyear fiasco of a few years back hurt but was it really that fragile that something like that could hurt the event this badly? Or that combined with the economy?

Strangely, the drivers and teams still seemed to be mega-hyped by running and winning at the BY but it sure doesn't look like that feeling is shared by the fans. If it was I think it would trump the problems associated with the economic effect.

That said, maybe if tickets were 1/2 price it would help significantly.

Not sure why the return of the apron didn't happen as originally planned for this year's race since it was thought it would help the racing. You'd think if one of the complaints about the BY could be helped then that would be addressed immediately at this point. Of course if boring races were really a total crowd killer then nobody would be showing up at about any Nascar track....

------

-John Wooden

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

One place the 'little' teams have improved is pit stops. Used to be no matter what they did on the track they'd give it away in the pits way too often. Let alone make questionable pit strategy calls on too often of a regular basis. But now their times and strategy are spot on. And they have to be.
    Man, I thought about this post when Newgarden made that fateful pitstop. Of all the times to have a botched pitstop. Apparently, the call to come in was made late in the lap which left the crew scrambling. Which led to the error with the airhose that Newgarden had no way to avoid and also tripped a crewman. Simply inexcusable. The crew should ALWAYS be ready for a pitstop call IMO because you never know when an accident or circumstances/opportunity might present themselves. OTOH, if you know the crew isn't necessarily up to the task of a late call then you have to temper that somewhat.. especially when you have a margin of error in your back pocket like SFHR did yesterday.

I can't fault Newgarden at all and I KNOW if I was in his shoes yesterday NOBODY should put a mic or camera in my face. Kudos to him for keeping his cool. I was really rooting for the kid yesterday and wouldn't have blamed him for a meltdown. He deserves a win. The stars seemed to be aligned yesterday and then one of those mistakes that shouldn't happen, happened. Incredible.

------

-John Wooden

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A friend of mine that was there in the pits said that the SFHR screw up was just the tip of the iceberg. He said it was a big CF all up and down the pit lane most of the weekend. The pits at Mid Ohio are unique in the fact that the space behind the wall is quite tight and that can cause some severe congestion problems with tire storage, fuel rigs, war wagons and so forth. Especially when you are a support class trying to get your crap out while they're trying to get their crap in.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post: