Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indycar Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 Indycar Thread

I'll be there too in Turn 4. This will be 17 straight for me. Looks like we're going to have perfect weather. This will be the seventh straight year of no rain.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be there too in Turn 4. This will be 17 straight for me. Looks like we're going to have perfect weather. This will be the seventh straight year of no rain.
    17 straight, that's impressive. I've only missed it twice since I was 10. I was studying abroad for one, and the other, I got an opportunity to sit in a suite (for free!!) during the Kentucky Derby, but was in my first job out of college at the time and didn't have the cash to fork over for both flights. Sucked missing the race, but the Derby was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity I couldn't pass up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

No idea how many straight this makes for me... Paddock Penthouse....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Kudos to Verizon as title sponsor of Indycar. Obviously, Izod was winding down in the past couple of years and just riding out the contract. But even when Izod was 'trying' they never really gained the synergy that Verizon already has. Verizon is successfully supporting and promoting the sport, as well as promoting themselves, all the while creating a great synergy between to the two brands. I'd forgotten what good title sponsorship looked like. This is it.

I'm not even sure the cross promotion of Indycar and Izod ever really had much chance anyway. If it did, nobody ever figured out how to really do it for either's benefit.

But Verizon OTOH IMHO, gets it. Even if you hate racing and never want to watch a race the Verizon ads are still effective branding for Verizon. Meanwhile, they are great at creating interest in Indycar for anyone who might have a smidge of interest and sees these ads. I also think they are energizing the existing fanbase as well. I think Verizon will help bring some eyeballs (and money) into Indycar. It's up to Indycar not to drop the ball now and run with it. They can't say Verizon's not doing their part.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    17 straight, that's impressive. I've only missed it twice since I was 10. I was studying abroad for one, and the other, I got an opportunity to sit in a suite (for free!!) during the Kentucky Derby, but was in my first job out of college at the time and didn't have the cash to fork over for both flights. Sucked missing the race, but the Derby was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity I couldn't pass up.
    Yeah, that's an opportunity that you couldn't pass up. I grew up a stone's throw from Louisville at the very bottom of Southern Indiana, but I've never been to the Derby, which is pretty inexcusable. I have to get there soon. I've been to Churchill during the summer a few times and it's a very cool place.

It's incredible that these two world renowned sporting events are located just 100 miles from each other.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I think that was one for the ages. One hell of a race.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

It was a great day at 16th and Georgetown. Driving in, I could immediately tell that the crowd was heavier than the last couple of years. This was verified when I got to my seats high in the 4th turn. In previous years, the best way to gauge the crowd is to look at the seats along the 3rd turn. When attendance isn't great, these seats are the most empty. But I saw far less aluminum there than I have in recent years. As you got into the 4th turn there was hardly any aluminum at all. IMS and the series had to be THRILLED at the attendance yesterday. I think that the aggressive marketing this year paid off big time.

This was yet another year where the quality of driving was very high. These last few races have barely had any yellows. Once again we had a thrilling finish with exciting passing. If that doesn't bring back people to the sport, then I don't know what will. Congrats to RHR.

Sucks for Carpenter that his day ended like that. I understand why he was emotional.

I'm guilty of being one of the many people who loves and attends Indy every year, but doesn't pay much attention to any of the other races. I need to start watching other races.

Bball, I'm waiting for your recap. Always enjoy reading that every year.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

BTW, I watched the delayed airing of the race last night. Overall the coverage was good and did a solid job of hyping up the event, but the split screens to show Helio's GF and RHR's wife down the stretch were AWFUL and extremely overdone. Yeah, we get it, they are nervous and and anxiously have their hands over their mouths. Not very exciting to watch. I don't need to see multiple shots of them during the crucial final few laps, including a long shot of Helio's GF during the second to last lap and then spending HALF OF THE FINAL LAP showing RHR's wife. Absolutely inexcusable overdone corniness. When it's the last lap of the Indy 500, I don't want the freaking race making up only a tiny fraction of my TV screen just so you can show some boring shot of a wife. I hope to God that someone was in ABC's ear about this because it was awful.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pass That was Almost in The Grass deserves a spot in Indy lore.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The Pass That was Almost in The Grass deserves a spot in Indy lore.
    I shouted it out loud "He gonna pass him in the ****ing grass!"
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Also worth noting, I fired up the traffic cameras on Race Day morning while I was working. I don't think I've seen the backups on the interstate that long in 20 years.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I thought the race was fantastic. The empty aluminum still bugs me though, especially along the inside front stretch (Tower Terrace). Those seats aren't that bad so I don't know what the problem is. Overpriced comes to mind. You look at the spectator mounds just jam-packed with people and I have to wonder about making some of the bleacher seats that continually go unsold general admission or general admission prices. Maybe they are actually 'sold' and are going unused by by corporations or in the hands of scalpers that can't resell them. Even much of the "Thank You Jim" area in the stands went unused. That's just unacceptable. In fact, I think those seats might've been less filled than last year. They need to figure out something to get some butts in those seats.

I see IMS has removed some bleachers from some stands. On TV it's still obvious those are 'seats' that couldn't be sold so they just removed the aluminum. I don't know why they don't paint those areas with IMS logos or sell some ads so they 'read' differently on television versus as empty seats.

Clearly there's been some renewed buzz at IMS. The empty aluminum is creating a perception that the crowd is REALLY, REALLY down. Yeah, it is down.... but then look at those packed spectator mounds. There are plenty of butts to fill the aluminum but a lot of people are choosing the viewing mounds instead. I don't really have an answer here but I think if those seats started filling, even if at the expense of the viewing mounds less full, there would be a a benefit to moving the needle on the "Indy is back" drumbeat because of what the TV cameras would be showing.

But I digress...
    We had no problems entering the gate and it didn't have to get creative to do it. It appeared that IMS figured out the problems they had last year. OTOH, we left 30 mins early for the track for a little more buffer figuring there could be more traffic this year. I haven't heard any complaints about long lines even though there was clearly a good crowd this year.

I thought it was fantastic that Jim Nabors got to say "Gentleman, Start Your Engines" along with Mari... (It was also a nice touch tonight hearing the drivers at the Banquet tell Jim how much hearing him sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" means as they are strapping in their cars before the race).

Also, Jim did mention this evening he'd like to maybe return to sing it for the 100th running if he's able.

But I digress again...

Nearly 3/4 of the race ran before there was a caution? I think that speaks to the quality of the field. But even with that long stretch of green, there wasn't anyone just checking out.

And what has happened to Jacques Villeneuve? Not really competitive all month long, yet anytime there was a camera around he was nothing but humble and respectful. Even at the banquet, he was extremely respectful... and dare I say it.... classy even!

I was really rooting for Helio. I liked the throwback paint scheme and I have seen him win his first 3 in person so I'd like to be able to say I saw a 4 time winner win all 4 in person. But take nothing away from him or RHR. They dueled in a battle for the ages. Leaving the track I was trying to find a photo of the finish and one thing I quickly noticed in the news accounts of the race was phrases like RHR won a "fantastic race", "exciting race", "tremendous race" etc.... That told me the press took notice.

And it didn't hurt for race control to call that red flag to give fans a chance to see a green flag finish as well as let the drivers settle it on the track. And it really hurt nothing as far as tradition goes (IMHO). It's not like it was a gimmick 'Green White Checkered' finish adding laps onto the race (I'm looking at you NASCAR).

Speaking of Race Control... Did anyone hear this exchange on the scanner? Will Power got the black flag for pit lane speeding (pit lane violation, I think it was speeding anyway). Then as I see him come into the pits I heard on the scanner "...black flag rescinded"?? Is that the terminology they use now when a car serves their penalty (essentially saying the black flag is now cleared)? ...Was it referring to someone else's black flag? Or did they really 'rescind' Power's black flag but not before he was already on pit lane? Gotta admit, that confused me. And speaking of that... I wish there was a different penalty for pit lane speeding. It just seems like it's never an egregious case of speeding and almost always an accident so little gained by it and not enough of an issue to be a safety issue. But the drivethru penalty pretty much kills your race. I don't know what an alternative penalty might be though.

I watched the race last night on television and never heard it addressed. Bestwick certainly adds to ABC's coverage. I still don't have a lot to say about Goodyear and Cheever. I always thought Cheever would be a fine addition to the booth after his racing career. I was wrong. Of course ABC can't resist the shots of the wives and/or GF's during the closing moments of the race. Leave that stuff for the yellow flags or the pre-race show. And apparently a tiny 'picture in picture' is not an option for it. Instead we have to have a 16x9 background and then 2 sep screens on that background. I also thought the pre-race show was well done. Well, right up until Zombie Newgarden. If you saw the show you'll know what I mean....That was just weird...

Oh, and the invocation was certainly a little more upbeat this year! Amen? Amen!

Ok back to the race.... Is it just me or is RHR just not as popular as he should be? I know Cheever called him Captain America... and meant it as a compliment. But the fans and general public talk about the lack of an American driver they can root for and here is a guy, with an all American sounding name, driving for a competitive team, getting good results and even with the championship a couple of years ago, always up front, seems classy in interviews. ...yet I don't get the vibe he's got the support of the racing public like he should.

Maybe this 500 win will change that? Maybe IMS and Indycar can capitalize on having an American contender in the series? They sure didn't do it after his championship. But then an Indy500 win is several rungs higher at moving the needle in the sporting media. Sure there's Marco, Graham, and Josef that we hear about some (especially Marco and Graham) but RHR's the one actually getting results.

Part of me wonders if this is a little residual hangover from Andretti buying him into the 500 on Foyt's team a few years ago when he was bumped. But it took 3 to Tango on that (Andretti, Foyt, and RHR) and I'm not sure the general public really even understood all of that anyway.

It probably doesn't hurt with casual viewers that Penske or Ganassi didn't win. Nor that Ed Carpenter was in contention until Hinch got "optimistic" (I'm quoting Townsend Bell)

Thoroughly enjoyable race. Lots of action. An exciting finish. An American winner. Perfect weather. Good broadcast. Verizon is being an excellent title sponsor. Not sure what more the sport could ask for in hoping to move the needle.

Jim Nabors:

Rahal wheels his ailing car out of the pits:

Dixon finds the wall:

Jacques getting pit service:

TK's bad luck returns:

Oriel Servia... Flat black?

Rookie of the Year Kurt Busch:

In any other year this kid would've been Rookie of the Year (Sage Karam):

Had to feel bad for Ed Carpenter. I would've like to have seen him in the mix at the end.

Late pitstop for the contenders:

Helio after finishing 2nd:

2014 Indy 500 winner RHR:

Would the last person out of the track please turn off the lights?
    Last edited by Bball; 05-27-2014 at 02:21 AM.

------

-John Wooden

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Ok back to the race.... Is it just me or is RHR just not as popular as he should be? I know Cheever called him Captain America... and meant it as a compliment. But the fans and general public talk about the lack of an American driver they can root for and here is a guy, with an all American sounding name, driving for a competitive team, getting good results and even with the championship a couple of years ago, always up front, seems classy in interviews. ...yet I don't get the vibe he's got the support of the racing public like he should.

Maybe this 500 win will change that? Maybe IMS and Indycar can capitalize on having an American contender in the series? They sure didn't do it after his championship. But then an Indy500 win is several rungs higher at moving the needle in the sporting media. Sure there's Marco, Graham, and Josef that we hear about some (especially Marco and Graham) but RHR's the one actually getting results.
    Just give it a little time and make sure that the Pass That Was Almost in The Grass (and I'm trademarking that ****!) enters Indy lore with the IMS Radio Call of Mark Jaynes going nuts over it.........

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Just give it a little time and make sure that the Pass That Was Almost in The Grass (and I'm trademarking that ****!) enters Indy lore with the IMS Radio Call of Mark Jaynes going nuts over it.........
    Oh I have no doubt that before the decade is out that pass will be IN the grass, 4 wheels even, when people retell the story of this race.

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Decade? Try before the end of the Detroit doubleheader.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The radio coverage was really awful this year. Am I that much of a neanderthal that I still try to keep a race chart and keep track of more than just who is in the lead and what is going on between the top drivers? I like tracking who is moving up through the pack, who is dropping, when the pit stops affect groups of cars, and so forth. In past years, they've given the complete rundowns every 20-30 laps but left out the car numbers, which made it very hard to keep up. This year they NEVER did a complete rundown. The closest is that ONCE they took it down to about 14th position.

For those of us in Central Indiana who don't go to the race, the radio has been our link to the tradition and the activity in the race itself. When I heard Paul Page was coming back I was excited because I thought it was an acknowledgement that the radio was trying to get back to being a unique experience rather than just an adjunct to TV or the internet. I was disappointed to find it was not the case.

I seriously wish I knew who to contact to get this point across.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

That was a great race, and RHR is definitely a worthy champion.

I'm still shocked (and amazed) how far they were able to go without a yellow.

Last year I waited an hour in line to get into the race, this year about 30 seconds. Funny thing was the guy didn't check my ticket at all, I could have brought in an Indy ticket from years ago and he most likely would have let me in.

Such an enjoyable race this year, the quality of driving was off the charts good and got to see a lot of passing from my seat at the end of the straightaway. The Carpenter wreck developed right in front of me, I saw it coming the whole time. Just not enough real estate on the track to bail him out.

My relatives were kind of irritated, as were some other people around them, that there was a vocal minority of people in our section trying to get people to sit down during the last 20 laps or so so they could see. Thought there was going to be a war between race fans who are accustomed to standing up and those who see the race as a spectacle and maybe didn't understand that lots of people like to stand up to watch the last part of the race.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

I'm still shocked (and amazed) how far they were able to go without a yellow.
    I was just getting ready to tweet that out literally when Kimball crashed. That's the second time he's played a role in screwing up a good thing at Indy now by my count.....

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The radio coverage was really awful this year. Am I that much of a neanderthal that I still try to keep a race chart and keep track of more than just who is in the lead and what is going on between the top drivers? I like tracking who is moving up through the pack, who is dropping, when the pit stops affect groups of cars, and so forth. In past years, they've given the complete rundowns every 20-30 laps but left out the car numbers, which made it very hard to keep up. This year they NEVER did a complete rundown. The closest is that ONCE they took it down to about 14th position.

For those of us in Central Indiana who don't go to the race, the radio has been our link to the tradition and the activity in the race itself. When I heard Paul Page was coming back I was excited because I thought it was an acknowledgement that the radio was trying to get back to being a unique experience rather than just an adjunct to TV or the internet. I was disappointed to find it was not the case.

I seriously wish I knew who to contact to get this point across.
    The only email contacts I could find for the Media section of the IMS Radio Network is J. Douglas Boles, dboles@brickyard.com and Tom Surber, tsurber@brickyard.com. One of them can probably put you in touch with the right person.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I thought the race was fantastic. The empty aluminum still bugs me though, especially along the inside front stretch (Tower Terrace). Those seats aren't that bad so I don't know what the problem is. Overpriced comes to mind. You look at the spectator mounds just jam-packed with people and I have to wonder about making some of the bleacher seats that continually go unsold general admission or general admission prices. Maybe they are actually 'sold' and are going unused by by corporations or in the hands of scalpers that can't resell them. Even much of the "Thank You Jim" area in the stands went unused. That's just unacceptable. In fact, I think those seats might've been less filled than last year. They need to figure out something to get some butts in those seats.

I see IMS has removed some bleachers from some stands. On TV it's still obvious those are 'seats' that couldn't be sold so they just removed the aluminum. I don't know why they don't paint those areas with IMS logos or sell some ads so they 'read' differently on television versus as empty seats.

Clearly there's been some renewed buzz at IMS. The empty aluminum is creating a perception that the crowd is REALLY, REALLY down. Yeah, it is down.... but then look at those packed spectator mounds. There are plenty of butts to fill the aluminum but a lot of people are choosing the viewing mounds instead. I don't really have an answer here but I think if those seats started filling, even if at the expense of the viewing mounds less full, there would be a a benefit to moving the needle on the "Indy is back" drumbeat because of what the TV cameras would be showing.
    The low seats on the tower terrace are pretty bad because of all the pit equipment, war wagons/observer stands and refueling rigs. You can't see pit road at all and used to be able to see the track ok. They used to be pretty full and then empty out after the start while people roamed. They might experiment with putting a few of the infield bleachers back. I used to love those seats inside the turns.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    The only email contacts I could find for the Media section of the IMS Radio Network is J. Douglas Boles, dboles@brickyard.com and Tom Surber, tsurber@brickyard.com. One of them can probably put you in touch with the right person.
    Sent. Thanks!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Got a great response from them - turns out the guy who is GM of the IMS Radio Network graduated a few years ahead of me in high school.
    BillS

42. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Now if you can just get in touch with whoever runs ABC's coverage of the race and tell them to do away with showing the ridiculous girlfriend/wife split screens on the FINAL LAPS of the race, including half of the final lap itself.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Now if you can just get in touch with whoever runs ABC's coverage of the race and tell them to do away with showing the ridiculous girlfriend/wife split screens on the FINAL LAPS of the race, including half of the final lap itself.
    Heh. If I was still out of town I'd do that. Now, though, I could give a rats about the TV coverage
    BillS