Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indycar Thread

Default 2014 Indycar Thread

It's time for a 2014 Indycar thread...

Of course, right now (cue Beatles)....
    We got no races and it's breaking our heart
    But we got a thread and that's a start!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2014 Indycar Thread

Still not sounding good-
    SI.com) -- According to the U.K.'s Mirror and Germany's Bild newspaper, Formula One legend Michael Schumacher suffered his catastrophic head injury while trying to keep an eye on some family friends' kids while skiing in the French Alps. The seven-time champion's accident occurred in an area between groomed slopes at the Meribel resort.
    The Bild report states: "Suddenly the daughter (of a friend) of a friend crashed. Schumi helps the girl, leaving the groomed area and moves about 20 metres in the deep snow between the slopes Biche and Mauduit.
    "Both sides of the groomed slopes are marked with flags. Has Schumacher not seen the instructions? Unclear.
    "What is certain is that between 10.50am and 11am -- around a quarter of an hour earlier than previously thought -- misfortune struck. Schumi, also wearing upper body protectors in addition to his helmet, hits a rock covered by the snow."
    Schumacher, who was an expert skiier, is still in a critical, hour-to-hour condition. Doctors have placed him in a medically-induced coma to help his brain heal after two surgeries to reduce swelling caused by striking his head on the rock with enough force to crack his helmet.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rac...#ixzz2pJD6i3HJ

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Apparently someone is not just "Throwing Copper" and is throwing some bigger coins around (Surprising sponsor for Hinch):
    http://www.racer.com/andretti-autosp...rticle/329152/

------

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...-in-june-2014/

Looks like they will run a bit of everything.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

"But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

So Jacque is returning to the Indy 500 after a nearly 20 year absence.... Hmmmm...

------

-John Wooden

yep. Not sure how I really feel about it. First reaction was WooHoo, but after I looked at it, it's a one off deal so it kind of smacks of desperation. Like he's the only one who could bring some sponsor cash. But, if he and JPM can show decently, it won't suck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...y-500/6159573/

Thoughts on the new qualifying format? At the very least, it should make for really, really compelling TV on Sunday.

Not really sure about it...
    I don't see how many attempts you're allowed on Saturday. I hope it's more than one (it does say 1 is guaranteed so that implies you're allowed more than 1) but not sure I want to see endless attempts allowed either.

I wish they would've added an hour onto the day to make up for the shadows that DST took away from happy hour. Instead it looks like they took 10 mins away. I ASSUME that is to give TV 10 mins to do a wrap on what just occurred, plus get that last qualifying attempt in before the end of the hour instead of just starting under the gun, versus having to go past 6PM and then get off the air to the next program ASAP and JIP it. Of course TV could've just scheduled coverage to 6:30 and that would've avoided that too....

Not sure I like the idea IF you HAVE to requalify on Sunday versus can CHOOSE to requalify. I understand moving the fast 9 to Sunday but I think positions 10-33 should have the option of standing on their times versus being forced to requalify. That might take away from the drama TV is hoping to manufacture but Saturday almost seems like a waste for anyone to go see live. Theoretically, I guess there could be bumping Saturday... and you could have shuffling for the fast 9... So that would be good. But that goes back to the number of attempts cars will be allowed. Of course if they did it that way who would risk their guaranteed spot versus a Sunday run to try and improve? Unless they opted for a a Fast 12 format maybe and had 3 at large spots open for the 3 fastest qualifiers on Sunday to join the fast 9 for pole qualifying.

One thing looks certain and that is you get only 1 attempt for the pole (in the heat of the afternoon even!). If we're manufacturing drama why not give them 3 shots at it if they withdraw their current fast time? So do you give up your front row spot to make a 2nd run at the pole or just live with it? Then again, I imagine the drivers probably said "If we're gonna do this... let's just do it once. Too much risk and pressure"

Of course what they could do is adjust the rules so that there actually is real bumpling... 45 cars for 33 spots versus 34 cars for 33 spots.... and real drama about speed and technology... drivers with a helmet and no ride but actually available seats would help interest too.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-08-2014 at 05:00 PM.

------

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now why would anyone go on Saturday unless there are actually more entrants than positions?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now why would anyone go on Saturday unless there are actually more entrants than positions?
    It's a lot easier to drink on Saturday.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It's a lot easier to drink on Saturday.
    Speedway serves beer on Sunday...

------

-John Wooden

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Speedway serves beer on Sunday...
    Right, but most people have to go to work on Monday.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

This is the final year for Jim Nabors at Indy:
    http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/...earance-in-May

------

-John Wooden

Good job by the Penske crew today.

Very good opening race.

I'd be surprised if Penske doesn't have a good year. I don't think seeing Ganassi win that championship made him complacent...

------

-John Wooden

Then again... Penske is always going to have a good year.... It's only a question of how good...

------

-John Wooden

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That restart was a disaster. I really like Will Power, but watching it live, I thought he should have definitely been black flagged. But on the replay, the way they had the acceleration zones set up, I don't think he technically did anything wrong.

Still sucks for Marco and the British rookie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    That restart was a disaster. I really like Will Power, but watching it live, I thought he should have definitely been black flagged. But on the replay, the way they had the acceleration zones set up, I don't think he technically did anything wrong.

Still sucks for Marco and the British rookie though.
    I think clusterf**k was the best way to describe that.

Supposedly Will Power didn't slow and maintained pace car speed until the acceleration zone. Or so Indycar says.

I know I saw some grumbling that said the green flag flew before Will Power reached the acceleration zone. So when the green flag flew the drivers heard "Green Green Green"
    on their radios and in the back they started going on the flag/radio call from their teams. But meanwhile Will Power waited until he was in the acceleration zone. Soooo... I don't know but clearly something needs tweaked.

The green flag should mean "GO" regardless of any track markings. And green for the leader should be green for the field. IMHO

------

-John Wooden

The "Green, green, green" call the responsibility of whoever on the pit box is in charge of making that call. Most often, it's the guy who's monitoring race control. Either the strategist or head engineer. The restart procedure is briefed in the driver's meeting so they tell you wait for race control or watch the flagman. (I almost cost us a race at Lime Rock by watching the flagman instead of listening to race control. There was a spin in the last corner and he reached for the yellow, but race control never called it. I jumped the gun when I saw him grab the yellow, but fortunately the driver didn't slow enough to lose position.) Another fun factoid, the over the wall guys are on a dedicated channel except for the crew chief who will at least monitor the main internal team channel so the engineers can relay information to him as far as what they want on the car.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Crazy race. I'm happy Carpenter Racing got the win. That wreck was crazy. Bad decisions by a lot of people. Dixon messed up with his fuel.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

RHR after the monsoon. What a circus. You have to go to the slicks, but everybody hates to that early.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post: