Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears signed Jay Cutler to 7 year contract

Default Bears signed Jay Cutler to 7 year contract

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...year-contract/

Bears sign Jay Cutler to seven-year contract

Jay Cutler is locked in as the Bears’ franchise quarterback.

The Bears announced today that Cutler, whose previous contract expired at the end of this season, will not be testing free agency. Instead, Cutler has signed a seven-year contract, keeping him in place with the Bears through the 2020 season.

There’s a very good chance that the 30-year-old Cutler will remain with the Bears for the rest of his career.

Although there was some talk that Cutler could end up leaving in free agency, he and new coach Marc Trestman appeared to mesh this season, and Trestman never wavered on his belief that Cutler is the right man to run his offense, even as backup Josh McCown put up better statistics when he filled in after Cutler got hurt.

In announcing the new contract, Bears General Manager Phil Emery called Cutler “a demonstrated winner” and said 2013 was his best season because of his “leadership, his improvement, his display of toughness.”

Now the Bears are counting on Cutler to remain the leader of their team for years to come.

Default Re: Bears signed Jay Cutler to 7 year contract

Boy is that a mistake. He's just not that good
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cutler a proven winner? When did that happen?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Bears fans ........ your QB for the next 7 years. Enjoy.

http://www.chicitysports.com/wp-cont...dle-finger.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Not a Cutler fan but without seeing the numbers and how much of the agreement was bonus/guaranteed money it is hard for me to to criticize too much at this point.

Suffice it to say that if Cutler underperforms too early & too often he will get cut well ahead of the 7-year contract term. It would end up being more a question of dead money cap impact than cost as that money will likely have already been paid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's kind of like the situation with Romo. Yeah he's not a premium QB, but who is your long term option going to be if you don't keep him?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Not worth that much

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's kind of like the situation with Romo. Yeah he's not a premium QB, but who is your long term option going to be if you don't keep him?
    That's a great point. I do wonder how loud the critics would be if the backup QB had stunk out the joint, like Caleb Hanie or Jason Campbell did. Josh McCown made this an argument with his brilliant play.

The other alternative was to keep McCown for a couple of years and draft a quarterback. But the Bears defense was such a trainwreck that I'd hate to see the Bears use a first or second rounder to draft a quarterback. This allows them to go straight defense in the draft, which is what they desperately need.

That said, I don't think Cutler can ever quarterback a team to a Super Bowl. The Bears offense has everything but an elite QB.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    That's a great point. I do wonder how loud the critics would be if the backup QB had stunk out the joint, like Caleb Hanie or Jason Campbell did. Josh McCown made this an argument with his brilliant play.

The other alternative was to keep McCown for a couple of years and draft a quarterback. But the Bears defense was such a trainwreck that I'd hate to see the Bears use a first or second rounder to draft a quarterback. This allows them to go straight defense in the draft, which is what they desperately need.

That said, I don't think Cutler can ever quarterback a team to a Super Bowl. The Bears offense has everything but an elite QB.

Cutler certainly won't ever be the type of QB who can put the team on his back and take them to a Super Bowl. But I certainly don't think he's any worse than Joe Flacco. Flacco was fortunate to have a great team around him that all came together and the perfect moment. He also deserves plenty of credit himself for outplaying Brady and Manning in the playoffs. I think that Cutler is definitely good enough to quarterback an elite team on a deep playoff run. The Bears did get to an NFC Title game with him. There is obviously work to do in Chicago on the defensive side of the ball and I certainly wouldn't pencil them into a Super Bowl anytime soon, but Cutler at least gives them a chance on the offensive side if healthy.

Just kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't thing. There is so much talent on the offensive side of the ball in Chicago that you don't really want to waste it with some rookie who won't be one of the top prospects. McCown was great, but he is also kind of old. I understand why the Bears did this.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Looks like the guaranteed money may be just over 50 MIL. Closer to 40 it would make some sense but at that price the "franchise tag & wait a year" option might have more appropriate.

Mood

The league has changed since Dilfer and Brad Johnson won the Super Bowl. Until I see it happen again, I won't believe that anything other than a good QB can win a Super Bowl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    The league has changed since Dilfer and Brad Johnson won the Super Bowl. Until I see it happen again, I won't believe that anything other than a good QB can win a Super Bowl.
    Didnt everyone (myself included) say the same thing back then?

Regardless, I think it is a silly contract, but only because of how long it is.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    If flacco can win a SB, so can Cutler

GREAT signing! LOVE it! ABSOLUTELY the right call for the Bears!

#GoPackGo.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Not a bad signing, but not really a great one, either.

It's not like they had a choice, though. McCown is like 35.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I agree the Bears were basically damned if you do damned if you don't. No, Cutler isn't going to be like Manning/Brady/Brees and carry the team to the Super Bowl. But what could Chicago do? Let him walk? And then what? Keep McCown and draft a qb and hope for the best? Eh.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yeah, and they don't have time for all of that stuff.

Their playmakers aren't getting any younger, and having McCown for a few years, then drafting a QB, which you don't even know is going to pan out, is just going to potentially waste more time.

I don't really follow the Bears, but even though they've screwed up making the playoffs the past few years, I don't think they are ready to be re-building the whole team in 2-3 years, they want to win as much as they can with Cutler at QB. Don't want to waste time on a QB from the draft in a few years.

You take what you have in Cutler right now and see how far you can go with him. Fix up the defense, see what happens.

At least in Cutler you know you have a solid QB as long as he's healthy. He'll give you some Manning/Brady like performances and then sometimes he'll look average, which is OK. They just need to get as complete of a team that they can, and that way they can survive if Cutler has a lot of "average" days.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

From what I have heard most of the guaranteed money is in the first three years so that will help them get out of the contract if Cutler does not work out. With Marshall, Forte and Jeffery as your core players you are kind of a win now mode. Cutler is a better QB in McCown and they were never going to win anything with McCown. Better to roll the dice with a healthy Cutler over these next three years than know you will be looking for a new QB and resetting things with McCown.

Bottom line this is a QB driven league and if you do not have good QB you are not winning squat in this game. McCown can be ok for most of career he is nothing special. They were basically forced into this because of the direction the league has taken over the past few years.

@

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

Why not draft a QB and sign a good defensive player or two with the Cutler money instead?

I will say I think Cutler can be the QB of a superbowl team, like Joe Flacco, but they need to fix that defense

" DOOON'T CAAAARREE"
    - Jay Cutler

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I don't have an issue with it. Who better is out there and as was said, the very good players around him are not getting any younger. Besides, if the defense does not make two huge mistakes the 49ers are in Chicago this weekend and Green Bay is ice fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I don't have an issue with it. Who better is out there and as was said, the very good players around him are not getting any younger. Besides, if the defense does not make two huge mistakes the 49ers are in Chicago this weekend and Green Bay is ice fishing!
    They had to re-sign him, but at about 18 million per year? Way too much

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    They had to re-sign him, but at about 18 million per year? Way too much
    The going rate at the moment even for non elite QBs. It only takes one of those to make the start and then the same pattern follows with other ones too.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post: