Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last season, was anyone expecting the Colts to be good? No, but we still sold out our home games early in the season. The year before we went 2-14, and every home game was sold out, every single one. Again I think it's unfair to call Indy fair weather fans, when we supported the team even when no one expected them to be good, and in one years case, we were the #1 pick
    I'll give you last season but the year before Irsay lied about Manning's health he knew Manning was going to be gone for the year but he wasn't going to tell the fanbase that because he had tickets to sell. Most if not all those tickets were sold before his neck took him out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Utter and complete bullsh*t. It's not "me not wanting to hear it." I know exactly what I'm looking at. Every fan base is fairweather. I see it on a daily basis. Fans of OTHER teams who I know who one day proclaim they're Super Bowl bound, and then the next week writing off their fan-hood after a bad loss. Every team goes through dips in attendance and earnings. If you honestly believe that our fanbase is any less fickle than any other out there, you probably also believe that the league has it out for us on a weekly basis and being small-market is a huge factor.

It's all utterly and completely incorrect. The more people repeat this crap though, the more people believe this crap.

And it's also pretty obvious that you didn't read the article. There are other teams who are even further from selling out than we are, including The Pack --- widely regarded as having one of the most "loyal" fanbases in the world. There is no logical reason for backing up the claim you made.

And let's just do a comparison of those loyal Browns fans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

There's Indy at 3rd, selling out 104% of their home games.
    Cleveland 19th.
    Yes because nobody here ever rants about the team after a loss. I'm sure after a few days removed most of them will still be a fan. Goodness knows how awful the Colts were a couple years ago but I also remember the Colts were irrelevant (the Indy era) way before 2011.

I don't think the NFL has it out for us I'd say we're more favored than a lot of other markets because of the QB. Unlike the NBA, the NFL doesn't need to have big markets succeed for people to watch.

My point is Indy has that reputation for better or for worse maybe we're not obnoxious jerks like fanbases of Boston and NY who have the media markets at their disposal to talk about how devoted they are. And stuff like this adds to it fair or not. But as I also said which you conveniently are ignoring here that this to me isn't about "fairweathered" Colts fans but how expensive the NFL has become its cheaper to stay at home at this point. And there's also Pacers fans and IU fans who got tickets for those games well before this one. If this game was on Sunday this may not have been an issue at all.

And regardless of ESPN's stats nobody is going to call sports fans of Cleveland fairweathered because they still maintain the reputation of a devoted sports fanbase compared to Indy who's considered "nice" in comparison and yes in the past have been fairweathered.

But you are right that could be said about fans in other fanbases Indy has that reputation all those years though.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How much do you believe that outdoor stadiums have in terms of cementing in people's minds that fans are more "hardcore"? Like Green Bay, Buffalo, Pitt, Cleveland --- all of these teams are considered to have "hardcore" fans.

Here's my thoughts on outdoor stadiums: The ownership is cheap. You can sell the "hardcore" experience all you want, but we ALL know that $$$ and bottom-line is the, well, bottom-line. You don't wanna fork out money to put a damn roof over your fan's heads, and therefore --- you are a cheap, penny-pinching miser.

Putting a roof over a stadium is costly to implement and maintain. These companies provide a product for a clientbase. In EVERY business, taking care of your customers is THE number one way to drive revenue. It's all about making the experience for the customer, so that they dump more of their cash into your buckets. It's why Amazon is taking over the world. Their customer-service is absolutely redonkulous (more companies need to learn from Amazon).

In what business, besides skiing, is making your client-base sit outside in terrible weather considered good business? Every time I watch a football game that is being played in inclement weather, I think to myself, "Man it's awesome watching football in the snow." But the parallel thought I'm having is, "Look at those poor *******s, they look miserable, as much as they deny it. is a bunch of cheapskates for not putting a roof over their customer's heads and keep them comfortable." I know people look at Indy as being "soft", but I look at it as our management took steps beyond what a lot of companies did to ensure that our experience was enjoyable and comfortable. I've been ot games outside, I hollered and whooped it up and drank like a sailor to numb the pain --- and I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I'd rather not be sitting in my recliner in my 71 degrees of humidified comfort, watching the game with commentary on my 60-inch LED with whatever I want to drink being 2 rooms away, costing 80% cheaper. Of course we want to be comfortable.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

How much do you believe that outdoor stadiums have in terms of cementing in people's minds that fans are more "hardcore"? Like Green Bay, Buffalo, Pitt, Cleveland --- all of these teams are considered to have "hardcore" fans.

Here's my thoughts on outdoor stadiums: The ownership is cheap. You can sell the "hardcore" experience all you want, but we ALL know that $$$ and bottom-line is the, well, bottom-line. You don't wanna fork out money to put a damn roof over your fan's heads, and therefore --- you are a cheap, penny-pinching miser.

Putting a roof over a stadium is costly to implement and maintain. These companies provide a product for a clientbase. In EVERY business, taking care of your customers is THE number one way to drive revenue. It's all about making the experience for the customer, so that they dump more of their cash into your buckets. It's why Amazon is taking over the world. Their customer-service is absolutely redonkulous (more companies need to learn from Amazon).

In what business, besides skiing, is making your client-base sit outside in terrible weather considered good business? Every time I watch a football game that is being played in inclement weather, I think to myself, "Man it's awesome watching football in the snow." But the parallel thought I'm having is, "Look at those poor *******s, they look miserable, as much as they deny it. is a bunch of cheapskates for not putting a roof over their customer's heads and keep them comfortable." I know people look at Indy as being "soft", but I look at it as our management took steps beyond what a lot of companies did to ensure that our experience was enjoyable and comfortable.
    The Saints play indoors as do the Cowboys but they also are considered crazier fans than us.

And as far as the extension... I should've known... the bigwigs are trying to drag this out so they don't have to pony up(pun intended) the $$$ to prevent the blackout.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    The Saints play indoors as do the Cowboys but they also are considered crazier fans than us.

And as far as the extension... I should've known... the bigwigs are trying to drag this out so they don't have to pony up(pun intended) the $$$ to prevent the blackout.
    What does "crazy" have to do with anything? Of course New Orleans is crazier, ever been to mardi gras? That town isn't exactly dealing with a full deck. And Dallas, well.... what do you want me to say? You provided two examples of teams who you think might be less fairweather, and therefore proving how fairweather we are? Oooookay.

The bigger problem is the NFL's format for blackouts, not the fact that we haven't sold out yet. 4 teams haven't sold out yet --- that points to an underlying problem with the format. Furthermore, I've never had anyone successfully explain to me how a blackout drives revenue in the least. I'm not going to the game; and them blacking it out isn't changing my stance, lol... I'll go to the game when I damn well want to, and am able to go. Blacking it out is like some asinine punishment for not going to the game. Alrighty then, don't show the game, and I guess I won't watch the hour and a half of potential advertisements you could have grilled into my brain in the process. Whatever. The world will continue to revolve.

Same goes for the 500. Put that damn thing on TV.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

What does "crazy" have to do with anything? Of course New Orleans is crazier, ever been to mardi gras? That town isn't exactly dealing with a full deck. And Dallas, well.... what do you want me to say? You provided two examples of teams who you think might be less fairweather, and therefore proving how fairweather we are? Oooookay.

The bigger problem is the NFL's format for blackouts, not the fact that we haven't sold out yet. 4 teams haven't sold out yet --- that points to an underlying problem with the format.
    The Eagles have sold out its us, Packers, and Bengals.

My point about the "crazier" fans is that they won't be accused of being fairweathered because of how they act at games even though there are probably a few fairweathered fans within that fanbase but their reputation shows they're "hardcore"

Indy fans don't come across that way so when you have a story of how they can't sell playoff tickets it just adds to that fairweathered reputation they had before.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll give you last season but the year before Irsay lied about Manning's health he knew Manning was going to be gone for the year but he wasn't going to tell the fanbase that because he had tickets to sell. Most if not all those tickets were sold before his neck took him out for the season.
    Even when we weren't going to make the playoffs, and the fans knew Manning wasn't coming back, we still sold out our home games, thats not a good excuse

Black it out, NFL. I'm not in the local market. Fire away boners.

...it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Even when we weren't going to make the playoffs, and the fans knew Manning wasn't coming back, we still sold out our home games, thats not a good excuse
    My point was that would those tickets have been sold so easily had they knew ahead of time? I'm guessing the Colts didn't think so otherwise they would've been honest with the fanbase about Manning's health but they weren't.

My point was that would those tickets have been sold so easily had they knew ahead of time? I'm guessing the Colts didn't think so otherwise they would've been honest with the fanbase about Manning's health but they weren't.
    Thats irrelevant though tbh, people found out at one point that Manning probably wasn't coming back, and we weren't going to the playoffs, and they still sold out the games, regardless of what the franchise was saying

Blackout will not happen.

Side-note: If any team I follow ever puts a roof over my head I will stop attending games. Football is a outdoor sport. Quit being a ***** and handle some rain/snow/ice/whatever

And yes, I 100% sincerely loved all the cold games Ive been to (that were good football games to go to). And yes, I HATE the cold weather.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post

Side-note: If any team I follow ever puts a roof over my head I will stop attending games. Football is a outdoor sport. Quit being a ***** and handle some rain/snow/ice/whatever

And yes, I 100% sincerely loved all the cold games Ive been to (that were good football games to go to). And yes, I HATE the cold weather.
    I do wish sometimes that Indy had an outdoor stadium, but I do love Lucas Oil so its tough

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

The Colts building an outdoor stadium was never an option. Indy wasn't going to fork over a billion dollars for a stadium unless it could also be used for events such as the Final Four. Now, they should have built a drainage system in it so that they didn't have to shut the roof every time there was a 0.0000001% chance of rain. Aside from that though, they did the right thing with Lucas Oil.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sadly, if the NFL wants to keep up with TV (and lets be honest, TV is better for a lot of folks) I think we will see more domes (or at least retractable roofs).

IMO the trend we may see (sooner rather than later) is going to be domes (retractable or not) with a LOT of extras. Mark Cuban has it right when he says games need to be a family event. I also would not be surprised to see owners building smaller and smaller stadiums

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sadly, if the NFL wants to keep up with TV (and lets be honest, TV is better for a lot of folks) I think we will see more domes (or at least retractable roofs).

IMO the trend we may see (sooner rather than later) is going to be domes (retractable or not) with a LOT of extras. Mark Cuban has it right when he says games need to be a family event. I also would not be surprised to see owners building smaller and smaller stadiums
    I love going to a couple of games a year and taking in the live atmosphere, but I'd never want to go to all 8 of them. I just don't pick up on as much as I do when I watch on a nice HD TV. It will just be really hard for the NFL to fix that. HD TV's are the worst things to ever happen to teams trying to bring fans to the gate.

There are certain events where the live experience trumps TV by a billion. I was at both of the epic Pats games (AFCCG and 4th and 2), and the live atmosphere at the end of those certainly couldn't have been equaled in the living room. But by and large, I'm perfectly fine with watching on a nice TV. Going to a couple a year is enough of a fix for me.

Same with the Pacers. I usually go to at least 5 a year, but sometimes (like last year) have gone to as much as 10 or so. I wouldn't really have a desire to go to 25 of them. 8-10 is probably the number I'll continue to shoot for.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Indy does NOT have a reputation as a fairweather fanbase except to a certain percentage of people who actually have no idea what they are talking about. Donnie Walsh did a talk a lot of 'small market' BS excuse making back in the day when he was simply justifying the way he wanted to spend money and trying to keep fans pacified why he wasn't chasing FA's... so maybe that has morphed and is why we hear this BS from some people.

But all you have to do is actually pay attention around the NFL and NBA and not just to the 'hot' teams that happens to be on natl TV and you'll see that in down years those teams lose support just like in Indy or anywhere else. Heck, in some cases moreso than Indy.

I highlighted the fact that Green Bay was actually having trouble selling out and had more tix available than Indy. Green Bay is supposed to be one of the 'examples' of unflinching fan support in all of sports. That's the reputation anyway. Apparently the reality is a little different.

As for Cleveland... Have you looked in the stands of Browns games lately???? The Browns have already lost their team once. Yet for some reason there's this notion that Cleveland is the ultimate in hardcore fans who never miss a game. When they are down we just don't see Cleveland unless we go looking for them. Or else it's a national TV that the hype helps sell tickets.

How about the other day when the Colts went to KC? There were SEVERAL empty seats in that stadium from the start. In fact, I'm suspicious that some of the upper deck people came down to the lower bowl as the game went on and it was obvious there were seats to be had. The lower bowl filled somewhat... and the top simply looked even more sparse. Kansas City was the other day playing the PR game about dB's of the fans and then a few days later seats were open everywhere for a couple of teams jockeying for playoff position and potentially for a playoff preview (which it turns out they did end up matched in the playoffs).

So yeah, when SNF or MNF is coming to town, about ANY team is going to have a packed out, rocked out stadium. But that 3-12 team playing a 4-11 team on the west coast at 1PM EST on a regional broadcast isn't going to be quite the same atmosphere or see the stands filled the same. But then, we aren't really looking for those games. We'd have to go out of our way to even SEE those games or even highlights on TV. And IMHO that is it in a nutshell- People have these perceptions that they just don't want to let reality get in the way of. So Green Bay is always sold out with Cheeseheads and KC is filled with BBQ eating, rabid, record potential loud crowds. ...And the dog-pound is packed in Cleveland and the entire stadium has dog masks on, game in and game out, regardless of the season or opponent.

But Indy? Well, regardless of the numbers thru the turnstyles over the years, and trends in attendance vs record vs other franchises... We're fairweathers and don't support our team like these other teams....

Some people just need to get over it and realize not only are we the norm in sports and like most other cities, we're actually pretty good at supporting our teams and aren't quick to jump off the bandwagon without the team pushing fans off by compounding bad decisions.

And Sollozzo explained the Colts situation fairly well. For years TV commentators would mistakenly call them the 'Baltimore Colts'. And then they didn't do much for their first few years with Robert Irsay at the helm. But Jim Irsay has been anything BUT his father. And the team has been fairly well established, if not by the mid 90's certainly by the time Manning helped put that Lombardi trophy on Jim Irsay's desk. And then Irsay has brilliantly marketed the team and made sure they are beloved throughout the state.

Indy hasn't sold out and Green Bay hasn't sold out.... that says something but it doesn't say it about the weakness of the fanbases!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In what business, besides skiing, is making your client-base sit outside in terrible weather considered good business? Every time I watch a football game that is being played in inclement weather, I think to myself, "Man it's awesome watching football in the snow." But the parallel thought I'm having is, "Look at those poor *******s, they look miserable, as much as they deny it. is a bunch of cheapskates for not putting a roof over their customer's heads and keep them comfortable." I know people look at Indy as being "soft", but I look at it as our management took steps beyond what a lot of companies did to ensure that our experience was enjoyable and comfortable. I've been ot games outside, I hollered and whooped it up and drank like a sailor to numb the pain --- and I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I'd rather not be sitting in my recliner in my 71 degrees of humidified comfort, watching the game with commentary on my 60-inch LED with whatever I want to drink being 2 rooms away, costing 80% cheaper. Of course we want to be comfortable.
    This is just a bunch of nonsense and ********. Ownership is just being cheap when they don't put a roof on their stadium? HA! Then why is the 49ers new stadium half a billion dollars more expensive than LOS? And since when did ownership pay for the stadium? That money is coming from tax payers. So yeah if it can be cheaper then make it cheaper. Bad enough tax dollar fund stadiums like they do.

And guess what? A lot of fans love football outside. I absolutely prefer watching a game in an outdoor stadium. I've been to plenty of freezing cold game, they are great. Millions of fans agree. You think Chicago fans want a roof on Soldier field? You think Packer fans want a roof on Lambo? They don't.

Don't sit there and act like football should only be played in a controlled 70 degree environment. It never has been that way. And hopefully never will be.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I went to the Colts game in Cincy this year and it was freezing cold and just miserable. Football is a sport played on turf, nothing more. There's nothing written that says it was meant to be played in the elements. I'm really glad we play indoors and I certainly wouldn't go to winter games if the Colts played outdoors. I love the Colts but if I'm going to spend my money to go watch the game in person I want to be comfortable not miserable, and indoor heating is comfortable.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

RWB

As a Notre Dame season ticket holder, outdoor football is much worse than dome. The elements aren't fun. People can pretend like they are, but domes are louder, more profitable, and comfortable. If people want to pat themselves on the back by being crammed between two sweaty 300 pound guys while it's snowing, be my guest.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I went to the Colts game in Cincy this year and it was freezing cold and just miserable. Football is a sport played on turf, nothing more. There's nothing written that says it was meant to be played in the elements. I'm really glad we play indoors and I certainly wouldn't go to winter games if the Colts played outdoors. I love the Colts but if I'm going to spend my money to go watch the game in person I want to be comfortable not miserable, and indoor heating is comfortable.
    Sigh, this just depresses me.

To each their own. So long as you are OK with not putting skirts in the QB, I can deal with people who dont like the elements. I dont agree (at all) but to each their own

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

I am going to stop for the night, but seriously some of you need to GTF over yourselves.

Because I do not agree I am "faking" or "pretending". Give me a ****ing break.

Also, can you provide a link that says domes are more profitable? I call BS

I was a Redskins season ticket holder from I think 07-2010, and I can say with 100% certainty that

1. We were louder than plenty of other teams, dome teams included. Especially during playoff runs (RIP Sean Taylor but that win and you are in for 5 game stretch was amazing)

2. Never saw anyone pay themselves on the back, rather saw fans quick to say "All people with have the opposite view point of me are faking".

3. Got some big people here in DC, yet I never sat between two 300 lb folks . Actually mosts games are STH neighbors were 2 young military guys and their wives.
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 01-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Sigh, this just depresses me.

To each their own. So long as you are OK with not putting skirts in the QB, I can deal with people who dont like the elements. I dont agree (at all) but to each their own
    Oh I don't know, it'd be amusing to see Brady in a skirt...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Oh I don't know, it'd be amusing to see Brady in a skirt...
    here you go

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the best times I've ever had at a sporting event was when PSU playing MSU at the end of the season. A snowball fight broke out in the student section. 20k+ people throwing snowballs at each other is fun

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: