Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

  1. #1
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,921

    Default Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7570--nfl.html

    The Bengals produced a video with some players urging fans to buy playoff tickets, which you wouldn't think should be necessary for a NFL playoff game. Former Bengals receiver Chad Johnson said he would buy the unsold tickets, of which there are about 8,000 according to reports, but it's unclear if he was serious. As of Wednesday afternoon the Colts needed to sell 5,500 tickets for their game against the Chiefs before Thursday afternoon to become a sellout and avoid a local television blackout.
    More: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7570--nfl.html

    And before anyone laments the 'soft' Indy fairweather fanbase the 3rd team that is short of a sellout is the Green Bay Packers. A team that would probably be high on most anyone's list of fanbases that are there thick or thin.

    Green Bay, as of Wednesday morning, was about 8,500 tickets short of a sellout, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein. If the Packers don't sell out by 3:40 p.m. Thursday, the game will be blacked out on local TV from Green Bay to Milwaukee. That's almost inconceivable. The Press-Gazette said the Packers have sold out every regular-season game since 1959 (a playoff game in January of 1983, at the end of the strike-shortened season, did not). And yet they are having troubles selling out a playoff game a week after Aaron Rodgers returned from injury to beat the Bears for the NFC North title.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    They should have scheduled the Colts for Sunday.....

    Sandman 1
    NFL 0



    In all seriousness, this is what happens when you force STHs to buy two playoff games and you price gouge to the extreme, right after Christmas. These games will get sold out by owners, sponsors and local stations buying the tickets, but it needs to be a wakeup call to the NFL as whole (especially since that two playoff game purchase requirement is league policy).
    Last edited by Sandman21; 01-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Indy is a fair weathered fanbase but not because of this alone....

    I did enter the contest that WTHR is having giving away Colts tix but that's the only way I'm going.

    And there's a weather factor as well for some they may not be able to make it to the game even if they wanted to. Its more economical and safer to be at home to watch the game.

    Although you hear that Seattle and Denver sold out right away despite not playing for another week it does make us look bad but I don't think this alone means we're fairweathered. For some a game is a luxury we can't afford.

  6. #4
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should have scheduled the Colts for Sunday.....

    Sandman 1
    NFL 0



    In all seriousness, this is what happens when you force STHs to buy two playoff games and you price gouge to the extreme, right after Christmas. These games will get sold out by owners, sponsors and local stations buying the tickets, but it needs to be a wakeup call to the NFL as whole (especially since that two playoff game purchase requirement is league policy).

    I agree. The NFL is by far the greediest institution on the entire planet. There's not another business out there that so viciously tries to squeeze out every single last penny from its fans. They take greed to another level. My guess is that the league has always had a heavy organized crime influence behind it. Giving the Super Bowl to NJ/NY is a reward to the league's mobster friends for their years of unwavering support. The Mafia will make an absolute fortune with the Super Bowl in New York.

    There were 12 playoff teams last year, but only two of them had two playoff games - NE and Atlanta. The only way to host two playoff games is to make it to the Conference Championship. This is such an obvious scam. During the Manning era, we would have hosted two playoff games twice: 06 and 09. The working class citizens who have been penny-pinched by the Holidays in places like GB, Cincy, and Indy are responding with the middle finger to Greedell and his organization.

  7. #5

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NFL is by far the greediest institution on the entire planet.
    What's the NBA policy on playoff tickets ?? Similar I believe.



    According to the Colts site an hour ago - 4500 tix still available.

    I would guess that WTHR has already sold advertising for the broadcast and probably won't let the game NOT be televised. Someone will come along and take care of it. Too much $$ to be lost.
    Last edited by PacerDude; 01-02-2014 at 12:43 PM.

  8. #6

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Well they're having Andrew Luck try to hype the game I don't know about you but if I wanted to be "hyped up" I think Robert Mathis would've been more effective.

  9. #7
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the NBA policy on playoff tickets ?? Similar I believe.
    An actual STH would have to confirm this, but I believe the NBA policy is that some of those decisions are actually left to the individual franchises. I do know that the Pacers have a "Cheer Now, Pay Later" option for their STH that allows them to ONLY pay for the games that are actually played, instead of this crazy "STH must buy playoff tickets for TWO games" malarkey.
    http://www.pacerselite.com/#
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NFL is by far the greediest institution on the entire planet.
    I spot a Vogel in there.

    I don't doubt they are greedy but we still have banks, law firms, and insurance companies ya know.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    For some reason people don't want to be robbed by the NFL. Better not show the game on TV then!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,601

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    I think to call Indy fair weathered fans is kinda unfair considering we sold out every home game even when We went 2-14

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,601

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Btw, down to roughly 3,000 tickets left

  18. #12

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    3000 @ an average of $90 a ticket = $27,000.

    Who is going to step up ??

  19. #13
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think to call Indy fair weathered fans is kinda unfair considering we sold out every home game even when We went 2-14

    Most of those tickets would have been sold when people still thought that Manning would be playing, but I agree with your point. I went to a few games that year and fans were as into it as they could be for such a miserable team. And then we sold out last year after releasing Manning when many people thought that the first year with a rookie QB would be rough.

    The local ratings for this game if it doesn't get blacked out will be through the roof. People are interested and want to watch. But this is a small Midwestern market and people are cash strapped this time a year. The situations in Cincy and GB tell us that we aren't alone.

    Irsay should do the right thing and buy up any remaining tickets since the taxpayers are the ones who built that palace.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,601

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    If they go unsold, Irsay and WTHR will buy the tickets, guarunteed, it won't be blacked out

  22. #15

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3000 @ an average of $90 a ticket = $27,000.

    Who is going to step up ??
    WTHR would pay this. 27K is nothing compared to what they would make with broadcasting this game.

  23. #16
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,248

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Being forced to pay for two playoff games right off the bat is just ridiculous and I can understand why season ticket holders are passing on it right after Christmas. I realize that if we do not have two playoff games the money goes towards next year season tickets, but still but buying for two games is a lot of money.

    IU has a home game and the Pacers have a home game and I am sure people bought those tickets a long time ago and are not going to give up those tickets to go buy NFL tickets that are outrageously priced.

    Throw in the fact that more and more fans just rather stay home and you get this happening. I know for the most part I much rather just stay home and watch the game than deal with everything involved with going to a game.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WTHR would pay this. 27K is nothing compared to what they would make with broadcasting this game.
    Plus the tax writeoff for donating said tickets to charity.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  26. #18
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    IU has a home game and the Pacers have a home game and I am sure people bought those tickets a long time ago and are not going to give up those tickets to go buy NFL tickets that are outrageously priced.
    The Ice have a home game at Pan Am Plaza as well (and yes, I know, LOL Ice).
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  27. #19
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3000 @ an average of $90 a ticket = $27,000.

    Who is going to step up ??

    Uhh....no. You're low by about $243,000. Try one more zero.

    3,000 x $90 average per ticket is $270,000.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,374

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indy is a fair weathered fanbase but not because of this alone....
    Every fanbase is fairweather. Every one of them. Not a single fanbase is exempt from fairweatherness --- I've seen every single fanbase have their moments.

    This argument gets so hilarious. It's like debating if the sky is blue... or blue. Our sky is blue. But their sky is blue. Guess what --- every sky is blue. Is our sky more blue than someone else's sky? Some days it is... tomorrow probly not.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  31. #21

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they go unsold, Irsay and WTHR will buy the tickets, guarunteed, it won't be blacked out
    Which is why all this hype about an impending blackout is just that.. hype.

    Now if it actually happens then its worth talking about.

  32. #22

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every fanbase is fairweather. Every one of them. Not a single fanbase is exempt from fairweatherness --- I've seen every single fanbase have their moments.

    This argument gets so hilarious. It's like debating if the sky is blue... or blue. Our sky is blue. But their sky is blue. Guess what --- every sky is blue. Is our sky more blue than someone else's sky? Some days it is... tomorrow probly not.

    There are fairweather fans in every fanbase yes but most don't have a reputation for it like we do. Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't make it less true for those who have lived it. Some people forget before Manning came along how much of a doormat the Colts were since arriving in Indy. We were the equivalent of the Jaguars at one point. Even the Pacers have gone through it recently. Right now both teams are doing well and yet the Colts can't sell out. I don't think its because they're fairweathered in this case the NFL has priced out their market here. However it doesn't help the reputation this fanbase has had of being fairweathered and soft.

    Take Cleveland for example otherwise known as a Factory of Sadness who have gone through: The Drive, The Fumble, The Decision, and The Shot. Yet they are devoted and sell out regardless despite not having much reason because of the lack of on field/court success. Nobody would ever claim them as fairweathered but here? It sticks.

  33. #23
    Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,601

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Last season, was anyone expecting the Colts to be good? No, but we still sold out our home games early in the season. The year before we went 2-14, and every home game was sold out, every single one. Again I think it's unfair to call Indy fair weather fans, when we supported the team even when no one expected them to be good, and in one years case, we were the #1 pick

  34. #24
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,374

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are fairweather fans in every fanbase yes but most don't have a reputation for it like we do. Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't make it less true for those who have lived it. Some people forget before Manning came along how much of a doormat the Colts were since arriving in Indy. We were the equivalent of the Jaguars at one point. Even the Pacers have gone through it recently. Right now both teams are doing well and yet the Colts can't sell out. I don't think its because they're fairweathered in this case the NFL has priced out their market here. However it doesn't help the reputation this fanbase has had of being fairweathered and soft.

    Take Cleveland for example otherwise known as a Factory of Sadness who have gone through: The Drive, The Fumble, The Decision, and The Shot. Yet they are devoted and sell out regardless despite not having much reason because of the lack of on field/court success. Nobody would ever claim them as fairweathered but here? It sticks.
    Utter and complete bullsh*t. It's not "me not wanting to hear it." I know exactly what I'm looking at. Every fan base is fairweather. I see it on a daily basis. Fans of OTHER teams who I know who one day proclaim they're Super Bowl bound, and then the next week writing off their fan-hood after a bad loss. Every team goes through dips in attendance and earnings. If you honestly believe that our fanbase is any less fickle than any other out there, you probably also believe that the league has it out for us on a weekly basis and being small-market is a huge factor.

    It's all utterly and completely incorrect. The more people repeat this crap though, the more people believe this crap.

    And it's also pretty obvious that you didn't read the article. There are other teams who are even further from selling out than we are, including The Pack --- widely regarded as having one of the most "loyal" fanbases in the world. There is no logical reason for backing up the claim you made.

    And let's just do a comparison of those loyal Browns fans:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

    There's Indy at 3rd, selling out 104% of their home games.
    Cleveland 19th.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  36. #25
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts (and others) Playoff Games Not Sold Out. TV Blackout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are fairweather fans in every fanbase yes but most don't have a reputation for it like we do. Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't make it less true for those who have lived it. Some people forget before Manning came along how much of a doormat the Colts were since arriving in Indy. We were the equivalent of the Jaguars at one point. Even the Pacers have gone through it recently. Right now both teams are doing well and yet the Colts can't sell out. I don't think its because they're fairweathered in this case the NFL has priced out their market here. However it doesn't help the reputation this fanbase has had of being fairweathered and soft.

    Take Cleveland for example otherwise known as a Factory of Sadness who have gone through: The Drive, The Fumble, The Decision, and The Shot. Yet they are devoted and sell out regardless despite not having much reason because of the lack of on field/court success. Nobody would ever claim them as fairweathered but here? It sticks.

    I've wrote some very long posts about this in the past and don't feel like writing a bunch now. But I will say a couple of things:

    1) Indy is a pretty small sports market. The Colts didn't come here until 1984. Many people around here had loyalties to regional teams like the Bengals, Bears, and Packers. And then there were of course the people who rooted for nationally popular teams such as the Cowboys and Steelers. You don't build a large fan base overnight, especially when you play in a small market surrounded by a lot of other teams. For most of 1984-1997, the Colts put out a pretty bad product aside from the miracle 1995 run and a couple of exciting years with Dickerson. Plus there was still a bit of awkwardness with the whole move from Baltimore. A lot of people didn't feel like it was "their team". That obviously all changed during the Manning years. The Colts now have a rich Indy tradition and history, and the fans have been very loyal for a long long time now. No blackouts in a long long time. Teams like the Cowboys and Steelers have had such good attendance over the years because they have decades upon decades of success. The Indy Colts OTOH really had nothing before Manning came.

    Keep in mind that the Lucas Oil Stadium capacity makes up a larger percentage of the Indy metro than say the Cowboys Stadium does of the Dallas metro.


    2) Even big market teams have struggled with attendance. The New England Patriots were pretty irrelevant in the Boston sports landscape throughout the 80's and early 90's. They had some absolutely awful attendance, just look it up. And this is Boston we're talking about here - a well populated metro area with a rich sports history. Yet most people didn't have much interest in them. That all changed when Kraft bought the team and turned it into a premier franchise with Belichick and Brady. The point is that fans across this country have pretty similar behaviors, whether you're in Boston or Indy.

    Some big market teams in the NBA have struggled with attendance over the years - Philly, Det, etc. So it shouldn't be any surprise that the Pacers struggled after completely nuking their brand from 04-10. Nothing makes me want to beat my head into a wall more than when I hear someone say that NY fans are loyal because they sell out MSG every night. Yeah, it's really hard to sell out games when you play in a metro area of 20 something million people.......

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •