Thread: Bucs hire Lovie Smith

Default Bucs hire Lovie Smith

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...back-to-tampa/

Report: Bucs bring Lovie Smith back to Tampa

Reuters
    During the lowest points of the regular season in Tampa Bay, Buccaneers fans wanted the team to fire Greg Schiano and immediately hire Lovie Smith.

They have gotten their wish, albeit belatedly.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Lovie Smith will become the next head coach of the Buccaneers, and that the two sides are finalizing the terms of a contract.

Smith served as linebackers coach in Tampa from 1996 through 2000, before becoming the Ramsí defensive coordinator in 2001. Three years later, the Bears hired Smith to be the teamís head coach, where he served for nine seasons.

The move comes only two days after the Buccaneers fired Greg Schiano. Because Smith is a minority candidate, the Bucs were able to move swiftly, hiring Smith without interviewing any other candidates.

There had been speculation that the Buccaneers also will bring back former G.M. Rich McKay. Before filling that spot, however, at least one minority candidate for the G.M. position must be interviewed.

The decision to hire Smith before hiring a G.M. will raise questions regarding whether Smith or the General Manager will have final say over the roster and the draft. During Smithís time in Chicago, former G.M. Jerry Angelo and then G.M. Phil Emery held those powers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bucs hire Lovie Smith

Good hire. I can see this working out a lot like Reid in KC. Obviously Tampa needs a QB, just like Reid got Smith. But Tampa needs a culture change. Schiano was terrible. Lovie Smith is basically the complete opposite of him.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While Schiano was bad, I think he was what we needed. Morris let the players get out of control. Greg brought order back to the team, but it was definitely time to move on. He served his purpose, and now we can move on.

I definitely think we're a QB and coaching staff away from the playoffs. Plenty of talent, but we need to put it all together.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that this is a good hire and that he will do a solid job. That's a pretty brutal division though. Carolina and New Orleans aren't going anywhere, plus you have to think that the Falcons will turn things around next year. Everything that could go wrong for Atlanta this year went wrong. They have too much talent to not bounce back, though they do need to beef up their lines big time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that this is a good hire and that he will do a solid job. That's a pretty brutal division though. Carolina and New Orleans aren't going anywhere, plus you have to think that the Falcons will turn things around next year. Everything that could go wrong for Atlanta this year went wrong. They have too much talent to not bounce back, though they do need to beef up their lines big time.
    I'm not sold on Carolina "not going anywhere". It wouldn't surprise me if they regressed next year to 7-9 or 6-10.