Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Raptors Post Game Thread

Default Re: Pacers Raptors Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

In this game, we see that once players get frustrated they play more carelessly in a (misguided) effort to speed the game up and try to get daggers to change the momentum back in their direction. Ridiculous pass attempts, spin moves that end up losing the ball, attempted dagger three-pointers that go *clang*, all of them are symptoms.

When things stop going their way on defense they start to lose focus even more as well. There was a point where I felt like they just threw up their hands and gave up doing the fundamental defensive moves because Toronto was hitting very difficult shots. That's no excuse to give easy ones away as well.

I think the players fall into the mental trap of thinking they are so good they can turn it on and still win any game. And in fact they usually can especially at home against the majority of the teams.

But the even bigger problem I see is the team falls into taking shortcuts. They either get away from running their offense, makiing the simple pass, playing together, and on defense they take short cuts and get a little lazy. Nothing unusual though, I'm sure all the top teams fall into this habbit.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think the players fall into the mental trap of thinking they are so good they can turn it on and still win any game. And in fact they usually can especially at home against the majority of the teams.

But the even bigger problem I see is the team falls into taking shortcuts. They either get away from running their offense, makiing the simple pass, playing together, and on defense they take short cuts and get a little lazy. Nothing unusual though, I'm sure all the top teams fall into this habbit.

This is why I think that losses like last night or the one against Detroit ultimately aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully last night helps remind them that they can't take anyone for granted.

This team is obviously great and the 25-6 start has been awesome, but we have to remember that these guys aren't the 1996 Bulls. We're going to lose games. But I think that this team has earned the benefit of the doubt by now. I'm not going to overreact to last night.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Wait are we actually speculating the reason we lost last night is because we went out in Toronto? Even if we did are we then assuming that the Raptors just stayed home?

We got out played simple as that. It happens.

Also, Danny should have played crunch time minutes over Lance last night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also we are still 25-6. :chill:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This is why I think that losses like last night or the one against Detroit ultimately aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully last night helps remind them that they can't take anyone for granted.

This team is obviously great and the 25-6 start has been awesome, but we have to remember that these guys aren't the 1996 Bulls. We're going to lose games. But I think that this team has earned the benefit of the doubt by now. I'm not going to overreact to last night.
    Even the 1996 Bulls lost games, including to a Raptors team that ended up in 14th place in the East and a sub-.500 Nuggets team.

I think if we can keep on pace to go, oh, say, 68-14, that's a pretty great team.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    The Pelicans can easily kick our asses on Saturday. They dominated us for most of the game in the first meeting and now they have Ryan Anderson back.
    We should probably just forfeit.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    We should probably just forfeit.
    Is it time to start tanking for Wiggins?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    The Miami Heat enjoyed this one. A gift.
    They've already given us a few. Good teams do this. Remember they lost to the damn 76ers in the second game of the year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I make a tiny fraction of what Paul George makes. My vocation requires a college degree and if I got caught screwing off even one day at work my butt would be out on the street.

Paul George goes back to his mansion and collects his game check which is more than what I make in an entire year after a chicken **** lazy performance.
    So you give 100% your best effort every day you are at work? You are the best employee I have ever heard of.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Personally I couldn't care less about how many games the pacers win as long as they get home court advantage throughout the playoffs. I mean if that is 61 wins, then I'll be thrilled with that. getting 65 wins I don't care about that, just enough to get homecourt whatever that number is.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yep I think they partied hard last night, I don't blame them though Toronto is known for having good parties.
    I seriously doubt it, but even if they did I bet the Raptors did too.

And yet we are only one single game ahead of Miami in the standings.

We've had the rougher schedule so far (mainly from the West Coast road trip), but it does show just how razor-thin our margin for error is if we agree that the #1 seed is necessary to get to the finals.

I'm not freaked out by this loss, but I am concerned about the standings, particularly the psychological advantage of knowing you have the best record. If Miami manages to catch us in the standings I'm a little worried about how the team will respond.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

I seriously doubt it, but even if they did I bet the Raptors did too.
    Nah that was just the American New Year. Canadian New Year isn't for a few more months.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

That too simplistic, you need to look at the losses. We loss to both Toronto and Detroit, teams that were in the streaking when we played them. We loss to Chicago and Miami, contenders in the East at the time we played them. we loss to both Portand and OKC, teams out west who are elite. These are all potential playoff teams and it looks like we got pounded pretty bad in aspecs of the game that are supposed to be our strengths. There is a pattern developing with this team. We have more losses to quality teams than wins. So yeah i'm getting a bit concerned here. You have to do more than beat up on bad teams to get the #1 seed. Who have we beaten so far? Miami, Chicago, Spurs, Clippers, Houston, Minnesota? Gotta play better against real competition.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    And yet we are only one single game ahead of Miami in the standings.

We've had the rougher schedule so far (mainly from the West Coast road trip), but it does show just how razor-thin our margin for error is if we agree that the #1 seed is necessary to get to the finals.

I'm not freaked out by this loss, but I am concerned about the standings, particularly the psychological advantage of knowing you have the best record. If Miami manages to catch us in the standings I'm a little worried about how the team will respond.
    If Miami catching us in the standings would be enough to mess up our mentality then we ain't winning **** anyway, home court or not

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    That too simplistic, you need to look at the losses. We loss to both Toronto and Detroit, teams that were in the streaking when we played them. We loss to Chicago and Miami, contenders in the East at the time we played them. we loss to both Portand and OKC, teams out west who are elite. These are all potential playoff teams and it looks like we got pounded pretty bad in aspecs of the game that are supposed to be our strengths. There is a pattern developing with this team. We have more losses to quality teams than wins. So yeah i'm getting a bit concerned here. You have to do more than beat up on bad teams to get the #1 seed. Who have we beaten so far? Miami, Chicago, Spurs, Clippers, Houston, Minnesota? Gotta play better against real competition.
    I looked at the losses....I saw 6 of them....I looked at the wins...I saw 25.

I see a double digit win over the Spurs, a win over Miami, a beat down of the Rockets, a road win of the Clippers...our run is for the 1 seed....you can say the record is simplistic but really it's all that matters for that.

Look at who Miami has lost to for their 7 losses, Philly, BKN, BOS, Detroit, Chi (without Rose), IND, and freaking Sacramento.

We responded to our only back to back losses of the season by ripping off a 5 game winning streak that consisted of the franchises' longest streak ever of winning consecutive games by 14 or more points.

And on top of all this, we still feature the largest margin of victory in the NBA which by many is considered one of the better indicators of true team strength. OKC and Miami had the two best last year and were the two 1 seeds.

I mean I don't know what to tell ya, certainly you can find negatives in every team in the NBA, but if you're a fan of the Thunder, Spurs, Blazers, Pacers, or Heat right now I think you're really just looking for fly **** in pepper.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-02-2014 at 12:10 PM.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    We lost to Portland and Oklahoma City.......on the road. Portland was the night after we got a big win against LAC. OKC was the night after we smashed the Spurs. We should have lost that OKC game. Oklahoma City is probably just a better team with a healthy Westbrook, no shame in that. But let's wait and see how we fare against these two teams in Indy. We went 3-2 on a brutally difficult Western road trip with the only bad loss being the OKC game. We could have definitely won that Portland game. I don't know what else you can reasonably expect from a team on a tough road trip like that. We had two super impressive wins against the Clippers and Spurs. Besides, who really cares about the Western teams anyway? We don't have to worry about them unless we get to the Finals, and if that's the case then we will only be playing one of them. It's not like we have to go through the whole conference.

We lost to Chicago and Miami..........on the road shortly after we had beaten them in Indy. Did we really have to start out at a combined 4-0 against both to prove ourselves? When we lost to Chicago, we were 9-0 and had beaten Chicago 10 days earlier by 17 points. Chicago is a tough place to play and they were gunning for us with D. Rose. They couldn't miss from 3 point land and Taj Gibson was playing like Charles Barkley. It happens. But they are irrelevant now anyway. As far as Miami is concerned, we beat them at Indy and then lost a close game the following week in Miami. The loss in Miami was very frustrating because we had a great chance at winning that game, but it played out exactly how it was supposed to. 1-1 with both teams winning at home.

Has it gotten to the point where we have to win every single game to prove ourselves? I'm as thrilled as can be about 25-6 start, but the downside is that it has caused unrealistic expectations. This team isn't going to win 70 games. They're a great team, but they aren't historically great. We're likely going to win in the low to mid 60's and have a great shot at the number 1 seed. Overall, we have played petal to the metal all season. The only "bad" loss is the home loss against Detroit. We're better than Toronto, but that was a tough game on the road against a hot team. This is the NBA. Anyone can beat anyone. I remember when the 08-09 O'Brien team beat the Celtics, Cavs, Magic, and Lakers.....all great teams. Even the best teams lose to inferior opponents.

This team has earned the benefit of the doubt by now. Game 7 of the ECF's and a 25-6 start this year. No one in the East can eliminate us in a series except for Miami, and I think we have done a great job at putting forth our best effort to get that 1 seed.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If Miami catching us in the standings would be enough to mess up our mentality then we ain't winning **** anyway, home court or not
    I think that's oversimplifying things a bit. We talk about games/situations where we've "gotten into Lebron's head" or "gotten into Miami's head," but that doesn't mean they still can't be champions.

Championship teams aren't flawless, robotic inhuman machines. They are simply the team that wins the finals that year. It's possible to get rattled once or twice and still win.

So I don't think it's inconsistent to worry about the psychological toll of the season while at the same time believing that despite those obstacles we can still be NBA champions.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That stupid clear path foul from Paul George changed the game. George Hill hit a big three to push the lead to six but it was all downhill after that. I wasted 2.5 hours to watch this **** show.

Games like this are why many people think pro athletes are overpaid. Who else can mail it in at work and still collect a massive paycheck?
    Pro Athletes are clearly the only people that can have a bad day on the job. Yeah, because everyone knows that billionaire CEOs never loaf or make bad decisions - just look at Jerry Jones! A-list Actors always give Oscar worthy performances and only pick the best movies to star in and mega rock stars never release a single that isn't a certified hit.

Anyone that is this upset over a road loss on the second night of a back-to-back game on New Years (I think the Pacers might've partied too hard the night before) needs to calm down. Players have bad games. It happens to the best teams. Look at some of the cupcakes the Heat have lost to this year. At least this loss came to a playoff team.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Im not mad they lost a game on the second night of a back to back. Im mad they were slow and just generally lazy out there. And just to be fsir Toronto actually had less rest than us. So thats not much of an excuse.

We keep trying to sleepwalk though games and this is the second time its cost us. Although if not for a gift from the refs we lose to the Knicks as well.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime3131 View Post
    Sure would be nice to have PLAYERS ( NOT JUST THE POINT GUARD ) who can get players shots when a team turns it up on defense...
    FIXED.

What you originally stated is true for many Teams where the offense SOLELY flows through whatever Point Guard is on the Team. But the offense for the Pacers does not SOLELY flow through a single Player....much less the Point Guard that is on the floor.

The offense flows through some combination of ALL the Players on the Court...most notably GH, PG24, Lance and to a lesser degree...Hibbert, West and even CJ....where they try to create shots for the rest of the Team.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Lance's one-handed play, which has bothered me for a number of games now, finally became an active detriment because the referees have started watching his off hand. This could be HUGE if it doesn't get corrected.
    Please tell me that you are not referring to when Lance holds the ball to the face of the Player defending him and then taking it back like he is taunting him.

If not...please clarify...I didn't really watch the game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Please tell me that you are not referring to when Lance holds the ball to the face of the Player defending him and then taking it back like he is taunting him.

If not...please clarify...I didn't really watch the game.
    I think he means when he holds the ball in one hand on layups, and leaves his off hand free to clear space (an offensive foul obviously).

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

1) The 1995-96 Bulls (who of course finished 72-10) lost to the (wait for it) Toronto Raptors. That victory was one of only 21 games the Raps won that year, and they did it with only 7 healthy players (facing a fully-stocked Bulls team). The Bulls also lost to the 35-47 Nuggets and two .500 teams (the Hornets and the Suns).

2) NBA teams have historically only had a ~33% winning percentage in the second game of a back-to-back when that game is played on the road. I have no data on the record of teams playing the second game of a back-to-back on the road when a) a holiday is right in between, and b) the opposing team is in the middle of a hot streak because they traded away a historically awful player who used up a ton of possessions, making everyone high on the drugs of "ball movement" and "good shots".

3) People complaining about professional athletes slacking off at work on an internet message board is just plain awesome.

44. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Disappointing loss, but I'm not to worried. Toronto is just a good team since they got rid of Rudy Gay, and I could totally see them as a 3 seed in this joke we call the Eastern Conference.

Carmel HS Class of 2011