Pacers haven't won a single game this whole year. :-(
Pacers haven't won a single game this whole year. :-(
There is no NBA player named Monte Ellis.
A total collapse in the second half. It started as a typical Pacers game- start slow and pull ahead early in the second half. We had an eight point lead and then Paul George decided to quit caring and Roy Hibbert couldn't stop fouling.
None of the starters played well and Granger is good for one half now it seems.
It is not acceptable to let punks losers like DeRozan, Ross, and Lowry tear you apart.
I am not ready to jump off a cliff. This is the NBA and bad things happen. Overall though the effort was disappointing. Toronto played much harder on the defensive end forcing Indiana to have a boatload of turnovers. We have to realize we are the hunted, and while we are very good we still need to show up every night. No one is going to lie down and die for us.
My prediction... This thread will be uglier than the game...
Everyone played like crap tonight. Seriously--I can't think of one starter who played an even average game. These things happen. It sucks but we will bounce back and the sky is most definitely not falling, although if you read the game thread you might come to a different conclusion.
Too many bad offensive performances by our starters tonight to win the game. 3 of them scored single digit points and your superstar scored 12. Add to that Roy's foul trouble and that Toronto is a good team right now and the loss doesn't come as a surprise.
I don't like to blame players for loses, but Paul George in my opinion this lose is completely on you. 8 point lead all the momentum crowd completely out of the game and you commit back to back horrible turnovers and then a clear path on top of it after the turnover. He just seemed completely unengaged all night and showed a complete lack of focus tonight. Usually even when he shoots poorly he still effects the team in a positive way because of all the intangibles he brings, but tonight his defense was bad his ball control was putrid his shot was off just an all around terrible game. Probably the worst game I've seen him play all year and in a long time was very depressing effort from him. This is now our 4th lose on the 2nd night of back to backs and it doesn't seem like we are losing because of physical fatigue but more mental fatigue. Just a lot of lackadaisical performances in these situations.
I expected an L tonight. We played careless and without energy for most of the game. Two positives from this game. I thought Granger looked very good. Also, the bench looked pretty good in the 2nd quarter and Scola looked like a huge upgrade over T-Hans. That and the development of our other players should bode well in May.
The Pelicans can easily kick our asses on Saturday. They dominated us for most of the game in the first meeting and now they have Ryan Anderson back.
Honestly, I think it's good for us to lose a game in this fashion every now and then.
It shows our guys that they cannot just show up in the building and expect to blow teams out.
We're so good most of the time that we buy into our own hype occasionally. Some nights, we're able to notice it soon enough to recover. Some nights, we lose to the Raptors.
I have ZERO doubt that the guys, the coaching staff, etc. are all going to be PISSED about this game and go string together a nice win streak in response.
Pacers season low by 7 points, I figured they were going to have a crap game scoring at some point.
"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."
----------------- Reggie Miller
Combo of Hibbert, George, and Stephenson all off their games (Hibbert due to foul issues in this case) equals loss for us 98% of the time.
I was impressed with Toronto, particularly their D. Hopefully PG & Lance took note of how badly they were outplayed by Toronto's young wings on both ends.
I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.
I never thought this game would be easy and we're going to lose some games that we should win. The difference Roy makes in a game is amazing, we won't win a lot games with Roy playing 20 minutes. He's just that important to the team. Roy needs to look at the tape though and get back to what kept him out of fould trouble.
Seriously guys who can we get for Paul George?
That stupid clear path foul from Paul George changed the game. George Hill hit a big three to push the lead to six but it was all downhill after that. I wasted 2.5 hours to watch this **** show.
Games like this are why many people think pro athletes are overpaid. Who else can mail it in at work and still collect a massive paycheck?
Last edited by hoosierguy; 01-01-2014 at 09:48 PM.
I think we just need to credit the Raptors for this win. Yeah, all our starters stunk tonight, but gotta give credit to the Raptors for capitalizing on the turnovers and just making shots in the 4th to pull away for the win.
PG and Lance showed their youth tonight. Frustration kicking out and totally taking out their game. And I think Vogel should have kept Danny and CJ Watson a little longer.
A few thoughts from me.
1. Pacers have lost games where opponent couldn't miss (CHI, OKC, POR) and a game where opponent just smashed 'em on the boards (DET). This was a new category: an effort loss. Pacers just never brought the effort from the get-go tonight. They were content to take the court. I don't mean to take credit away from TOR, just calling it like I see it -- too many Pacers didn't show up tonight.
2. Lance's defense troubled me a bit yesterday, but I bit my tongue because he was in foul trouble and limited anyway. Lance played his worst defense of the season tonight. It was truly awful. That can't happen. Bad Lance can show up on offense sometimes...that's fine, it's gonna happen. Bad Lance can't show up on defense, though. There's no excuse for it. Too many things to point out, but getting stuck under every screen on God's green earth is a starting point.
3. Paul George...c'mon man. You're gonna have games where you miss shots, that's fine. But by all accounts, on both ends, that was just a lazy, sloppy game. You gotta stay engaged, and find the fire somewhere. I don't think Paul has had an overall game this bad all season.
4. Roy Hibbert doesn't help the issue when 3 or 4 of his 6 fouls were totally avoidable. Usually Hibbert plays smart. He picked up a ton of dumb, avoidable fouls tonight, though. Again, just unfocused play, mostly. He knows it. Doubt it happens with any regularity going forward.
5. David West just looks tired to me. I thought so yesterday, thought so again tonight. He had a couple instances where he was just caught standing flat-footed under the basket, rebounder skated right by him and grabbed an easy board. Shot was short all night. What was weird is that I've never seen West play this indecisive before. He really didn't look to be confident when he had the ball tonight. Not going to chalk it up to anything but maybe being tired, but I hope the indecisiveness doesn't become a thing. No reason to believe it will, but it was so odd to see from him.
6. Ian Mahinmi picks up at least 2 fouls per game just because his name isn't Roy Hibbert.
7. I saw a lot of people complaining about refs in the game thread. As I said there: folks, Area 55 could have officiated this game and the result would be the same, given the lack of effort from the Pacers.
8. It's important to remember that this is atypical from this team. Usually, they're scrapping, playing smart, avoiding fouls, making generally sound basketball decisions. They played a dumb, sloppy, lazy basketball game tonight. I guess that happens sometimes. Hopefully not again for a while. The challenge now is to take a long hard look at WHY this happened, and ensure players don't repeat mistakes. Need to get Lance re-focused on defense, maybe recalibrate how/when Danny is used now that he's rounding into form and shape, need to make sure Paul George understands games are there to be won, not fill highlight reels.
9. I haven't even looked at who the Pacers play next, but I bet they win by 20+. I trust this team.
Blowing so many teams and finally having a decent contender can give you this type of games, blowing people out doesn't teach you s*** and can actually hurt you, Pacers haven't had a true close game in a while.
Paul was jacking around out there, but I will take the good with the bad. He and Lance will be focused against better teams when it really matters. But one thing to keep in mind that every one of these games is important to retain home court...which really is crucial.
Toronto's been playing very well. DeRossen ran off screens very well, frustrating Lance and PG to the point of sad kittens. Roy's foul trouble was obviously a major factor, since his offense was having an effect early on. The bench didn't shoot well because of Watson and Scola but they certainly outplayed the starters though the Raptors outplayed them all. Great effort from them, and now I don't know what to think about how bad Casey is at coaching.
Ian Report: He missed some free throws and had the occasional issue with the Raps offensive rebounding. His defense was pretty stellar though, as he got his hands on a lot of balls, blocked at least three shots (getting credit for one), and outshooting everyone (2-2). Not that Ian would have fully changed the game, but I do think Frank made a mistake first bringing Roy back too early and then going with the West/Scola combo to try to get back into it. In addition to not being able to protect the rim, they both recovered SUPER slowly on pick and roll coverage. No coincidence that the Raptors got comfortable taking the ball to the basket and blowing up the lead after Ian/Roy fully went out. I didn't really see the technical with Hansbro, but it seemed like BS at the time. The refs are still hatin'. Also, I think Ian was given a turnover for that awful pass from PG. Even the scorekeeper hates Mahinmi. A-