Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really think the Giants job is what Cowher is really waiting for if he were to ever return.

Agreed 100%. If he doesn't show any interest in it when it finally opens up, then I think it's pretty clear that he likely won't ever coach again. You can't really find a better job than that.

This makes way more sense now

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...caldwell-talk/

Lions asked Tony Dungy if he wanted job, before Caldwell talk

One of the things that sold the Lions on new head coach Jim Caldwell was the glowing recommendation of former Colts and Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy.

But before the Lions went there, they had to know if Dungy himself would be interested in the job.

Dungy told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that was among the first questions Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew asked, and he quickly dismissed it.

“He said, ‘I got to start this off, are you interested at all?’” Dungy said. “And I said, ‘No, Martin, I’m not.’ And then we went on. We were able to talk about what we needed to talk about.”

While the perception of many — and perhaps the correct one — is that the Lions settled for Caldwell, aiming high couldn’t hurt.

Caldwell worked for Dungy, and was his hand-picked successor, going 26-22 in three years with the Colts.

Dungy said he talked to Mayhew shortly after Jim Schwartz was fired, and spoke several times to team vice chairman Bill Ford Jr.

“One time we had a phone conversation and we just talked about what they were looking for,” Dungy said. “I really talked more to Mr. Ford about [Steelers chairman] Dan Rooney and the way Dan went about his search. Dan’s hired three coaches in 40-some years. They haven’t been big-name guys when they’ve been hired, but they fit the profile of what he was looking for, and that’s all I told Bill. I said I think from talking to Martin you’ve got a profile, you know what you’re looking for, get the guy who fits that. Don’t worry about what the media thinks, what the fans think, what anybody else thinks. Fill your profile and you’re going to be fine, and I think that’s exactly what they’ve done.”

Of course, Dungy would have filled a different profile, but it would have been a slightly higher one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat, your thoughts about the hire and if he's gonna be a good fit?

I am curious to see how he will do with another head coaching gig. I also think the jury is still out for him. Many Indy fans and journos were saying yesterday that in Indy he was hamstrung by Polian.
    The only thing he has going for him here is Dungy's endorsement (he's every Lions fan's dream coach). Otherwise, everyone hates the hire.

Caldwell will be judged (aside from wins) on how he gets Matthew Stafford to be a more consistent QB. That was the prerequisite of any Schwartz replacement.

I think he comes off as a very nice guy, he fits the personality profile, but I'd be lying if I said I was doing backflips over this. I just don't hate it as much as most.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-15-2014 at 01:41 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I will say this, just because Caldwell is a nice guy doesn't mean he is a pushover. Two examples I know about do show he is willing to make changes. While Ron Meeks may have willingly stepped down as the Colts DC in the press it wasn't because he wanted to and it wasn't at the request of Polian. For a number of years we watched Howard Mudd drive his gator like a crazy man around camp and actually at time it was dangerous. Tony D. never said anything to him and I do know that a few of the coaches were not happy about it. First camp with Caldwell in charge and Howard had slowed way down. I do know Caldwell and Mudd had a discussion about safety and setting examples. Just saying.... the Lions are getting a nice guy yes, but he's not so quiet he won't get his point across.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...well/#comments

Peyton Manning called Lions to endorse Jim Caldwell

The Colts' Peyton Manning and Jim Caldwell talk on the field prior to an NFL football game in Indianapolis

Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew talked to a lot of people during his coaching search.

But the unsolicited call he took from Peyton Manning helped convince him that Jim Caldwell was the right guy.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Mayhew almost didn’t pick up the call because he didn’t recognize the number, but did, and got a testimonial about how much Caldwell can help.

Now, that teaching power will be turned toward Matthew Stafford, in hopes of eliminating the mistakes that helped torpedo this season.

“He’s going to be very hands-on,” Mayhew said. “He’s going to have a quarterback coach trained on the things that he wants done, and he’s still going to be very hands-on even though he’s the head coach in terms of developing Matthew. And that’s one thing that we talked about in the interview that really impressed me about him and one thing that I was excited about was that he’s not going to delegate that to somebody and step back and say, ‘I’m the head coach, I’m the overseer.’ ”

In preparation for his interview, Caldwell watched all of Stafford’s throws from last season, and met with his new quarterback during his interview with Lions officials.

“I’ve got to look at him further, I’ve got to dig down a little bit deeper, I’ve got to get a real good sense of things,” Caldwell said. “But for the most part, here’s what we know: We do have a set of parameters which we use in terms of teaching and coaching quarterbacks that we know works and I’m anxious and excited about giving him an opportunity to kind of work within those parameters and I think you’re going to see improvement from the onset.

“He’s a willing guy, he’s capable, he has an immense amount of talent and we’ve just got to bring that to the forefront.”

If that teaching was good enough for Manning, it ought to be good enough for Stafford.

Apparently Dwight Freeney called too.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

http://www.freep.com/article/2014020...jim-bob-cooter

Report: Detroit Lions to hire Jim Bob Cooter as quarterbacks coach

New Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said today he expected the team to hire a quarterbacks coach despite his own experience with the position, and it appears as if the team has found its man.

According to CBS Sports, the Lions plan to hire Denver Broncos assistant Jim Bob Cooter as the next quarterbacks coach.

Cooter, who worked on new Lions coach Jim Caldwell’s staff with the Indianapolis Colts in 2009-11, told the Free Press at the Super Bowl last week that he sent Caldwell a congratulations text after he was hired but the two hadn’t talked about reuniting in Detroit.

“He’s a calm, confident leader,” Cooter said of Caldwell. “He knows what he’s talking about and I think anytime those guys encounter someone that knows what he’s talking about, that earns respect from the players, in my view. And he definitely fits that bill.”

Cooter played in six games as a backup quarterback at Tennessee and was a graduate assistant at the school in 2007-08.

He’s never been a position coach in the NFL, but worked closely with quarterbacks in Indianapolis, Denver and with the Kansas City Chiefs as an offensive quality control assistant in 2012.

Lombardi spent five seasons as the quarterbacks coach with the New Orleans Saints and Caldwell was Peyton Manning’s long-time quarterbacks coach in Indianapolis before becoming head coach.

Still, Lombardi said there would be a benefit to having a quarterbacks coach to work directly with Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.

“I certainly would like one,” he said. “Clearly, Coach Caldwell has a ton of experience with that and I’ve been doing that the last seven years in New Orleans. But there is a lot of work that goes into a coaching staff and I think one of these Hall of Fame quarterbacks was talking about there are a lot of different quarterback coaches and what they bring, so if you can find a talented guy to come into that position I think it’s always helpful.”

Lombardi said he doesn’t fear there being too many voices for Stafford in the quarterbacks room.

“I think it’s important that Jim and I and the quarterback coach are all on the same page,” he said. “And it’s kind of a process. We had something similar in New Orleans. Sean (Payton) knew certainly a lot about coaching quarterbacks, Pete Carmichael had been the quarterbacks coach before I became the quarterbacks coach and he moved on to coordinator, so there were three voices there. But I learned from Sean and Pete, and Pete had learned from Sean and so we all spoke the same language. There wasn’t any pull.

“We’re going to have the same situation here. I’m sure those relationships will evolve a little bit, but there’s a process to playing quarterback and that process is going to start Day 1 of the off-season when Matthew gets in here and I guarantee Coach Caldwell, myself and the quarterbacks coach, we’ll be on the same page as how we want that process to go. The language that we’re using with him, all those things will be consistent.”

Jim Bob Cooter?

Jim Bob Cooter.

God damn my name is so boring.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

He was the QB coach here in Indianapolis too