Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...who has to be said, didn't bother to change the code name of Gruden's plays even if he had left them and faced them in the SB.

I am not an expert to judge him as a coach and sure if he remained in the league for so many years, he must had been of some worth (plus the SB win) but if you are gonna sing his praises you should also mention the records he had after the SB win. Out of the 6 seasons, he had 3 losing ones and out of the other 3 he had 2 playoff births.

I think he gave an absolutely necessary push (or even re-modeling if you like) on offense for Tampa to win the SB but let's not pretend he inherited a shambles of a club when he went there.
    Look at who he had playing QB those seasons. The old Jeff Garcia was probably his best qb in Tampa.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Done deal.

Good for Jim.

Was going to edit the post with the update but it wouldn't let me

This has Dungy's fingerprints all over it

I think he'll make Stafford better but that's about it.

he's happy, I think.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

This is why I tell people who think Pagano needs to go that sometimes the next option isn't the better one

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They go from having a coach who wanted to brawl with Jim Harbaugh and yelled f bombs at fans to one who has the emotion of a scarecrow. I'd prefer some middle ground.

He did get the Colts to as many Super Bowls in three years as Dungy did in seven (though obviously didn't win it), and I do think that he deserved another chance after the success he had as Baltimore's offense coordinator during their Super Bowl run. It wouldn't have really been fair to him if his final head coaching season was a miserable Colts roster with Collins/Painter/Dan O. as his quarterbacks. You can't win with that garbage and Caldwell was definitely set up to fail that year. The year before, we won the division with a lot of injuries. That was Manning's final season and he went through that big slump. It's pretty fair to assume that the injury was probably getting to him at that point.

That being said, I just like a coach who shows some emotion. A team takes on the personality of its head coach. You don't have to be Jim Harbaugh (though I love his style because his energy rubs off on the entire team), but you have to get a little fired up out there. No one will ever confuse Dungy or Pagano with Harbaugh, but they show more emotion and fire than Caldwell ever did. You have to yell a little bit and get animated out there.

Regardless, this is a great opportunity for him because there is a lot to work with in Detroit. If he has what it takes to be a consistently successful NFL coach, then he should be able to do well there. I'm curious to see how it works out. He always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and I wish him well.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This is why I tell people who think Pagano needs to go that sometimes the next option isn't the better one

Schwartz had to go. The guy was 29-51 in five years with Detroit. I don't see how anyone could say that he wasn't given a fair chance. He did get them to the playoffs in 2011, but they followed it up with a 4-12 season. Some owners would have fired him after that, but the Lions gave him a fair chance to right the ship this year. But even with Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler hurt, the Lions still couldn't win a division that was basically gift wrapped to them. Schwartz had to go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Schwartz had to go. The guy was 29-51 in five years with Detroit. I don't see how anyone could say that he wasn't given a fair chance. He did get them to the playoffs in 2011, but they followed it up with a 4-12 season. Some owners would have fired him after that, but the Lions gave him a fair chance to right the ship this year. But even with Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler hurt, the Lions still couldn't win a division that was basically gift wrapped to them. Schwartz had to go.
    I agree in this case Schwartz had to go but this isn't really an upgrade either(I think he'll make Stafford better but that's about it)

Bah

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I agree in this case Schwartz had to go but this isn't really an upgrade either(I think he'll make Stafford better but that's about it)

Yeah, I thought they'd have a more interesting hire since there are a lot of appealing pieces to work with there, plus the ownership clearly shows patience with its coaches (almost to a fault).

Can't help myself but I'll always root for Jim Caldwell. Some of my family (Uncles/Aunts) from out of state stopped by Colts camp one time and I was showing them around after practice during lunch time. Coach was coming out of the dining hall as we were entering and I quickly introduced them just an after thought they might get a kick out of it. Coach Caldwell proceeded to talk with them for about a half hour just to be a nice guy. Didn't have to do it, but I think it was courtesy just for me. Just a down to earth guy whose emotions were pretty much spot on with Slick's poster from above.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

It pains me to say it but he got the last laugh last season when he did end up winning an SB with the Ravens and beat us along the way.

That trip to New Orleans ended better than the other one...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

It pains me to say it but he got the last laugh last season when he did end up winning an SB with the Ravens and beat us along the way.

That trip to New Orleans ended better than the other one...

He's been a big part of two of the last four Super Bowls: Colts' HC in 2009 and the Ravens OC in 2012. I remember him getting a lot of credit for Baltimore turning their offense around when he replaced Cam Cameron. Clearly the guy knows a thing or two about successful NFL offenses. So I don't think that it's a bad hire since Stafford needs to get back to the basics and fundamentals. Caldwell is a good guy for that. If I were a Lions fan, I'd prefer someone who was a little more animated, but I can see why the Lions' top brass wanted a more calm personality after Schwartz.

I do think that a better coach could have gotten more than 2 wins in 2011, but the Manning injury and beyond awful replacement quarterbacks were obviously more at fault for that than Caldwell. Ultimately, the circumstances and front office set him up to fail. He deserves another chance.

Mood

I believe that he has learned from his previous time as a HC and hopefully this experience will be better...
    Why so SERIOUS

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I just sent out an, "I'm so sorry" text to some of my die hard Lions friends.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'd love to have their defensive front 7. Megatron, and Stafford as cornerstones.

Of course, all of their players need it drilled into their heads to play with some degree of intelligence. Nobody gets less with more than Detroit, and often it is the stupid penalty or ill-timed mistake that makes everything unravel.

I can't imagine Caldwell reigning them in though. They would seem to need more of a tough-minded Jim Harbaugh type, a "do it my way or else" coach.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

At least Jim Caldwell is some-what qualified to be a head coach now. Unlike his last head coaching gig.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I believe that he has learned from his previous time as a HC and hopefully this experience will be better...
    Not having to deal with anyone with the last name Polian is a marked improvement

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Caldwell needs to fire his agent and just pay 10% to Tony Dungy. Dungy's endorsement has now gotten him two head coaching gigs. I don't think there's another ex-coach in the NFL that holds as much weight as he does.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-14-2014 at 04:52 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Caldwell needs to fire his agent and just pay 10% to Tony Dungy. Dungy's endorsement has now gotten him two head coaching gigs. I don't think there's another ex-coach in the NFL that holds as much weight as he does.
    Bill Walsh. I guess not today as its been so long, but damn this coaching tree:
    http://www.myveryownsportsblog.com/w...achingTree.jpg

Oh you have connections to Bill Walsh? Congrats on the job!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    At least Jim Caldwell is some-what qualified to be a head coach now. Unlike his last head coaching gig.
    How?

He was a crap College coach and a crap coach in the NFL i dont understand why people keep hiring retreads.
    Last edited by Hypnotiq; 01-15-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kstat, your thoughts about the hire and if he's gonna be a good fit?

I am curious to see how he will do with another head coaching gig. I also think the jury is still out for him. Many Indy fans and journos were saying yesterday that in Indy he was hamstrung by Polian.

Speaking of Dungy......I wonder how much money he could command if he ever decided to return to coaching (which I don't think he will)? I'd say that him, Bill Cowher, and Jon Gruden are definitely the three biggest names out there. Teams would roll out the red carpet for any of those three.

It will be very interesting to see who takes over the Giants when Coughlin decides to hang it up. That is obviously a premier job. Great ownership, history of success, fan base, city, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Speaking of Dungy......I wonder how much money he could command if he ever decided to return to coaching (which I don't think he will)? I'd say that him, Bill Cowher, and Jon Gruden are definitely the three biggest names out there. Teams would roll out the red carpet for any of those three.

It will be very interesting to see who takes over the Giants when Coughlin decides to hang it up. That is obviously a premier job. Great ownership, history of success, fan base, city, etc.
    I really think the Giants job is what Cowher is really waiting for if he were to ever return.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: