Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

Default Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...well/#comments

Report: Lions considering Jim Caldwell

Add former Colts head coach Jim Caldwell to the list of names mentioned in connection with the Detroit Lionsí head coaching vacancy.

Caldwell, currently the Ravensí offensive coordinator, is thought to be on the Lionsí list, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

The pros for Caldwell in Detroit are easy to see. For starters, his experience as an assistant is with coaching quarterbacks and receivers, and coordinating pass-first offenses, and the Lions want a coach who can take Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson and turn them into the focal points of a high-scoring offense. Thereís also the fact that Caldwell has been the head coach of a team that got to the Super Bowl in Indianapolis, and a high-ranking assistant on Super Bowl-winning teams with both the Colts and the Ravens. He has experience with winning teams.

But the problem is that Caldwell hasnít yet shown that he can be a successful head coach without a great quarterback already in place. When Caldwell had Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010, he went 14-2 and 10-6. But when Caldwell lost Manning to a neck injury in 2011, his team collapsed to 2-14. The Lions donít need a coach who can win with a fully formed franchise quarterback like Manning. The Lions need a coach who can take Stafford and turn him from what he is now (a talented but error-prone passer) into a franchise quarterback.

The Lions would love to find a coach who can make Stafford look like Manning. The question about Caldwell as a potential coach of the Lions is whether Manning became the quarterback he is because of Caldwellís coaching, or whether Caldwell was just lucky enough to get hired by a team that had Peyton Manning.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lions considering Jim Caldwell as head coach

I think he deserves a second chance. I know Colts fans will disagree, but I think he could do a lot of good with Stafford.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Rooney Rule.

And LOL.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It might be a good hire. Jim Schwartz was such a douche that the Lions need someone to be a calming influence and help that team mature...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

3 words......Deer In Headlights

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

rofflewaffle Caldwell didn't talk on the sideline!

I don't think it'd be a homerun but I like it culturally. Would like Lovie Smith better but he seems to be the guy in Tampa if he wants it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get ready for plenty of timeouts to be called
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

Oh god Lions fans have been through enough. Come on Universe not this too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Lol, they would be going from a coach who lobbed f bombs to the crowd to one who utters about two words all season.

I don't think that Caldwell is dumb by any means. Look at how the Ravens offense came to life last year after he was hired. And then there's the fact that he went to as many Super Bowls in three years as Dungy did in seven. That being said, I just don't like his personality as a head coach. You don't have to lob f bombs at fans or come close to brawling with Jim Harbaugh like Schwartz did, but you do need to have some fire to you. That's what Caldwell lacked.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-01-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Lions should pay what they need to pay to get Lovie. His defensive philosophy would work perfectly with that defensive line personel. Couple that with a high powered offense that can get a lead (something he never really had w/Bears) and they could really get after opposing QB's.

Caldwell or Kubiak would be great additions at the OC to make that all come together. Same deal. Pay what you need to pay. The Lions have a really good window opening up right now.

After more thought Mike Zimmer would be a great option with that line as well.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 01-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I haven't been following this super closely. Have they tried reaching out to John Gruden? I know that the latest reports say that he wants to stay at ESPN. But he's still a young guy and if he was ever going to coach again, then I'd have to think that Detroit would look like a pretty good gig. He loves working with quarterbacks, and Stafford seems like the perfect project right now. He has obvious talent, but he needs to fix some of the basic fundamentals. Gruden would be the perfect guy to do it, but maybe he just doesn't want to coach right now.

I think they should set their sights higher than Caldwell. Minus the fact that the franchise seems cursed, Detroit is a pretty appealing job and you have to think they could bring a quality name in. Talented young QB, stud receiver, and some solid defensive pieces. Plus the ownership is clearly patient with its coaches and gives them plenty of time to prove themselves. I don't think Jim Schwartz can ever say that he wasn't given a fair opportunity there. Also, if the next coach does win with them, then they will be a God there since Detroit fans are so hungry for success.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he deserves a second chance. I know Colts fans will disagree, but I think he could do a lot of good with Stafford.
    I think so too but that's about the extent of his abilities as an HC I don't think so. But I hear they're interested in Lovie so that might be a better fit.

Might as well just fold the franchise.

I hope he gets the job. And I'm not being sarcastic.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    The Lions would love to find a coach who can make Stafford look like Manning. The question about Caldwell as a potential coach of the Lions is whether Manning became the quarterback he is because of Caldwell’s coaching, or whether Caldwell was just lucky enough to get hired by a team that had Peyton Manning.
    I wish the article would've used this part sooner in the piece. Then I could've stopped reading sooner.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I haven't been following this super closely. Have they tried reaching out to John Gruden? I know that the latest reports say that he wants to stay at ESPN. But he's still a young guy and if he was ever going to coach again, then I'd have to think that Detroit would look like a pretty good gig. He loves working with quarterbacks, and Stafford seems like the perfect project right now. He has obvious talent, but he needs to fix some of the basic fundamentals. Gruden would be the perfect guy to do it, but maybe he just doesn't want to coach right now.

I think they should set their sights higher than Caldwell. Minus the fact that the franchise seems cursed, Detroit is a pretty appealing job and you have to think they could bring a quality name in. Talented young QB, stud receiver, and some solid defensive pieces. Plus the ownership is clearly patient with its coaches and gives them plenty of time to prove themselves. I don't think Jim Schwartz can ever say that he wasn't given a fair opportunity there. Also, if the next coach does win with them, then they will be a God there since Detroit fans are so hungry for success.
    When I listen to Gruden with all his platitudes and lack of depth I can't fathom how he could have had any success at all. He comes across as a cheerleader rather than a smart knowledgeable football guy . I would go with Caldwell any day over Gruden.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    When I listen to Gruden with all his platitudes and lack of depth I can't fathom how he could have had any success at all. He comes across as a cheerleader rather than a smart knowledgeable football guy . I would go with Caldwell any day over Gruden.
    If Gruden didn't work for ESPN no one would want him. He's got a mouth (in a non-derogatory way), and he uses it, he keeps himself relevant. Gruden's a "football guy," and good on him for that, but if he was as coveted as the internet likes to pretend he'd have been gone last year. He just wasn't a very good coach. I like the guy, seems like he'd be fun to play for, but if I'm a GM/owner not a chance in hell I give him the "Super Bowl winner" salary.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

As someone who lives in the Detroit media market, I really don't want to be forced to watch Jim Caldwell's comatose sideline demeanor again. It's bad enough that I have to watch Lions/Browns games--don't force me to relive Caldwell.

I don't have a link, but supposedly the Redskins interviewed (or asked permission to do so) Caldwell as well

I wonder if Irsay gave a positive endorsement of Caldwell just to screw with the other teams. I can't think of any other reason as to why he's getting head coaching interviews.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Oh I can think of another reason why he's being interviewed...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If Gruden didn't work for ESPN no one would want him. He's got a mouth (in a non-derogatory way), and he uses it, he keeps himself relevant. Gruden's a "football guy," and good on him for that, but if he was as coveted as the internet likes to pretend he'd have been gone last year. He just wasn't a very good coach. I like the guy, seems like he'd be fun to play for, but if I'm a GM/owner not a chance in hell I give him the "Super Bowl winner" salary.
    thats just bull. He brought the Raiders back to life and they went to **** shortly after he left. Then he won the SB in Tampa where Dungy couldn't. With Brad Johnson as his qb... Over his former Raiders, which still ran all his systems basically. Gruden was able to win with some pretty meh QBs. Rich Gannon was a journeyman before Gruden got him in Oakland. And he never had a good qb in Tampa.

Gruden is a fantastic coach. Going off what he says on MNF is just a terrible idea. Watch his sit downs with QBs before the draft. They are some of the best sports content on TV. Gruden isn't coaching right now because he doesn't want to. Dude gets paid more by ESPN than pretty much any NFL team would pay him, and the job is infinitely easier. Coaching in the NFL is ridiculous. Why take a job with the 2-14 Texans? If there is a job that he is interested in, and his agent calls, he will be interviewed the next day. But it will be with a team that is trying to get over the hump, not rebuilding from the bottom.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Over his former Raiders, which still ran all his systems basically.
    ...who has to be said, didn't bother to change the code name of Gruden's plays even if he had left them and faced them in the SB.

I am not an expert to judge him as a coach and sure if he remained in the league for so many years, he must had been of some worth (plus the SB win) but if you are gonna sing his praises you should also mention the records he had after the SB win. Out of the 6 seasons, he had 3 losing ones and out of the other 3 he had 2 playoff births.

I think he gave an absolutely necessary push (or even re-modeling if you like) on offense for Tampa to win the SB but let's not pretend he inherited a shambles of a club when he went there.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

thats just bull. He brought the Raiders back to life and they went to **** shortly after he left. Then he won the SB in Tampa where Dungy couldn't. With Brad Johnson as his qb... Over his former Raiders, which still ran all his systems basically. Gruden was able to win with some pretty meh QBs. Rich Gannon was a journeyman before Gruden got him in Oakland. And he never had a good qb in Tampa.

Gruden is a fantastic coach. Going off what he says on MNF is just a terrible idea. Watch his sit downs with QBs before the draft. They are some of the best sports content on TV. Gruden isn't coaching right now because he doesn't want to. Dude gets paid more by ESPN than pretty much any NFL team would pay him, and the job is infinitely easier. Coaching in the NFL is ridiculous. Why take a job with the 2-14 Texans? If there is a job that he is interested in, and his agent calls, he will be interviewed the next day. But it will be with a team that is trying to get over the hump, not rebuilding from the bottom.
    Not to mention those Bucs teams that over achieved with Jeff Garcia at QB. I actually think Gruden is a bit underrated because he's now a tv personality.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not to mention those Bucs teams that over achieved with Jeff Garcia at QB. I actually think Gruden is a bit underrated because he's now a tv personality.

Exactly. I mean in 2005, the Bucs went 11-5 with Chris Simms starting 10 games and Brian Griese the other 6. He won the division in 2007 with Jeff Garcia. They missed the playoffs in 08, but they still went 9-7. The quarterbacks he had to work with in Tampa were pretty bad for the most part.

Gruden would excel if he had Stafford and Johnson to work with. That's why Detroit would roll out the red carpet for him if he was interested.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: