Thread: Has anyone watched Plumlee play?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Has anyone watched Plumlee play?

I haven't caught a Suns' game, and I am wondering how Plumlee is playing. The Suns are ranked 8 on the power rankings of NBA.com, his stats are great, and Plumlee appears on ESPN highlight reels weekly.

Does Plumlee know how to cook crow, and are there some people on this forum he is serving it to?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Has anyone watched Plumlee play?

Yeah, I have watched plenty of him.

He is doing a great job rebounding and his defense is very nice. He uses the verticality rule very well and alters several shots. Offensively, he gets the job done. He did a great job at the beginning of the season establishing himself as a scoring threat. He was able to hit some mid-range jumpers and he scored on the post using his quick feet and a nice right hook. He isn't scoring a lot on the post or from mid-range lately. He scores by being active on the offensive glass and by being the receipient of PnRs or lobs. He is a very nice PnR big. Big, fast and athletic with nice hands. His go-to move in the post is a running right hook in which he tries to take advantage of his quickness and decent touch to score (quite similar to what Joakim Noah does).

All in all, he is playing very nice. He could even be a candidate for the MIP award if it was given in 2nd year players.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is probably going to make the Rookie/Soph AS game, which I never would have thought would happen last season
    David "And One" West

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

It is ironic that Mason, the younger Plumlee, was supposed to be the better of the two brothers by far. Miles wasn't even supposed to be drafted until the pre-draft workouts. Looks like Miles is the better player. You never know how these things work out
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is ironic that Mason, the younger Plumlee, was supposed to be the better of the two brothers by far. Miles wasn't even supposed to be drafted until the pre-draft workouts. Looks like Miles is the better player. You never know how these things work out
    Mason isn't looking bad either. He is one of the lone bright spots in Brooklyn's season. Miles is a much better rebounder than Mason, though.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

I'm happy for him. It's also nice to know that I wasn't completely insane for seeing potential in him.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm happy for him. It's also nice to know that I wasn't completely insane for seeing potential in him.
    Bird saw the potential... Given his track record, if you agreed with Mr. Bird, then you are more likely right than wrong...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Bird saw the potential... Given his track record, if you agreed with Mr. Bird, then you are more likely right than wrong...
    And at least Bird openly acknowledges he screwed up with the Shawne Williams pick, taking full accountability.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Mason isn't looking bad either. He is one of the lone bright spots in Brooklyn's season. Miles is a much better rebounder than Mason, though.
    I liked Mason a lot at Duke. He showed a lot of skill and touch. The only thing that worried me was his ability to defend without fouling. I figured he would be a good 3rd big in the NBA or decent starter. Miles is a complete shock to me I never envisioned him getting this much better at age 25. He really did suck at Duke and it wasn't like he didn't play. He played enough minutes to gauge. Got to give credits to the scouts who got him right. I can't imagine there were more than 10 scouts in the league who though he could be a starting NBA center while he was at Duke.

He was an elite rebounder and a good shot blocker/defender at Duke, he just didn't play enough minutes to put up gaudy stats,

Unnecessary slight at other posters

. We also know he has elite physical gifts, being one of the most athletic seven-footers you'll ever see, meaning his skills would likely translate well to the NBA.

For as great as his track record is, there's no question Mike Krzyzewski severely underutilized Miles. His mistake was Phoenix's gain. Good for them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    And at least Bird openly acknowledges he screwed up with the Shawne Williams pick, taking full accountability.
    Who could we have gotten instead?
    Impossible Is Nothing

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Who could we have gotten instead?
    Rondo wouldn't have been bad. Or Lowry. Hell, Shannon Brown compared to Williams.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Always knew Plumlee would turn out to be something. You're never to old to learn and get better. I don't know why people assume that. At 25 he was likely done growing physically, not mentally.

Default Has anyone watched Plumlee play?

I'm happy for him.

I've only seen 4 full games of him and the only thing that still concerns me is you can't throw the ball to him in the post and say "Make a play", which few 2nd yr big men can do. I just dont know how much skill he truly has or if it's just mostly athleticism. When he does succeed it looks like more luck than anything, which still counts the same.

He mostly looks like a recipient of an athletic team throwing him lobs which anybody can throw down.

His defense however has been REALLY good. Good help side shotblocker and rebounder as well.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Psyren; 12-31-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm happy for him.

I've only seen 4 full games of him and the only thing that still concerns me is you can't throw the ball to him in the post and say "Make a play", which few 2nd yr big men can do. I just dont know how much skill he truly has or if it's just mostly athleticism. When he does succeed it looks like more luck than anything, which still counts the same.

He mostly looks like a recipient of an athletic team throwing him lobs which anybody can throw down.

His defense however has been REALLY good. Good help side shotblocker and rebounder as well.

Just my 2 cents
    He isn't that type of big and never will be. Like you said he isn't very skilled. He is shooting 52% (mostly all dunks and garbage put backs). I am actually shocked his % isn't higher he gets so many easy dunks.

He does have much better hands now then in the past.

There are very few bigs in the NBA who fit that description.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    You say this as Mason is getting spot minutes on the league's most dysfunctional team. A year ago at this time, the only playing time Miles got was in Fort Wayne. If Mason were in a situation like Miles is (all the minutes he can handle on a team that was supposed to be tanking), I'm guessing he would be looking better.

I am beyond shocked that Miles is playing as well as he is now. I think it's awesome too.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not anybody. Try building an athletic team around Roy and have them throw lobs at him. It won't work. Being able to run the floor fast, having good enough hands to catch the ball (sometimes in traffic) and having the overall mobility and body balance to catch and finish in the same motion is a talent as well.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He isn't that type of big and never will be. Like you said he isn't very skilled. He is shooting 52% (mostly all dunks and garbage put backs). I am actually shocked his % isn't higher he gets so many easy dunks.

He does have much better hands now then in the past.

There are very few bigs in the NBA who fit that description.
    Yeah, bigs that can dominate in the post are a rare kind in our days. It's getting better, though. Plumlee is showing some minimal ability to creat in the post on his own but it's mostly Noah-like running hooks and stuff like that. Most bigs in the league can hit the occasional hook or jumper. It's just that only a few of them can do it consistently and have actual post moves (and counters) plus the footwork that is required to pull out those moves.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I haven't caught a Suns' game, and I am wondering how Plumlee is playing. The Suns are ranked 8 on the power rankings of NBA.com, his stats are great, and Plumlee appears on ESPN highlight reels weekly.

Does Plumlee know how to cook crow, and are there some people on this forum he is serving it to?
    I had a wait and see opinion on the Plumlee pick. But I do remember that it was slammed by quite a few people on this board. PMSESPN analyst called it 'beyond comprehension'. I had seen Miles a little as a Sr. and thought he was a nice big body who would be a project NBA guy who may work out. Looks like it was a short project and Bird, not the message boards or PMSESPN, was right.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post: