Thread: Tim Tebow hired as sports analyst for ESPN

Default Tim Tebow hired as sports analyst for ESPN

http://www.people.com/people/article...770739,00.html

Tim Tebow Hired as Sports Analyst But Still Pursuing Football

Tim Tebow has his next football job talking about the sport on TV.

The Heisman Trophy winner has been hired as a college football analyst for the new SEC Network in a return to his Florida glory days, but he still hopes to play quarterback in the NFL.

Tebow will appear on "SEC Nation," a pregame show that will travel to a different campus each week after the channel launches in August. The multiyear deal "will not preclude him from continuing to pursue playing opportunities in the NFL," ESPN, which runs the network, said in a statement Monday.

Tebow did not play in the league in 2013 after he was cut by the Patriots in August. In the span of just over one season, he went from a national sensation who led the Denver Broncos to the playoffs, to a backup, to out of the NFL.

Keep up with your favorite celebs in the pages of PEOPLE Magazine by subscribing now.

"While I continue to pursue my dream of playing quarterback in the NFL, this is an amazing opportunity to be part of the unparalleled passion of college football and the SEC," Tebow said in a statement released by ESPN.

ESPN senior vice president Justin Connolly called Tebow an "SEC icon with a national fan base and broad appeal."

Tebow will make his ESPN debut during pregame coverage of the BCS championship Jan. 6.

After winning the 2007 Heisman and two national championships for the Gators in the SEC, Tebow became one of the biggest stories in the NFL in his second season. He went 7-1 in his first eight starts in 2011 then threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime to give the Broncos a 29-23 playoff win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But he was still dogged by doubts about his passing ability, and Denver traded him that offseason to the New York Jets after acquiring Peyton Manning.

He languished on the bench while coach Rex Ryan ignored fans' calls for Tebow to replace a struggling Mark Sanchez. Tebow threw just eight passes, ran only 32 times and was cut last April 29.

For six weeks no team wanted him until the Patriots signed him to a low-risk, two-year contract with no guaranteed money.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tim Tebow hired as sports analyst for ESPN

There aren't enough jokes in the universe to cover this...

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There aren't enough jokes in the universe to cover this...
    Well, Chris Broussard's sources said that it came down to either Tebow or Katherine Webb for the job. The network decided to go with Tim Tebow to keep Brent Musburger from becoming too distracted. Skip Bayless called the hire a "game changer" for the new network and went on to say that Andrew Luck would be Luck-y if he ever got a broadcasting job once his playing career was over.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Going back to the hand that fed you.

Will ESPN cover Tim Tebow's coverage of college football for ESPN?

"Sources say Tim Tebow has a great 'take' on Alabama coming up tonight on ESPN. Ed Werder, ESPN.'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Never has one man accomplished so much with so little.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Makes me question my accomplishments.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

I never will understand the jokes/hate of Tebow. He was a wildly successful college quarterback, has a few national titles, a degree from a prestigious university and is a strong Christian. If I had a son half as accomplished as this guy I would be beaming with pride.

It isn't his fault the media got goofy with and about him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Tebow.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I never will understand the jokes/hate of Tebow. He was a wildly successful college quarterback, has a few national titles, a degree from a prestigious university and is a strong Christian. If I had a son half as accomplished as this guy I would be beaming with pride.

It isn't his fault the media got goofy with and about him.
    I don't hate Tebow however I don't think he's an NFL caliber QB and saying that doesn't make me a hater. Beyond that I have no issue with him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't hate Tebow however I don't think he's an NFL caliber QB and saying that doesn't make me a hater. Beyond that I have no issue with him.
    Neither do I. The jokes/hatred of him is bizarre. Jason Collins had more support coming out than Tebow does expressing his religion. Sad.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Neither do I. The jokes/hatred of him is bizarre. Jason Collins had more support coming out than Tebow does expressing his religion. Sad.
    You really believe that? I think it means you aren't paying attention to anything other than hand-picked media examples.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I think he has a slight point though I mean Jason Collins's 10 day signing was celebrated because he was gay even though he wasn't really an impressive player to begin with(we're not talking like he was a Shaq talent or anything) and I find it to be a PR stunt. ESPN gives it wall to wall coverage overlooking Deron William's best performance of the season in that same game. Yet people aren't pointing that out.

Tebow is signed by the Jets and Patriots even though he wasn't a great NFL QB and gets wall to wall coverage for ESPN and people complain about why he was signed as a PR stunt(which I agree he was) and he doesn't deserve the coverage and that's actually agreed by most people. How he's cashing in on being a Christian(as if Jason Collins isn't doing the same with his sexuality).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I think he has a slight point though I mean Jason Collins's 10 day signing was celebrated because he was gay even though he wasn't really an impressive player to begin with(we're not talking like he was a Shaq talent or anything) and I find it to be a PR stunt. ESPN gives it wall to wall coverage overlooking Deron William's best performance of the season in that same game. Yet people aren't pointing that out.

Tebow is signed by the Jets and Patriots even though he wasn't a great NFL QB and gets wall to wall coverage for ESPN and people complain about why he was signed as a PR stunt(which I agree he was) and he doesn't deserve the coverage and that's actually agreed by most people. How he's cashing in on being a Christian(as if Jason Collins isn't doing the same with his sexuality).
    Funny, from people around here I get the opposite. Tebow was screwed over and dumped by teams not because of his talent but because he dared to be a Christian, while the only reason Collins is signed for a 10-day contract is for PR.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Funny, from people around here I get the opposite. Tebow was screwed over and dumped by teams not because of his talent but because he dared to be a Christian, while the only reason Collins is signed for a 10-day contract is for PR.
    I think statistics pretty much prove that to be wrong. Tebow is out of the league because he isn't an NFL player, not because of his religion. Tebow and his faith are, however, the butt of many jokes in the media and on message boards like this. Collins, however, is a national hero(according to Michelle Obama) because he announced he is gay. Heck, he got invited to the State of the Union address.

I think the whole state of affairs regarding the situation of both men are sad. FWIW Tebow is a good dude in my book.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The last time Tebow was handed the reins to an NFL team, they made a helluva playoff push and then a memorable playoff run. He has limitations, but to say he isn't an NFL player is wrong. Sometimes people don't fit a mold... and it's hard for observers to grasp.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The last time Tebow was handed the reins to an NFL team, they made a helluva playoff push and then a memorable playoff run. He has limitations, but to say he isn't an NFL player is wrong. Sometimes people don't fit a mold... and it's hard for observers to grasp.
    Mark Sanchez led the Jets to back to back AFC Championship Game appearances, and in 2010 beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road in back to back playoff games while playing some damn good football. But where has he been since then? His future as an NFL QB is certainly up in the air. Sometimes mediocre/bad talents catch some lightning in a bottle and play out of their a** for a little bit, but things always have a way of crashing back down to Earth.

I agree that Tebow doesn't fit the mold......of an NFL quarterback. He can't make the throws. If you can't make the throws, you aren't going to last very long in this league. The best NFL coach of this era, who is known for maximizing his players' strengths, couldn't even make it work with Tebow. He looked absolutely awful with the Pats this year. I generally love your scouting of quarterbacks because I feel that you had the whole Luck vs. RGIII thing nailed perfectly, but I'm a bit puzzled as to how you can quickly write off an entire solid playoff season from RG3, yet at the same time tout a Tebow playoff push from almost three years ago.

Every NFL team and scout has every second of Tebow tape at their disposal. The 2014 season will be the third straight year that none of them have thought he is good enough to start in this league.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-25-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's the jets. They ended both of their careers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It's the jets. They ended both of their careers.
    Rex Ryan is a solid coach. The Jets got to the AFC Title Game in each of Sanchez's first two seasons. It's not their fault that he turned into a terrible decision maker who couldn't throw. As far as Tebow is concerned, the Jets have little to do with him not playing right now. Any scout analyzing Tebow is going to go straight to the 2011 Denver tape from when he was actually playing, and so far they don't like what they see.

Your own signature perfectly describes the likes of Sanchez and Tebow. They are the types of QB's who have just enough talent to mess around and confuse people for a bit, but eventually the Shield figures those types of QB's out. They just aren't good enough to make the throws.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Rex Ryan is a solid coach. The Jets got to the AFC Title Game in each of Sanchez's first two seasons. It's not their fault that he turned into a terrible decision maker who couldn't throw. As far as Tebow is concerned, the Jets have little to do with him not playing right now. Any scout analyzing Tebow is going to go straight to the 2011 Denver tape from when he was actually playing, and so far they don't like what they see.

Your own signature perfectly describes the likes of Sanchez and Tebow. They are the types of QB's who have just enough talent to mess around and confuse people for a bit, but eventually the Shield figures those types of QB's out. They just aren't good enough to make the throws.
    The league never really figured out Tebow, though. I mean, look at the timeline. He took them on a playoff run --- and was replaced by arguably the greatest QB of all time. The Jets (and I don't necessarily agree about Rex, he knows techniques and is better suited as a coordinator or something, he's had some real head-shakers) inexplicably bring him in to do who knows what, they mess his head up a little bit, and then he goes and backs up the other greatest QB of all time in NE the next year.

It's been bizarre, but he never really played himself out of a job. He got it done in Denver, set the NFL world on fire with Tebow-mania, the future looked somewhat doable, then bam Peyton goes on the market and what are ya gonna do.... got messed up in the Jets debacle of an organization mostly against his wishes, and most people at the time admitted it was a terrible fit, it was doomed to fail from the start, and then of course he'd find no playing time behind Brady. Then, outta the league. And I fail to say that Tebow showed his ineptness just because he got smoked by the New England Patriots in his first playoff run. Many great QBs can say the same thing. Manning looked like a rookie and our own Andrew Luck was just handed a loss against that same NE team last month in his final game of the season.

I know that there's more to playing QB than just being able to throw the ball well. Our guy Luck not only is a great leader and has all the intangibles, but he can also throw the ball. He's the whole package... It's why he's the greatest prospect in decades. But whole packages are rare in this league, and most teams have to get by with guys who possess 2 out of 3 or whatever. Some guys can throw like there's no tomorrow, but lack almost every other intangible. Tebow is the opposite... he has intangibles out the wazoo. He rallies the troops like few others, and is one of the greatest young leaders I've seen in recent years, shows the ability to improv and has a little clutch gene in him --- but he's not exactly the world's best passer. But........... but........... he could make throws when he needed to. He needs a good team, one that fits his style, and one that will work on his throwing. I still think the guy could've gone on to some wins in this league. Please don't mistake me for indicating that Tebow could've been on the level of Manning/Brady/Luck, I'm far from that. I'm just saying, I think the guy could've been the front-man for some middling team out there and kept them competive at times, which is saying something in this league. And he likely would've filled a lot of empty seats, let's face it, he was magnetic... he was interesting. And you don't win in this league by pure luck. Just like Sanchez wasn't always known for the Butt Fumble. Sometimes guys get a little bit ruined. Sanchez showed promise for a young guy in his first few years. He looks worse. He looks like a man who's been messed up and rattled. And the Jets are a bit of a joke these days. I honestly believe, had Sanchez landed in a little more grounded environment with a good support system around him, he might not look like the wreck he was last year. Bruce Arians probly could shape Sanchez into something serviceable. Just depends on the pieces around a guy.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-25-2014 at 11:43 PM.

I think statistics pretty much prove that to be wrong. Tebow is out of the league because he isn't an NFL player, not because of his religion. Tebow and his faith are, however, the butt of many jokes in the media and on message boards like this. Collins, however, is a national hero(according to Michelle Obama) because he announced he is gay. Heck, he got invited to the State of the Union address.

I think the whole state of affairs regarding the situation of both men are sad. FWIW Tebow is a good dude in my book.
    Most people looking at it through the glass of their own convictions seldom pay attention to statistics.

I will say, though, that Collins is the first gay US professional athlete to come out in public. Tebow is neither the first openly Christian player nor even the first to give public thanks after a positive event on the playing field - only the one who took the longest and therefore directly affected the game.

From my observation, the jokes about Tebow were about the METHOD of his expression, not the expression itself. Sort of like an intelligent person being able to distinguish cracking on Collins for being a PR stunt vs. cracking on Collins for being gay (or even for having the guts to publicly say so).
    BillS

I don't hate Tebow, I hate the media's coverage of him. There is a difference. That's not fault of his own, sure, but he was a great college QB/terrible NFL QB that somehow garnered this insane media coverage that he didn't deserve. It was as if after Favre retired, ESPN decided they needed to turn the attention that threw at him over to someone else and Tebow was that guy.

Remember that one time at Jets camp he ran without a shirt in the rain? ESPN ran that clip in the ground. Nothing newsworthy about it, it was just Tebow doing something besides breathing.

I think some people turn their hatred of ESPN's coverage of Tebow into hatred of Tebow. I think he's a stand up dude who couldn't throw the football and still hasn't accepted that yet. More power to him for his faith and all that, but a 3rd string QB doesn't deserve that kind of media coverage.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post: