Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Thread

Default Re: Playoff Thread

To me Peyton is not out of the woods yet. I think he has to win this game for his playoff legacy to be secure. If he makes a timely turnover or pick in the 4th quarter or something that costs Denver the game you know what the story line will be again. Just win Peyton and shut all the critics up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

San Diego and New England both completely failed to hit Peyton. If you don't lay a finger on Peyton, you're dead. The Colts were able to beat the Broncos in October because they got to Peyton and Mathis hit him. Obviously it's easier said than done, but I think that Seattle will certainly make things much more difficult for Peyton than San Diego and New England. Peyton could wear the same 18 uni that he wore against the Pats on Sunday. I don't think there was a spec of dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me Peyton is not out of the woods yet. I think he has to win this game for his playoff legacy to be secure. If he makes a timely turnover or pick in the 4th quarter or something that costs Denver the game you know what the story line will be again. Just win Peyton and shut all the critics up.
    Well he never was out of the woods to begin with it only appears that way because Sherman has taken the spotlight from Manning for the postgame.

Again? This narrative was never over to begin with and he's already won an SB go figure. And even if the Broncos win they will find something else he has to do in order to prove to the world he's a good QB.

Because apparently the past decade and a half wasn't proof enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Well he never was out of the woods to begin with it only appears that way because Sherman has taken the spotlight from Manning for the postgame.

Again? This narrative was never over to begin with and he's already won an SB go figure. And even if the Broncos win they will find something else he has to do in order to prove to the world he's a good QB.

Because apparently the past decade and a half wasn't proof enough.
    As ridiculous as it sounds, I think one more SB win will be enough for much of the media to proclaim him the GOAT. Without another SB win and I don't think he's in the discussion from most analysts. That's how big this game is for his legacy. They were just talking about this on ESPN and they pretty much said what I just said.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

As ridiculous as it sounds, I think one more SB win will be enough for much of the media to proclaim him the GOAT. Without another SB win and I don't think he's in the discussion from most analysts. That's how big this game is for his legacy. They were just talking about this on ESPN and they pretty much said what I just said.

I agree. There is a big difference between one Super Bowl title and two Super Bowl titles. A lot of quarterbacks have won one Super Bowl, but only a handful have won multiple rings. Peyton will be in an elite class if he seals the deal in the Meadowlands. Most importantly, he will have unquestionably pulled off the greatest quarterback season in NFL history. Add that to the fact that he is coming back from an extremely severe injury that left even him in doubt about his future, and it will make one hell of a story.

The ring seven years ago means that he will always be a champion and you can never take that away from him. But to win another one at his age in a season where he put up these beyond obscene numbers, and it will be enough for quite a few people to consider him the GOAT.

Well ESPN is ridiculous so that makes sense. This "can he win the big one" narrative has been outdated for years or should've been but not for Manning apparently. That's what I don't get I mean he's going to play in his 3rd SB there are great QBs who never even played in one let alone win but apparently he can't get it done in big games go figure.

And winning this game won't proclaim him the fabled GOAT discussion because he would only have 2 rings... they'll make up some other narrative of how he has to win 3 to even breathe the same air as the other possible "GOAT" QBs.

The only thing they can't dispel if he wins on Super Bowl Sunday is that he would be the first QB to lead two different teams to win an SB.

Winning two also removes the whole Eli has more argument. I wonder where he'd fall on the oldest list.

It's just really impressive to think the debate on whether or not he's the GOAT has been going on for 10 years with Peyton adding arguments to each side throughout.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Winning two also removes the whole Eli has more argument. I wonder where he'd fall on the oldest list.

It's just really impressive to think the debate on whether or not he's the GOAT has been going on for 10 years with Peyton adding arguments to each side throughout.
    Peyton is 37. Elway at 38 is the oldest to ever win and play in a Super Bowl. He also won it at 37. Unitas won it at 37. Warner and Gannon lost it at 37. Every other starting QB in Super Bowl history was younger than 37. I think Peyton will be the second oldest starter ever since he will only be a month and a half away from 38.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A win would also set two other records for Peyton that will most likely stand the test of time. He would be the first QB to start and win a Super Bowl with two different teams, and he will have gone the longest time between Super Bowl wins.

No that would be Ray Lewis 12 years 2000 and 2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

I think it will very much depend on who is talking. There are quite a few media types who still hold a generally negative world view of everything Manning. They will still point to his .500ish playoff record, one & dones etc. and say that Brady, Montana and their additional SB wins and general clutchness trumps any edge Manning has established statitically or in the regular season.

If pressed I would probably call Manning the GOAT simply because most of those Colt teams he led were pretty flawed. He elevated them above their actual station in a way the Brady's & Montana's rarely had to do.

The one glaring exception to this logic and in my mind Manning's one great failure is the 2005 team that lost at home in the divisional round to the Steelers. That team was very well balanced and easily the best in the league.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    .............. Manning the GOAT ..........
    GOAT-ITRS. (In the regular season). His post season performances were usually quite disappointing. Even the year the Colts won the SB, his numbers were average. Lots of reasons / theories on why, but facts are facts. 11-11 in the playoffs is average, mediocre, bleh.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    No that would be Ray Lewis 12 years 2000 and 2012
    Ray Lewis would be the starting QB with the longest time between wins? News to me...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Ray Lewis would be the starting QB with the longest time between wins? News to me...
    My bad I read it again and realized you meant QBs in which case you would be correct

I was thinking of players overall.

^^ Really ?? C'mon Reg.

I think he raises a valid point I mean remember Bart Scott's interview after the Jets upset the Pats in Foxboro a few years back talking about how he can't wait, how the Pats D couldn't stop a nosebleed.

I don't recall a lot of outrage there and Sal Pal was there handling it effectively at least compared to Erin Andrews.

Or how about when Namath was drunk wanting to kiss Suzy Kolber but she handled that like a pro as well.

Richard Sherman does this with Erin Andrews and some people are quick to label him a thug(despite having no off the field issues) and using the n-word.

I mean its one thing to think he's a jerk but the racist remarks towards him said more about them than they did about Sherman.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

So - what does Andrews being the 'reporter' have to do with it ??

(Quotes used because - well - she ain't one, but I digress ...............)

Well I agree I don't find Sideline Barbie impressive from a reporting standpoint and how she handled it played a role into how it was perceived.

Big black scary dude yellin at the TV with a white woman who looked taken aback by the whole thing standing next to him.

That's what Reggie is stating here.

Pam Oliver wouldn't have reacted that way and if she did it wouldn't have mattered because well she's black and there's not going to be anyone that will act "overprotective" with her.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Richard Sherman was an aggressive, loud mouth, egotistic idiot and Erin Andrews was the bad guy for being caught off-guard? Really? I think most reporters would have been caught off guard there. I thought he was going to start swearing on air. They were smart to cut away immediately.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I don't think anyone believes Erin is the bad guy here I do think she was out of her element but I thought that about her before this took place.

Lack of class does not have a skin color associated with it.

I understand that some used the word "thug" and it has, for some who say it, some racist connections.

I also understand the issues of the heat-of-the-moment on-field interview. But he was still a classless turd 45 minutes later.

Some have made way too much of it, but I still think it was pretty embarrassing, the screaming, the self-promotion, the disrespect, the me-first attitude in a team sport.

Sure he may be intelligent, but it's not too much to expect players to not act like that until PR people give them a talking to, days later
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie Miller is an idiot.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post: