Thread: YOUR Perfect Playoff Format

Sports Logo

Default YOUR Perfect Playoff Format

I would be interested to read various opinions on what the best playoff format would be. I don't care about revenue or what is best for the NBA. I just want to know what YOU would like to see.

The way it is now? Fewer teams? More teams? Byes and/or wild cards?
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 12-29-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Default Re: YOUR Perfect Playoff Format

I like it the way it is. As long as we use a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like it the way it is. As long as we use a 2-2-1-1-1 format.
    Yes I agree I love the way it is now

It's not necessarily a playoff change, but the lotto definitely just needs to be the bottom 14 records, regardless of if they made the playoffs or not. Other than that, I'd make the first round a best of 5, but that's it.

I do think too many teams get in but it's not like you can have less teams get in w/o using byes, and no way on that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only thing I would change to make seeding and regular season more important......(well while we are on seeding stop with the division winner seed crap sure guarantee a playoff spot for winning your division but other than that does anyone in the NBA care about divisions? I mean it isn't the NBA or MLB where division rivals and winning the division is a HUGE deal thus enhances the meaning of division games. In the NBA division games mean little to nothing so eliminate any seeding that is associated to divisions just seed based on records and make the only importance of division be that you get an automatic playoff berth).....ok now that that tangent is out of the way I would do what the NFL does where the top seed plays the lowest remaining seed in the 2nd round up till the finals....so in other words if you are the 1 seed and the 2nd round breaks down like this.....1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, 7 seed.....right now it would be 1 vs. 4 3 vs. 7 make it 1 vs. 7 and 3 vs. 4 so reseed after each round like the NFL does I think that would make seeding more important than it currently is. That and the division BS rewarding you with seeds is the only thing I would change.

First round should be 5 games, but besides that everything is good.

Miami has to win 6 games to advance in a round, Pacers only 3.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Make the division winners the top 3 seeds again, seriously the NBA shouldn't be devaluing the divisions, but trying to increase their value and divisional rivalries. Sport leagues at every level thrive on rivalries, so why does the NBA seem to not care about them? Go back to the first round being only 5 games, the casual viewers biggest complain about the NBA playoffs is the length. When playing two games in a row in the same location they are never more than 1 day apart. I agree with the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

First round best of 5, reseed after each round, teams play every other day during a series

Basketball is a rhythm game, so a bye for an entire week or more would never work.

They should eliminate conferences. Seed the best 16 teams by record. This insures that the best teams make the playoffs. There could be 4 sub 500 ECF playoff teams this year, which is a joke
    David "And One" West

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    They should eliminate conferences. Seed the best 16 teams by record. This insures that the best teams make the playoffs. There could be 4 sub 500 ECF playoff teams this year, which is a joke
    Its been the other way around before, for a while there they were saying the west was a joke and they were asking when the west would win another title. It ebs and flows, right now the top draft picks are coming east which in a few years will swing the balance back this way. Remember when the clippers were ALWAYS getting a high draft pick?

Conferences are fine, but divisions are pointless.

Let's ask a question. It's a question that holds a lot (A LOT) more weight because we're as good as we are, but say it's the 2 8 seeds get dumped. 7 seeds in each conference, the 1 gets a bye.

I'm not in favor of this but for the sake of discussion. The 1 gets a bye, plays the winner of the 4/5, and the bottom of the bracket is same as always.
    Like I said, I'm not in favor of it, but it'd make our race with Miami a lot of fun this year.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No bye's, this isn't football, a bye would be a crutch, especially if you're considering a 5/7 game series, that's like 2 weeks of no real game play. We saw what happened with the Pacers in the first half vs the Nets and that was like 3-4 days off.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The main thing I'd add is making the seeds work like hockey and football do after the first round, where highest seed always plays lowest seed in 2nd round. So if 1 beats 8, 2 beats 7, 6 beats 3, 5 beats 4...then 1 would face 6 and 2 would face 5, rather than the other way.

It would have less impact in NBA because usually top seeds are best teams and win anyway, but year Rose got hurt in playoffs, that would've changed things. Think it would've been Heat vs 76ers and Pacers vs Celtics in the second round.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two conferences, no divisions.

Best of 5, every round.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the idea of reseeding after each round, and seeding the teams 1-16 without regard to conference... I'd also vote for a 3-0 series sweep. Gives teams real incentive to bring everything they've got early in the series.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    I would do what the NFL does where the top seed plays the lowest remaining seed in the 2nd round up till the finals....so in other words if you are the 1 seed and the 2nd round breaks down like this.....1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, 7 seed.....right now it would be 1 vs. 4 3 vs. 7 make it 1 vs. 7 and 3 vs. 4 so reseed after each round like the NFL does I think that would make seeding more important than it currently is. That and the division BS rewarding you with seeds is the only thing I would change.
    My thoughts on this are more radical than anything anyone is proposing, but I would settle for this^.

And I never thought I'd ever see Coatesville on here! That's my old address.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    First round best of 5, reseed after each round, teams play every other day during a series

Basketball is a rhythm game, so a bye for an entire week or more would never work.

ok, but what do you do if one teams wins their series in 4 games and the other series ends in 7. Even by your every other day rule the one team would have 1 week off

Pacers advance on a win. Other team must win 4 straight.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden