Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The internet never forgets.
    Really though, that entire thread was comprised pretty much of the same school of thought. With hindsight being what it is, it looks silly now, but at the time, pegging Lance for $8-10 million per season was a pretty big stretch. Hell, at that point we weren't even sure if he was going to start for us this season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think it would be a World B. Free kind of thing, who was an exciting 6th man for the championship contending Celtics before moving on to a scrub team and leading the league in scoring.

With another team, Lance could explode in terms of stats and all-star success. But he wouldn't come nearly as close to getting a ring as he would here.
    Except Free never played for Boston. He was known mostly for playing at Philly and Cleveland. He also played for a couple of other teams as well I think.

Look Lance needs us more then he realizes i would bet my absolute bottom dollar if he went to the some mediocre middle team like the bucks or charlotte for example he would be out of the league in about 3 or 4 years.

im not joking either.

he will be making a very unwise decision if he was to leave this team.
    Last edited by Hypnotiq; 12-29-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Lance is a role player. On any other team his assists get cut in half. His boards are padded because of the way our defense is setup and he is very inconsistent on scoring. Teams would be paying him for his effort every single night but when he is forced to be the 1st or 2nd option they will be left disappointed. I love his game and everything brings. I have enjoyed watching him turn into the player he has become. But he is not the piece to break the bank on. There are a lot of shooting guards that can play defense.

If this team was not competing for a championship now would be the time to trade him in a package with granger and cope.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Wow.
    LeWade are going down.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

I've been thinking 8 mil. I've been hoping 6 mil. But, both could be purely wishful thinking by season end if he continues this tear he's on, especially if he shows consistency.

I do think he will resign here for acouple mil less per year as he is comfortable here and I don't think he is a guy that adapts well. I just hope he realizes that this team has his back and understands him, which I'm sure he does, but those dollor signs and people around him could influence his decision. Who is his agent?

I could be reading into this to much, but I do think he could flop big time going to another team. Especially one that wants him to do more. As great as Lance is, he is his own worst enemy and Frank keeps him under control. Would other coaches have the patience for Lance?

Yes Lance is 23, but he has been here 4 years and still hasn't gotten it yet. I mean, his talent has never been questioned, its always been about playing NBA basketball. I just don't think it would be wise to pay more then 8 mil for any team other then us. Some players change teams and never recover, I think Lance could be leading the pack of those careers around the league if he goes someplace else to soon.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 12-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

That escalated quickly.

Sounds about right. No one is throwing a max contract at a one year wonder with baggage like Stephenson. Lance is more valuable to the Pacers than he is for every other team in the league. Contract offers this offseason should reflect that.

I'm guessing we offer Lance somewhere around $7-8 million with a player option in the last year. Maybe he'll get a million or two less for a couple years but playing on a high level playoff team for a few more seasons will increase his long term value for his next-next contract.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Yes with going over the LT?
    Yes. We would only need to trade Copeland and we would have around 10 million available to offer to Lance (and possibly space for a vet min guy as well).

I really wish that this article is right. If it's anywhere between 7 and 9 million then we can do this easily. The situation will only become tough for us if Lance is offered 12+ million by some team.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yes. We would only need to trade Copeland and we would have around 10 million available to offer to Lance (and possibly space for a vet min guy as well).

I really wish that this article is right. If it's anywhere between 7 and 9 million then we can do this easily. The situation will only become tough for us if Lance is offered 12+ million by some team.
    At 12, don't you have to let him walk and replace him, just like Larry said. I hate it, but it gets to the point where you have to take a step back and think about the overall picture.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Lucky for us, Lance isn't the sharpest tool in the she'd (jk)
    That is a bit harsh and insulting, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    At 12, don't you have to let him walk and replace him, just like Larry said. I hate it, but it gets to the point where you have to take a step back and think about the overall picture.
    I think you resign him to 12 if you are all in for a championship for the next 3 years and you give him a 5 year deal. TO me this has a lot to do with where you think PG will end up and if Lance can surpass that level of play. I am not saying he can but realistically he just might be able to be on that level if he can keep his shooting form consistient. Then you have assets to trade down the road much like the great teams that reload with talent rather than going through a total rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post

I could be reading into this to much, but I do think he could flop big time going to another team. Especially one that wants him to do more. As great as Lance is, he is his own worst enemy and Frank keeps him under control. Would other coaches have the patience for Lance?

Yes Lance is 23, but he has been here 4 years and still hasn't gotten it yet. I mean, his talent has never been questioned, its always been about playing NBA basketball. I just don't think it would be wise to pay more then 8 mil for any team other then us. Some players change teams and never recover, I think Lance could be leading the pack of those careers around the league if he goes someplace else to soon.
    Say Wha?? Lance hasn't gotten it yet? LOL, he is the starting shooting guard on the best team in the East. He is probably going to make the all-star game. I could see about a dozen teams in the league trying to build around this guy. Namely the Lakers, because he has showtime written all over his game, and Kobe is gonna need great passer to continue setting him up over. Lance will end the season averaging near 20 points a game with 5-6 assists and 7-8 rebounds. He is literally turning into a mini-Lebron. Break down the defense? Check. Rebounding? Check. Setting up teammates? Check. Hard nosed defense? Check? Score in bunches? Check. Good Flopper? Check. He is like Lebron James with a Napoleon complex.

Bird said he would let Lance walk if he got better offers. I dont' think so. Bird is not letting this guy get away. He will pay 12 mil all day and think it is a bargain. PG got a max contract after one good season. Lance will most likely be the reason this team wins a championship, because he isn't predictable on offense. He is the X-factor that keeps our team lively on the offensive end.

If Bird let this guy walk, it would be a signal that Simon isn't in it to win a championship and that would send waves through the locker room, and you can be assured that all our core players right now will walk then their contracts are up in a couple of years.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Suggesting letting Lance walk or trade him is borderline insanity. He is one of the best up and coming players in the league. The same level as Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irvin, Damian Lillard, etc. None of those guys are being traded anytime soon.
    David "And One" West

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Say Wha?? Lance hasn't gotten it yet? LOL, he is the starting shooting guard on the best team in the East. He is probably going to make the all-star game. I could see about a dozen teams in the league trying to build around this guy. Namely the Lakers, because he has showtime written all over his game, and Kobe is gonna need great passer to continue setting him up over. Lance will end the season averaging near 20 points a game with 5-6 assists and 7-8 rebounds. He is literally turning into a mini-Lebron. Break down the defense? Check. Rebounding? Check. Setting up teammates? Check. Hard nosed defense? Check? Score in bunches? Check. Good Flopper? Check. He is like Lebron James with a Napoleon complex.

Bird said he would let Lance walk if he got better offers. I dont' think so. Bird is not letting this guy get away. He will pay 12 mil all day and think it is a bargain. PG got a max contract after one good season. Lance will most likely be the reason this team wins a championship, because he isn't predictable on offense. He is the X-factor that keeps our team lively on the offensive end.

If Bird let this guy walk, it would be a signal that Simon isn't in it to win a championship and that would send waves through the locker room, and you can be assured that all our core players right now will walk then their contracts are up in a couple of years.
    There is no doubt that Bird will want to keep Lance around for the long term, as well he should. But there is a point where it just won't be possible. $12 mil per, is probably above that point.

If say, Charlotte offers Lance $48-50 million for 4 years, I think you have to congratulate Lance, and say good luck.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Suggesting letting Lance walk or trade him is borderline insanity. He is one of the best up and coming players in the league. The same level as Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irvin, Damian Lillard, etc. None of those guys are being traded anytime soon.
    He has been great this season. He is not on the same level as those guys. Not at all.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Say Wha?? Lance hasn't gotten it yet? LOL, he is the starting shooting guard on the best team in the East. He is probably going to make the all-star game.
    You realize George Hill has substantially more votes than Lance does? With all the hate Hill gets on this board, and all the love Lance gets Hill is still beating him by 16,000 votes, according to the numbers released 3 days ago. I think that should dampen the, "Lance is probably going to be an all-star" talk. It isn't very likely, not this year at least.

I could see about a dozen teams in the league trying to build around this guy.
    I could see it too, but I think it would be a mistake that doesn't really understand why Lance is able to be successful with the Pacers.

Namely the Lakers, because he has showtime written all over his game, and Kobe is gonna need great passer to continue setting him up over. Lance will end the season averaging near 20 points a game with 5-6 assists and 7-8 rebounds.
    20 ppg really? He is currently averaging under 14ppg.

Bird said he would let Lance walk if he got better offers. I dont' think so. Bird is not letting this guy get away. He will pay 12 mil all day and think it is a bargain.
    So you don't think Bird believes what he says?

PG got a max contract after one good season. Lance will most likely be the reason this team wins a championship, because he isn't predictable on offense.
    You overvalue Lance. This team can win the championship with or without Lance, Lance just makes it easier.

No, it means that someone else offered Lance more money than he is worth. it has no bearing on what Simon thinks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    There is no doubt that Bird will want to keep Lance around for the long term, as well he should. But there is a point where it just won't be possible. $12 mil per, is probably above that point.

If say, Charlotte offers Lance $48-50 million for 4 years, I think you have to congratulate Lance, and say good luck.
    Its more likely that they will sign Lance and trade George Hill to avoid the luxury tax. Not that I am advocating that, but thats what will happen in that situation. Lance is Bird's guy. Honestly Hill is the most replaceable player on the roster. A tween-er guard who can defend? George Hill can easily net this team an expiring contract and a replacement guard.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Its more likely that they will sign Lance and trade George Hill to avoid the luxury tax. Not that I am advocating that, but thats what will happen in that situation. Lance is Bird's guy. Honestly Hill is the most replaceable player on the roster. A tween-er guard who can defend? George Hill can easily net this team an expiring contract and a replacement guard.
    You are making assumptions based on nothing, but your own personal wishes of what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You realize George Hill has substantially more votes than Lance does? With all the hate Hill gets on this board, and all the love Lance gets Hill is still beating him by 16,000 votes, according to the numbers released 3 days ago. I think that should dampen the, "Lance is probably going to be an all-star" talk. It isn't very likely, not this year at least.

Coaches will decide this one

I could see it too, but I think it would be a mistake that doesn't really understand why Lance is able to be successful with the Pacers.

20 ppg really? He is currently averaging under 14ppg.

I said near, I think so I think that means with in 3 points? I pretty sure Lance will get to that point by seasons end.

So you don't think Bird believes what he says?
    Bird says alot of BS, he says it straight, but its still BS.

You overvalue Lance. This team can win the championship with or without Lance, Lance just makes it easier.
    Over Value? When Lance is playing well, the Pacers are blowing teams out. He is the one player that the elite teams can not really game plan for

No, it means that someone else offered Lance more money than he is worth. it has no bearing on what Simon thinks.

It will mean something when Bird goes to Simon and says that Lance has an offer for 12 mil, are you gonna let me match it? Bird will ask, he has no reason not to ask. Bird would love to go over the cap and get all the players he wants. Its Simon who lays out the spending rules.

My answers are in Bold.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You are making assumptions based on nothing, but your own personal wishes of what would happen.
    Of course, its called an opinion. People act like you can't make a statement on what you think will happen anymore.

Lance will have to average just short of 19, from here on out to get his average up to 17pts.

In order to average 17 pts per game, he'd need 1394 total points on the season. He currently has 399, so he needs just about 1000. 1000/53 (# of games left)=18.86. He'll probably end up right around 14-16pts.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Lance would have to average about 23.4 points a game for the rest of the season to finish at 20 per game for the whole season. I'd give him around a 0.1% chance to get there.

I guess when i say "end the season averaging 20ppg" I am speaking to his current play at the time. Not his total for the season. Meaning he will averaging near 20ppg for the last 2 months of the season or so. Tricky syntax there.