Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 140 of 140

Thread: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

  1. #126
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    I mean seriously. Probably the biggest FA signing by the Pacers EVER was for a player coming off a knee injury, who was worth every damn penny of his initial deal and worth every penny from this deal, all over 9M a year and we're going to seriously argue that there aren't players out there coming off knee injuries that are worth 9M?

    Stay strong with those absolutes man, stay strong.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  2. #127
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean seriously. Probably the biggest FA signing by the Pacers EVER was for a player coming off a knee injury, who was worth every damn penny of his initial deal and worth every penny from this deal, all over 9M a year and we're going to seriously argue that there aren't players out there coming off knee injuries that are worth 9M?

    Stay strong with those absolutes man, stay strong.
    Big difference between West's very fixable ACL and Granger's deteriorating, questionably fixable tendenosis.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  4. #128
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big difference between West's very fixable ACL and Granger's deteriorating, questionably fixable tendenosis.
    So DWade isn't worth 9M either? The problem is him using absolutes, trying to say any player coming off a knee injury isn't worth 9M. I can find a list a mile long of players coming off knee injuries who were worth more than that.

    V makes no distinction between types of injuries, which is why I brought up DWest and why he defended his previous comments as opposed to admitting he was wrong on that one or clarifying the difference between knee injuries.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  5. #129
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So DWade isn't worth 9M either?
    Serious question (although I want to point out that I agree with your overall premise--this is more of a tangent than anything else): Would you sign Dwyane Wade to a 5 year contract where he made $9 million per year? That dude already seems like he's playing on borrowed time.

  6. #130
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Serious question (although I want to point out that I agree with your overall premise--this is more of a tangent than anything else): Would you sign Dwyane Wade to a 5 year contract where he made $9 million per year? That dude already seems like he's playing on borrowed time.
    Today? No way. It wouldn't surprise me to see him retire after this season.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  7. #131
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    If Danny plays like he is off the bench with no injuries he will get at least a two year above 6 million. If I were the Suns I would give him a 3 year 8 million dollar deal.

    And Wade would get a similar deal.

    But when looking at Lance his floor is the Mayo (3/24million) deal and his ceiling is the Batum deal (4/46).
    DeRozan is getting 9.5
    Monta got a 3 year $30 deal
    Tyreke Evans got a 4 year 44 million
    J.J. Reddick got a 4 year 26 million
    Dragic 4 year 34 million.

    So to say that his value is 9.5 seems reasonable now. But it may get into Tyreke/Batum level real soon.

  8. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So DWade isn't worth 9M either? The problem is him using absolutes, trying to say any player coming off a knee injury isn't worth 9M. I can find a list a mile long of players coming off knee injuries who were worth more than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today? No way. It wouldn't surprise me to see him retire after this season.

    Oh man I love it when he contradicts himself on the same thread and on the same page lol I thought this was 2014 and not 1985?

  9. #133
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man I love it when he contradicts himself on the same thread and on the same page lol I thought this was 2014 and not 1985?
    Wade's knee injury goes back to his time at Marquette. I wouldn't sign Wade today to a FIVE YEAR deal. If he was a FA after this season and wanted a one year deal worth 9M? Sign me up. (I think he'll retire because he already has 3 rings, and maybe he'll even have 4, so the motivation just might not be there)Would I sign him say in 2007 to a 5yr 9M deal? Yep.

    Do you understand my point about talking in absolutes? I don't think you do, if you think I'm contradicting myself. I'm sure you'll duck that question, so I'll ask my Wade question again, do you think Wade is worth 9M? The silence spoke loud enough the first time.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-08-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  11. #134
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wouldn't surprise me to see him retire after this season.
    Seriously?

  12. #135
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously?
    I don't think he will, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  13. #136
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    I am still flabbergasted with the idea to pay Lance such ridiculous amounts, as much as I am about people gushing about his play, whilst not denying him his talent, there are a few notes to that;
    -He is in his 4th year not his 1st or 2nd, and while indeed still 23 he still needs to grow quite a bit to be worth the amounts you are talking about.
    -He still throws the ball away far too much and even last night severa times dribbles into nothingness, end of possession.
    -He is still very often drifting off on defence, like it or not, half the time he just hawks a possible rebound, or break when his man gets open and he can't recover.
    -Ever since he got more "freedom" in the offense, our offense has ran into a brick wall, stagnating, dribbled to dead etc, we are defeinitely not the offensive machine we were a month ago (we apparently dropped 20pts avg)

    For the amounts you are talking about, you don't have those worries hence i remain anything over 6 mio per year at this moment in time is way to much.
    let's not forget that the new CBA changes the landscape as does the new LT in a large factor, so the contracts you are comparing (signed prior to the new CBA and/or LT) are not really a comparison!

    Danny on the other hand is well ahead of the curve, not only in minutes, but also in offense, and more importantly defense.
    Do I pay DG the same ? if he further improves and stays healthy (barring stubbed toes, runny noses etc) then I would consider that 6 per annum for 2 or 3 year, but I think he may be happy with less and just retire a Pacer, or a Reggie like solution is an option.

    So if we have LS for 6 or even s tiptoe 7 and DG for 3 or 4 we are fine, if DG holds up and gets better than all bets are of, please remember that such gives LB a very nice position to tell both, take it or I go with the other guy.

    Do I think DG will sign for less than he can get on the open market, I think it is possible, not even unlikely, seeing what he has done for the franchise it would not be amazing if he was given a proper chance to retire here.

    Do I think LB wants to keep Lance, sure, but let's not be mistaken, the fact that he said in the same interview that if he gets to expensive we plug someone else in means very clearly he has a limit said, and I personally think it is much less then yours, let's not be mistaken 10 mio a year is possible, but, who do we pay for the rest of the positions?
    What do we do to replace Scola? and with who? Granger and with who?

    seeing how DG played the last few games it wont be so sodding easy to replace him.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  14. #137
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    As much as people want Lance to be set free. If he were the primary option on a far less successful team, his effectiveness might be limited. When coaching staffs plan to primarily stop him, putting the top perimeter defender on him, I do not think that Lance would be as effective. Until his perimeter jump shot is more effective I don't think he is worth 10+. But the market tends to over price young budding players who win. And Lance fits that mold. He may get an Evans deal. But maybe the Evans and Batum deals are giving GMs something to think about.

  15. #138
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,027

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think he will, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    I hope he doesn't retire. Of all things NBA, I am looking forward to DWade losing his hops and getting shut down and embarrassed mercilessly.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  17. #139
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,027

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am still flabbergasted with the idea to pay Lance such ridiculous amounts, as much as I am about people gushing about his play...
    I'm not sure why anyone would be flabbergasted. He leads the team in assists by a long distance, he's 2nd place in scoring, he's 2nd place in FG% and he's about tied with our all-star caliber PF, David West, in 2nd place on the boards...as a SG. You say he still throws away the ball too much, but even his assist to turnover ratio is 2nd place among starters. Help me understand the issue there.

    Roy Hibbert is even calling him an all-star. All stars don't make 6M/yr. Lance may not be an all-star, but he is getting paid 8M or more and anything close to that amount is really a steal. Yes, I'm a Lance supporter, but these are simply the facts.

  18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  19. #140
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,143

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: @EyeOnBasketball: Report: Lance Stephenson could make up to $9 million as a free agent this summer

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure why anyone would be flabbergasted. He leads the team in assists by a long distance, he's 2nd place in scoring, he's 2nd place in FG% and he's about tied with our all-star caliber PF, David West, in 2nd place on the boards...as a SG. You say he still throws away the ball too much, but even his assist to turnover ratio is 2nd place among starters. Help me understand the issue there.

    Roy Hibbert is even calling him an all-star. All stars don't make 6M/yr. Lance may not be an all-star, but he is getting paid 8M or more and anything close to that amount is really a steal. Yes, I'm a Lance supporter, but these are simply the facts.
    I'm "a Lance supporter," only so far as I'm a fan of the team he plays for. He's absolutely worth $8-9 million per year. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a lot more from somebody else, but if we can keep him at that number, it's a hell of a bargain.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •