Thread: Larry Legnd seems right again!

Default Larry Legnd seems right again!

Everyone threw up their arms in frustration and disgust when the Pacers chose an unknown kid from the west coast named Paul George. The so-called experts gave us an "F" draft score because of our pick. The next year the same thing...we picked Miles Plumlee. Boos reigned down on the Pacers. Last night Plumlee, a starter for the Suns, hit 10-14 shots, scored 22 points, 13 boards, 3 blocks, and was the game-long "energy" that pushed the Suns past the 76ers. He plays 30 minutes a game and his season averages are close to Hibbert...10 pts, 9 boards a game. They love him in Phoenix...ladies hold up signs that say "I'm single Miles, call me!" He seems to be the toast of the town for a team that is 18-10 on the year!! Maybe we should have kept Miles and traded Ian......

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NashvilleKat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Legnd seems right again!

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe we should have kept Miles and traded Ian......

The Suns didn't want Ian, who was still owed $12 mil over 3 seasons before the season started. They wanted Miles because he was dirt cheap and had untapped potential.

I doubt that Bird wanted to give Miles up, but you gotta give up something to get a player like Scola. This team needed a proven vet after last year's bench disaster. Both sides got a good deal. Miles is getting far more clock in Phoenix than he would have here.

Miles is playing really well, but I don't think this is going to go down in history as the sequel to the Hornets trading Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac..........
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Everyone threw up their arms in frustration and disgust when the Pacers chose an unknown kid from the west coast named Paul George. The so-called experts gave us an "F" draft score because of our pick. The next year the same thing...we picked Miles Plumlee. Boos reigned down on the Pacers. Last night Plumlee, a starter for the Suns, hit 10-14 shots, scored 22 points, 13 boards, 3 blocks, and was the game-long "energy" that pushed the Suns past the 76ers. He plays 30 minutes a game and his season averages are close to Hibbert...10 pts, 9 boards a game. They love him in Phoenix...ladies hold up signs that say "I'm single Miles, call me!" He seems to be the toast of the town for a team that is 18-10 on the year!! Maybe we should have kept Miles and traded Ian......
    Who was disgusted and who gave us an F?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    Who was disgusted and who gave us an F?

I think some clown on CBS sportsline did. Someone posted it a month or so ago.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Everyone" is pretty strong. PG was on the top of T-Bird's draft board and I don't remember anyone having big objections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I get his point, not many people had any respect at all around here for Plumlee.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I posted it. It was meant that to show the stupidity of CBS Sportsline. Here it is again...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-Paul-George-F

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indyman411 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I get his point, not many people had any respect at all around here for Plumlee.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Nope. He was a punching bag and the butt of many jokes. The lesson: Trust that the Legend knows exactly what he is doing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

It's funny looking back on that. I wanted Udoh, and while picked at #6 in that draft, he's been a bust. It's not easy making these picks and you really have to give it up for Bird.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Nope. He was a punching bag and the butt of many jokes. The lesson: Trust that the Legend knows exactly what he is doing.
    Hell, even Shawne Williams is a starter in the NBA.

And James White won a Turkish dunk contest.

Mood

I wasn't totally against miles, but I did want Jones more. I know I'll never not trust Larry's eye for talent ever again that's for sure. He can smell basketball talent like a shark smells blood in water.

Everyone threw up their arms in frustration and disgust when the Pacers chose an unknown kid from the west coast named Paul George.
    Where did you hear that of everyone? It sure wasn't true here on the Digest. I think the poll ran 75% for taking George.

I doubt that Bird wanted to give Miles up, but you gotta give up something to get a player like Scola.
    Bird didn't want to give Miles up. He turned that same trade down earlier.

Miles is playing really well, but I don't think this is going to go down in history as the sequel to the Hornets trading Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac..........
    Don't know about that. They have our 2014 draft pick besides Miles and Green, and Green has been playing well in Phoenix. I think how we view the trade in the future will depend if we win the championship with Scola. Miles is going to be really good.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Well, if we are going to give Bird credit for what a former playing is doing on another team, we should give Walsh credit for Green scoring 12ppg while shooting 43.4% and 38.6% from 3.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Hell, even Shawne Williams is a starter in the NBA.

And James White won a Turkish dunk contest.
    Hey, Top Flight White has a ring!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

I said at the time that I'd rather give up Hill then our 2014 1st. It looks like Plumlee will be most likely be the best 1st. round pick of of the 12,13 & 14.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that PG had the highest potential out of the draft class, and many people thought he would be the best player taken in that draft. I don't remember anyone here being upset with the pick (other than we had a healthy Granger at the time)

Yep great, obviously, also 'Yes the cabbage is', Chuck 'em, DJ Augustine, .... The kid named white from Cinnci I think it was.

I love Larry as much as anybody, but no body is perfect at this. PG will go down as maybe the best Pacers pick ever and lots of props. Moreso props to Larry for understanding pieces and how they fit together as well as the mental make-up of people and teams. Big time ability that most in this business don't have, looking at you NY Knicks and Nets.

Otherwise, It's not like Larry proved all of us naysayers wrong, thats how this sorta reads which is tough. Like BillS said TBird mostly called this, I put a ton of stock into TBirds thoughts on prospects!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's funny looking back on that. I wanted Udoh, and while picked at #6 in that draft, he's been a bust. It's not easy making these picks and you really have to give it up for Bird.
    If we'd picked Udoh, and he'd spent 4 years in our environment, would he have been a bust?

Environment matters a lot.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-Paul-George-F

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I said at the time that I'd rather give up Hill then our 2014 1st. It looks like Plumlee will be most likely be the best 1st. round pick of of the 12,13 & 14.
    The 2014 1st round pick was what they wanted most I think out of anything, they just didn't figure the Pacers would have best record in NBA almost. Plumlee was second, and he's managed to be pretty damn good, much better than they expected. If there was ever a choice between including Plumlee or Solomon then Bird screwed up for sure looking at it atm.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Yep great, obviously, also 'Yes the cabbage is', Chuck 'em, DJ Augustine, .... The kid named white from Cinnci I think it was.

I love Larry as much as anybody, but no body is perfect at this. PG will go down as maybe the best Pacers pick ever and lots of props. Moreso props to Larry for understanding pieces and how they fit together as well as the mental make-up of people and teams. Big time ability that most in this business don't have, looking at you NY Knicks and Nets.

Otherwise, It's not like Larry proved all of us naysayers wrong, thats how this sorta reads which is tough. Like BillS said TBird mostly called this, I put a ton of stock into TBirds thoughts on prospects!
    Dunno about DJ Augustine but Bird never had anything to do with him as far as I know.

Anyway, all of the great Execs really had lots of hits and misses, but one thing you can credit Larry for is his ability to see NBA-level talent at the draft where the spots are mid-1st rounder at most. Not considering the current Pacers right now, many have done very decently in the league on other teams. AJ Price did have some moments last year while replacing John Wall. Brandon Rush was a solid player for GS when healthy. Plumlee is doing a nice job as a starting center in Phoenix. Kawhi is now a core piece in SA (he's still Bird's prospect before ultimately trading the pick to the Spurs).

I would like Larry to at least be scouting talents for my team if I'm trying to build one.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you have never read T-Bird's pre draft break down of Paul George, you owe it to yourself. You won't believe how eerily spot on he was about PG at a time when almost nobody who posts here had heard of him.