Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Knicks Want Roy

Default The Knicks Want Roy

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-all-hope-slim

According to league sources, the Knicks' first prong is to try to attract the Celtics' Rajon Rondo. This idea has been tossed around in various forms for a while now, it's not shocking. But the way the Knicks are hoping to get Rondo is a little unusual.

It's not in free agency in 2015 but later this season or next summer when he comes back from a torn ACL. The Knicks are hoping Rondo will be interested in making a maneuver similar to what Anthony did back in 2011 and eventually try to force a trade to the Knicks, sources said.

The Celtics have consistently denied they want to trade Rondo. But once this trade deadline passes, and it isn't clear if he will even play before February, Rondo will have only one guaranteed season left on his contract. Like with Anthony when he applied pressure to the Denver Nuggets by threatening to leave in free agency, the Knicks wonder if Rondo will be able to have a say in where he might be traded if the Celtics end up fearful he'll leave in free agency.

That may seem contrived, yes, but this isn't a made-up scenario. It is a genuine option. You have to give the Knicks this: It has worked before.

If that fails -- and who knows how Rondo will mesh with this Celtics team, it could work well and he could want to stay -- the Knicks fully believe they will get one or two of the following in free agency in 2015 when they expect to have large salary-cap space: Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Roy Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Tony Parker or Rondo when his contract is up. Under certain circumstances, James himself could be a free agent again that summer.
    Good luck suckers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: The Knicks Want Roy

Yeah I saw that yesterday, NY wants everybody but can't get anybody lol I don't think anybody wants to play with Melo the guy is one of the worse black holes ever.

New York just wants everyone because they are New York. How's that worked out for them?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just like they wanted Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, etc etc etc. This clownish organization always thinks that players are dying to play there, but there's little evidence to show that players want to play with the Knicks. They play in a premier city, but they are not a top notch franchise. Aside from Melo and Stat ($$$), how many top players have shown a passion for wanting to play for the Knicks?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How does it feel to want?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I want Kate Upton.

I probably have a better chance.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Parker might be ready to retire by then. Could see Gasol going there. Memphis sucks now. LaMarcus might, depending on what happens in Portland this season and next season. If they get eliminated in the 1st round both years, then yeah he could go. Rondo could end up in Indiana before NY. It's been discussed before. Kevin Love will probably be a Laker before he's a Knick.

Wait I thought he wasn't a free agent until 2016.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

What's that old saying? Something about holding feces in one hand , and want in the other and seeing which one fills up faster?

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

So the Knicks think Roy will leave here when he has a young superstar in Paul George to play with to go play with an aging superstar in Melo (if he even is a superstar)? Similar to Lakers fans thinking they were gonna get Paul George in free agency.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Wait I thought he wasn't a free agent until 2016.
    last year's a player option

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    So the Knicks think Roy will leave here when he has a young superstar in Paul George to play with to go play with an aging superstar in Melo (if he even is a superstar)? Similar to Lakers fans thinking they were gonna get Paul George in free agency.
    Melo won't be there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    last year's a player option
    Which he is going to accept Barring any major changes

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Melo won't be there next year.
    Ehh, I expect him to come back, wouldn't shock me at all if he left, but I doubt it

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Which he is going to accept Barring any major changes
    I think you have that backwards. Barring a major change, he will almost certainly opt out of his final year in order to secure another long term max extension as soon as possible.

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo

Well unless they get better and younger I doubt any of those will want to play there.

I noticed that article yesterday. The Knicks are really targeting anyone they can since they have no plans on building through the draft.
    Make no mistake about it, Roy will opt out after next year and he'll be getting a 30% max. We need to just make that happen as quickly as possible for him. Roy is more valueable to this team then PG and Lance combined. If we lose Lance we'll be fine, if we lose Roy we're out of the title hunt. I hope Larry can keep Lance but I only want him to do that with an eye on paying Roy 20 mil per year in another 3 years and I think his next contract can start somewhere around 18 mil. I haven't done the math but that should be close. I don't want us to toy with this by trying to lowball Roy.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think you have that backwards. Barring a major change, he will almost certainly opt out of his final year in order to secure another long term max extension as soon as possible.
    Not only that, he will be a 7th year player at that point and eligible for 30% of the max. Given his current play, it's quite possible that he's going to get a pay raise.

Gotta hope that the LT level goes up by quite a bit again in 2015.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I hope Larry can keep Lance but I only want him to do that with an eye on paying Roy 20 mil per year in another 3 years and I think his next contract can start somewhere around 18 mil.
    2 years actually, because Roy has an opt out. So the year after Lance. We don't have 2015 cap numbers yet, but $18m seems like a reasonable ballpark using the projected 2014 cap.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Not only that, he will be a 7th year player at that point and eligible for 30% of the max. Given his current play, it's quite possible that he's going to get a pay raise.

Gotta hope that the LT level goes up by quite a bit again in 2015.
    Eligible, but PG was (will be) too and we know how that went, but yeah, he's gonna get a raise. Roy in all likelihood opting out will play into how much we can/will pay Lance too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers basically just need to keep the Roy/Lance/George core longterm. Obviously easier said then done.
    @qandrews9428

33. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Pacers basically just need to keep the Roy/Lance/George core longterm. Obviously easier said then done.
    In the long term? Sure, that won't be a problem. By 2016 with West's deal off the books we can afford to pay those 3 what they're worth. Of course, we'd want to be paying a West replacement at PF too, but that's a whole other problem.

In the short term though, there are possible luxury tax hiccups in 2014 and 2015. The good news I guess is that we can probably fiddle with bench player contracts like Copeland, Scola, and Mahinmi to avoid the tax. It's not going to do nice things to our depth though.

Banned

Yeah I always thought he had like 3 years left, I guess next year we are going to hear a lot of stupid rumors about him(not looking forward for that).

Weird that he got 4 years with a player option on his 3rd but Hill got 5 years with no option, even Ian got 4 years with no option.

Pretty sure the Pacers would have preferred to give him a 4 year deal with no player option, but that's the deal that Portland offered that we "matched".

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Pretty sure the Pacers would have preferred to give him a 4 year deal with no player option, but that's the deal that Portland offered that we "matched".
    The Pacers "matched" the deal but Hibbert never got to sign the Portland offer right?