Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch out, Lance Stephenson’s putting it all together (NYPost)

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Watch out, Lance Stephenson’s putting it all together (NYPost)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If he keeps playing the way he has been, that is going to be a starting point.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Yes, that is not surprising. I have been predicting 8M/yr.

Edit: In a way I hope he slows his development down because it's possible he could price himself out of Indy. I don't know where his ceiling is really.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

He keeps having nights like today and that is going to be his starting salary.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He keeps having nights like today and that is going to be his starting salary.
    Yes, I'm afraid some team will throw 12M+ at him if he keeps this up. If so, bye bye.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid some team will throw 12M+ at him if he keeps this up. If so, bye bye.
    My nightmare is that his agent uses the Tyreke Evans contract as a starting point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm not sure that many teams have cap space though, the only team that kind of makes sense is Atlanta, Teague,Lance,Korver,Milsap and Horford?

Mood

I think if the Lakers were smart they'd spend that kind of money on him instead of chasing someone like Melo-- use the extra $$ on adding more quality pieces.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think if the Lakers were smart they'd spend that kind of money on him instead of chasing someone like Melo-- use the extra $$ on adding more quality pieces.
    Yeah but remember that Kobe plays at the same position as Lance unless they want him as their point guard I don't see that happening, maybe Utah wants Lance? Philly?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, a 23 year old Stephenson at his highest realistic price tag versus a soon to be 30 year old Melo at his price tag? It's no contest. Give me Lance any day of the week.

If Melo didn't lead teams on deep playoff runs during his 20's, then I doubt it starts now. The guy is going to be on the wrong end of 30 during the entire duration of this looming monstrous contract. Overspending for Lance, which would still be much much much cheaper than Melo, would by far be the better move for the Lakers, IMO. Let's just hope we can match whatever the highest offer is. Entering next season without Born Ready would be so depressing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, a 23 year old Stephenson at his highest realistic price tag versus a soon to be 30 year old Melo at his price tag? It's no contest. Give me Lance any day of the week.

If Melo didn't lead teams on deep playoff runs during his 20's, then I doubt it starts now. The guy is going to be on the wrong end of 30 during the entire duration of this looming monstrous contract. Overspending for Lance, which would still be much much much cheaper than Melo, would by far be the better move for the Lakers, IMO.
    The thing is that Melo plays a position Kobe doesn't making it easier to think about having both players together.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The thing is that Melo plays a position Kobe doesn't making it easier to think about having both players together.
    Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that until I read your response to Hicks. Good point.

I'd be beyond stunned if Melo was the secret to getting Kobe that 6th ring at the end of his career. Whoever signs Melo will live to regret it.

This is the one downside to the excellent job that Bird has done as a GM. We've added so many good players in recent years that it's costing an absolute fortunate to keep them. But it's not my money......

Nets announcers said he good be getting max money. Which would be what, Hibbert money?

edit: I guess we could have 3 max guys, but we'd have a Norris Cole type running the point and a crap bench.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The thing is, Lance isn't just a good player. He is a crowd electrifier. He has the ability to change a franchise.

If I were a GM, depending on my current situation, I would seriously consider throwing big money at him and let him loose to sell tickets.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hypothetically yes. But some players aren't meant to be number one options. Lance isn't a good enough scorer (from what we've seen of him thus far) to be able to carry a team offensively night in and night out. Those guys have shown the ability to do those things, most of them from day one.

If Lance were a number one option on a bad team, yes hypothetically he would score a lot more...but then one of his greatest attributes (his efficiency) goes out the window, thus he becomes what these guys already are...an inefficient player who puts up decent to good numbers on a bad team.

If you look at each player that you named individually, Lance is not better than them IMO. He may be more versatile, better at certain things, but I don't believe he's a better player.
    The pacers keep a very tight reign on Lance because they don't trust him to not get out of control. I read somewhere where West was supposed to keep him in check. Whether Lance could be the #1 option I don't know but right now it isn't clear that he can't. How the pacers go about keeping him is going to be interesting and if they do give him a bolus of money then what or who can keep him from going off the deep end? Will his immaturity impact his career and upside?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    The thing is, Lance isn't just a good player. He is a crowd electrifier. He has the ability to change a franchise.

If I were a GM, depending on my current situation, I would seriously consider throwing big money at him and let him loose to sell tickets.
    I don't think Lance is on that level where you sign him and he is an automatic draw at the ticket office...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't think Lance is on that level where you sign him and he is an automatic draw at the ticket office...yet.
    He's not drawing a crowd at this point, so I agree. He is just breaking out and we don't know if this continues. Nobody knows.

But one thing is clear. Lance does A LOT more than score the basketball. As a 23 year old SG, he is averaging more rebounds than the 6'9" Danny Granger ever had even in his best year. Lance is averaging double the assists that Danny had in his best years. I say all this not to rip on Danny. Danny is a very good player...not just a great shooter. But I say this to emphasize that if Lance keeps this up his name across the league is going to rise quite a bit and he will be a draw at the gates. People don't think of him as a franchise player but that's exactly what he is if he keeps up this level of production. Moreover, there's no reason to think it will not continue if not get even better.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

People still see Lance as a knucklehead so he doesn't have a huge fan base yet. Perhaps that won't change.