Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch out, Lance Stephenson’s putting it all together (NYPost)

Default Re: Watch out, Lance Stephenson’s putting it all together (NYPost)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance has to make the AS team. He is better than Wall, Irving, Afflalo, Jennings. Just because he hasn't been hyped by the media, doesn't mean he isn't better than those guys
    Just like Paul George , Lance is most definitely an All Star game type of player...

What I mean is that, they are the type of players that will play very well in that type of setting...
    Heck didnt PG score like 17 in his AS appearance? most points scored by a Pacer player in Pacers history??? or something like that?

Anyways , I can see Lance pretty much playing an all around good game.. possibly even flirt with a trip dbl . like he tends to do because he is so well balanced..

I hope he doesnt make it this year, only because I want us to be able to afford him...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Anyways , I can see Lance pretty much playing an all around good game.. possibly even flirt with a trip dbl . like he tends to do because he is so well balanced..
    If they let him go loose....I could see that

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Let's not put him in the HOF quite yet. He's good - I'll give that.

Let him improve his shooting, cut down his TOs and keep his head in the game. For a few years at least - not just 1/3 of a season. THEN he can be compared to other players that have played at a high level for years.

I see what you are saying about doing it at this level for a sustained period of time. But, he has improved the shooting this year and he has a better TOV average than PG24, Lebron, Durant, Wade, Harden, Curry, Westbrook and numerous other more heralded guards. He's within a whisker of several others like Lillard, JJohnson.

I honestly think Lance is undervalued simply because he is too loose for the tastes of some members of the forum. Probably not you, but by those who maintain that there is "Good Lance and Bad Lance." There is no "Bad Lance." Some times there is "Lance having a bad game" but that's true for 98% of the NBA players, too. Nope, we are getting to watch Lance blossom right in front of our eyes this year and he's going to become an incredible player.

Name-calling signature removed

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    What's the question? Lance brings a dimension that nobody else on the Pacers can emulate, including George.

So you think he is more important than PG or West? Explain what you mean?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love how Lance is playing, he's blowing my mind how well he's played lately and he should get serious consideration for the all-star game, prefect kinda fun game for his talents.

People have very short memory's though, on the west coast trip Lance was awful at times, he'll have a awful week in the very near future, that's just Lance for now. Maybe he'll grow out of it with a little more seasoning.

But just STOP people! stop overrating him, you're just doing a disservice to him, as for as expectations are concerned. He's still probably only the 5 most important Pacer. He's not on Paul's level but a country mile. He's not close to the talent of Irving and he's not better than Wall. He's a very good young player, that's getting better really fast, can't we just be happy with that?
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes, Lance is pretty good and is improving quickly. I remember when we drafted him everyone was bashing us for picking him. Now he is playing much better than a second round pick. I don't think he is an all-star caliber player, but if he keeps on improving he has the tools to get there. Lance has really improved his shot and is consistently hitting the three. Now the defense has to defend him and give space for Roy and DW to work. He is not on the same level as PG or Roy, but he provides a spark to the team. Honestly though I think he has been a little hyped up by the national media. I think DW should have come away with some votes. When it comes to changing the momentum DW is the one who usually is called to get a big shot, rebound or whatever the team needs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

It's amazing. It really is amazing.

I know some people here always believed in him. Always said he had the talent.

I wouldn't have debated that he was a fancy ball handler, a flashy passer, a flashy scorer. But for someone like that to transform his game into truly being a team game....a lot of the times he is the blue collar guy. The guy scrapping for rebounds and going after loose balls. For him to be the guy who is playing within the flow of the offense instead of being the offense. I don't think people truly appreciate how hard Lance and those helping him had to work in order for Lance to accomplish that goal.

Then to add on the personal maturity. The guy went from the idiot no one wanted, to the "perfect kind of idiot." The guy had about a .01 chance of making it. Absolutely amazing that he has.

I'm not going as far as some. Because I do think he's still overrated. But he's also transformed into a fun player to watch, in more ways than just showboating. And he really has had an excellent season, despite having some inconsistencies.

Does he have my trust completely? No..but he's certainly earned some rope. (And I really do think Vogel is the perfect coach for him. I know some want Lance to have more freedom and more control of the team, but that's not good for him. )
    Last edited by Sookie; 12-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So you think he is more important than PG or West? Explain what you mean?
    I think this croz24 statement kind of answers that and mirrors some of the thoughts I had when I saw your question and the comment you'd highlighted:
    Did I call Lance more important or better than George? No. I said he MAY be as in I believe you can question it. Lance provides this Pacers team with qualities very few players in the league possess. Let's also not act like George doesn't have flaws in his game or areas that Lance isn't superior in. Value or importance also isn't necessarily defined by overall talent. Sometimes it's a matter of uniqueness, of which Lance is the most unique player on our roster. It's not a coincidence that George's game really began to flourish once Lance started receiving consistent minutes.
    I personally think if the NBA said "You can only keep one, PG or Lance. Who do you keep?" then it's a no-brainer you keep PG when you think about it like that. But when you think about Lance in the framework of the team he does bring a uniqueness to the floor that has things other players simply don't possess. Just the amount of improvement he's shown to me says he must have a solid work ethic. Whether he possessed it all along, got it from West, or Bird... doesn't matter. He's continuing it and setting an example himself. Even though you know he has the fancy handles and slick passes he also does the dirty work. And he's not really showboating to showboat. There's generally a hotdog with the mustard.

I don't think you can say enough about his rebounding from the SG position. He also brings some swagger to the lineup. I think there's something to croz24's statement looking at PG's rise and Lance's insertion into the starting lineup as being more than coincidence. Sure, there's other factors at play but Lance seems to be one of those players that ultimately has that infectious thing that drives the players around him to be just a little better. And then they all feed off each other's energy. And he also gets the fans which makes that homecourt advantage a little more felt.

It's like we have all these conservative players, ready to do the job at hand in a solid, professional way, and then Lance is that missing piece that just lights that little fire that gives it all that extra little... something.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-28-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    There is no "Bad Lance."
    Sure there is. Like the time Vogel took him out of a blowout game when he was a point short of a trip-dub. Lance's reaction was Bad Lance.

And the over his head pass to ........... well, I don't don't WHO he was trying to pass to (or what game it was). The NBA court isn't Rucker. He has plenty of moments when too much of his playground background comes out. And all too often, Lance is on the edge of doing something really dumb - until Hill or West or Vogel gets his attention and brings him back to earth.

I'm quite happy having him as a Pacer, I hope he's here for a long time - and I also hope that he grows up, matures and all that stuff.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    There's generally a hotdog with the mustard.

It's like we have all these conservative players, ready to do the job at hand in a solid, professional way, and then Lance is that missing piece that just lights that little fire that gives it all that extra little... something.
    I wouldn't stop at mustard. He also has ketchup, relish, chili sauce and a nice helping of nacho cheese. He does have that swagger and he also brings toughness and attitude that has an effect on opponents. He has a little of Reggie and DWest in the way he plays and he also interacts with Paul on the floor. I don't think we've scratched the surface with what those two could accomplish together.
    LeWade are going down.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

You know, it's nice to have a discussion about who is most important to this team instead of who we should get rid of. I'm no homer when it comes to standing by the players, but these guys are all good players. While we could make improvements to the roster there isn't much to complain about IMO. That's the first time I have personally been able to say that as a Pacer fan of 30+ years.
    LeWade are going down.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

God Lance would be fun to watch in an All Star game. I wonder if he would try to freeze out LeBron.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I say the hell with the voting, throw the best of the Pacers and the Heat together and add two other guys and send them to the All-Star Game.
    A Pacers/Heat hybrid team would certainly be interesting:

Hibbert
    West
    James
    George
    Wade

Bosh
    Scola
    Granger
    Allen
    Stephenson
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    A Pacers/Heat hybrid team would certainly be interesting:

Hibbert
    West
    James
    George
    Wade

Bosh
    Scola
    Granger
    Allen
    Stephenson
    Just to be sure... Are they wearing Heat Jerseys or Pacers jerseys?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    God Lance would be fun to watch in an All Star game. I wonder if he would try to freeze out LeBron.
    I wonder if the other non-Pacers would freeze Lance out. He doesn't strike me as the most popular guy for opposing players.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I wonder if the other non-Pacers would freeze Lance out. He doesn't strike me as the most popular guy for opposing players.
    I think he is easily becoming one of the most disliked players in the league amongst opponents.

I love it.....

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think he is easily becoming one of the most disliked players in the league amongst opponents.

I love it.....
    I will just be happy when he starts owning and dissing DWade. Heck, that's on my bucket list and probably more important to me than the Pacers winning a championship. I really cannot wait and I hope Wade hangs on too long so we get to see his slow, steady demise over the course of a few seasons, just like Garnett and Pierce.
    LeWade are going down.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    God Lance ...........
    I wasn't aware he passed sainthood.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Well they wouldn't last too long on the court with Frank being the coach and all. Frank could just run a lineup of PG, Roy, and Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    Well they wouldn't last too long on the court with Frank being the coach and all. Frank could just run a lineup of PG, Roy, and Lance.
    First off, it's no guarantee that Vogel is the coach of the East. Miami is only a game.5 behind us in the standings. Second, it's an All Star game. Even if Vogel is the coach he isn't going to yank guys in and out of the lineup because they aren't passing Lance the ball. The game is for the fans.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

First off, it's no guarantee that Vogel is the coach of the East. Miami is only a game.5 behind us in the standings. Second, it's an All Star game. Even if Vogel is the coach he isn't going to yank guys in and out of the lineup because they aren't passing Lance the ball. The game is for the fans.
    yeah, it's a guarantee Frank'll coach, barring catastrophe. coaches can't coach two years in a row.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    yeah, it's a guarantee Frank'll coach, barring catastrophe. coaches can't coach two years in a row.
    Really? I didn't know that. Okay, so Frank will coach the East. Second point still stands.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Really? I didn't know that. Okay, so Frank will coach the East. Second point still stands.
    I assume so. Still, it's going to be really interesting seeing the dynamic during the practices and some of the mic'ed up stuff they show in the days leading up to it on NBATV and whatnot. Hell, I could honestly see some guys getting jealous they don't get to play for Frank.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    While we could make improvements to the roster there isn't much to complain about IMO.
    Thus the post game threads that are reduced to complaining about Ian Mahinmi. You gotta go way down the chart to find someone worth discussing for a trade.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

39. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    If Ready was the number one option, he would put up better numbers than those guys. Just because he isn't the number 1 option, this doesn't disqualify him from being better than those guys
    Hypothetically yes. But some players aren't meant to be number one options. Lance isn't a good enough scorer (from what we've seen of him thus far) to be able to carry a team offensively night in and night out. Those guys have shown the ability to do those things, most of them from day one.

If Lance were a number one option on a bad team, yes hypothetically he would score a lot more...but then one of his greatest attributes (his efficiency) goes out the window, thus he becomes what these guys already are...an inefficient player who puts up decent to good numbers on a bad team.

If you look at each player that you named individually, Lance is not better than them IMO. He may be more versatile, better at certain things, but I don't believe he's a better player.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: