Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 241

Thread: How do we keep Lance?

  1. #51

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Last I saw luxury tax was projected to be over 75m. We're fine signing Lance on a 4 year deal like 8m, 10m, 10m, 12m. Should be able to get up to 10m in year one without dropping anyone and 13m in year one if we can ship Copelands contract. I don't see a problem.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dangle our 2016 1st rounder as a sweetener. If we keep Lance, that pick will be nothing again.

    Also, there is probably no way Lance makes the All-Star Game. When coaches are picking backups, do you think they'll take Afflalo or the guy who is constantly dancing while destroying their team?
    Affalo is not going to make it because his team sucks, this is when coaches don't vote for players in crappy teams because crappy teams inflate some players stats(the so call myth lol).

  4. #53
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to see a list to compare him to other players you might be right though.
    Afflalo got 8 million before he stepped it up.

    DeRozan is at 10 million and he isn't as good.

    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.

    Just a few(I stole from a poster on RealGM cuz I was lazy).

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly. But we can afford that without trading any core player. We have to see where the new cap is set for the next season but chances are that our starting budget will be 6 or 7 millions. All we need to do is trade Mahinmi or Copeland and we can save up enough in order to offer him a 10 million contract.
    I was not aware of that, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't realize that was an option.

  7. #55
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afflalo got 8 million before he stepped it up.

    DeRozan is at 10 million and he isn't as good.

    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.

    Just a few(I stole from a poster on RealGM cuz I was lazy).
    Yeah, and keep in mind that teams always want to scoop players off of elite teams. That will also help drive Lance's value up. Everyone around the NBA watched last year when Lance had some big moments in the playoffs (especially Game 6 against NY). Well, he will once again be performing on the national stage this spring when we make our inevitable march to the ECF's against the Heat. Since he is a better player than last year, that means he should have even more big moments in the playoffs that turn heads with the entire NBA world watching. That will drive his value up. Austin Croshere basically got a huge contract because he played very good in the NBA Finals with the whole world watching. Some people are going to be really surprised when they see what it costs to keep Lance.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  9. #56

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    If the luxury tax goes up by the same percentage as it did this year, it will be about $73m. We get Copeland's $3m off the books, and we have $11m to spend. We can re-sign Lance and still have breathing room. I do think if Lance went to another team the players would beat him with socks full of golf balls for some taunting he did this year.

    Lance is more valuable to the Pacers than he is for everyone else. I love Lance, but he is a hothead and unpredictable. We know what he does when he isn't around Larry Bird. We saw what a mess he was in the first 19 years of his life. We see what he is with Larry Bird. A fine citizen and a better basketball player. Other teams don't know if he will revert to old Lance if he loses his support in Indiana. Plus, I know that his family loves Indianapolis and so does Lance. This is the best place for Lance. Larry knows it, his family knows it, and he knows it too.

  10. #57
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afflalo got 8 million before he stepped it up.

    DeRozan is at 10 million and he isn't as good.

    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.

    Just a few(I stole from a poster on RealGM cuz I was lazy).

    There are really some that think that someone will throw that kind of money at Landry Freakin Fields, and Lance wont get and offer of 10+... SMH

  11. #58

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afflalo got 8 million before he stepped it up.

    DeRozan is at 10 million and he isn't as good.

    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.

    Just a few(I stole from a poster on RealGM cuz I was lazy).
    To be fair, Landry Fields' deal was the Raptors trying to be cute and screwing over the Knicks, which failed for them. DeRozan got a lot of money from Colangelo who is a Kahn-tier GM. Monta Ellis is a better comparison. He got $8m last year after a pretty long period of success.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  13. #59

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    There are really some that think that someone will throw that kind of money at Landry Freakin Fields, and Lance wont get and offer of 10+... SMH
    If Toronto throws ridiculous money at Lance to try to keep Nash from going to Indiana, then that's a good comparison.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  15. #60
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.
    That was a Bryan Colangelo, though. He has the tendency to overpay players by a lot. He wasn't a good GM. Thankfully, he is not a GM anymore.

    One thing that can help us is that they are only 2 truly awful FOs in the league (New York and Brooklyn) and thankfully both of them are capped out.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  16. #61

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I think a lot of misconceptions about our salary cap space come from George's contract. He got the 5/30% in a way, but Lowe said that he is closer to 5/28%, which is of course a big difference. PG isn't even going to be our highest paid player next year or the year after. That's still Hibbert. George's contract is a steal for the kind of production he is giving us on both ends.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  18. #62
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Toronto throws ridiculous money at Lance to try to keep Nash from going to Indiana, then that's a good comparison.
    Lances agent is still going to use this... You mean to tell me that my client isnt worth what Landry Fields is?? I hope that you are right, and that there is no market for Lance, but I have a feeling that you would be best serve to make a habit of wearing Depends onces the FA signing period rolls around...

  19. #63
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    There are really some that think that someone will throw that kind of money at Landry Freakin Fields, and Lance wont get and offer of 10+... SMH
    Lance can certainly get an offer of 10+ but thankfully Bryan Colangelo is not a GM anymore.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  20. #64

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Lance's agent will get all he can out of Larry and the Pacers. No doubt. Like I said earlier, $10m sounds about right. I'm not 100% sure he would hit that on the open market, but like Hill and West, the Pacers will make him an offer he can't refuse.

    I would be 1000% more worried about Lance leaving if Brooklyn had salary cap space. Fortunately they are run by a bunch of basketball illiterates who built the worst team imaginable.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  22. #65
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,054

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Fields got that money because at the time he looked like an important piece for the Knicks. It was the Nash sweepstakes and Colangelo wanted to force the Knicks to match a big offer for Fields (because he was clearly so important) to kill their cap space. They didn't, because even the Knicks are smarter than Colangelo.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  24. #66
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,860

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I don't think that people realize how bad of a GM Colangelo was.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  26. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afflalo got 8 million before he stepped it up.

    DeRozan is at 10 million and he isn't as good.

    Landry Fields got 8.5 million and he isn't nearly as good.

    Just a few(I stole from a poster on RealGM cuz I was lazy).
    Affalo at the time he got paid was way overpaid, Fields got 8.5mil because Toronto was trying to screw NY so they wouldn't get Nash and De Rosan got overpaid because Toronto has not other choice but to overpay(nobody is going there).

    Lance is going to get about the same money guys like Redick, JR and Korver got, now if he is an all star yeah he is 10mil+.

  27. #68
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,054

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Also, Afflao makes 7.5, to be clear.

    Conley makes 8.7. Ray Allen makes 3.2. Nate Robinson makes 2.0 STEPH CURRY MAKES JUST SHY OF 10 MIL.

    What have we learned through this exercise? Some guys are paid too much, some guys are paid too little. Some guys are paid just right.

  28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  29. #69

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Here are teams with salary cap space next year, from Hoopsworld:

    Lakers: 25.8 million
    Philadelphia: 20.2 to 32.7 million (depends on Evan Turner's and Lavoy Allen's QO)
    Dallas: 31 million
    Utah Jazz — $23-43 million (Gordon Hayward's QO and a bunch of not guaranteed contracts)
    Phoenix Suns — $19.5 million
    Charlotte Bobcats — $19 million
    Orlando Magic — $19 million
    Washington Wizards — $15 million
    Atlanta Hawks — $12 million
    Detroit Pistons — $12 million
    Milwaukee Bucks — $12 million
    Golden State Warriors — $10 million
    Toronto Raptors — $3-23 million (Salmons, Amir Johnson, and Hansbrough are not guaranteed)
    San Antonio Spurs — $7 million
    Cleveland Cavaliers — 6.5-$24 million (Bynum, Clark, and Varejao are not guaranteed contracts)

    The Grizzlies will have about $18m if Randolph opts out. The Bulls will have $12m if Boozer gets the amnesty.

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/looking-to...14s-salary-cap

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  31. #70

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that people realize how bad of a GM Colangelo was.
    He hurt Toronto really bad. They got a great GM to replace him, but even then it might take 3 to 5 years to rebuild there. I would feel bad for the Raptors if their fans weren't obnoxious.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  33. #71
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I just hope that fans around here don't fall into the predictable trap of, "Lance is loyal to the Pacers and loves it here, so he will give the Pacers a discount".

    The Pacers were Brad Miller's home state team and I think that he really wanted to stay here, but he sure as hell wasn't going to give us a discount.

    All we used to hear was that Roy loved being a Pacer so much and was so grateful for the opportunity we gave him, yet that guy was ready to bolt to Portland in a heartbeat if the Pacers wouldn't have matched.

    Lance has been making absolute pennies by NBA standards. He has spent four years watching his teammates make insane amounts of money, and he's going to be ready to finally make some big jack himself. He's going to take the biggest offer, as he should. I just hope people around here don't fall into the deadly "he loves it here and will give us a discount" trap. That always bites fans.

  34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  35. #72
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope that fans around here don't fall into the predictable trap of, "Lance is loyal to the Pacers and loves it here, so he will give the Pacers a discount".

    The Pacers were Brad Miller's home state team and I think that he really wanted to stay here, but he sure as hell wasn't going to give us a discount.

    All we used to hear was that Roy loved being a Pacer so much and was so grateful for the opportunity we gave him, yet that guy was ready to bolt to Portland in a heartbeat if the Pacers wouldn't have matched.

    Lance has been making absolute pennies by NBA standards. He has spent four years watching his teammates make insane amounts of money, and he's going to be ready to finally make some big jack himself. He's going to take the biggest offer, as he should. I just hope people around here don't fall into the deadly "he loves it here and will give us a discount" trap. That always bites fans.
    I agree with you, except that I think that he would give us a slight discount... If we are to make it close, I think that he would stay with us... Kid wants to make money not doubt, but I also get the sense that he loves playing, and playing with this particular group of guys...

  36. #73

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I think if we match he would stay.

  37. #74
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if we match he would stay.
    Well I'd hope so. I'd be stunned if he left if all offers were equal.

  38. #75
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,350

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I think that most Teams would price his market value between $6 to 8 mil a year cuz he's playing at that level now....a Starting Quality Combo Guard that can handle the ball and score. But I guarantee you that some Team will make an overpaid offer to Lance with some Contract STARTING at $9 mil...if not up to $10 mil a year.....which means that dumping Copeland is the only option that we really have.

    BTW...IMHO....many of you may think that it is easy to simply to dump Copeland for an expiring Contract.....but I don't think it is as easy as many of you say it is. Trading Copeland, OJ and a 2nd is the best option that we have and AT MOST what I hope to get it done.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •