Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 241

Thread: How do we keep Lance?

  1. #201
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    One can only hope that the Pacers have more tricks than a fake magazine cover and a $500 Ipad.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  2. #202
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One can only hope that the Pacers have more tricks than a fake magazine cover and a $500 Ipad.
    Not if they are using it to sign gooftroopers like Copeland

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good thing we made that magazine cover and iPad presentation to sign him. We pulled out all of our tricks to sign a guy to a contract we might have to move to keep a core player. Not my favorite Pacer signing.
    The funny part is that they can't do this anymore, they do that to a good player and he might get offended because they did the same thing to an scrub like Cope.

  4. #204
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The funny part is that they can't do this anymore, they do that to a good player and he might get offended because they did the same thing to an scrub like Cope.

    If a player is offended by receiving a free Ipad, then he's a dumbass.

    The Ipad and magazine cover took a back seat to the higher salary. Maybe offering them more money than other teams will offend them too, since the Pacers did that with Cope?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  6. #205
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not if they are using it to sign gooftroopers like Copeland
    Maybe getting a guy a fake trading card with a Pacers jersey can bring them back in.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  8. #206
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certainly an interesting thread to read given what Born Ready is accomplishing this season:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ers&highlight=

    Nice job, McKeyfan. Lance has been your guy since the 2010 Summer League.
    Thanks. I'm also proud that I spotted this early on:

    The only thing I've seen Lance do wrong so far is miss one foul shot.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  10. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If a player is offended by receiving a free Ipad, then he's a dumbass.

    The Ipad and magazine cover took a back seat to the higher salary. Maybe offering them more money than other teams will offend them too, since the Pacers did that with Cope?
    It was reported that the photoshopped thing was important for Cope to make his decision:

    Chris Copeland signs an offer sheet with Indiana after the team Photoshopped him into an ESPN Mag cover
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...003422025.html

    Yes money was important but been wanted was important too.

  11. #208
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I'm sure you're right. A magazine cover, that he could have had made himself for less than $100 meant more to him than that extra couple hundred thousand he got.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  13. #209
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,701

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    kingbach's video on Instagram

    Embed by embedinstagram.com



    Yeah, like Bird is going to let him just walk this off season.

  14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  15. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure you're right. A magazine cover, that he could have had made himself for less than $100 meant more to him than that extra couple hundred thousand he got.
    Yeah you are right there is a reason why fortune500 companies and sport teams don't spend thousands of dollars here and there to get the guy they want.. If they only knew how to do it ...
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-26-2013 at 06:48 PM.

  16. #211
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,044

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I vividly recall McKeyFan calling it during Lance's first summer league. I had often agreed with him on things, but I was sitting on the other side of the table on Lance at the time.

    I did not think Lance could guard either PG's or SG's and I didn't think he'd be able to develop a good shot. Well, I was dead wrong. Next time I disagree with McKeyFan I think I'll think twice.

    Anyway, here's all I have to say to McKeyfan and Lance himself:


  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  18. #212
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    The better Lance gets, and the more we can rely on him to bring the ball up the court with the starters, the better of a fit George Hill becomes as well.

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  20. #213
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,044

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The better Lance gets, and the more we can rely on him to bring the ball up the court with the starters, the better of a fit George Hill becomes as well.
    Exactly. I think Hill will be more effective as a 2...on offense. He is a clever player who moves very well without the ball. Lance is the type to find those guys cutting to the basket or out behind the arc.

    Just thinking about this a bit more. If the opposing team's PG is chasing Hill around, he will be less effective running the offense. I understand that effects Lance as well so there is a downside.

  21. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I vividly recall McKeyFan calling it during Lance's first summer league. I had often agreed with him on things, but I was sitting on the other side of the table on Lance at the time.

    I did not think Lance could guard either PG's or SG's and I didn't think he'd be able to develop a good shot. Well, I was dead wrong. Next time I disagree with McKeyFan I think I'll think twice.

    Anyway, here's all I have to say to McKeyfan and Lance himself:
    Don't forget 90's he was in Lance's side since the beginning too.

  22. #215
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I was pro-Lance at first, then the thing with his girlfriend on the staircase allegedly happened and I started reading/hearing about all his red flags in HS and how immature he was as a rookie, and I turned on him, and to this day I still don't trust him, but until he does something really stupid.... I think he's a tremendous asset to the team right now; his best ball to date.

    I'm starting to think we won't be able to keep him at all.

  23. #216

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    @ChrisMannixSI 3h
    Rival execs predicting Lance Stephenson will be worth between $7 and $9 million per season in a multi year deal this summer

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  25. #217

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ChrisMannixSI 3h
    Rival execs predicting Lance Stephenson will be worth between $7 and $9 million per season in a multi year deal this summer
    we can offer that, correct?

  26. #218

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we can offer that, correct?
    yea

  27. #219

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    I said this in another thread as well, but a big advantage we have is Bird is here. Bird has been a huge influence in Lance's life, and one of the big reasons Lance will want to stay is because Bird is here. I think Lance also understands as well how good of a locker room this is for him

  28. #220
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,496

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    How the heck do we not keep him if he continues to play like this? You get creative and find a way. The market is what the market is. You don't pi$$ away your position as a strong contender for the NBA Championship.

    Either pay the price up front in salary or pay it in reduced fan buzz, national buzz, lowered expectations, fewer tickets sold over time, shorter playoff runs, less fan confidence, fewer TV appearances nationally, less talk on national sports broadcasts....

    Unless you think he's not really all that important and it's all a smokescreen OR you think you can replace him without missing a beat and cheaper. Good luck with that.

    BLF isn't just filling up because the team is winning more than it's losing... It's filling up because this team is not only dynamic but also it's feeding IMHO a legitimate vibe that this team is finally the team to bring a NBA championship to Indy. You don't pi$$ that away.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  30. #221
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,991

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't forget 90's he was in Lance's side since the beginning too.
    ***AHEM***


    I've been high on Lance's potential from what I've seen ever since he was making a name for himself in H.S. basketball ...
    Watched quite a few game videos as well as all the youtube clips of games, which you all have probably seen at this point..

    I was surprised that he dropped so low in the draft..and SHOCKED that NY passed on him TWICE , before dropping to us...

    So yea my posting history dictates I am a member of the elite O.G. Lance-A-Lots ... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  32. #222
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How the heck do we not keep him if he continues to play like this? You get creative and find a way. The market is what the market is. You don't pi$$ away your position as a strong contender for the NBA Championship.

    Either pay the price up front in salary or pay it in reduced fan buzz, national buzz, lowered expectations, fewer tickets sold over time, shorter playoff runs, less fan confidence, fewer TV appearances nationally, less talk on national sports broadcasts....

    Unless you think he's not really all that important and it's all a smokescreen OR you think you can replace him without missing a beat and cheaper. Good luck with that.

    BLF isn't just filling up because the team is winning more than it's losing... It's filling up because this team is not only dynamic but also it's feeding IMHO a legitimate vibe that this team is finally the team to bring a NBA championship to Indy. You don't pi$$ that away.
    You said this earlier today.....Lance just gives the Pacers swagger and the entire team feeds off of it. PG is obviously the best player on the team and is an MVP candidate. Roy is the irreplaceable big man who anchors the defense. West and Hill are the stable veteran professionals. But Lance, in addition to being a damn good player, just gives the rest of the team a swagger to it. All of the other players feed off of his energy. From a basketball perspective, he has an ability to distribute which is superior to everyone else on the team. He hits jumpers, attacks the basket, is awesome in transitions, rebounds, can guard bigger players. It's getting to the point where the guy really doesn't have a weakness at all. He has basically become an irreplaceable player.

    We were a great team last year, but our winning percentage wasn't anywhere near this. Lance is a huge reason for this leap. You could see the talent budding last year, which peaked in that Game 6 against NY. But he was playing his first big consistent minutes last year, and most of the time his game had a "I'll play it safe because I don't want to mess this opportunity up" vibe to it. I'm sure that the coaching staff was a big reason for that too. But he played damn solid ball last year and worked his a** off over the summer, so the coaching staff rewarded him with increased ball handling abilities. Now his confidence is just through the roof. It's one of the best feel-good stories in Pacer history.

    The wind will be taken out of my sails if they don't fork up the money to keep him. I think they will because I'm confident that they appreciate the rare opportunity they have over the next few years after living through the miserable 00's. The city has given this organization so much freaking money over the years, often times when many people wouldn't have cared if the Pacers left town. With all of the money the city has given the team, it would be a damn shame to let a talent like Born Ready get away. They owe it to the community who has stuck with the organization through thick and thin. The taxpayers are financial shareholders in this team and Lance is a dividend who should be paid.

    Like I said, I'm confident that they will do the right thing. They can't let Born walk and they know it. But those of us who lived through the Brad Miller saga are understandably nervous.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-29-2013 at 01:39 AM.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  34. #223

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    We are going to keep Lance, I am more certain of that each passing day.

  35. #224
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't forget 90's he was in Lance's side since the beginning too.
    I'm not trying to **** on giving people their due or anything, but why does this matter? Why do people care about stuff like this? We are all going to be right about some things, and we are all going to be wrong about some things. I have never understood why we need to call people out for being wrong or right about a prediction.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  37. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ***AHEM***


    I've been high on Lance's potential from what I've seen ever since he was making a name for himself in H.S. basketball ...
    Watched quite a few game videos as well as all the youtube clips of games, which you all have probably seen at this point..

    I was surprised that he dropped so low in the draft..and SHOCKED that NY passed on him TWICE , before dropping to us...

    So yea my posting history dictates I am a member of the elite O.G. Lance-A-Lots ... lol
    Yeah I forgot about you, I was also on the Lance badwagon but I was not in the same level as mckeyfan and 90's, 90's had a lot of lonely threads arguing by himself with a bunch of people for pages and pages about Lance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •