Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we keep Lance?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How do we keep Lance?

$40 million. That's what it's going to cost to keep Stephenson. The Pacers advantage is they can offer him 5 years and 7.5% raises, compared to 4 and 4.5% for other teams. I think in another thread someone said that a starting salary of $7 million would accomplish that.

As for the all-star team, I wouldn't rule out Stephenson making it. The East is such a trainwreck that you can argue 4 Pacers (George, Hibbert, West, and Stephenson) and 3 Heat (LeBron, Wade, and Bosh) could be on it. Vogel's an absolute lock to coach.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Another thing to remember is that we can go over the luxury tax to re-sign Lance as long as we get back under by the Feb 2015 trade deadline. Copeland and CJ Watson will both be expiring contracts that we can try to move at the 2015 trade deadline if we have to.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another thing to remember is that we can go over the luxury tax to re-sign Lance as long as we get back under by the Feb 2015 trade deadline. Copeland and CJ Watson will both be expiring contracts that we can try to move at the 2015 trade deadline if we have to.
    Agree about Cope, but who is going to play backup point if we don't have CJ? He's pretty good at it and it would be hard to find a cheaper option. He's one of the best bang for your buck backup points in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Agree about Cope, but who is going to play backup point if we don't have CJ? He's pretty good at it and it would be hard to find a cheaper option. He's one of the best bang for your buck backup points in the league.
    GHill? Lance? Sloan?

Not saying I want to trade CJ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Call me crazy but I'm ok with giving CJ a 4 years deal

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Trading Mahinmi and Copeland will free up 7 million. We will probably have 6 or 7 millions already so by trading those 2 we can afford to keep him unless someone offers him the max.
    We certainly will have the room to keep Lance. And, if we lose Lance it won't be because someone elected to pay him the max. It will be because Lance has chosen to play elsewhere.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I was laughed at for suggesting that Lance can get $10m per year last summer. Now that number seems to be everyone's baseline

FWIW, shags brings up a good point about the 5th year we can offer. I would absolutely take Lance at a Hill-type 5 year $40m deal. But I think he'll end up costing more than that.

Bottomline though, I don't think there's any GM who's a bigger fan of Lance than Larry Bird, so ultimately I think we'll match any bid another team is willing to make. Not looking forward to what that's going to do to the bench though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    $40 million. That's what it's going to cost to keep Stephenson. The Pacers advantage is they can offer him 5 years and 7.5% raises, compared to 4 and 4.5% for other teams. I think in another thread someone said that a starting salary of $7 million would accomplish that.

As for the all-star team, I wouldn't rule out Stephenson making it. The East is such a trainwreck that you can argue 4 Pacers (George, Hibbert, West, and Stephenson) and 3 Heat (LeBron, Wade, and Bosh) could be on it. Vogel's an absolute lock to coach.
    What would a $44 mil / 5 year deal look like with these 7.5% raises offer look like?

The most important thing is what the 2014-2015 Salary would start at.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Yeah I didn't even think about the raises. I don't know why anyone would be worried then. Lance can get the max and we can afford it for now.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I was laughed at for suggesting that Lance can get $10m per year last summer. Now that number seems to be everyone's baseline

FWIW, shags brings up a good point about the 5th year we can offer. I would absolutely take Lance at a Hill-type 5 year $40m deal. But I think he'll end up costing more than that.

Bottomline though, I don't think there's any GM who's a bigger fan of Lance than Larry Bird, so ultimately I think we'll match any bid another team is willing to make. Not looking forward to what that's going to do to the bench though.
    We'll be at the same place we are now with a solid 8 man rotation and ( likely ) Solo to develop and some cheap veteran.

The good thing is that with the new CBA....I think that it is relatively easy to get a very solid Wing Man 8th to 9th rotational bench Player at $1 mil a year.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Yeah I didn't even think about the raises. I don't know why anyone would be worried then. Lance can get the max and we can afford it for now.
    I don't think that the Pacers can afford it if he gets the MAX...even at a 5 year offer with raise...without going over the LT.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    We'll be at the same place we are now with a solid 8 man rotation and ( likely ) Solo to develop and some cheap veteran.

The good thing is that with the new CBA....I think that it is relatively easy to get a very solid Wing Man 8th to 9th rotational bench Player at $1 mil a year.
    With the success that we have had, and if we continue to do well, then we could become a choice destination for those "ring chasers" in the twilight of their career...

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I don't think that the Pacers can afford it if he gets the MAX...even at a 5 year offer with raise...without going over the LT.
    It might be a little much, but if we trade Cope and cut Sloan, we could afford a huge contract without hitting luxury taxes with big raises.

Things (I think) I know about Lance:

1. He's a competitor.
    2. He's a very proud player.
    3. He loves to win and be a major cog on a winning team.

Things (I think) I know about our team:

1. We might win a ring this year. If we don't, we're going to come up just short, either losing again to Miami in 7 games or losing to OKC in 6 or 7 games. Personally, those are the only three scenarios that I see possible for this team this season.
    2. If we win the championship, Lance will have played a big role and Herb won't want to see Lance go. If it means paying the tax, he'll do it, because he's 79 years old, worth $2 Billion and really loves the Pacers. Also, the extra money the franchise will have brought in with the increased attendance, TV contract money, etc. will make it more financially viable to do so. If we come up short, we still will have been very close, and it will be clear that we are almost there. We will probably have to move a few things around to keep Lance and stay under the tax, but we won't lose any of the main core, outside of maybe Hill.

Lance isn't going anywhere. It will probably take 4-5 years at 8.5-11 mil a year, but he isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Isaac; 12-24-2013 at 02:17 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/sp...diana.html?_r=

Nice article from The New York Times no less. Harvey Araton seems to believe Lance should stay put:

By next summer, entering free agency, he will be in line for a hefty raise.

“This is a great team — I’d love to stay,” he said, while knowing that the small-market Pacers will have to be creative in able to keep him and avoid the dreaded luxury tax.

For his part, Stephenson may want to take a hard look at the state of the game in his home city and remember how much a stable workplace is worth to an emerging N.B.A. player, born ready or not.

Didnt Bird already openly said that he would resign Lance? After the signing of Paul, Lance was standing behind the press, watching it all, and i quote Bird: You are sitting here next season..

The question is could Bird have envisioned such a big improvement? I guess not. But i still have this feeling that Bird will convince Simon to reach to his checkbook when we win complete the mission. To make a Dynasty run. That will improve the merchandise sale also so reaching to that checkbook will eventually pay back right?
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    With the success that we have had, and if we continue to do well, then we could become a choice destination for those "ring chasers" in the twilight of their career...
    Good point. We might loose Scola, or Hill, etc, but we could get a cheap veteran much easier in the future when they can play with Hibbert, PG, Lance, West..
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

If the NBA salary page is correct, the Pacers have 65.7 million in salary next year with 11 players signed. If the LT is at 73/75 million then we have 8/9 million to resign Lance and sign 2 other players. Doing so means we let Granger walk and probably Scola (whose guaranteed salary is only around $400,00, I think) We don't e. rally have anyway to trade Cope or Ian unless we get 2/3 entry level players in a trade. 3-2nd round draft choices?

There is no way Lance will get $10 million per year. Yes he's having a great stretch, but give him a few games and he'll slump again (like a lot of players) and I'd like to see people re-evaluate his contract.

Granger's contract is coming off the books. If Granger is to remain a Pacer, he'll have to take a huge pay cut.

I see Lance getting something around the MLE
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Here's another way you keep Lance: Larry needs to tell Lance to just ham it up. Do his airhumps constantly. Make it so every team despises him. That will kill his value if GMs think it will destroy a locker room.
    That despite would go right out the window if there's a chance he might be airhumping for them.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Fair point. IMO it was and will forever be an idiotic trade considering we traded for a point guard in the final year of his rookie contract by giving up arguably the most versatile player in the entire draft with twice as much potential and even ability as Hill, and set to be on a rookie contract for the next 4 years. While point guard is an important position, the league is littered with quality players who can play it. It is unquestionably the deepest position in the league, so there is no point in forcing yourself to have to pay for a guy at a position you really don't need to pay much for. Then factor in the importance of wings with length and athleticism who can defend, rebound, and hit a jumper, and then you have an idiotic trade... IMO.
    Not that idiotic, seeing as how we had Danny and a blossoming PG manning the wing positions. We we weaker at pg. GHill has been an important part of the team turnaround. I do like Kawhi Leonard though.

Larry said just last week that he'll make Lance a fair offer this summer but that he's fine in going another direction if he has to. Take him for his word, there is a limit as to what he will pay Lance. We already have 2 max contract players going forward in PG and Hibbert. Hibbert will almost certainly opt out after next year and we'll have to pay him more then Paul again at which point we'll have 2 players making more then 18 mil. I do not want Larry to be in a position where letting Hibbert go is an option. I don't care how much Lance has improved he's not worth losing Hibbert. I could see Larry moving players to keep Lance but I doubt if he'd move George Hill. We can only guess at how far Larry will go but since that's where we are I don't see Larry giving Lance more then 8 mil before letting him walk. We have to face the reality that Granger will likely be gone and if Lance continues to improve between now and this summer then that is becoming another reality that we may have to face. I'm just enjoying this special season for what it is and I'm hoping we can keep Lance within our salary structure.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Life finds a way.

To all you people *****ing about George Hill: The Copeland contract is a bigger killer than Hill's.

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Would a team really invest a lot of their money on such a loose cannon? Lance needs structure. I can't imagine a rebuilding team throwing money at him expecting Lance to be the leader/face of the franchise
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Life finds a way.

To all you people *****ing about George Hill: The Copeland contract is a bigger killer than Hill's.
    What's up with Copeland? He couldn't even beat Butler or S. Hill for minutes at thee SF position
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.