Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The NBA's Possible Solution for Tanking: Good-bye to the Lottery, Hello to the Wheel

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NBA's Possible Solution for Tanking: Good-bye to the Lottery, Hello to the Wheel

I don't mind the idea of making players draft eligible at age 19 (or after freshman year in college). Only things would be that they can't be selected in the 2nd round, 1st round guaranteed contracts only, and possibly only in the top 10 as well, and the contract doesn't start until the player starts playing for the team. It hurts college bball in a way because the big prospects would be taken really fast, but most all the freshman leave anyway their 1st year. The only example I could think of this year would be Marcus Smart may have been taken in the top 10 of this year's draft had he been eligible.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: The NBA's Possible Solution for Tanking: Good-bye to the Lottery, Hello to the Wheel

So it turns out that the draft wheel is the brainchild of Celtics assistant GM Mike Zarren (one of the top young guns in hoops analytics). Particularly interesting because the Celtics seem to be tanking this year. Danny Ainge has a lot of comments in support:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti..._fan_of_losing

C’s Danny Ainge no fan of losing
    New draft proposal worth look

Wednesday, December 25, 2013
    By:Steve Bulpett

The Celtics president of basketball operations understands all the discussion of planned losing that has accompanied his team’s every step since it brought in the heavy reconstruction equipment last summer. Indeed, playing to the current rules, Ainge has set up these C’s to take a shot at the 2014 NBA lottery.

So as Ainge opens his gifts this Christmas morning, there may well be dancing in his head visions of unwrapping a high pick in May when the draft positions are set.

But in terms of basketball morality for the NBA, Ainge has come to believe the defeatist talk has reached a critical mass around too many teams. He isn’t happy that even when his young Celtics play well and show encouraging signs, much of the postgame talk among fans is about the need to lose to create a better chance at a higher pick.

“There becomes too much emphasis on losing, and I don’t really like that, that there’s all this talk about losing,” Ainge said. “At the same time, I understand it’s the world we live in and it’s the system that is set up. I wish we had a better system that wouldn’t reward losing like this, but I understand the system that we’re in and I understand the challenges and difficulties of changing that. But I would hope they would look into that at some point.”

In fact, Ainge and the Celts have been looking into it for the better part of two years.

The intriguing and radical new draft proposal released this week through grantland.com is a local product. The system, which uses a formula to have teams picking in each of the 30 positions over a 30-year span, is the creation of Celtics assistant general manager Mike Zarren.
    (read more)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the only GMs in favor of the lottery are the incompetent ones. The rest would welcome the certainty of knowing in advance what pick they will have, and the pressure of deciding either or not to compete for a low playoff seed in a league where that's supposed to be encouraged.

A guy like Ainge that's been a winner his whole life must be particularly sickened that this trend exists.

I think the fans would welcome the certainty, too. It's miserable late in the season when you don't know if you should be rooting for your team to win or lose. A fan should never be put in that situation.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I think it's fitting that the Celtics are leading the anti-tanking charge. They tried to tank for Duncan and failed. They tried to tank for Oden/Durant and failed too*. But they made a couple of savvy trades that won them a championship anyway. So more than any other team, the Celtics are proof that tanking isn't the only way to win.

*Ironically, if they had successfully gotten Oden, they might never have won anything. Just goes to show, there are no certainties in the draft.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

The NBA has to realize that tanking is a huge threat to the integrity of the sport.

Even the NFL, the clear #1 sport in the USA, has been doing something about late season tanking. The Colts, and likely other teams, tanked late season games that put other teams into or out of the playoffs. The reaction? Game 16 became in all cases division rival matchups to give each game at least a greater change of being meaningful, thus helping to avoid, as much as possible, tank jobs. Game times in game 16 are also getting moved to make it as likely as possible that teams playing have not been assured of a certain playoff slot even before the game begins, thus helping to avoid, as much as possible, tank jobs. I'm a little surprised that the NFL has yet to put in a lottery to prevent the Suck-for-Luck incentive to tank a whole season.

If the top dog (NFL) is worried about this, then the league trying to get there (NBA) certainly must be worried that tanking can play a role in keeping them from advancing beyond a second-tier level of general fan interest.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I support this idea, I just wish there was a way they could implement it sooner, rather than having to wait ~7 years for all the future picks that have been traded to get finalized.