Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird on Granger: He doesn't work hard enough(in the offseason)"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Larry Bird on Granger: He doesn't work hard enough(in the offseason)"

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...h-In-Offseason

What could be Bird's strategy for kinda calling him out like that? Its not like we are going to resign him anyway, so hurting his value doesn't make sense. Just kinda weird to come out and say this, no?

Mood

Default Re: Larry Bird on Granger: He doesn't work hard enough(in the offseason)"

I am confused on this if we are planning to trade Danny. Bird calls it like he sees it though. Maybe trying to motivate Danny, or maybe seeing if they can resign Danny at a lower salary.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Bird on Granger: He doesn't work hard enough(in the offseason)"

Yeah I thought it was weird.

I'm Honestly not even sure how Bird can say this. He probably has no first hand observation of Granger's off season work outs. For the past several years Danny has spent alot of time working out with PG in Los Angeles.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Banned

He is just telling the true.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Putting aside Larry's motives for saying it, I'm really interested in why he thinks so. I'm in the middle of reading a book called The Sports Gene by David Epstein. One of the main themes of the book is that many of the skills we think of as god given or genetic are actually learned and others that we think of as learned are actually probably genetic. For example, the ability to hit a baseball is probably learned, not genetic. MLB players can't hit women's softball pitchers because they haven't learned to read the pitching motion. But pro baseball players almost all have near perfect vision and a small but significant percentage of baseball players have the maximum vision allowable with the human eye.

Anyway, the author spends a good portion of the opening of the book talking about his own experience as a runner in college. He wasn't built like a prototypical runner and I think he said he didn't get a scholarship until maybe his junior year. He was paired with a training partner who had the perfect running body and was highly recruited. When they started the season the author's training partner would blow everyone away but as the season progressed the author would slowly gain ground and eventually surpass his partner, even though they were doing the exact same workouts and on an almost identical diet. The coaches praised the author for being such a hard worker and a gym rat and his training partner was looked at as a disappointment. What he realized then, and what the book spends a great deal of time dealing with, is that different people's bodies respond vastly different to the same workouts.

The point being, I've always thought of the "slow starter" tag as kind of an excuse but this book has made me totally rethink it.

Here's the book URL again, it's kind of hard to see in that block of text:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Sports-Gen...mm_hrd_title_0

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Goodness Gracious will you please let the issue of Danny Granger go and enjoy this season of great basketball!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

It could have been sarcastic and just got lost in translation... or not...

It is hard to say why he said that without seeing the whole interview, and the questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Felt this deserved its own thread. That other Granger thread is just overkill at this point.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Goodness Gracious will you please let the issue of Danny Granger go and enjoy this season of great basketball!
    Ummm, I am very much enjoying the season. This has nothing do to with his injury, in fact, its more about Larry Bird if you read what I said.

Thanks for the lovely contribution though!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Everything I've seen of him indicates that Bird's a blunt guy when he opens up. Just how he is. Like it or leave it *shrug*

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

I think it is weird as well when Bird call out Danny.

I always think Danny is a good to great worker concerning his workouts.
    He never strikes me as a lazy person.
    He, after all, have won MIP, and before that, he have substantial improvement during his first few seasons.

But I always respect Bird's uncanny approach to speak out his mind.

Although I am always a Danny's fan, I grow disappointed and accept his limitation.
    He will never a good ball handler like LeBron.
    He will never learn to be a good iso player like Melo.
    He will never reach the elite status even I would hope him to be at the first beginning.

Is that his laziness or genetic limitation?

Maybe both of them contribute.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

it was a joke

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It is a little hard to say what's going on in Bird's mind there. Couple of thoughts.

After coming into the league, Danny improved his PPG by 5 points a year, 4 years in a row. That doesn't happen by accident, you've got to work to make that happen. So at least when he came into the league, he was killing it in the offseason. The last two years, he's been rehabbing the knee coming into the season. Hard to see what he's supposed to do differently there. So the only possible offseasons where it's possible to criticize his preparation would be 09, 10, and 11.

It's not hard for me to believe that Danny put in less work in 2009 than guys like Roy did this past season. But that's because winning is its own accelerator. Once you win, you want to win more. Guys put in the work because they want to get over the hump. Guys in a losing situation don't wake up with dreams like this:

You've also got to wonder what role the knee played in his offseason. Was he resting it? Hard to say. Also, remember that he played FIBA in 2010. Lot of FIBA guys had a slow start that year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Larry's a couple years behind the times...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...r-just-sarcasm
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

That is from a Kravits article in the star, what I got from it was we are keeping Danny through the end of the year, I sure hope that is so, I would HATE to see Danny traded for someone we wont keep anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'm Honestly not even sure how Bird can say this. He probably has no first hand observation of Granger's off season work outs. For the past several years Danny has spent alot of time working out with PG in Los Angeles.
    So, you are saying that our team President, Larry Bird, has no idea of what his guys do during the off-season? Seriously? There is no way in hell I'm believing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    it was a joke
    Did you read the article (in The Star)? There was no joke to be found. Bird was serious.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    So, you are saying that our team President, Larry Bird, has no idea of what his guys do during the off-season? Seriously? There is no way in hell I'm believing that.

Did you read the article (in The Star)? There was no joke to be found. Bird was serious.

I say that because several other interviews where Bird says that he doesn't even usually talk to his players that much. I can't imagine that he is analyzing their off season work out routines. He normally has an end of the year "what you need to work on" meeting and a beginning of the year "what need to work on in training camp" meeting.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    It could have been sarcastic and just got lost in translation... or not...
    Yea. Bird has a few of Pop's personality traits.

He may have simply been asked a question about Danny's slow starts. It could be that Bird assumes that the only reason players have slow starts is because they don't work as hard in the off season.

Danny may just be the type of player that lets his body rest up (perhaps hoping to avoid injuries..yea..) in the off season instead of trying to get better.

I do like how everyone is talking about this quote, and forgetting that Bird also said our team finally feels complete with Danny playing.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He may have simply been asked a question about Danny's slow starts.
    Probably, and he probably answered it with a little bit of sarcasm with his dry humor. How many times have we seen him open up a press conference and crack a stone cold face joke at someone else's (usually Wells) expense?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I say that because several other interviews where Bird says that he doesn't even usually talk to his players that much. I can't imagine that he is analyzing their off season work out routines. He normally has an end of the year "what you need to work on" meeting and a beginning of the year "what need to work on in training camp" meeting.
    And if several of those beginning of the year meetings have started with, "well Danny, you need to get in shape, and try to get ready for the season, because you clearly haven't put in the work this summer," then that could make sense why Bird would say this now.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sometimes its hard to keep up with a thread that's 59 pages long. I'm glad the original poster created a new thread.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    And if several of those beginning of the year meetings have started with, "well Danny, you need to get in shape, and try to get ready for the season, because you clearly haven't put in the work this summer," then that could make sense why Bird would say this now.
    Sure, that's a reasonable guess. But what year would that be?

It wasn't 2013... he was rehabbing the knee.
    It wasn't 2012... he was rehabbing the knee.
    It wasn't 2011... Paul George was working out with Danny and talked about how hard he was working.
    It wasn't 2010... Danny was already in shape from spending the summer playing on the Gold-winning FIBA team.
    Maybe 2009.
    It wasn't 2008... Danny won MIP and increased his scoring from 19.6 to 25.8ppg that season.
    It wasn't 2007... Danny increased his scoring from 13.9 to 19.6ppg that season.
    It wasn't 2006... Danny increased his scoring from 7.5 to 13.9ppg that season.
    It wasn't 2005... That was the season he was drafted. He was working all summer long.

So is the theory that Danny didn't work out very hard in the summer of 2009? I don't have any way of knowing, but I can't argue against that. I don't think you can safely use that single data point to prove a trend, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: