Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Week 16: @Chiefs

Default Re: Week 16: @Chiefs

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/24/nfl-div...ars/?eref=sihp

I hope the colts read this, it's pinpoint
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would like to see more of the short passing to Richardson. Get him out in space and not many people want to try to tackle a guy with his power. I would try to get 5-7 of those each game. He is a very good RB who has been getting stuffed because teams have been putting more defenders in the box and on some occasions they have met him in the backfield almost as soon as he is getting the ball. I think next year will tell a lot about his fitting in with the teams philosophy. I would like to see Luck audible to a passing play when he sees 8 or 9 in the box and see if they adjust to it, and if they do, keep the formation like it is in the audible and then run or short passing to him in the flat. Right now it looks like we are setting him up to fail.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/24/nfl-div...ars/?eref=sihp

I hope the colts read this, it's pinpoint
    Pep & Chuck have been a disappointment in regards to adaptability and OL player evaluation. No doubt the Colts need to get creative with the blocking schemes but that needs to be coupled with some aggression. Come playoff time Luck should be in the "hurry-up" 2-minute offense for 75% or more of the snaps. It keeps the defense locked into certain personnel sets and I like Luck calling the plays from the line of scrimmage better than Pep from the sideline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This week's win guaranteed that the Colts have now gone two years without losing consecutive games. Absolutely incredible.

One reason I haven't gotten 'too' down on Pagano even amongst some questionable play calling is there is the legitimate injury excuse playing a small part, and a larger part being he's also the guy that hired Arians for last season as OC. So it's hard to totally say he's inflexible about the offense. Perhaps he's just loyal to the guy he hired (or was pushed to hire... whatever the situation might be).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    One reason I haven't gotten 'too' down on Pagano even amongst some questionable play calling is there is the legitimate injury excuse playing a small part, and a larger part being he's also the guy that hired Arians for last season as OC. So it's hard to totally say he's inflexible about the offense. Perhaps he's just loyal to the guy he hired (or was pushed to hire... whatever the situation might be).
    I agree. When you look at the "big picture", it's been another wildly successful season by any objective measure. 10-5 (I should just go ahead and say 11-5 since there is no way Jax beats us here) with a bunch of injuries. Incredible wins @SF, Sea, Den, @ KC. When you look at the big picture, it's really hard to criticize Pagano too much. Also, I think he definitely deserves a lot of credit for last season even though Arians was on the sideline for most of the games. Pags laid a winning mentality foundation in training camp which set the tone for the entire season.

I do think that Pagano has that "Dungy factor" to him in that players love playing for him and would take a bullet for him if they had to. He is a great motivator and guys are proud to play for him just like they were Dungy. This is something that I always felt Caldwell lacked. He seemed like a nice guy, but I just don't think he inspired that underlying fire in his players. This is something that makes Dungy and Pagano such successful coaches.

Now, the team did look absolutely dreadful in the month of November. The head coach definitely deserved some substantial blame for the Colts' horrific starts to games. We looked absolutely dreadful. But you just cannot overstate the impact of the Reggie Wayne injury. It completely zapped us of our swagger for a month and it even hurt the team beyond the offensive side of the ball. I think that the entire team was depressed about losing such a legendary respected professional. Not having his security blanket presence in the offense was a lot to get adjusted to, but it looks like we have finally started to successfully adapt.

Peyton Manning always had either Harrison or Wayne in the offense, and often had both. Plus he had Dallas Clark for a long time. Peyton never had a receiving corps as pedestrian as what we have now. I like T.Y. Hilton a lot, but I just think we need to realize that his ceiling is likely going to be that of a WR2. I think that the shoulder injury is bothering him, but nevertheless, I just don't see enough from him to think that he will ever be true WR1 material. He is certainly super quick and can burn defenders, but you have to have more than that to be a WR1. He's small and just doesn't seem to have the ability to out muscle defenders for contested balls, plus he hasn't yet shown the ability to get open quickly in sticky situations like Wayne. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot and hope he is here for a while, but I just don't think we can ever depend on him as a WR1.

Coby Fleener is solid and I think can be very good next year in some 2TE sets, but he is what he is. He can have some big games, but then can completely disappear for a couple of weeks. Whalen, Brazil, and Rodgers have all stepped up to make some plays in recent weeks, but I don't think that any of those guys are going to blow your socks off. The point I'm trying to make is that our receiving corps without Wayne and Allen probably have some of the lowest talent in the NFL. We just don't have an abundance of talent to work with and it took some time to figure out how to make it work. Thankfully it looks like they have in recent weeks. This isn't Marvin Harrrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark. Along with the offensive line, priority number 1 this off-season needs to be bringing in another good receiver. I hope Wayne comes back healthy, but he will be 36 next season and is coming back from a brutal injury. We need to look at the long term picture.

I sympathize with the fact that our coaches had a lot on their plate after the Wayne injury. It was ugly at first, but these last two weeks have been super impressive. Bouncing back against Houston and KC is a testament to the coaches righting the ship. Overall, the season gets an A.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-26-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    .............. would take a bullet for him if they had to............
    Good post. Good opinions.

Now, is anyone else just tired of hearing lines like the above ?? I can guarandamntee you that if any player had the choice between themself or Pagano getting shot, they would say 'Sorry coach ....'

I understand the comparison - sort of - no, I guess i don't - but any cliche or saying that compares any sport to war or something similar is just ridiculous and has long worn out its welcome. Maybe we can just go with the 'run thru a brick wall' ??

Sorry - nothing personal ..............

I haven't been following this thread so maybe ya'll already know this. I had no idea. From Conrad Brunner:

The Chiefs have a gaudy record (11-4) but have just two victories over teams above .500 Ė Dallas and Philadelphia in the second and third games of the season.
    http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2013/12/...ld-be-spoiler/

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Peyton Manning always had either Harrison or Wayne in the offense, and often had both. Plus he had Dallas Clark for a long time. Peyton never had a receiving corps as pedestrian as what we have now. I like T.Y. Hilton a lot, but I just think we need to realize that his ceiling is likely going to be that of a WR2. I think that the shoulder injury is bothering him, but nevertheless, I just don't see enough from him to think that he will ever be true WR1 material. He is certainly super quick and can burn defenders, but you have to have more than that to be a WR1. He's small and just doesn't seem to have the ability to out muscle defenders for contested balls, plus he hasn't yet shown the ability to get open quickly in sticky situations like Wayne. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot and hope he is here for a while, but I just don't think we can ever depend on him as a WR1.

Coby Fleener is solid and I think can be very good next year in some 2TE sets, but he is what he is. He can have some big games, but then can completely disappear for a couple of weeks. Whalen, Brazil, and Rodgers have all stepped up to make some plays in recent weeks, but I don't think that any of those guys are going to blow your socks off. The point I'm trying to make is that our receiving corps without Wayne and Allen probably have some of the lowest talent in the NFL. We just don't have an abundance of talent to work with and it took some time to figure out how to make it work. Thankfully it looks like they have in recent weeks. This isn't Marvin Harrrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark. Along with the offensive line, priority number 1 this off-season needs to be bringing in another good receiver. I hope Wayne comes back healthy, but he will be 36 next season and is coming back from a brutal injury. We need to look at the long term picture.
    I agree about Hilton 100%. Important big play/stretch the defense threat needed by any productive offense but not a primary option. Also think that Da'Rick Rodgers has a good chance next year to become what Grigson hoped DHB would provide this season.

IMO Fleener will be a serious deep seam threat next year assuming Allen comes back healthy and can fulfill the blocking TE/chain mover role. Those two could become a middle class man's version of what the Patriots hoped they were getting in Gronk & Hernandez.

Getting a legit #1 Wide Receiver in the next two-years will be pretty important for the progression of this team. I'd love a Chris Carter type big/physical receiver for this role. The kind of guy Luck can count on to run good routes and then out compete DB's for the ball.

As for Pagano & Grigson I guess I'm hopeful but far from convinced they are the guys needed to get this team another Lombardi trophy. Next years draft, offseason acquisitions and offensive approach will tell the tale. I'm cheering for them because once Luck get's his first big contract the task of building a balanced team that can truly compete for Superbowl's will only get more & more difficult.

To me the most pleasant surprise of the year has been Manusky. Aside from Mathis & Davis that defense really lacks top NFL talent and has been hit by the injury bug as well. The DC has got a lot out that unit and has proven over and over again he can make NFL level adjustments and do NFL level preparation.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

The price to keep Luck might actually stay reasonably grounded if we don't try and run a pinball score style of team that relies too heavily on the QB. Might...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden